Scarlet's Plan - Elder Dragon vs Elder Dragon

in Living World

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

I believe we have a ED vs ED battle coming up. According to a recent interview with ANET (see https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore/New-lore-interview-to-Anet-lore-team/first#post4227196), they stated:

“the dragons are separated by enough distance and their wake times are staggered such that they are able to sustain themselves and return to their more dormant state without having to battle each other for the magical resources they consume.”

2 key points here are distance between the dragons and time of awakening. Both of these cases have been skewed by Mordremoth. Mordremoth woke up earlier than the usual 50 year gap AND it is not restricted to just Maguuma (its vines spreading to places far beyond Maguuma).

My guess is Mordremoth will step on some other dragon’s toes and we will end up having an ED vs ED battle (perhaps Kralkatorrik seeing as how Living Story is headed to Ascalon now). Was this what Scarlet planned when she forcefully woke up Mordremoth? Is this what she meant when she told Caithe that Tyria would need Scarlet? Having an ED take out another ED, or at least weaken them this way so it would be easy for us to destroy them?

(edited by Vesuvius.9874)

in Living World

Posted by: Sorann Peace.9056

Sorann Peace.9056

A good thing to note here is that in What Scarlet Saw, I believe Scarlet refers to “turning opposing forces against each other.” or something to that extent. Originally, people assumed she was talking about the Dream and the Nightmare Court. She could however be talking about Elder Dragons, in which case, your speculation is absolutely spot on fantastic and coincides completely with her short story.

As an aside, back when Mordremoth was speculated to be behind everything, I sort of speculated to myself about that specific part of the short story and wondered if she was referring to Elder Dragons, and while it seemed to make some degree of sense to me, I don’t think I or anyone else brought it up before.

in Living World

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

My thorough dislike of Scarlet makes me wish this would not happen, I wouldn’t want her getting any vindication, but it would make for an interesting story and maybe some cool events. Time will tell.

in Living World

Posted by: Ariella Goldstein.3562

Ariella Goldstein.3562

It’s also possible we’ll see a conflict with Jormak since Mordremoth (her sounds like a Godzilla character) is extending his vines into the Shiverpeaks, most likely toward the Priory and it’s magical item store.

Also interesting to note: the Priory has one artifact that is created from the essence of Jormak. What happens, if anything, if another one of the Elders devours it?

in Living World

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

@SkyFallsInThunder:
Even this this would have been Scarlet’s master plan, I would not call it vindication. Two Elder Dragons fighting each other would result in massive war that would destroy any civilization that happens to be caught in the middle. A fight between Elder Dragons should be stopped at all costs, and would be a good goal for the Living Story protagonists (i.e. us) to pursue.
In fact, removing (or moving) the ghosts of Ascalon could be a part of such a plan, as it could serve to lure Mordremoth away from other Dragon-infested areas. Since ghosts are explicitly defined as “magical constructs” – in GW1, the Mursaat even used the ghosts of their Chosen victims to power their magical batteries – a large group of ghosts would be the perfect bait to distract a hungry magic-eating Elder Dragon.

@Ariella Goldstein:
There is another artifact created form the essence of Jormag, and it is in Hoelbrak. The Fang of the Dragon (belonging to Jormag itself) is suspended there, awaiting the mighty champion who can destroy it. Then the norn will know that the time has come to attack Jormag.
(In the novel “Edge of Destiny”, Eir unsuccessfully tried to damage the Fang. Rytlock then offered to strike it with his ridiculously powerful flaming sword, but Eir did not let him.)

in Living World

Posted by: Ariella Goldstein.3562

Ariella Goldstein.3562

@SkyFallsInThunder:
@Ariella Goldstein:
There is another artifact created form the essence of Jormag, and it is in Hoelbrak. The Fang of the Dragon (belonging to Jormag itself) is suspended there, awaiting the mighty champion who can destroy it. Then the norn will know that the time has come to attack Jormag.
(In the novel “Edge of Destiny”, Eir unsuccessfully tried to damage the Fang. Rytlock then offered to strike it with his ridiculously powerful flaming sword, but Eir did not let him.)

You’re right, though i tend not to think of the Fang as an “artifact” per se since it really doesn’t have any purpose but to hang there until Arthur… er the mighty champion breaks it i half (grin). It also doesn’t seem to have the properties of the sword in that it’s not corrupting the entirety of Hoelbrak, where the sword was definitively corrupting its wielder. Of course, this probably has something to do with how the sword was formed (the magic involved etc)