Sparring Rock achievement

in Living World

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Admittedly, I’m having a heck of a time with this one. I’m wondering how many of you have this achievement already and what did you do to get it? At the moment, I’m pretty irked that my Phantasms are doing zero damage to Nochiti. Wondering if it’s a bugged?

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Living World

Posted by: Mityr.1320

Mityr.1320

Got it today, with my warrior, lot of stability + shield 5. Anyway i had the luck to have a guardian on the platform, aegis and stability

in Living World

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

I got it with my ranger. Traited signets and RAO with boon duration for the win.

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Did it with my Guardian. Found that it doesn’t matter if you get knocked on your butt, it just matters that you don’t fall off that top part. Knowing that I was able to use dodges and stand at the center when Nochtli used that unavoidable big jump thing. However, Stability and Aegis were major helps.

in Living World

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

As a warrior you can get a stance which gives stability, you can use Shake It Off to get back on your feet after being knocked down. Endurance regen signet allows you to dodge twice (essentially making you get hit just once every time he does his pattern). You can also use your shield to block two of his hits. I heard from others that you can avoid it by jumping but I have no idea if that’s actually true. He also appears to be immume to certain ranged dmg, that is probably why your mesmer copies didn’t do damage.

in Living World

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability.

Did I mention stability?

On a serious note, he only has a few moves which have the potential of knocking you off of the top, either requiring you to move out of the cone, dodge out, or jump in some circumstances. Generally, it is easier if you have a small group with you, which makes you able to burn him down fast and thus reduce your chances to fall off. If you face him alone, it will be much more of a challenge.

in Living World

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

2nd try on my thief. blindfield is your friend.

in Living World

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Admittedly, I’m having a heck of a time with this one. I’m wondering how many of you have this achievement already and what did you do to get it? At the moment, I’m pretty irked that my Phantasms are doing zero damage to Nochiti. Wondering if it’s a bugged?

First is the scream attack, circle to the back and you’re set.
Second is the stab in pie sections, keep circling while you attack (I used Sword/Pistol)
Third is the little circles, just don’t stand in them, relatively easy.

Then last is the stomp big circle attack, that’s the doozy. Blurred Frenzy through the first, dodge the second and third, stability from the mantra isn’t a bad idea if you can’t dodge/blurred for whatever reason. Between those 3 things you should be set.

If you can keep your back to the side with the jumping crystal on it, if you do screw up and get knocked back there’s more of a chance of you not falling off completely there and you can grab the crystal and hop back up.

GL hope that helps.

And I went ahead and summoned duelists, they get knocked back to the edges but being NPCs they can’t get knocked off, so you don’t really have to worry.

I ran sin/zerk gear and a 64004 build mainly because that’s what I generally run around with. Done it solo on my Guard/Mesmer so far, it’s fun, hoping to get a chance to try solo on my other guys but haven’t yet.

in Living World

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

Just leech. If more than 5 players are fighting, stay below until NPC’s hp bar decreases to %5. Then jump up. Pop stability. Hit hard. Win.

in Living World

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Just finished that event 3rd time without getting knocked off (not even to the air jump thingy…) and no achievement.

This is just…. I dont know… why is it that anet cant release achievements that are NOT bugged in any way?

in Living World

DeWolfe.2174

I went ahead and summoned duelists

My IWardens just stand there swinging away with 0..0…0….0….. damage inflicted. To be honest, I’m getting really tired of this fight. I’ll try duelist but, why they should work and not Wardens should be explained by a Dev. The fight takes way to long solo without the aide of phantasms.

Don’t be surprised Dev’s if a LARGE bag of Salt ends up at the office with a snark remark on it!!!!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Living World

DeWolfe.2174

Just leech. If more than 5 players are fighting, stay below until NPC’s hp bar decreases to %5. Then jump up. Pop stability. Hit hard. Win.

Did it your way, worked

Though here’s a screen cap of a fight with Iduelist not hitting either. I absolutely do not appreciate being handicapped this way.

Attachments:

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Living World

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

Trait for and slot stability skills. Use blocks. Stay on top of him and spam first skill. That way you can position yourself behind him so most skills wont hit you. Stay on top of him and just jump in place when he uses his stomp skill. Learn his pattern so you can anticipate. Burst him down only in combination with stability. I found doing it solo is easier. The more players there are the larger the chance of your view being obstructed.

And remember, practice makes perfect.

(edited by OmniPotentes.4817)

in Living World

Posted by: Starscream.6498

Starscream.6498

I did it as a warrior:

I put some points in defense to get Sure Footed and Last Stand, I let her first stomp proc Last Stand, immediately after I activated Balanced Stance, followed by Dolyak Signet, followed by a timed Stomp on her next CC, then I used Rampage. When you get out of rampage Balanced stance is just off cooldown, and after that she was dead very soon

in Living World

Jerus.4350

I went ahead and summoned duelists

My IWardens just stand there swinging away with 0..0…0….0….. damage inflicted. To be honest, I’m getting really tired of this fight. I’ll try duelist but, why they should work and not Wardens should be explained by a Dev. The fight takes way to long solo without the aide of phantasms.

Don’t be surprised Dev’s if a LARGE bag of Salt ends up at the office with a snark remark on it!!!!

I guess they didn’t hit, but I got my 9% extra damaeg still.

And what’s new, mesmer being handicapped…

in Living World

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

My last attempt to post got eaten somehow, lets try this again.

Then last is the stomp big circle attack, that’s the doozy. Blurred Frenzy through the first, dodge the second and third, stability from the mantra isn’t a bad idea if you can’t dodge/blurred for whatever reason. Between those 3 things you should be set.

The stomp attack is actually like the Molten Brawler/Berserker’s stomp attack from past Living Stories. You can avoid it by jumping, so you don’t need to find a way to have three dodges. The timing is pretty forgiving on it too.

in Living World

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Thief, Dagger/Pistol. Pistol 5 on her if/when evades are down and you can’t get behind her in time.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

in Living World

Posted by: Sorann Peace.9056

Sorann Peace.9056

Did it with my Guardian. Found that it doesn’t matter if you get knocked on your butt, it just matters that you don’t fall off that top part. Knowing that I was able to use dodges and stand at the center when Nochtli used that unavoidable big jump thing. However, Stability and Aegis were major helps.

That jump isn’t unavoidable. There’s a reason an arrow that points up appears when she does that move. YOU’RE supposed to jump as well. That’s how you avoid it, by literally pressing the space bar. As for everything else, it’s just about not standing in the fire. What are you guys doing? Not dodging at all? And it’s not the first time we’ve had a “jump to avoid” mechanic either. Tequatl, anyone?

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

That jump isn’t unavoidable. There’s a reason an arrow that points up appears when she does that move. YOU’RE supposed to jump as well. That’s how you avoid it, by literally pressing the space bar. As for everything else, it’s just about not standing in the fire. What are you guys doing? Not dodging at all? And it’s not the first time we’ve had a “jump to avoid” mechanic either. Tequatl, anyone?

Maybe its just lag, but the times I tried to jump, I would be in mid-air, at the zenith of my jump, and still get knocked back. Mechanics like this are not fair to players with poor internet connections, and I’d say mine is actually on the good side.

(edited by Vexander.9850)

in Living World

Jerus.4350

My last attempt to post got eaten somehow, lets try this again.

The stomp attack is actually like the Molten Brawler/Berserker’s stomp attack from past Living Stories. You can avoid it by jumping, so you don’t need to find a way to have three dodges. The timing is pretty forgiving on it too.

Ohh that’s cool, good to know. Wasn’t too hard to find that extra dodge for everything I’ve run it on so far but still good to know

in Living World

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

As a warrior you can get a stance which gives stability, you can use Shake It Off to get back on your feet after being knocked down. Endurance regen signet allows you to dodge twice (essentially making you get hit just once every time he does his pattern). You can also use your shield to block two of his hits. I heard from others that you can avoid it by jumping but I have no idea if that’s actually true. He also appears to be immume to certain ranged dmg, that is probably why your mesmer copies didn’t do damage.

Jumping does work. I avoided that part with both my Warrior and Guardian. As long as they are timed right you should be good. I got nailed when I slipped up (I have a hard time focusing for longer battles) and it got me. I may switch to a shield for additional and see if that works.

in Living World

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Had like 10+ people there the time I got it on my Necro, just stood there behind some big burly Charr warrior and ate away her health, didn’t even have to move.
The first time I tried there was like 5 of us there and we all got knocked off the platform at like 1% health lol.

in Living World

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

This achievement is very difficult because of the current lag problems. I set everything to minimum and still the lag is terrible. Her rotating attack happens all at once. Her big aoe knocks you off before you can see it.

I was able to finally get the achievement with a guardian. I traited 0-6-0-2-6. In Radiance, I ran the sword traits and used Sword/focus. This gives blinds and blocks. In Honor, I took Superior Aria for “Stand Your Ground” and “Retreat.” And in Virtues, I took Master of Consecrations for Hollowed Ground, Indomitable Courage for another stability, and Supreme Justice (which you can change for something else, maybe elite focus to allow Renewed Focus to last a little longer.).

This gave me enough blinds, blocks, and stability to last the fight and was forgiving for mistakes/lag.

(edited by DaShi.1368)

in Living World

Posted by: WildHeart.8209

WildHeart.8209

Did it on my Ele 4 times so far
still no achievement…

Not sure what am I doing wrong

I fought her from the start and didn’t even fall from the top of sparring rock at all
out of 4 times I even did it solo

Some tips on her atk :
when you get her down to 50%
her rotating cone atk will go in clockwise direction instead of counter-clockwise
and she will use ground slam 4 times instead of 3

(edited by WildHeart.8209)

in Living World

Posted by: Shardelyss.4807

Shardelyss.4807

I know the mechanic of this fight. It’s very easy to avoid spots and to jump when the big circle is out.. the problem I have is that I get huge number of players on the rock spamming so many spells that I can’t see the smaller circles. I can definitely time the leaps, but player spells… ugh. Hard to see through the mess of them.

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I did it on the first day as a Necromancer. You don’t need any stability, blinds or other easy-modes.

Just understand the mechanics and move your fat kitten .

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Living World

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

There’s actually a thread in the bug reports forum where people (myself included) are beating her without ever getting knocked, much less falling off the platform, but aren’t getting credit. I’ve done this fight a bunch of times, won four times without every falling off, but still haven’t received credit.

Tempted to cheese it and do as PhoenixIin suggested, but I think I’ll just try with a different character instead.

Edit: welp, tried with thief and did blind spam instead and got the achievement. Seems like the bug is character-specific, for whatever reason.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

in Living World

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

If you have party with someone you can log out and log back it reset it if you was knocked out and you can try again. Best way is wait till he have low HP and jump up there with long term stability like Tornado, Rampager ect.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Living World

DeWolfe.2174

I believe most of our problems are lag related. I was just running up the ramp to get to the fight. Grabbed the crystal above her cave entrance and rubber banded down to ground level at her cave entrance. Which wasn’t in my tracked path to even rubber band back to…. OY!

Seriously, wth is this lag? Skills just flash constantly and it’s even bugging my eye’s out. This while I’m at 175 FPS even! Some map shards are just horrid. It’s really not even playable today.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

in Living World

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

Did it with my Warrior, 0 stability, get off the AoEs, and when they cover the entire rock JUMP, up and down, not off the rock.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Did it as a thief. D/P, used Black Powder whenever she was starting her stomp thing. Another thief joined in and the thing never got a single hit off of any of the 6 of us there. We all got the achievement.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Living World

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If you can keep your back to the side with the jumping crystal on it, if you do screw up and get knocked back there’s more of a chance of you not falling off completely there and you can grab the crystal and hop back up.

I am pretty sure ending up on the section with the crystal will invalidate you for the achievement. On the first attempt of that event that is the only place I fell(accidentally dodged rolled off the top rock >_<) to and it didn’t complete the achievement.

in Living World

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

Pretty sure Khisanth is right. It’s the top rock you need to stay on, if you fall down to the second level with the air crystal you have failed the achievement.

I finally succeeded after getting incredibly lucky. Using jumps, I’d managed to avoid all her slams. Then I finally mis-time it and she hits me, but she gets defeated as I’m sailing through the air off of the platform, and I got the achievement just before I hit the ground. The timing on that was perfect!

in Living World

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

To ‘jump-avoid’ the big AoE attack, do you just spam the space bar or is there some timing involved?

in Living World

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

To ‘jump-avoid’ the big AoE attack, do you just spam the space bar or is there some timing involved?

I am guessing you have to jump as it lands. Not sure what the margin of error is. The game is very inconsistent with those. Some things you can dodge a full 2 seconds ahead while others have to be exact.

in Living World

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

I had really dumb luck, his jump and knockoff move threw me into a void, about 1 foot from the edge of the top. I was standing in mid air and the blasts after went right under. I kept fighting till we defeated him. Stray pixels FTW.

in Living World

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

I did it first time I tired, here is something that might work for you:
Doing it solo or with 2-3 people could be pretty difficult. Try to find a map where there are more people doing it. Since it happens in a small area (top of the rock), you usually get all the boons from others around.
Class is also an important choice. I find warrior and guardian to have easy time with this. Not only stability, but other skills as well.
Thing that saves you from falling off does not always have to be stability, evades/blocks work very well (for example warr – offhand sword or shield). Guard usually gives party-wide aegis, so ask a friend to bring him there and help you out.
DPS matters because the faster you kill him, the less you have to worry about not making any mistake. Burn him down quickly.
(Blinds should work as well making guard extremely helpful but I really don’t know how reliable they are in zerg setting. General advice is rely on your own skills and well-timed dodges.)

in Living World

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

Anything that makes you immune to CCs through procs of stability do well. As a warrior I have: Dolyak Signet, Balance Stance, Signet of Rage, and Defiant Stance (being that I use Greatsword and Rifle).

The one attack you need to watch out for is the 360 ground-pound she’ll use. What I did was as soon as I saw the telegraphic attack, I give half a second and jump. She’ll do this two-three times in a row.

Keep to her back and beat her down asap.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

You can also cheese it a little by waiting on the platform with the lightning crystal until you see her health dip to about <40%. Then pop a long-lasting stability skill (e.g. Rampage as One or Tornado), leap over to the platform, and join the others in burning her down as fast as possible. That’s what I did for my achievement, after the crazy lag over the weekend basically frustrated all my attempts to get it normally.

in Living World

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

The timing on the jumps to avoid the big AOEs gets faster with each slam. The first one, you probably want to wait a good half second before jumping (you’ll see her charging up her slam, which is a better visual indicator of when to jump than the circle if there aren’t too many players blocking your view). The second time, you might want to wait a quarter second. The third time (and fourth if she’s below 50% health), you want to jump the moment you see the red circle appear. If you accidentally jump too early on the first couple of slams you can sometimes save yourself by immediately jumping again when you land.

Also keep in mind that she always starts firing her blow gun facing to the north-east, and then spins in a circle firing either counter-clockwise when she’s above 50% health, or clockwise if she’s below 50%, and she will switch directions mid-attack if she drops below the threshold during it.

Alternatively, get onto a Tier 4 map. There’s usually enough players fighting her that she goes down before she gets to do the big slams, and then it’s just a matter of staying behind her other telegraphed attacks.