[Spoiler] Marjory

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

My take on the matter is that you’re “The Boss” and you should start putting your foot down a lot more than you do.

Why is every other character allowed to “speak their mind” and “do whatever they want” besides us? We constantly are undermined by these useless characters and do nothing about it.

We (the player character) are no longer wide-eyed heroes in training. We are hardened veterans who is responsible for killing TWO Elder Dragons already. A lot more respect from these people is deserved.

At this point Rytlock is the only one that speaks to you as an equal and like an adult.

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Really? I thought the problem was with our character to be honest. Usually we are more willing to let our team members do their own thing and meet back later. Now it suddenly was an issue.

Personally i don’t think my toon should be ordering everyone around and having Marjory go off with Lazarus to keep an eye on him seemed like a good idea. Not sure what our objection was – she can clearly handle herself and Lazarus wanted to harm her, well he would have done so by now.

yeah i felt this to, we are the commander that gets easilly manipulated by every other characters.

(..)
At this point Rytlock is the only one that speaks to you as an equal and like an adult.

Indeed uncle Trombone is the best npc atm, Anet is doing a good job with Taimi as well, a character that i used to hate, Caithe i feel that the character migh become to lame, if they insist in all this forgiving plot thing, i rather see Maj and Caith with cut relations, while Caith starts pushing Maj to be much of a loose cannon, that will do something crazy, as she will end using Lazarus for something, since lazarus resurected, it made me sense that she would try to rez her sister.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: Krinstin.6287

Krinstin.6287

My take on the matter is that you’re “The Boss” and you should start putting your foot down a lot more than you do.

Why is every other character allowed to “speak their mind” and “do whatever they want” besides us? We constantly are undermined by these useless characters and do nothing about it.

We (the player character) are no longer wide-eyed heroes in training. We are hardened veterans who is responsible for killing TWO Elder Dragons already. A lot more respect from these people is deserved.

I agree completely, i find it stupid how even Taimi gets to push you around and send you on errands for her.. Who is the guildmaster now?

I would be glad if we for once werent manipulated or led by everyone again.
Sure, we have to do the hearts etc, but it could be implemented like in HOT where you told others what to do and then went to do the hardest thing yourself.
HoT made you feel like you were truly a commander.
Now you are just a pawn again, even through you are suppoused to be the leader of the best dragon killing guild ever.

Id be happy with pc as Aurenes slave- uh i mean champion, but beigh pushed around by majory, caithe or even taimi? Not cool.

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Vyrulisse.1246

I agree completely, i find it stupid how even Taimi gets to push you around and send you on errands for her.. Who is the guildmaster now?

I would be glad if we for once werent manipulated or led by everyone again.
Sure, we have to do the hearts etc, but it could be implemented like in HOT where you told others what to do and then went to do the hardest thing yourself.
HoT made you feel like you were truly a commander.
Now you are just a pawn again, even through you are suppoused to be the leader of the best dragon killing guild ever.

Id be happy with pc as Aurenes slave- uh i mean champion, but beigh pushed around by majory, caithe or even taimi? Not cool.

That’s a good point about HoT. It feels like our character has regressed since then.

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

… Control issues, much?

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Vyrulisse.1246

… Control issues, much?

Not at all. Just tired of being the patzy while everyone else gets character development. If they wanted to give our player character an actual character then they should give it the attention they do everyone else. It’s the natural progression of how they’ve built up our character. We are “the boss” as everyone calls us yet no one ever listens to us and they talk to us like we’re still a new boot.

Heart of Thorns did a good job progressing us as taking charge but like I said up there, it feels like we regressed.

(edited by Vyrulisse.1246)

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

It seems more that she has a plan to manipulate Lazarus, and doesn’t want the commander to know, since he’d never agree to it. Act like she has joined the Mantle, serving Lazarus…and then backstabbing him or giving us info. Jory had always been the detective of the group after all.

I was thinking the same way. I don’t feel she would actually betray the Commander. She is basically doing what she does best which is investigate.

Plus her acting the way she did is essentially ‘bait’ for Lazarus. If he is trying to manipulate us, he’ll see what Marjory said as a possible rift to exploit. Which is most likely something she wants.

This is what I think too, more or less. Dunno about full on joining the mantle, but the general idea of her figuring him out is the point of that dialogue.

She wasn’t being rude for the sake of it, it’s part of the game. Marjory’s clever like that.

Push comes to shove in an absolute worst case scenario we could kill Lazarus, at the cost of a few lives (Marjory’s, but she put herself out there). We killed two dragons.

He’s not much worse, even with the bloodstones magic. It would be a fight for sure, but it could be done with considerably less effort than an elder dragon.

Rather indeed, the dialogue is bait. I mean he was in earshot. It would be an excellent way to test his character.

I personally want to believe Lazarus has changed and we’ve gained a new powerful mursaat ally in the war against the dragons.

That the white mantle can become a true force for good, and basically not only help the world but take a major burden off the back of the human seat of power.

But these things also seem quite familiar to the happenings of the past when golden unseen gods presented themselves as saviors only to be treacherous monsters.

It’s a very hard sell and I can totally see why our PC isn’t exactly quick to trust our new “friend”, even if he did come to our aid.

(Which was unexpected, BA, and awesome; he even let us use spectral agony/judgment!)

I love it. It’s great writing. An excellent story so far and I’m very eager to see where this all goes.

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

That’s cool Maggie, you don’t want to follow me, fine. But maybe you shouldn’t have appointed me the leader of this little group, and maybe you could stop calling me commander. Then you go do whatever the eff you want, k?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

It’s a very hard sell and I can totally see why our PC isn’t exactly quick to trust our new “friend”, even if he did come to our aid.

Moreso if your character is a Charr or Human. The human is unlikely to forget what the Mursaat did with the White Mantle, and the charr is more likely to question it simply because they were raised not to trust “gods” or their followers (Flame Legion does that to ya).

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

To me, Marjory’s defiance seemed more like… a sudden crush on a “bad boy”. Yeah, I know her history but sometimes a person becomes attracted to another person (..or, even skritt) they usually wouldn’t go for. Something about that person (or skritt) just …appeals, you know? It doesn’t have to be rational. Maybe anet is setting up an interesting love triangle.

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

People are expressing surprise and dismay at the nonsensical, teen magazine writing of the characters in this game? No way!!!! Who woulda thunk it?

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Moreso if your character is a Charr or Human. The human is unlikely to forget what the Mursaat did with the White Mantle, and the charr is more likely to question it simply because they were raised not to trust “gods” or their followers (Flame Legion does that to ya).

Too bad he doesn’t capitalize on ammunition against Charr, given what started the Mursaat+Human alliance!

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Too bad he doesn’t capitalize on ammunition against Charr, given what started the Mursaat+Human alliance!

What would that do for him? Besides maybe get him killed right there? The mursaat of the past have openly and brutally betrayed humanity.

The charr of today have yet to break the accord struck with humanity. We’re all still friends VS food/bloodstone fodder for the unseen gods.

Charr: 1 Mursaat: 0

Rather he was wise to appeal to the “I’m useful and I’ve forsaken my past, let me be helpful” angle of things.

An appeal for forgiveness and acceptance.

Anything less or some kind of attempt to justify his past actions would have been appropriately met with hostility.

He handled that well and he was very helpful in a time of need there. On that merit his claims are something to consider.

Marjory’s on the case.

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

I loved what she did, she is a Necromancer that fights along her dead sister’s soul in her GS.

If she ends up making her sister into a monster or not by replicating what brought back Mr. Laza is something else, but I do love when NPC go their own way.

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: Less.1265

Less.1265

^ That could be a good idea. Trying to rez Belinda…. It works but she’s not herself but a monster or something like that.
To me Jory was so weird in this episode… Always calling us Boss before and then, just like that, “don’t tell me what i can or can’t do”…..
It seems there are some big troubles between her and Kasmeer. It was said at the end of HoT, and with what’s happening now…!

I have some bad feelings for Jory. I really like this character but i dunno why, i think she’s going to make some bad decisions and that’s not gonna be good for her.

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

Realistically, I’d think characters speaking out of turn against the commander is bad…
But I quite like the characters to also have a backbone.

Marjory has always been loyal up until now so I’m thinking she must have a good reason to have been a bit short.

I’m hoping she ends up dating Lazarus and dumps her bimbo girlfriend. She deserves to be loved by a strong independent Mursaat, who don’t need no man. Lazarus is so dreamy…

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Ugh…regardless of the reasoning behind it, this little bit felt stupid, and out of nowhere. She has no real evidence that he actually returned from being dead. We just know that he was weakened from the last time we saw him, though he’s clearly found a way to live this long (then again, we have no idea how long mursaat live normally, and with their magic, they could extend that.)

Ultimately, Marjory is trying to shadow a being, who, even without a portion of the bloodstone’s power in him, probably has a few ways to remove someone that gets too nosy. And so far she’s given no clear motive for doing so (we can speculate about it, from resurrecting Belinda to wanting to learn something from Lazarus, or…gods forbid, those fools that think a sudden attraction to a Mursaat somehow makes any sense), and no backup plan or safeguard for if things go wrong (which, unless the writers genuinely plan for Lazarus to be a good guy now, things will almost certainly go wrong.)

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

The entire scene was poorly done from the moment Lazarus appeared.
Our character thinks he can threaten a magical being who already absorbed a bloodstone is ridiculous. Then we get Marjory acting as if she can manipulate or even “keep an eye” on such a powerful entity is garbage writing.

welp remind me is magical being that absorbed one bloodstone really more powerfull than elder dragon?

which is sort of raw magical force of nature?

we killed two of those and currently are actively working on the third [and maybe forth]

the whole mention of not being able to “just easilly put him down if he turns on us” means that we would need to focus resources we have on him to do so and that sort of things is difficult when you are in the middle of battle against much more powerfull elder dragon

also counter magic for the win every trick he could throw at us in straight up combat we can reflect back onto him

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

[Spoiler] Marjory

in Living World

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Absolutely not kittened off. I loved her for that part, she is a character of her own and never ever I felt kittened or offended or whatever. I saw it rather like she wanted to risk something to help us. Seems I think vastly different in many ways that the huge rest of players (same with Trahearne which I liked or Taimi which I dislike).

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong