*Spoiler* Whose death was more impactful?

in Living World

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

most here say which one was sadlier for them..
titles says more impactful..

so i answer both

belinda was a redshirt and it was almost clear that she will die when the vines started to spread and fort salma.. well..^^
im surprised she lived that long..

drooby died right be4 my eyes.. well.. not really but i wanted to give him some money and see if anything had changed with this update if he says something… or if now anything happens and.. i couldnt
so drooby is sadlier for me.. (he will never be forgotten :-( )

impactfull is another thing
on the one hand lots of golds will stay in player hands… thanks to drooby not goldsinking anymore..

however since belinda seemingly “lost her sword” and i bet in two weeks the black lion trading company “found it” and wants to make some profit via gem shop…
overall belindas death ( just because of her nice weapon that i will guaranteed buy) will have more impact.. i guess

in Living World

Posted by: The Colorless Wolf.6703

The Colorless Wolf.6703

I didn’t find the relationship between Belinda and Marjory to be believable, they sounded more like distant acquaintances than family. Also, Belinda seemed like nothing more than a ditsy girl whose only purpose was to attempt to show a different side of Marjory, and in my opinion, it failed. I felt nothing when Belinda died, and felt nothing when her sister mourned. It all felt so… artificial.

For that reason. Drooby’s death felt more impactful.

Mains:
Kosgar Iceborn – Norn Necromancer (PvE Main)
Vinnor Swiftpaws – Charr Engineer (WvW Main)

in Living World

Posted by: raahk.2786

raahk.2786

Drooburt. Belinda’s death was obvious from the moment she was introduced. It feels like the personal story all over again, and I am not referring to the death of your mentor, but rather to the deaths of characters we are introduced to one mission that are instantly killed in the next.
I do not feel for an undeveloped character that is killed off for cheap pity, or to further the story along.

You knew more about drooburt then you ever did belinda.

in Living World

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

drooburt, obviously. quaggans are cute.

did I get a fancy sword off of the humans body? i think not

is the quaggan cuter? yup

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Drooburt and I don’t even know who he is. Shows how much impact Belinda’s death meant.

in Living World

Posted by: LunarNacht.8913

LunarNacht.8913

Apatia. Man, it was all my fault… We shouldn’t have left her there all alone..

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Sad thing is, her death in particular we could’ve prevented, had the game let us have the choice to go and save her immediately.

in Living World

Posted by: Sergoros.4398

Sergoros.4398

Good thing they allow us to climb this vines. I let my hero /dance on this special vine and then w8-ed for this emo scene to end. U laughed at Scarlet death. Well. I danced on your dead sister.

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Good thing they allow us to climb this vines. I let my hero /dance on this special vine and then w8-ed for this emo scene to end. U laughed at Scarlet death. Well. I danced on your dead sister.

Anet doesn’t understand how lame Belinda’s death meant. When you get guys dancing own her corpse laughing you have done a bad job.

Do the writers even know what they are doing? back to community college/night school with you hacks. Even dragon ball ‘Z’ kills off planets and that is designed for 7 yr olds. Grow up writers, you’re like fossils that think that fraggle rock was edgy.

in Living World

Sergoros.4398

Anet doesn’t understand how lame Belinda’s death meant. When you get guys dancing own her corpse laughing you have done a bad job.

Do the writers even know what they are doing? back to community college/night school with you hacks. Even dragon ball ‘Z’ kills off planets and that is designed for 7 yr olds. Grow up writers, you’re like fossils that think that fraggle rock was edgy.

Funny thing is. Some sidecharacter, about whom u not care dies > emo scene. Crycrycry.

Important meaningful character, whom we knew for almost a year dies > “HarHarHar! Finally she is dead! lets think some fun jokes about it.”

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

The Invasive Weed was not meaningful, nor important for any good reasons.

in Living World

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

He was a stupid Quaggan in the dessert.

I wish I knew what got him so far flung from a place no sensible Quaggan would be. I felt bad for him, and I think a lot of people donated gold rather than copper or silver because he was so out of his element.
I figured he’d at least be able to WP to a better place..

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

in Living World

Sergoros.4398

The Invasive Weed was not meaningful, nor important for any good reasons.

Well…duh…guess someone did not read the journals and wasnt paying attention in s1.

in Living World

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

Rurik, RIP. 12345

in Living World

Posted by: Clonk.8403

Clonk.8403

The first people I saw hanging from those vines where Inquest in the Shining Cave. I did not feel sorry for them as such, but the manner in which they were killed and then just left hanging for the sport of carrion feeders showed a callous disregard for life in general.

Belinda`s death was no less effective in that regard, and it also served the intended purpose of making us feel sympathetic towards Marjory. However seeing her hang there like a limp rag-doll literally strangled and squeezed to death must be a horrible way to die if you think about it. I think it had more impact this way than if we saw her die in a cut-scene. Either way, the outcome would have been the same. The only thing I would do differently is have us fight our way to Fort Salma and then finding that we were too late.

I recall a Quaggan begging for money in Prosperity, but I paid him little to no attention. He happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Killing a loved one for the sake of character development is hardly new, it happens all the time in fiction. You might ask why your character is involved in the fight against the Dragons. The loss of your mentor might make you more determined to fight them, or it might have the opposite effect. Are the countless lives lost worth fighting the inevitable if all it leads to is more suffering? Perhaps Scarlet was right after all and we should just speed up the process and let it be over with.

Anet has an opportunity here to explore the darker side of Marjory, and it would be interesting to see how that affects their relationship. Seeing the DE 2.0 fussing over Braham`s broken leg, Marjory`s cracked rib and Taimi`s obsession with Scarlet is just filler. Let`s see them do something with it.

(edited by Clonk.8403)

in Living World

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

None of the above.
The only deaths in game I’ve care about so far are the ones related to the Order mentors.

in Living World

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Belinda only has an impact if you are a Human Noble and have defeated Zhaitan. Any other scenario makes her feel like a nobody.

I was actually looking forward into meeting her and her mother back in Divinity’s Reach. I thought she was kinda flirting with my character and my character flirts back. It seems that ArenaNet was leading us to a brighter tomorrow only to pierce my heart for letting her die.

When the two forts were know to have been attacked, I wouldn’t choose to go to Concordia first knowing that Fort Salma was also in trouble. But I guess either way Belinda’s tragic ending was set and even if I choose to go to Fort Salma, ArenaNet have already killed her, so it didn’t really mattered.

EDIT: By the way, good job ArenaNet, great story — you did got me there. You kittened me off for killing Belinda.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

(edited by Sir Vincent III.1286)

in Living World

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Tybalt.

Definitely Tybalt.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Living World

Posted by: Dark Skeeve.2695

Dark Skeeve.2695

Belinda. I was hoping against hope that they would kill off Jory and incorporate Belinda in her place in the crew.

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tybalt.

Definitely Tybalt.

It wasn’t all that bad.

. . . apple pie?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Posted by: M Steel.2574

M Steel.2574

^This.

Apatia’s death was brutal. Not only was it your fault she ended up in the state she was in, but you had to put her out of her misery. For a character that only showed up in your personal story a few times, her death was pretty devastating.

The only deaths in game I’ve care about so far are the ones related to the Order mentors.

I agree. The deaths of the Order Mentors were impactful, but the one that got me the most was Magister Sieran. Everytime I hear her say, “There was so much left that I wanted to see,” it hits me right in the feels.

in Living World

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

Seeing this has gravitated to ‘whos death overall’ was most impactful… For me it was the death on the Island fight with Zaithan’s boat forces attacking. Now I have a horrible memory for names, but I do remember that I hadn’t slept much in the days that I played it, it was also rather late, and I may have been yawning at the moment… But yeah, that moment hit me rather hard…

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

in Living World

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Men, here is my predictions.

Majorey will now be grief stricken, causing her to think less rationally, this will most likely cause a rift between her and her lover.

Rox is starting to show jealously towards Tiami, which will most likely cause her to speak out, which brahm will try to defend, this causing another rift between the three (why you always taking her side?…I’m not!…etc).

And Tiami is starting to get too overgofident in her abilities that a major mistake will be coming soon to knock her down. We’ve seen this as she was lying to us about probabilities of success (or living). Andonce that mistake happens, it will trigger everything else.

in Living World

Posted by: Clonk.8403

Clonk.8403

I`ll only say this once, but Magister Sieran certainly made the most impact of any characters to die so far. On a side note as I tend to role-play my characters, she was the perfect counter-part to my grumpy and by the numbers Asura.

in Living World

Posted by: Yuino.2684

Yuino.2684

Tybalt.

Definitely Tybalt.

I’m still waiting for a moment where the PC does something really great (looks to Zhaitan) and a NPC comes up and says something like “You know, <Name>, you mentor, <NameofMentor>, would be proud if s/he would be here.” and your PCs just like: “(deep breath and atleast one tear, because seriously, we all cried at that moment, I think) I know…”

But yeah, Tybalt was more of an impact for me, because you know him longer. But that is also why Belinda is more impactful for me than the Quaggan (which I never even knew lived hides under a table, because she sinned badly). Belinda also shocked me, because though I knew it was going to happen, it just happened so … shortly. In one moment she lives, than the boss fight, I die because Kas and Jory suddenly disappear, they always stand at the beginning again for now kittening reason and then the cutscene after that fight … I was so rushed, that it actually made an impact on me for exactly that reason. One thing that’s going to be interesting is what ANet is going to make with the kinda development of Jory which should kinda take place with Belinda’s death.

in Living World

Posted by: comanche.6813

comanche.6813

Tybalt was my favorite NPC ever. No questions asked. Even though I haven’t met the other mentors.

Drooburt for me, Belinda didn’t really have time to be our friend before she died, I feel kinda sad for Marjory though. But hey, we asked for character development and depth. If they give marjory a (subtle) personality change that would be cool.

in Living World

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Men, here is my predictions.

Majorey will now be grief stricken, causing her to think less rationally, this will most likely cause a rift between her and her lover.

Rox is starting to show jealously towards Tiami, which will most likely cause her to speak out, which brahm will try to defend, this causing another rift between the three (why you always taking her side?…I’m not!…etc).

And Tiami is starting to get too overgofident in her abilities that a major mistake will be coming soon to knock her down. We’ve seen this as she was lying to us about probabilities of success (or living). Andonce that mistake happens, it will trigger everything else.

Then the same thing will happened to Destiny Edge 2.0 when we facing the Jungle Dragon, similar to what happened to the orignal Destiny Edge when they were fighting Crystal Dragon LOL…

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Well, sure, except if that happens then all we do is hot-dial our favorite guildmates and go “need backup”. Or wait for being saved by the blue dorito.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

I don’t know who Dooburt is, but I honestly didn’t Belinda’s death had any impact at all.

The cinematic where Marjory and Kasmeer discovered Belinda hanging from a tangleroot was greatly animated, but the sequence afterwards absolutely killed it for me.

I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but Marjory’s voice acting is absolutely terrible. She is just as bad as Trahearne, there is zero emotion or change of pitch in her voice, and as a result of that it completely broke my immersion.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

in Living World

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

Tybalt.

Definitely Tybalt.

Yeah I remember thinking the charr backpacks were ugly. Then I got a Tybalt one … and built an entire armor look around it.

He was that awesome.

For me, Belinda’s was more impactful. I thought Anet did a good job portraying Marjory as a private griever … I really related to that. Lost my dad early this year, and maybe that made me appreciate how they have her trying to keep it together. Not everyone is about public displays of grief, and not everybody easily cries in front of others.

I don’t think we were supposed to care about Belinda for ourselves … we were supposed to care for Marjory’s sake. At least for me, it worked.

I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but Marjory’s voice acting is absolutely terrible. She is just as bad as Trahearne, there is zero emotion or change of pitch in her voice, and as a result of that it completely broke my immersion.

Heh, different tastes I guess. I thought it was really well done.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

(edited by Rainshine.5493)

in Living World

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

I’m sure that some people felt attached to Belinda a little, especially the Anet devs who spent months obsessing over the finer points of her character as they worked to get her in the game…only to take her out of the game. Its also going to affect Marjory for a long time.

….but for me…..meh. I saw her exactly 3 times in the whole living story. This is different from Tybalt (or other order mentors) who you dealt with for a huge chunk of the personal story. I genuinely felt kind of down and demoralized when I had to fight him in the Nightmare Chamber.

in Living World

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

Let me put it that way:
Who is Belinda?

in Living World

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Whose death was more impactful? Taimi’s.

If only she had died. Then again, that might be going too dark for their tastes.

i don’t think they’re even allowed to kill her, she’s a child. she can’t even be depicted in combat, which is why she gets stuck inside that golem during fights.

Tell that to Raisin face!! You can even talk to their mother about how the miasma had killed them and the vigil soldiers just ripped their limp body from her arms.

Anet just won’t kill her on screen, they’re far from not killing children!

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Living World

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

Whose death was more impactful? Taimi’s.

If only she had died. Then again, that might be going too dark for their tastes.

i don’t think they’re even allowed to kill her, she’s a child. she can’t even be depicted in combat, which is why she gets stuck inside that golem during fights.

Tell that to Raisin face!! You can even talk to their mother about how the miasma had killed them and the vigil soldiers just ripped their limp body from her arms.

Anet just won’t kill her on screen, they’re far from not killing children!

offscreen deaths are ok. lion’s arch deaths are ok. raisin is just a statistic.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Living World

Posted by: darkfiremew.5937

darkfiremew.5937

Belinda. Not because she was an interesting character…. but because our hero rushed to the rescue and she died anyway.

Summed up my feeling exactly. I don’t care about that quaggan’s death, I cared more for the money I spent on him thinking he’d give me a buff, or an item, or something. I’m sad about the fact that I couldn’t save big Beli for Marj and Kas’ sake and I’m angry at the quaggan that stole my money. I get angry a lot more than sad. Point to Belinda’s death.

in Living World

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Belinda.

Now I don’t have to listen to the god awful “dialogue” between Marjory and Kasmeer.

I was gonna say neither but you brought up a great point…

Tybalt.

Definitely Tybalt.

They haven’t had a cool character in this game since Tybalt & Forgal..

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Forgal I can give you, grudgingly.

. . . but I really am not that fond of Tybalt as a character.

in Living World

Naus the Gobbo.5172

I hated Forgal, and I think Taimi is better than Tybalt.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

For me, it was:

Sieran > Tybalt > Forgal.

Forgal had some good moments, but on the whole I never really bonded with him. The most interesting thing he ever said was how he was the son of the last Dolyak shaman, but I’ll never get to know more about that because they were his last words. >:(

Tybalt had a nice blend of humor, witticism and good sense, but I found his moments of self-doubt a bit tiresome. Look at what we’ve achieved, Tybalt! Trust in yourself! And if you can’t trust in yourself, then trust in ME. (Strangely, Aerie from BG2 was even more mired in self-doubt, but I found that adorable about her.)

Sieran had me facepalming a few times, but I found her attitude rather refreshing. I also found the line where she said she’d never fallen in love to be rather sad. Since it seems that Sylvari who die do not have an afterlife, I regret that she never had the chance to experience the joy of it.

in Living World

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Well, lots of people thought Twilight was high-art, so..

in Living World

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

I’m used to stories written for adults. The minute Belinda was introduced, I knew she’d die. I have no emotional investment in the Sesame Street version of Guild Wars.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I agree that I didn’t feel much for Belinda when she died. (How could I? I barely know her!) But I DID feel sorry for Marjory, and for Kasmeer’s inability to comfort the one she loved. That was enough.

in Living World

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Though this is about those two NPCs, I’ll just go ahead and say Tybalt.

in Living World

Posted by: Clyan.1593

Clyan.1593

Most impactful death? Zhaitan.

“Bagh Nakh! Bagh Nakh!”
– Dark Lord of Moshpoipoi

in Living World

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Forgal, by far. And it was infuriating how Scarlet taunted you in Nightmare Within when you got to face your mentor in one of the rooms and she was all “Teacher’s pet, teacher’s pet, how dead did your mentor get?”.

Belinda’s death was unexpected and, while she was not that present in the story so far, her connection to one of the main characters made her important. I especially liked how they handled the situation and the dialogues regarding this. I hope to see more of the same quality writing in the next installments of the LS.

in Living World

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Well, lots of people thought Twilight was high-art, so..

Aaaaand lots of people initially criticized LOTR for being pedantic and anemic. Your point?

(Referring to the books, Naus. Just so’s ya know.)

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

in Living World

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

When I looked at Belinda’s death scene, I thought it looked familiar. Like I’d seen it in some Japanese anime somewhere before… ;D

in Living World

Naus the Gobbo.5172

When I looked at Belinda’s death scene, I thought it looked familiar. Like I’d seen it in some Japanese anime somewhere before… ;D

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

I ate an apple in Tybalts name

in Living World

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Drooburt’s death by far, it made me think. Did anyone else notice that he did actually get to buy his drink? It was right there, next to him: an elixir of heroes. Why he didn't drink it for the invulnerability buff, I don't know.

3 seconds of invuln is kitten useless in that situation, just like in most situations.