Storyblog: Notes from Rata Novus.

in Living World

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I found it a quite interesting read, and subject to many theories.

Definitely seems like Taimi needs some sleep!
I was also wondering where the other 7 entries are as it start with #8.
What do you guys think?

Notes from Rata Novus, Part 1:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/notes-from-rata-novus-partone/

Notes from Rata Novus, Part 2:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/notes-from-rata-novus-parttwo/

Notes from Rata Novus, Part 3:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/notes-from-rata-novus-partthree/

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

in Living World

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I think it means Taimi went missing again and part of the first episode will be to rescue her. There is a reason we started on log #8, someone found it after she was gone.

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I found it a quite interesting read, and subject to many theories.

Definitely seems like Taimi needs some sleep!
I was also wondering where the other 7 entries are as it start with #8.
What do you guys think?

Notes from Rata Novus, Part 1:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/notes-from-rata-novus-partone/

That was awesome! She sounded like I did when I was showing people from the Alliance I was in in GW1 to do FoW and the underworld, down side was they where from the US, and I live in the UK. Finishing it then having to jump in the shower and start getting ready for work was fun, for a week, then I told them they had to get quicker lol.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

in Living World

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Of course she needs sleep. Caithe needs to be held responsible (or at least partially) for the death of the Pact & the death of those peaceful centaurs and Wynn.

in Living World

OriOri.8724

How is Caithe in any way responsible for that first bullet there? It wasn’t her fault, its not like she could have prevented it

in Living World

Zeivu.3615

How is Caithe in any way responsible for that first bullet there? It wasn’t her fault, its not like she could have prevented it

Hello: She knew before almost everyone that Slyvari were originally property of Mordremoth and she let Treahearne and countless other Slyvari go straight into the battle, in his territory, without giving him any warning. It might not have stopped Mordremoth from bringing down the ships, but it could have definitely stopped him from immediately claiming weaker Slyvari, fanning the flames, reduced the causalities, and stopped the racist hatred from being planted towards them. She practically handed the Pact and her Slyvari brothers/sisters to him by not giving Treahearne this critical intel. No general worth their salt would have allowed this risk if they knew of it.

(edited by Zeivu.3615)

in Living World

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

Hello: She knew before almost everyone that Slyvari were originally property of Mordremoth and she let Treahearne and countless other Slyvari go straight into the battle, in his territory, without giving him any warning. It might not have stopped Mordremoth from bringing down the ships, but it could have definitely stopped him from immediately claiming weaker Slyvari, fanning the flames, reduced the causalities, and stopped the racist hatred from being planted towards them. She practically handed the Pact and her Slyvari brothers/sisters to him by not giving Treahearne this critical intel. No general worth their salt would have allowed this risk if they knew of it.

I don’t even want to start the whole Caithe thing again, but I do have to say one thing. Edit your post and correctly spell Sylvari.

Back to the topic. I found it an interesting read also. She was very vague sadly. I do wish to know EVERYTHING she found out in ‘Data Novus’. I want to be there with her and help her with all the data

in Living World

FrizzFreston.5290

The gate powering up makes me wonder though. Considering only a very select amount of people knew about it, let alone someone who knows the right configuration for the gate.

(Makes me wonder, how do gates exactly function anyway? I thought they needed the right configuration on both sides)

in Living World

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

Who’s to say that the configuration on the Rata Novus side wasn’t just how they left it when they used it last? And maybe they saw the blast of energy like Taimi did, and fired back up the gate….

in Living World

FrizzFreston.5290

Ah right, of course. I’m mixing it up with the other asura gate that we used to enter the dragon lab.

I sort of figured we used that gate to get out of the dragon lab, but it seems the episode just ends there, rather than sending you through the gate.

However, it IS connected in Tangled depths if you do the jumping puzzle in order to reach it. Now I need to head back there to make sure. xD

EDIT: Yeah, It leads to the Rata Novus Command center.

in Living World

OriOri.8724

I don’t think that makes it her fault in any way. For one, what would trahearne have done? “Oh I’m sorry guys, I can’t come with you”? That wouldn’t have worked out very well at all. Mordremoth would have attacked the fleet regardless of whether sylvari were on it or not

in Living World

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

There’s no way to defend Caithe except by admiting she was extremely confused and choose really poorly a bunch of times. It still qualifies as negligency on her part, even if she never intended to harm anyone.

Back to Taimi, I liked the effort on the blog entry writing, but I think it doesn’t with the best dialogues from her in game. I blame her lack of sleep, but still.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Living World

OriOri.8724

There’s no way to defend Caithe except by admiting she was extremely confused and choose really poorly a bunch of times. It still qualifies as negligency on her part, even if she never intended to harm anyone.

Back to Taimi, I liked the effort on the blog entry writing, but I think it doesn’t with the best dialogues from her in game. I blame her lack of sleep, but still.

I’m not trying to defend her, I don’t think she has anything that needs to be defended.

in Living World

Posted by: King Cephalopod.7942

King Cephalopod.7942

…I don’t think she has anything that needs to be defended.

That is trying to defend her.

A little savagery now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Don’t cry, Signet of Mercy. Others may forget you, but I will always remember.
Our deficiencies may be overcome by practice and self-discipline.

in Living World

Posted by: King Cephalopod.7942

King Cephalopod.7942

I’m thinking we’ll get to read the other logs when we try to go into the gate after her, but this one will be the first we’re introduced to since the story will probably start “Taimi’s gone missing, we found this.”-Someone with D.E. 2.0

Most important takeaway is to keep an eye on that plant. Might have some secrets to learn, hidden away in the mesophyll.

edit-spelling

A little savagery now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Don’t cry, Signet of Mercy. Others may forget you, but I will always remember.
Our deficiencies may be overcome by practice and self-discipline.

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I think it means Taimi went missing again and part of the first episode will be to rescue her. There is a reason we started on log #8, someone found it after she was gone.

Why do I have a feeling it will lead to the Mists?

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Living World

Zeivu.3615

Did you read anything that I wrote? I don’t think you did…. At all. Anyway, You wouldn’t try to put out a gas fire with more gas, would you? No, only a kitten would. Trahearne is a war general. There are always alternatives in war. After his efforts with Zhaitan, he knows what alternatives to aim for. Stop trying to defend Caithe. She deserves some punishment for her incompetence and negligence .

I don’t think that makes it her fault in any way. For one, what would trahearne have done? “Oh I’m sorry guys, I can’t come with you”? That wouldn’t have worked out very well at all. Mordremoth would have attacked the fleet regardless of whether sylvari were on it or not

@Urosh Uchiha.9732 – Oh noes, I spelled an imaginary word wrongs! Get over it.

(edited by Zeivu.3615)

in Living World

OriOri.8724

Did you read anything that I wrote? I don’t think you did…. At all. Anyway, You wouldn’t try to put out a gas fire with more gas, would you? No, only a kitten would. Trahearne is a war general. There are always alternatives in war. After his efforts with Zhaitan, he knows what alternatives to aim for. Stop trying to defend Caithe. She deserves some punishment for her incompetence and negligence .

She didn’t even do anything wrong except steal the egg.

in Living World

RyuDragnier.9476

She didn’t even do anything wrong except steal the egg.

Which may be part of her Wyld Hunt, or at least something Glint may have told her in advance years ago (it’s possible, she predicted way too much stuff).

[hS]

in Living World

FrizzFreston.5290

Seems Part 2 is here.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/notes-from-rata-novus-parttwo/

Added the Link to the opening post as well.

Seems Rata Novus couldn’t be a secret for too long. Hopefully she can keep the lab a secret though.

Also I’m totally picturing Taimi with a Dolyak cub rather than a full sized one.

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Darn, the portal was from Rata Sum, not the old Rata Novans.

Braham in Hoelbrak, new Sylvari can still be born … hmm. Guess we’ll see a Hoelbrakian funeral rite? And can the new ones be podded sans any Mordy input or is this another clue that Mordy’s gone into hiding as part of a mind game? Or maybe they were ripening in the pod from before his death, as we haven’t yet heard of new pods forming … but most likely ANet has to establish that sylvari character creation still makes lore sense.

in Living World

FrizzFreston.5290

Well, Mordremoth send his energy outwards, surely some energy would be absorbed by the pale tree.

in Living World

Ardid.7203

Interesting, really interesting. And the Asura, as always, incorregible and reckless. I love to hate them.

Hawks

in Living World

RyuDragnier.9476

Interesting, really interesting. And the Asura, as always, incorregible and reckless. I love to hate them.

It’s sad, out of all the races, they give me the most to hate about them. But then you have those ‘gems’ within the asura like Zojja, Taimi, and the asura PC that make you like them.

[hS]

in Living World

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

Just read the two blogs, and it was pretty fun/cute to read. I still need to continue the HoT story (only recently entered AB).

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

in Living World

Posted by: ATMAvatar.5749

ATMAvatar.5749

I liked the two blogs, though from a story perspective, I think it would be better if Taimi were actually sending them to us via in-game mail.

BTW RyuDragnier, don’t forget Tonn and Ceera

in Living World

RyuDragnier.9476

I liked the two blogs, though from a story perspective, I think it would be better if Taimi were actually sending them to us via in-game mail.

I could never forget Tonn. I still regret that choice to this day.

[hS]

in Living World

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Rip Plant, you were such a good character.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

in Living World

OriOri.8724

Why? Its not a letter shes sending us, its a data log. There’s no logical reason for her to send that to us through the mail system.

in Living World

Donari.5237

It’s not even something she’s sending to us in any format, it’s her personal journal that the players get to read outside the game for some lore knowledge that the characters don’t have yet. Perhaps in the story we’ll stumble upon her journal, who knows? Meanwhile there’s no more reason for her to hand over her journal than for any of us to publish our personal diary.

Oh wait … we’re in the time of Facebook, Twitter, and blogs. I can see why some people used to the current no-privacy-everything-on-public-view culture might have a gut instinct that this journal is available to anyone in game with a monitor. (Not saying that is your reaction, ATM! Just had a sort of cultural cognitive dissonance moment and it made me think about that paradigm shift in privacy issues. Along with musings on how RP has helped me learn to compartmentalize knowledge in ways useful both in games and in criminal trials, which is a separate discussion).

in Living World

FrizzFreston.5290

I wouldn’t mind everything ingame, however for larger pieces such as this it will turn into multiple mails. An idea would be a mail whenever there’s something in the blog that could be of interest. But I dunno, that could turn into spam quickly.

in Living World

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I don’t think that makes it her fault in any way. For one, what would trahearne have done? “Oh I’m sorry guys, I can’t come with you”? That wouldn’t have worked out very well at all.

It would’ve worked out better than hundreds of (sylvari) pact soldiers turning on us.
Getting your ships torn out of the sky is worse enough. Having a large part of your force turn against you on top of that is even worse.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Living World

OriOri.8724

I don’t think that makes it her fault in any way. For one, what would trahearne have done? “Oh I’m sorry guys, I can’t come with you”? That wouldn’t have worked out very well at all.

It would’ve worked out better than hundreds of (sylvari) pact soldiers turning on us.
Getting your ships torn out of the sky is worse enough. Having a large part of your force turn against you on top of that is even worse.

Like they weren’t going to turn anyway…..

in Living World

Donari.5237

I think the point there is that they were positioned in the heart of the fleet where their turning did tremendous damage. So a warning could have let Trahearne take precautions against this sudden yet inevitable betrayal, perhaps change his plans entirely, saving many lives.

Maybe Caithe felt honor bound by her promise to Wynn not to reveal the secret, even all these years later. Sylvari have an Arthurian ethos, and in the old Arthurian tales knights did very stupid things because they could not/would not break their oaths. Perhaps she felt that Trahearne pulling all sylvari out of the Fleet would mean the secret would get out. Maybe Caithe thought Dreamers would resist the Call, or didn’t realize the Call would come, and believed that there was a greater danger to her people from the other races if they got outed as minions than there was to the other races from her people. Her oath to Wynn was to keep the secret so that the world would not turn against the sylvari, after all.

I’m not particularly advocating any of these possibilities, but I can see some nuanced reasons for Caithe’s silence other than a case of plot-enforced stupids.

in Living World

Ardid.7203

It’s sad, out of all the races, they give me the most to hate about them. But then you have those ‘gems’ within the asura like Zojja, Taimi, and the asura PC that make you like them.

Don’t get me wrong, Ryu: I DO love Asura. My main is a tiny asura engie, and my second is a fierce asura reaper.
I simply think their skeptical and dry know-it-all approuch to everything is deligthfully refreshing, and their petulant and deadpan way to interact with other people is incredibly fun. The other races feel mostly inane in comparison. Asura insults are just the best ever!
They are hateful, yes, but in the best posible way.

I think the point there is that they were positioned in the heart of the fleet where their turning did tremendous damage. So a warning could have let Trahearne take precautions against this sudden yet inevitable betrayal, perhaps change his plans entirely, saving many lives.

That quote, hahaha, made your post twice worth of reading.

Hawks

in Living World

Donari.5237

Oops, I used yet instead of but. Silly me. Still that was the reference and I was hoping others would catch it.

With Caithe’s (second) Wyld Hunt done, I wonder where she’ll go next. Would she have any interest in a city filling up with asura lab researchers? That might have very unfortunate associations for her. Though given that Braham’s back in Hoelbrak there may be hope that we’ll get story that picks up on happenings around the world, possibly even events unfolding in parallel to give Tyria’s narrative more scope, and thus Caithe could end up most anywhere.

in Living World

FrizzFreston.5290

I didn’t think Sylvari had more than one Wyld Hunt. let alone on going on more than one. Personally i think Caithe is trying to fight the dragons still. And the egg and zaithan head on is just part of that. She wont be done until the end.

On asura, I never saw them as hateful or incorrigible or whichever. They are definitely self-centered, but rarely (inquest not included) hateful. If anything, them fighting is usually a form of flattery, or at least I take it that way.

I still remember Vekk mourning his father Gadd. They seemed like enemies but were in fact the closest by being so critical of eachother. Every asura interested (through criticising or whatever) in what you’re doing is a compliment. At least that’s how I usually take it.

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

in Living World

DarcShriek.5829

Caithe wasn’t the problem here. The Pale Tree was. The Pale Tree should have warned her firstborn that he was heading into a trap and refused. The blame lies entirely with the Pale Tree.

in Living World

OriOri.8724

Caithe wasn’t the problem here. The Pale Tree was. The Pale Tree should have warned her firstborn that he was heading into a trap and refused. The blame lies entirely with the Pale Tree.

She was already out cold before Traehearne even decided to take the fleet to Mordy.

in Living World

Donari.5237

I’d think sylvari could have more than one Wyld Hunt. As I understand the concept, it’s not the purpose they’re born for, it’s a mission they receive, a quest as it were, to do something of importance to the world. It could be helping a region deal with a terrible plague, for example. Canonically the sylvari are not a populous race compared to others and are spread thin on the ground, so whichever sylvari is boots on the ground at the location of the problem is likely to get the task, which then settles into their soul as a driving need.

This is how I remember early discussions of sylvari lore at game start, anyway. There is also this line in the wiki on Wyld Hunts, “Upon completing a Wyld Hunt, a sylvari may be given another one.” However, no citation is provided as a source for that comment.

in Living World

RyuDragnier.9476

Considering she has seen into the future with her amazing powers (predicting what would happen in Orr and what would happen if we didn’t intervene for DE), it’s very possible that like Glint, she has foreseen a series of events that leads to a better end and is doing everything in her power to make them occur.

[hS]

in Living World

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Like they weren’t going to turn anyway…..

Not necessarily no, it has been shown in HoT that the closer you are to the dragon, the stronger it’s influence. We didn’t get reports of Sylvari being corrupted by the hundreds in the Grove now did we?

And EVEN IF Sylvari would be corrupted no matter where they are, it’s still stupid to take hundreds with you when you are going to fight the very thing that tries to control them. If they are going to turn anyway, I would not have it on our ships, in the middle of a battle no less.

The only reason the Pact did this in the first place is because they didn’t know Sylvari were dragon minions. Which brings us back to what started this: Caithe should have told them.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

in Living World

DarcShriek.5829

She was already out cold before Traehearne even decided to take the fleet to Mordy.

She had enough energy to send us on a delaying tactic to find out that sylvari were minions. She could have just told us.

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

in Living World

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

These notes better appear in game. There’s really no reason for them not to.

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It sounds like your character will be getting an in-game mail from Taimi.

in Living World

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

These notes better appear in game. There’s really no reason for them not to.

I agree.

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

in Living World

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

The 3rd part of Taimi’s Notes was last note.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4truhi/notes_from_rata_novus_part_three/

“Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get hold of any more of Taimi’s journal entries. But I’m sure she’ll be ready to talk your ear off the next time she sees you!”

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

in Living World

FrizzFreston.5290

Added the third and last part.

Im still wonder what happened between notes nr 9 and nr 17 but maybe we find them ingame, or they basically contain spoilers to the plot ahead.

Would be interested to read them all if they aren’t going to be ingame. Definitely don’t care if that’s on the blog if so.

It’s interesting to see Taimi preferring to live underground. So we might as well go anywhere underground in the future. Depths of Tyria is definitely something that I could see being extremely interesting on the already existing world of today. Especially with some more old Asura technology.

Kralkatorrik seems to be an option as well of course.

Also interesting how the exalted were the ones with the leyline map and knowing how that worked. Seems to me we might see some more importance of them regarding the egg. In either case it seems were going to take the battle to the dragons again. Unless the current events indicate that the leyline network firing up with weird anomalies means we need to do something else? Theories?