The Reason to play

The Reason to play

in Living World

Posted by: unseenone.1463

unseenone.1463

This post is short and sweet. Living story is attempting to compel people who feel the NEED to play by creating all these achievement and weapon skin filled festivals, instead of creating content that makes players WANT to play.

As soon as people say “wait why am I playing this again?” the entire thing will collapse for them and they will likely not be interested in playing as much, if at all.

The Reason to play

in Living World

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

This post is short and sweet. Living story is attempting to compel people who feel the NEED to play by creating all these achievement and weapon skin filled festivals, instead of creating content that makes players WANT to play.

As soon as people say “wait why am I playing this again?” the entire thing will collapse for them and they will likely not be interested in playing as much, if at all.

Exactly. I was doing the Living Story content for awhile until I started questioning why I was still doing this stuff when I wasn’t having any fun. 2 minutes later I decided to take a break. A very long break.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

The Reason to play

in Living World

Posted by: pownguin.9205

pownguin.9205

I don’t feel the need to play. I want to play.

The Reason to play

in Living World

unseenone.1463

Happened to me as well. I was really hoping for some interesting lore and places that could be checked out, but played the stuff they released for the new skins etc. However, with this most recent update (scarlet) I have called into question what the point is, since no part of it was entertaining.

The Reason to play

in Living World

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

Yeah, same thing happens to me a lot. This clockwork event takes the cake though. I’m so sick of these god kitten ed invasions already, and I still need two for Vorpp’s quest before I can even get to the new dungeon. The fact that the last two invasions I completed refused to register for the quest has left me even more burned out.

The Reason to play

in Living World

Posted by: Tad.4109

Tad.4109

yeah, that hit me after i finished Clockwork Chaos and used my Watchknight tonic for the first time. i couldn’t help but think to myself ‘ok, so the loot was good along the way, but this is what i get as a final reward? a naked robot in heels? gross. no thanks.’ besides, the loot farming tended to bring out some ugly behavior and that isn’t fun. i liked how the base game was built on cooperative rewards. this feels like i got sexism as a reward.

The Reason to play

in Living World

Posted by: BatsLoveCaves.5768

BatsLoveCaves.5768

+1 to original post.

The Reason to play

in Living World

Posted by: ThePahkage.2684

ThePahkage.2684

you defeat yourself in that statement. this thread is cancer.

The Reason to play

in Living World

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Oh no, not the red pill!

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

The Reason to play

in Living World

Posted by: byjiang.1260

byjiang.1260

I was farming Dunwell (RIP mate) when I thought, well, what am I going to do with all the gold? Errr…buy skins I guess.

Then what? Jump around in LA?

And I stopped playing.

The Reason to play

in Living World

Posted by: Bovinity.8610

Bovinity.8610

It’s kinda true. Too much of the LS content is literally nothing but mindless grind/timesink/etc.

There’s seriously almost nothing fun about a lot of it. There’s no intrinsic challenge to 99% of the achievements, no sense of accomplishment, no real enjoyment on a gameplay level, and often no real story to enjoy behind it all.

Simply, “Do this 400 times.” Just because.

It is worth noting that Queen’s Gauntlet broke from this system and DID offer some challenges and interesting gameplay. So I do give kudos for that. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

All too often though the content does not follow that example and – as the OP said – I would probably never do a single bit of it if not for the fact that my wife likes to collect mini’s and other random stuff, and we like to play together. That’s basically the only thing keeping me from another “break”.

Any sufficiently advanced skill is indistinguishable from luck.

The Reason to play

in Living World

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

I enjoy playing, set a long term goal of making a legendary when i first started playing. I’m just now getting more into wvw and it’s a ton of fun (when our match up isn’t crap, *cough cough fix matchmaking anet) and I still have a lot to do to get my legendary, and then the living stories come in to get some extra cool stuff. But hey if I don’t do the living stories…so what, the original content is still there for me to do. A majority of these posts sound like burn out just need to take a break instead of asking for change to something everyone else enjoys or people who literally have zero self control. No one is making you do these living stories, they are optional extra content. If you don’t have fun doing them do something else. Hell i didn’t like the Queen’s Gauntlet (i’m not into that kinda thing) so guess what? I didn’t do a single achievement for that, and guess what? I don’t feel any sort of regret or pressure to do them. I dunno maybe i’m just wired differently but that’s how I feel about the issue

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

The Reason to play

in Living World

unseenone.1463

I want to note that my reason for posting this is not burnout, but rather concern for a game that I think is very capable of breaking the mold and being a great MMO.

Much of the game-play is quite fun, in particular difficult champion fights with friends (the ones that offer a challenge that you can do with two people), exploration (so many cool areas), and dungeons (still have barely scratched the surface myself).
The part that concerns me is that the new content seems to be mostly achievement based mini-games and grinds, that do not represent the original game at all. (there are of course exceptions)

The Reason to play

in Living World

Posted by: Condas.7056

Condas.7056

I was farming Dunwell (RIP mate) when I thought, well, what am I going to do with all the gold? Errr…buy skins I guess.

And I stopped playing.

I think I am about 2 steps away from this. I stopped today and started thinking about where the game was supposed to go and where it did go. Realized the game has turned into something I don’t enjoy. I may stick around to help my wife get Dusk (the last thing she needs for Twilight) and call it for the time being. I will likely monitor the changes, but unless a significant change happens, I wont likely come back. Especially with the list of sandbox mmos coming out in the near future.

The Reason to play

in Living World

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

And I stopped playing.

I think I am about 2 steps away from this. I stopped today and started thinking about where the game was supposed to go and where it did go. Realized the game has turned into something I don’t enjoy. I may stick around to help my wife get Dusk (the last thing she needs for Twilight) and call it for the time being. I will likely monitor the changes, but unless a significant change happens, I wont likely come back. Especially with the list of sandbox mmos coming out in the near future.

I stopped over 3 weeks ago. Haven’t logged in since and I don’t feel any reason to do so. Instead I’m having fun playing games like “The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot”, (totally epic!!!!!!)

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain