Why EVON lost! The Reason

in Living World

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Evon originally comes off as an eavesdropper who is sneaking around listening to conversations and seems to want to sort of steal the contract for him own personal gain. He represents a large corporation and seen as a rich guy who makes his money off of RNG boxes and artificially manipulating exchange rates for profit.

The guy has almost no character development whatsoever, and is also a charr whos race has their own character flaws altogether. EVON was pretty much designed to fail, so if anyone at ANET is bitter about EVON losing he was put in a very unpopular political position from the beginning. Players need to know why evon lost this is why.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in Living World

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

You’re right! He is a Charr, and Charr are horrible horrible beings. Good riddance!

in Living World

Posted by: The Creatrix.8795

The Creatrix.8795

….facepalm at Racial reasonings Wow, join the group of people who say Kiel won cause she has boobs why don’t you….

in Living World

Posted by: peter.2738

peter.2738

The only reason I voted Keil was because she seemd fair in contrast with Evon who seemd greedy. So my decition was basicly based from the stroy in candidate trials. Other than that I had not even a single clue wth should I vode, witch is very lame.

in Living World

Posted by: Poister.6175

Poister.6175

I voted for Both candidates, yet maybe I shouldn’t have bothered as Anet rewards non-participation

in Living World

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

They very clearly stacked it against him. I bet they would have had no idea what to do if he’d won because they clearly didn’t intend him to.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

They very clearly stacked it against him. I bet they would have had no idea what to do if he’d won because they clearly didn’t intend him to.

Nope, I’ve very sure they knew what to do if he won. As for it being stacked against him? All they needed to do was one sentence, and it would have been stacked in his favor irrepairably:

“I’m Tybalt Leftpaw and I endorse this candidate.”

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

My reasoning is different. Someone I don’t like is campaigning for Evon, so I voted Kiel.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Living World

Posted by: Korusef.3714

Korusef.3714

I voted for Kiel because I liked her promised rewards more.

in Living World

Posted by: Mia Lunarfang.5826

Mia Lunarfang.5826

I voted for Kiel because I preferred her rewards and felt her character is too shallow. Also, Evon is greedy, and its never a good thing for a person in the position of power to also be the wealthiest. Do the math, that’s only one step from dictatorship.

in Living World

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

(This is going to blow your mind…) I voted for Kiel because I want to see the Thaumanova fractal.

in Living World

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

I voted for Evon because Kiel is boring. Evon lost, I got over it. The end.

Congrats to the people who voted for Kiel.

in Living World

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Ellen Kiel = Like Ellen
Evon Gnashblade = Gnashblade Oven

It was all subliminal. Well, that and Ellen Kiel was everywhere and new people were like “Evon Gnu…who?”.

Not that any of that mattered, anyway. The good stealthies know that ArenaNet didn’t even count the votes.

in Living World

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

i voted for kiel because evon was guilty by association with rng…after constantly hearing of all the players that wasted real money on rng for nothing, I don’t support it at all. I feel like if you pay real money your chances should go way up from “rare drop”

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

in Living World

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Um…. since this is an MMORPG, I voted for Kiel because she’s the better person for Tyria. Regardless of any promised rewards I may garner for it.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Living World

Posted by: Emmet.2943

Emmet.2943

Both characters were really under developed but yes given the fact that more players like humans and least made race is the charr it was already a bad start. That with waypoints vs keys and no idea what the fractals they promised would look like. It just wasn’t a well made election their was no campaign, the characters never really explained their message, and we have no idea what either was gonna do for the story of gw2.

Wish they would have released Evons short story as a cut scene in game I liked reading it but i doubt anybody really knows about it.

in Living World

Posted by: Satire.7281

Satire.7281

Apparently the wrong person won this election. As soon as Ellen won the election ties, and trade, to the Zephyr Sanctum was terminated. Is there a problem here in presenting consistent lore? Wasn’t the intent of the election to create trade relationships with LA and ZS. We vote and we get screwed. Too much like the real world.

(edited by Satire.7281)

in Living World

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Apparently the wrong person won this election. As soon as Ellen won the election ties, and trade, to the Zephyr Sanctum was terminated. Is there a problem here in presenting consistent lore? Wasn’t the intent of the election to create trade relationships with LA and ZS. We vote and we get screwed. Too much like the real world.

The Sanctum was going to go away whoever won. That’s not to say that trade won’t be going on behind the scenes. We won’t see much, if any of it. This is an adventure game. The adventure genre tends to cut out some — or all — of the basic day-to-day stuff.

in Living World

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I don’t like Charr

RIP in peace Robert

in Living World

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

So… yes, I mostly voted for Evon but I knew Kiel would win, nearly as if votes didn’t matter because of the whole beneficial aura with ‘my people’ here and ‘my people’ there, the good ending, they all lived together in happiness blah blah blah, which is stale, and completly stupid anyways and besides, they’ve done nearly EVERYTHING to get Kiel to erase Evon, mostly Living Story wise.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Living World

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

what i find lacking now is that.. Evon just goes back to hiding in the BLTC? he doesn’t do or say anything after having lost? ://

and all we got from Kiel was that letter. and that’s it. though, the Queen’s Jubilee is huge, i guess. and this month’s update is only half here. we’ll wait and see i guess. it just seemed disconnected and anticlimatic.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Living World

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

Nope, I’ve very sure they knew what to do if he won. As for it being stacked against him? All they needed to do was one sentence, and it would have been stacked in his favor irrepairably:

“I’m Tybalt Leftpaw and I endorse this candidate.”

And/or “I’m Marshal Trahearne and I support Ellen Kiel”.
I agree with you.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in Living World

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

Wait. How can we be sure that the votes weren’t tampered with?
We can’t—so ultimately, Anet could do whatever they wanted with either candidate regardless of our votes and we’d never know the difference.
Which means, it is pointless to discuss “the reason” why Ellen won/Evon lost.

in Living World

Posted by: Tony.7624

Tony.7624

I voted for Evon cause I thought he gave discounts on the Gem store and Black Lion Trading. I would have bought some Black Lion Chest Keys with real cash if they were on discount.

in Living World

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

I have a great dislike for the lock boxes and how it all works. To me, a vote for Evon and cheaper lock box keys meant a vote for more the lock boxes annoyances. I suspect a lot of people feel the same way. There are many reasons I am sure, but all those reasons add up. In a sense, I voted with my wallet and I would never buy a lock box key for any reason. So Evon got the least of the votes from me (I did send some votes his way mainly for the achievement points, but the rest went to Ellen).

in Living World

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

You should’ve voted for Evon! We would have seen more of Abaddon the

But no, you voted for boring Ellen!

in Living World

Posted by: shedim.8504

shedim.8504

(This is going to blow your mind…) I voted for Kiel because I want to see the Thaumanova fractal.

AKA Charrnobyl?

in Living World

Posted by: SiegHawk.7981

SiegHawk.7981

Both characters were really under developed but yes given the fact that more players like humans and least made race is the charr it was already a bad start. That with waypoints vs keys and no idea what the fractals they promised would look like. It just wasn’t a well made election their was no campaign, the characters never really explained their message, and we have no idea what either was gonna do for the story of gw2.

Wish they would have released Evons short story as a cut scene in game I liked reading it but i doubt anybody really knows about it.

dude if this vote was to be choosen by players from Asia im sure they would all vote for Charr over human, ive seen alot of Asian players with Charr character rather then human.

Dragonbrand [EAT]
All I want is pure destruction!

in Living World

Posted by: SiegHawk.7981

SiegHawk.7981

Is it me or does it feel like WP price is no difference before discount? WDF man Wheres the discount if you promise them!!!! Screw you Kiel!!!

Dragonbrand [EAT]
All I want is pure destruction!

in Living World

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

….facepalm at Racial reasonings Wow, join the group of people who say Kiel won cause she has boobs why don’t you….

Except that’s an extremly different case? (and for the record, I’m an Evon supported but I don’t think she won because of boobs, if she has something to add to her extremely boring personallity is that she is the opposite of a sexualized character and her giant hologram looks like Michael Jackson, so it wasn’t because of that).

Plenty of people admitted they weren’t going to vote for “a cow”.

Humans are by faaaaaaaaaaaaar the most played race. It has been demonstrated in many games that the less human-like a race is, the less popular they are among players (I think this is why Wildstar is putting humans on both factions of that game).

If Evon’s opponent would’ve been an Asura (which would’ve made sense given how Kiel wants to research an asuran incident and the waypoint things is managed by an Asura in the council), then it would’ve been an even fight (there are people that love Asuras, but then there are people that hates them with passion like others hate Charr).

Making a human face a charr and make a playerbase that massively chose human playable race decide which one to vote was really unfair. Add that Evon was always portrayed like shaddy and creepy (and that was all the cutscenes he has ever appeared in, so that was all the info players that never spoke to him before got), and that he was seen as the way players had to punish RNG (and I don’t understand the logic behind that) and that character simply can’t win. Specially when there was a huge sector of the playerbase that didn’t really know what voting each one would imply as most of the clear information was on the internet instead of the game.

That he still got 48% of the votes means that if it was Kiel offering Evon’s promises (and it would’ve made sense that a human tried to research on the most important fight human gods had), she would’ve curbstomped him, probably getting 80% or even 90% of the votes. It also means that if he would’ve been a human, he would have destroyed Ellen Kiel no matter if she “got boobs” or not.

I liked that they made us choose the game’s destiny, but the combination of Evon presentation to the players and the lack of better direct to the point in-game info meant Kiel was going to win.

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

in Living World

Posted by: Zeph.5927

Zeph.5927

Honestly? Kiel won because she has had WAY MORE facetime and lore built up around her than what Evon has. She’s been in LS updates. Evon really hasn’t. She won simply because of the fact that GW2 players have been exposed to her more and know who she is.

Common sense really.

in Living World

Posted by: Cirian.8917

Cirian.8917

Honestly? Kiel won because she has had WAY MORE facetime and lore built up around her than what Evon has. She’s been in LS updates. Evon really hasn’t. She won simply because of the fact that GW2 players have been exposed to her more and know who she is.

Common sense really.

Evon’s been in GW2 since the start, standing in the BLTC in LA. I may even have talked to him in the beta. He’s always been in the background and it’s just now that he’s stepped forward and become more prominent. It’ll be interesting to see if he fades back into the background or tries another venture later on.

in Living World

Posted by: Ram Banson.4081

Ram Banson.4081

Ellen Kiel is going to create a global Police State under her control, have fun with that guys.

The invasion of the Aetherblades is a huuuge false flag agenda!! they work for Kiel.
Its all to unite the citizens against one enemy! which keeps they under constant terror.
Everyone will blindly follow Kiel, because it appears that shes the good one, and the Aetherblades are the bad ones!!!!

Kiel will setup new Rules and Laws and will slowly reduce our rights to almost nothing.
She already build many secret “Camps” for a huge numbers. of ppl, – concentration camps.

So probably there will be a bigger false flag “Event”, this Event will create a national “crisis” That Crisis will destroy the natural, usual rights we have for the “matter of security” and all citizen wil be transportet in those camps, to “secure them”
And voila! a dictatorship was created, in which everyone who just think something “wrong” will be executed…in the meaning o security!

GG

Blùb [LuPi]

in Living World

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

I voted for Kiel because I preferred her rewards and felt her character is too shallow. Also, Evon is greedy, and its never a good thing for a person in the position of power to also be the wealthiest. Do the math, that’s only one step from dictatorship.

What Tripe. I guess you are one of those simple minds that think rich = evil and poor = virtuous and put upon. When you get older and wiser you will understand there are good and bad people among all classes of people and most people get to there stations in life through there own abilities and motivation or lack of it. Its always easier to make excuses though and blame invisible barriers and evil motivations!

(edited by Kwll.1468)

in Living World

Posted by: Phaedrus.7159

Phaedrus.7159

You realise Evon is NOT the richest person in Lion’s Arch, and the richest person is actually already on the council, right?

Not to mention the Lionguard was already represented on the council by Ellen’s mentor and close friend.

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Evon lost because he has bad breath. No one wants a guy with bad breath to be in charge.

in Living World

Elbegast.6970

Ellen Kiel is going to create a global Police State under her control, have fun with that guys.

The invasion of the Aetherblades is a huuuge false flag agenda!! they work for Kiel.
Its all to unite the citizens against one enemy! which keeps they under constant terror.
Everyone will blindly follow Kiel, because it appears that shes the good one, and the Aetherblades are the bad ones!!!!

Kiel will setup new Rules and Laws and will slowly reduce our rights to almost nothing.
She already build many secret “Camps” for a huge numbers. of ppl, – concentration camps.

So probably there will be a bigger false flag “Event”, this Event will create a national “crisis” That Crisis will destroy the natural, usual rights we have for the “matter of security” and all citizen wil be transportet in those camps, to “secure them”
And voila! a dictatorship was created, in which everyone who just think something “wrong” will be executed…in the meaning o security!

GG

I’m going to Maguuma to convert the remnants of an abandoned Asuran underground laboratory into a bug out shelter. I have full stacks of Seed Pods, Charr Mines and an Ogre Pet Whistle for everyone.

‘There is a storm on the horizon. A time of hardship and pain. The battle has been won, but the war against Kiel rages on. The Aetherblade’s global network remains strong, but we will not quit, until all of it’s destroyed. This is Logan Thackeray. There is no fate but what we make.’ – Logan Thackeray, 1326AE

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: Drakenvold.9761

Drakenvold.9761

what if Kiel is in fact Scarlet and Evon the mysterious MR E??

in Living World

Mia Lunarfang.5826

What Tripe. I guess you are one of those simple minds that think rich = evil and poor = virtuous and put upon. When you get older and wiser you will understand there are good and bad people among all classes of people and most people get to there stations in life through there own abilities and motivation or lack of it. Its always easier to make excuses though and blame invisible barriers and evil motivations!

I was referring to general history. When the people in power possess all the money, they control everything from education to your pocket book. If the trading post, which already has a monopoly over the economy, also controlled the government, well that’s communism. Aside from this, I refer to Evon as evil because of how he was presented in his cut-scenes, not because he was wealthy.

in Living World

Mia Lunarfang.5826

No, I hated it. His personality in the cut scenes verse the short story were a big contradiction.

in Living World

Posted by: Katran.9186

Katran.9186

The thing is – 90% of players voted randomly, cause they don’t read forum.

in Living World

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

The real reson why Evon lost is…. (drum roll)…. because more vote tokens were casted for Kiel..

Actually same here.

I do agree that the fall of Abbadon would have been epic… but honestly don’t think it would work in the sense of a fractal unless they oversimplify it. Fall of Abbadon was something huge, armies clashing, gods fighting all over, there’s no way it could be made justice in a 15 minutes fractal (don’t think it should be longer as it’s meant to be done as one out of 3 or 4 fractals, not on its own) unless it was made either as we being on the sidelines, or something like the zaithan battle.

On the other hand I do think the thaumanova explosion has great potential as a short but good experience. Note that I don’t think it’ll be just fighting golems and inquest followed by a simple explosion, the thing released chaotic energy that is still causing problems all over the place, bringing things and beings from other places (and maybe other times as well) just because of the residual energy left, what happened there wasn’t just a simple explosion, but time and space unraveling and mixing all over themselves, which is what I believe the fractal will be about (there was a dev post somewhere hinting about chaotic energy getting mixed with the essence of the mists).

If anything, the way I believe might look like is less CoE and more like the movie My Science Project (google it you kids, the full thing is available on youtube if you can stand mid-80’s cornyness which looked great when you were 9 years old), all sorts of enviroments and beings from the present, past and future of tyria clashing in the same spot, and heck, I’d even say we might even see things or people from GW1 there.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Living World

Posted by: Akechi Hotaru.7129

Akechi Hotaru.7129

I voted for evon for the same reason i went with grenth in gw1, grey is much more interesting than white.

in Living World

Posted by: Akechi Hotaru.7129

Akechi Hotaru.7129

So probably there will be a bigger false flag “Event”, this Event will create a national “crisis”

like a “Battle of Divinity’s Reach”?

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Who voted for Ellen Kiel/Who voted against Evon Gnashblade:
1. Kiel is a woman. Feminists(to not say most women) will vote for Kiel.
2. Kiel is a woman. (many)Men voted for boobs.
3. Kiel is a human. See “most GW2 played race”.
4. Evon is a charr. Throughout GW1, Gwen has taught us 7 years worth of hating charrs.
5. Kiel is good. Regardless of your opinion on the matter, good will eventually prevail.
6. Evon is greedy. Greedy pig vs Good bunnycop, obvious choice.
7. Kiel offered reduced Waypoints. A game mechanic that everyone uses.
8. Evon offered reduced Keys. MANY players boycott the RNG portion of BLTC.
9. Kiel offered a NEW fractal. Something NEW that nobody knows anything about.
10. Evon offered Abaddon fractal. Something whose results are already known.

9&10: would you rather watch the NEW soccer world cup or the 1998 soccer world cup whose results you already know? Admittedly the 1998 soccer world cup had some amazing action, even if the 1998 soccer world cup was in HD, you know the answer to this question.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Thaumanova_Reactor
Yes, the Thaumanova Reactor is NEW, not some old asuran experiment gone wrong.

Arguably, a lot of GW1 fans voted for Evon for the sole reason that they wanted the Abaddon fractal. Thus stating that the only good thing that Evon had up his sleeve was the Abaddon fractal. Meaning that many GW1 fans did not really want to vote for Evon, but really voted for the fractal. If Kiel had proposed Abaddon and Evon had proposed the new reactor, Evon would have been crushed by a very large margin.

Evon was destined to lose.

in Living World

Elbegast.6970

Who voted for Ellen Kiel/Who voted against Evon Gnashblade:
1. Kiel is a woman. Feminists(to not say most women) will vote for Kiel.
2. Kiel is a woman. (many)Men voted for boobs.
3. Kiel is a human. See “most GW2 played race”.
4. Evon is a charr. Throughout GW1, Gwen has taught us 7 years worth of hating charrs.
5. Kiel is good. Regardless of your opinion on the matter, good will eventually prevail.
6. Evon is greedy. Greedy pig vs Good bunnycop, obvious choice.
7. Kiel offered reduced Waypoints. A game mechanic that everyone uses.
8. Evon offered reduced Keys. MANY players boycott the RNG portion of BLTC.
9. Kiel offered a NEW fractal. Something NEW that nobody knows anything about.
10. Evon offered Abaddon fractal. Something whose results are already known.

9&10: would you rather watch the NEW soccer world cup or the 1998 soccer world cup whose results you already know? Admittedly the 1998 soccer world cup had some amazing action, even if the 1998 soccer world cup was in HD, you know the answer to this question.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Thaumanova_Reactor
Yes, the Thaumanova Reactor is NEW, not some old asuran experiment gone wrong.

Arguably, a lot of GW1 fans voted for Evon for the sole reason that they wanted the Abaddon fractal. Thus stating that the only good thing that Evon had up his sleeve was the Abaddon fractal. Meaning that many GW1 fans did not really want to vote for Evon, but really voted for the fractal. If Kiel had proposed Abaddon and Evon had proposed the new reactor, Evon would have been crushed by a very large margin.

Evon was destined to lose.

Even the subliminal anagrams were in favor of Ellen Kiel.
Ellen Kiel = Like Ellen
Evon Gnashblade = Banned Vale Hogs, Helve No Sandbag, Nabs Gold Heaven, Bad Gonna Shelve, etc.