Why block achievements until after the meta?

in Living World

Posted by: Isomorphic.4630

Isomorphic.4630

For example, it’s currently necessary to make us do “Discovering Scarlet’s Breakthrough” a minimum of three (okay, 2 and a half) times just to get all its achievements. I understand achievements are supposed to be something to work for, but spending an extra 15 minutes listening to NPCs say the same things and killing the same mobs over and over makes these achievements not very rewarding.

Is it such a bad thing if we can get them on our first playthrough of the story to save at least one repetition?

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

They most likely added it this way in order for people to be able to focus on the story the first time around.

Which makes sense seeing as it is rather common that people complain about how the story is badly presented and doesn’t make sense, due to them not actually paying attention.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: ErazorZ.5209

ErazorZ.5209

Supposedly but cant they make us skip the dialog parts the second run then? If the first run was for story the second could enhance the ‘achieving’ a bit more

in Living World

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

I must agree. I can only take so much of Kasmeer and Marjory’s Butareyousureyouareokay?! before I just lose the interest in achievement runs.

in Living World

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

There were a lot of achievements in previous LS that required group event coordination. Sometimes it was fairly simple, others a kitten to finish.
The new version focuses on the player’s own skill, for better or worse.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

in Living World

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

They did this so that you feel like getting more contents by repeating the same thing over and over.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

in Living World

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I understand why they’re doing it once, but I very sincerely wish that unlocking achievements on one character did so for all (if they’ve changed this since I’ve been on last, cool).

Like, I’ve already experienced the story once and I’m happy about that – but if I want to do achievements, maybe I want to give it a shot on a different profession without having to do another “story run” – which to me devalues the experience since I’m rushing through it and no longer really “getting into it” like I did the first time – it makes me dislike it and leaves me with a bad taste to remember it by.

in Living World

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

I understand why they’re doing it once, but I very sincerely wish that unlocking achievements on one character did so for all (if they’ve changed this since I’ve been on last, cool).

Like, I’ve already experienced the story once and I’m happy about that – but if I want to do achievements, maybe I want to give it a shot on a different profession without having to do another “story run” – which to me devalues the experience since I’m rushing through it and no longer really “getting into it” like I did the first time – it makes me dislike it and leaves me with a bad taste to remember it by.

This. All pointed out that the content would be open for all of my characters, and the fact it is not heavily frustrated me.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Totally agree with the OP. I could maybe accept the achievements being locked until the first time you complete it, but make it account-wide at least. Having to do the story on a specific character before that character can attempt to complete the achievements is a real pain in the rear.

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Totally agree with the OP. I could maybe accept the achievements being locked until the first time you complete it, but make it account-wide at least. Having to do the story on a specific character before that character can attempt to complete the achievements is a real pain in the rear.

I’m not sure.

I mean, on one hand, yah. Its somewhat of a pain redoing the story instances on other characters to try for the achieves if you can’t do the achieve on the first character you complete it on.

On the other hand, requiring you to play through the “story mode” before going into “free mode” to get the achieves does allow for you to get the rewards on every character. And yah, the rewards are nothing super special anyway (although getting free zephyr lockpicks is pretty nice) but its at least some sort of reward for doing it on multiple characters. And who knows, maybe the rewards are going to get better (is the back item a reward for one of the story missions? That’d be a good one, assuming its an equippable item and not a skin).

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

Well, the rewards for the achievements and the rewards for completing the story are separate anyway. That argument would make sense if you could complete the achievement each and every time a new character did it, but that would be breaking the reward framework.

Note that the rewards for completing the story steps are mostly intended to replace the loot the enemies would have dropped as part of the story. (That’s why you can still get junk items like Spikes or Globby Goop from them.)

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Technically, yes. They’re separate things.

However, I have a feeling the way they’ve set up the instances is that the first time through, you play the “story mode” version and can get rewards from it, but achievements are inactive. The second and any subsequent playthroughs, you go through a second version which ditches the rewards but allows for achievements to be gained.

So if they made it so that doing the quest on 1 character opened up the “second version” for all characters, you’d only get the instance loot one time period, not once for each character.

That’s just my theory on the way they set it up, though. It could also be that its the same thing and the system can just enable / disable achievements and rewards on the fly. But I dunno, the different colored icon at the start, the achievements, the loot at the end, it feels like 2 distinct instances to me.

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

Hmm, that’s a good point. They might indeed be separate instances, but I feel they’re not, due to the fact that a bug meant you could still complete the cannon/steam ogre achievements for the Ley Line Hub on a new character even though it hadn’t completed the story version first.

in Living World

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

My theory, is that they did it this way, so people can group up and do them together. I liked the old meta achievement system so much better though. It was a better community event.

in Living World

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

What bothers me most is how ridiculously alt-unfriendly the system is. There’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to get the achievements while doing it for the first time with a second character, but you can’t.

in Living World

Posted by: Rainin.9812

Rainin.9812

As someone said already, I think the point was to make you focus on story the first time through and then achievements the second time. Not to mention, getting you to do the content 2-3 times (or more) also nearly doubles or triples (or more) the life of the content. This makes a release relevant for longer and keeps people people the game for longer too.

in Living World

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

Focus, cmon, What are we, Dumb sheep? We can focus just well for a 1 dime story.
What story? Some chick ends up dead and I was supposed to feel sorry for her?
The whole new story is a misery!
I liked the Personal story.
To bad. It seems they have a totally new team.