Why change how you get Carapace Armor Pieces!

in Living World

Posted by: ChaddHunter.9853

ChaddHunter.9853

Why the hell did they change the way you get Carapace Armor Pieces!

This is absolute BS I have to grind to get all different types why the hell didn’t you just leave it the way it was. Before I could do it on an alt and it was fun to use them. I never come on here and flame about anything but this has me so angry. Why do you keep making these bad decisions are you trying to annoy your player base ??

in Living World

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Just when I thought Anet was making a good change with the first ls episode and how everything worked, they go and do this and completely screw it up >_<

Not happy.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in Living World

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

to preserve the life/activity level of the new map. Dry Top has Mawdrey/ambrite skins….Silverwastes has the armor skins.

if they didn’t change it, everyone would have all armor pieces in a matter of hours. their mistake was allowing alts to get multiple pieces in the first place.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Living World

Relshdan.6854

Tbh, the carapace shoulders should be changed aswell, replaying the LS is more of a grind than actually playing silverwastes and having fun.

agree…..playing the zone is much better than most of the instances.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Well, that’s your personal opinion. Personally I found the instances more fun than the zone. For me, Silverwastes basically just devolved into a “run to event, kill a mob to tag it, run to next event. Do Breach if up. Repeat” sequence. It was fun for the first few times, but then it just turned into a farming rotation. I couldn’t stand it for more than 2 rounds at a time. It was just so mind-numbingly repetitive, and the fast respawn of the events means there’s no real downtime either.

in Living World

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

Tbh, the carapace shoulders should be changed aswell, replaying the LS is more of a grind than actually playing silverwastes and having fun.

And some of us disagree with that sentiment. Before we each had a choice to get the shoulders in the method that we preferred, but because you didn’t like the opposing method it should be eliminated? I personally am already tired of Silverwastes circular slugfest, so only one class is going to be lucky enough to get those gloves.

to preserve the life/activity level of the new map. Dry Top has Mawdrey/ambrite skins….Silverwastes has the armor skins.

if they didn’t change it, everyone would have all armor pieces in a matter of hours. their mistake was allowing alts to get multiple pieces in the first place.

OR…. they could have added the Pact Fleet weapons as incentive to play that map, rather than locking them behind Black Lion Claim Tickets. I would have ground that map in to dust for some of those weapon skins, but instead I’ll be finding one I enjoy more to farm in order to buy them off of the trading post.

We all have differing opinions, and I can respect that, but changing the armor skin acquisition style to benefit one side entirely and screwing over the other in the process really doesn’t seem like the right way to handle the situation.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

in Living World

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

This is just p’ing me off now. Not only are we dealing with all this rubbish, but then the waves of lag come (that Anet also aren’t fixing… surprise surprise).

I’m out too. Going back to EOTM. Screw this.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in Living World

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Those story achs are lame too. Why not make content so hard that just completing it would be worth reward? Those avoid all aoe attacks and other kitten achs just sucks.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in Living World

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Some people would prefer to play in Silverwastes, others would prefer to redo the story. I don’t see the harm in having both options available.

in Living World

Relshdan.6854

And some of us disagree with that sentiment. Before we each had a choice to get the shoulders in the method that we preferred, but because you didn’t like the opposing method it should be eliminated? I personally am already tired of Silverwastes circular slugfest, so only one class is going to be lucky enough to get those gloves.

OR…. they could have added the Pact Fleet weapons as incentive to play that map, rather than locking them behind Black Lion Claim Tickets. I would have ground that map in to dust for some of those weapon skins, but instead I’ll be finding one I enjoy more to farm in order to buy them off of the trading post.

We all have differing opinions, and I can respect that, but changing the armor skin acquisition style to benefit one side entirely and screwing over the other in the process really doesn’t seem like the right way to handle the situation.

understand your points…and agree that it would be great if everyone had their way of getting all skins…..and also that the events/exploration of the new map would be enough to retain players, since the map as it functions now, only works with a decent level of activity/player population.

loot/cosmetics items are the most reliable way to keep players playing in a zone…even the most fun/best designed content losses it’s luster quicker than you’d like….adding earn-able cosmetic goals helps prolong the life and is a better alternative to the usual method in the past (rng drops).

and even still……you get one full set of skins playing the LS episodes (and 2 other shoulder skins).

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Living World

Relshdan.6854

Those story achs are lame too. Why not make content so hard that just completing it would be worth reward? Those avoid all aoe attacks and other kitten achs just sucks.

you’d have even more complaining than you do know…….there are already “rage-quit” threads due to the content “one-shot-ing them”, “too much CC”, and being “unfair to melee combat”.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Living World

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I don’t understand. They haven’t changed how you get carapace armour pieces. The gloves are acquired in exactly the same was as the shoulder pieces were.

(If what you mean is that they should change how you get them… Well, maybe I agree?)

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

Not quite, Foxx. With the Shoulders, you received them as the reward for completing the Hidden Arcana instance. This let you gain one Shoulder piece per alt that completed the Living Story chapter.

With the Gloves, you get it as the reward for completing the Living Story chapter achievement, making it only obtainable once per account. If you want the other two armor weights, you’ll either need to grind an additional 2000 Bandit Crests, or hope to get lucky from the Bandit Chests/Greater Nightmare Chest.

in Living World

Posted by: BlkPrince.2854

BlkPrince.2854

You can go grind in silverwaste if you enjoy it more. That was the beauty of what they offered in the last episode if you dont want to redo the story on an alt you can grind in silverwaste. But some people actually though redoing the story was fun and somewhat made it more worth doing on my alts

in Living World

Posted by: BlkPrince.2854

BlkPrince.2854

Just when I thought Anet was making a good change with the first ls episode and how everything worked, they go and do this and completely screw it up >_<

Not happy.

Yeah not happy about it either now I gotta hope I get lucky with the pods more of their RNG crap that I am not really looking forward to will have to lurk around silver waste for about 1 hour waiting for the breach to begin then go to the maze is location and hunt for those pods xD oh well

in Living World

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Looking at the remaining pieces it looks like if this method is the only one in the other pieces too then we’ll need to grind 10000 bandit crests. Gg.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in Living World

Posted by: star.5296

star.5296

:( I agree, I dont like doing the same event a million times over to get 10k crests

in Living World

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

We were given options in the last episode on how to get the pieces. You could play and grind the map, or you could play the story with multiple characters (talking PvE only here). This was great, new armor and a choice on how to obtain it.

For some reason it seems they decided that choice and options were bad things. I don’t understand the logic at all.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

It seems that you can also get a Carapace Gloves chest from doing the new Silverwastes PvP Reward Track. While this additional avenue is welcome (and it does mostly solve my personal issue about needing to grind another 2000 Crests), it still leaves players who don’t PvP with no other options.

in Living World

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

to preserve the life/activity level of the new map.

That would be very sad. It would speak volumes about Anet’s own opinion about how good the zone is on its own.

Looking at the remaining pieces it looks like if this method is the only one in the other pieces too then we’ll need to grind 10000 bandit crests. Gg.

Yes, that worries me as well.

So again, just when i thought (after previous ls) that Anet has learned something, they go and prove me wrong.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Living World

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Yes, it’s an obvious strong-arm attempt to keep the zone populated . . . especially given the shortness of the newest update.

So much for that ‘no grinding’ policy they had. Seems it went the way of the dodo.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

in Living World

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Because they are literally desperate to get people to play the map they nerfed. Just a handful left there. So how do u entice people to play your content? Why fix when u can force them to grind.

in Living World

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Not quite, Foxx. With the Shoulders, you received them as the reward for completing the Hidden Arcana instance. This let you gain one Shoulder piece per alt that completed the Living Story chapter.

With the Gloves, you get it as the reward for completing the Living Story chapter achievement, making it only obtainable once per account. If you want the other two armor weights, you’ll either need to grind an additional 2000 Bandit Crests, or hope to get lucky from the Bandit Chests/Greater Nightmare Chest.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. That’s pretty horrific. How many bandit crests are we expected to grind for the entire set I wonder. For anyone with only 1 level 80 that’s already 4000 bandit crests to grind.

in Living World

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I tend to agree.On the shoulders I got two from story on two different characters and one as a boss drop, and I already have 1500 badges saved up, but I would prefer redoing story on an alt to spending the badges.

I can sort of see the reason in this case, since the story is much shorter than the last one, but they should still have an alternate method. Maybe on repeat playthroughs you get a widget you can trade in for 500 badges or something,

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Keep in mind that if all of them had been obtainable in the exact same way, people would have whined about how they were lazy and didn’t do anything new.

I also seems to recall people after last patch complaining about being “forced” to repeat the living story in order to get the pieces.

There are multiple ways to get the gloves, just like there were multiple ways to get the shoulders.

1. One of them in the story.
2. Tradable for crests.
3. Lootable from the chest in the Labyrinth.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

So does anyone know if the shoulder chect reward per character has remain intact in the previous living story?

I was trying to redo the stories again with an alt but I got sidetrack and redoing the stories again with no shoulder chest reward is not worth the time even when the other loots are decent (my alt is only at the second mission start the start of season 2 LS).

in Living World

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I also seems to recall people after last patch complaining about being “forced” to repeat the living story in order to get the pieces.

…erm, you mean all the people that complained they had to grind 2k crests because they didn’t have an alt?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Living World

Posted by: Skoigoth.9238

Skoigoth.9238

Oh look! Somebody summed up the situation very accurately.

Now I have even less incentive to replay the LS on any of my alt characters. Great! More time to grind for crests! T_T

(edited by Skoigoth.9238)

in Living World

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Did you read the complaining thread that was on the top of the forums here last week and as recently as yesterday.

Basically the guy was complaining about how the bandit crest rewards in the zone were useless so the zone would die.

I tried to tell him…

… But this is why we can’t have nice things…

Tl;dr.

Anet changed things because that’s what the community asked for.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Living World

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Lol. What kitten guy changed this… Thanks but no thanks, not going to grind through all this… go figure arenanet.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Living World

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I got 500 crests in about 2.5 hours last night (maybe less), and I wasn’t even trying to farm crests.

I was hopping maps, trying to get into maps where the breach was close so I could get in the new maze (I got in three times). After using the Extractor to try and complete the collection, I turned the parts in to the crypto guy and found out that hearts are worth 100 crests each!

I don’t think it will be too grindy to get to 2k crests.

OFC, it now looks like we may have to farm up to 10k crests, but with new updates to keep he zone fresh coming for a while, I don’t think it will be that bad.

Now I have even less incentive to replay the LS on any of my alt characters. Great! More time to grind for crests! T_T

This relatively short Living story awards a BL key. It’s a pretty sweet reward.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Living World

Posted by: Skoigoth.9238

Skoigoth.9238

This relatively short Living story awards a BL key. It’s a pretty sweet reward.

Yes, I agree actually, but I don´t want BL keys. I want a new look for my Ele =P

Seriously, the RNG involved in getting the Mordrem body parts was already enough. We didn´t need even more additional and annoying grind on top of that imo.

in Living World

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

1k crests is super fast to get. I got 1k in less than a day of playing and that’s including spending a few 100 crests on keys and mordrem extractors. Do the meta event and don’t focus on how many crests you’re getting and you’ll have 1k in no time.

I personally thought repeating LS to be a cheap way of getting the extra shoulder pieces. It also gave players with alts an advantage (some people do like to focus on a single level 80 character).

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I got crests quickly by rotating around through the various defend events. Last night I went around just doing enough to get credit before moving to the next. Any event I saw along the way I would kills a few mobs to get credit before continuing on to the forts.

Since we’re getting head/chest next episode and legs/feet in the one after that; expect more of a grind.

in Living World

Posted by: Sinope.5630

Sinope.5630

I got crests quickly by rotating around through the various defend events. Last night I went around just doing enough to get credit before moving to the next. Any event I saw along the way I would kills a few mobs to get credit before continuing on to the forts.

Since we’re getting head/chest next episode and legs/feet in the one after that; expect more of a grind.

So you were leeching. You just did in all events a bit and those who stayed and finnish them, did that event for you infact.

Imagine situation that everybody starts to leeching, not even one event will be done and all will fail. Nice, nice indeed.

in Living World

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

They should do the same with shoulders and all other pieces IMO.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

So you were leeching. You just did in all events a bit and those who stayed and finnish them, did that event for you infact.

Imagine situation that everybody starts to leeching, not even one event will be done and all will fail. Nice, nice indeed.

Yes and no. Ignoring travel time, the time spent helping out would be no different than remaining at one location. There was usually a supply bull inbetweeb forts so the time not doing anything was minimal. It’s also the only way to quickly gain crests.

Yes, if everyone did this then it could be an issue depending on the rotations they did. However, that scenario would likely never occur.

in Living World

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Yes and no. Ignoring travel time, the time spent helping out would be no different than remaining at one location. There was usually a supply bull inbetweeb forts so the time not doing anything was minimal. It’s also the only way to quickly gain crests.

Yes, if everyone did this then it could be an issue depending on the rotations they did. However, that scenario would likely never occur.

Sorry but that’s the very definition of leeching. You aren’t staying around to ensure success of the event and instead relying on others to get it done. So when you do that, you leave others on their own to try to defend forts or make sure caravans reach their destination. Just happened to me and a fort defense failed with 30s left because I couldn’t rez the NPC with 15 mobs on me.

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

So you spending 60 minutes doing events on the entire map is not the same as spending 60 minutes doing events at a single fort? You’re spending the same amount of time doing events to support the map towards the same goal of reach The Breach event.

I will also point out that I always at least killed a wave of the husk slingers (normally 3) before I left.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

in Living World

Posted by: chris.6583

chris.6583

to make us waste 2 gold

in Living World

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

Why?

The same reason Direct TV and other companies offer low introductory rates when entering into a long turn commitment. Once consumers invest time, effort or money into a goal they are more likely to continue investing even if the requirements continue to escalate.

Imho, company stores should not offer long term goals unless they are clear with the long term requirements.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

in Living World

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

You’re spending the same amount of time doing events to support the map towards the same goal of reach The Breach event.

Except I actually stay around to make sure they succeed before moving on to another. A very large difference.

I will also point out that I always at least killed a wave of the husk slingers (normally 3) before I left.

Oh wow.. and that totally helped with all the mobs pwning the NPC in the middle after you left.

in Living World

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

This is “Foefire Cleansing” all over again… then we were not getting the backpack component on alts. The fact that was fixed eventually gives me some hope.

If this turns out to be yet another attempt to push us into playing a certain way, I’ll be even more disappointed than if it were ‘just’ another bug. While I enjoy hanging out in Silverwastes for short periods, I am not planning on doing a very long and boring grind – 5 × 2000 lost badges? – just because someone thinks the zone should be more popular than it is.

in Living World

Posted by: Tigerlily.3765

Tigerlily.3765

I agree completely. For the shoulders, I did the story twice, and got 1000 badges for the third one. A lot less repetitive that way, since I did both kinds of content.

I really thought the fleet weapons were going to be obtained from silverwastes, and I was excited. But just another BL set. Can’t say I’m surprised, but disappointed for sure.

Repeating the story isn’t great, but neither is playing silverwastes which got real old after about 3 rounds. Maybe more of the map will be revealed so it will be more like Dry Top (which I personally think is fine, and quite varied if you do it with an organized group. You can do smaller events if you don’t like the zergfest in that map, etc).

in Living World

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

So I was thinking, it hurt but I persevered….
If gloves are dropping now they will continue to drop even as the next armor pieces are added. We may continue to get a chance at gloves in chapters 7 and 8. Would it make sense to hold onto crests until the end of chapter 8 in case you get a piece of the set to drop?

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

You’re spending the same amount of time doing events to support the map towards the same goal of reach The Breach event.

Except I actually stay around to make sure they succeed before moving on to another. A very large difference.

Oh wow.. and that totally helped with all the mobs pwning the NPC in the middle after you left.

Except I would never have been to the event in the first place if I stuck to just one fort so whether the others succeeded or not is irrelevant. If they were struggling with keeping the NPC alive, I have stayed. However, most of the time this has not been an issue.

The NPC was always fine when I left. The slingers are the ones that you want to kill right away as they do a lot of damage just look at what they do to walls and players with their attacks. A group is far more likely to succeed if they kill them than if they don’t. The majority of the time that I went to kill them, it was just me.

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I would have liked some warning of the change before I picked the medium gloves on my main. I’m actually going for the light carapace set but figured I’d just get the weight for the alt as I did my three run throughs on Thief, Guardian, and Mesmer. As to farming up the crests, sigh. I enjoy a bit of time in Silverwastes but there’s no down time there. I can’t just stop and go to the bathroom, grab a snack, check forums, chat with my guild, etc. Not without feeling guilty about using a map slot, anyway.

Fortunately the gloves are the least important part of the set for me, and I don’t really need luminescent, so I can scale back on my GW2 efforts now that I know how extra tedious they’ve been made. So much for doing it all. Now I’ll do even less, whee!

in Living World

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Except I would never have been to the event in the first place if I stuck to just one fort so whether the others succeeded or not is irrelevant. If they were struggling with keeping the NPC alive, I have stayed. However, most of the time this has not been an issue.

The NPC was always fine when I left. The slingers are the ones that you want to kill right away as they do a lot of damage just look at what they do to walls and players with their attacks. A group is far more likely to succeed if they kill them than if they don’t. The majority of the time that I went to kill them, it was just me.

I’m starting to see a pattern with you.

Gone to Reddit.

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

Repost from another thread:

After some reflection last night (and trying out the new content), I now believe the inconsistent acquisition methods for the Carapace armor was intended, for the following reasons:

1. Having the players “re-farm” the Silverwastes and the Breach bosses is a way of prolonging player interest and map longevity, as others have said.

2. There are actually lots of ways of acquiring the Gloves:

- You get 1 from completing the Tangled Paths LS chapter
- You can earn 1 from completing the (non-repeatable) Silverwastes PvP reward track
- You can buy 1 from the Bandit Crest Merchants for 1g + 1000 Crests
- Glove chests are a rare drop from the Greater Nightmare Pod, and also from Lost Bandit Chests (rumors say that they can also drop from the Lesser Nightmare Pods, but at a much lower rate than from the Greater Pod)

Furthermore, the new Labyrinth actually helps speed up acquisition of Bandit Crests. You get more Crests each time the Labyrinth tiers go up, which means an additional ~50 Crests if you’re in a populated map with lots of people grabbing the Lesser Pods. This increases the average number of Crests you can earn within a single round of SW.

You can furthermore speed this up by constantly taxiing to different SW instances that are at their Breach/Labyrinth phase. I managed to earn a stack of Crests in about a little over an hour, which means I could conceivably farm up the 1000 I need within a single day. (I plan on doing the PvP reward track for the 3rd.)

3. I have a suspicion that ANet is once again tying the LS into the different game modes to encourage players to return and populate different parts of the game. I fully expect some of the subsequent armor pieces to require participation in WvW (Badges of Honor. I suspect that this will be the Chest/Leggings piece, and it will require a big sink of Badges), Fractals (Fractal Relics or Pristine Relics) and possibly dungeons/JP’s.

All that said, I still would have preferred if alts could have gotten the Gloves per run. :P I can now understand why it was done, but I’d still have liked more options.

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

Fixing the stupid forum page bug.