new map - new skins via drops

in Living World

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I’d love to see accountbound zone-specific-drops of set-pieces. Those items can also be salvaged into ascended mats.

In the CDI’s we talked about zone specific reward systems like zone progression. You could tie the droprate of those set pieces to the progression of done events in this new map for example.

why accountbound?

• so that people can’t take the lazy route via trading post or the gemstore.
  • so that the droprate can be much better compared to unbound items (which are expected to be bought through the trading post since you can’t farm them directly but get them through pure luck)
http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Living World

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I agree mostly with what you say Marcus.

GW1 was a lot more enjoyable because you could buy most things you needed/wanted from merchants, or could earn them through playing the game, rather than this bull kitten in GW2 where you have to either
a) be very lucky (some people get 10 precursors in a month, others get 0 in 2 years)
b) grind your kitten off to buy them

Player-regulated economies shouldn’t be in a game. That only leads to kittening them up.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Living World

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I’d rather it not be accountbound so I can make a profit selling to people too lazy to go out and farm it.

in Living World

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Account Bound only if it has a reasonable drop rate. If it’s a really rare drop, they should be tradable.

Also buying things on the tradepost is not lazy, or do you think the money we buy those items with came falling out of the sky?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’d be interested to see new skins. But salvage into ascended mats? I don’t think ANet will go for that. If they do it will probably be bloodstone dust.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’d much rather not have more account binding. They’ve gone too far lately with Account Bound items. The problem with anything RNG based it that it has the potential to not reward effort and skill. Which, is not a good reward system at all. At the very least, they should have one additional avenue to obtain items.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Well accountbound means that these items drop like those set items you see in singleplayer roleplaying games. It makes people want to really collect these sets longterm.

By having these items being accountbound, you’d allow the devs to greatly increase it’s droprate. As ascended mats drop from every champion currently, why not get the same stuff out of an item which drops once every 100 enemies, just so that it isn’t useless vendor-trash? (why not add a good chance to drop lodestones instead of ascended mats too? This way the guys who look for profit (like you Morsus) would be happy too. The skin still stays exclusive to the finder, but you get valuable stuff out of it too which is useful for other things (legendaries,…).

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Living World

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I doubt this would happen. Almost all new armor & weapon items are in the Gem Store, or from some achievement. GW2 needs new full armor sets that can be acquired from within the game. I’ve been saying this for almost a year, and it never happens.

tl;dr
Enough with the back-slot items as rewards only.
Enough with the non-set armor items only.

Give us new, full armor sets, that isn’t in the Gem Store.

in Living World

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

More account bound items should be a strategy to improve rewards in this game without breaking the economy, in my opinion. I wonder if Anet agrees with that or not.

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

More account bound items should be a strategy to improve rewards in this game without breaking the economy, in my opinion. I wonder if Anet agrees with that or not.

I think so too. People repeatedly say that they want more skins from playing the game and not the store and I don’t doubt that Anet has read that quote… but most people aren’t specific enough. They don’t elaborate how it could be done.

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

GW2 needs new full armor sets that can be acquired from within the game. I’ve been saying this for almost a year, and it never happens.

Please elaborate. There are a lot of problems with various implementations of this. Also: technically you already can since gold is earned within the game and you simply turn it to gems and buy it.

I guess what you guys mean (correct me if I’m wrong) is that you’re missing the context. That a fiery weapon should drop in a volcano area from a destroyer (simple example). An other viewpoint: you miss the stories about the rewards.

what else needs to be considered:

• dungeon token skin sets – not everyone likes dungeons and people want to see more nice rewards from open world content
  • karma reward – people have accumulated tons of karma and just buying the stuff for karma feels quite underwhelming when you still have half a million karma in your wallet after the purchase

This is why I tried to suggest zone specific (story context) drops which are accountbound (can’t take a shortcut by being rich).

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Recipes should also never be account-bound. You’ve still got to make the darn thing afterwards too.

in Living World

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I hope so too but something tells me it’s only gonna be via gem store…

in Living World

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

gemstore only, is likely. its the easiest way to make money via gemstore…so it will not stop.

but if there are new in-game armors they would be tied to crafting……either a new tier (legendary armor) or MF (unique exotics like they do with weapons…..which i would love).

that said, i would obviously love localized event-based earn-able skins, that the OP suggests….i just doubt it happens. too much RL money is spent to get rare TP skins.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I don’t think it’s all about money for them. It just takes much more work to create a context (story, events) for the new skin-set – so it’s about ressources. Maybe Maguuma is the perfect chance since there will be enough content.

in Living World

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

I’d rather not have more RNG stuff. Tokens are better.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

in Living World

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

The biggest problem is that developers need to be paid. Anet’s business model has them giving away the playable content and charging for (most of) the new skins.

Personally I prefer this to the alternative

in Living World

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Maybe a good time to reintroduce that tribal armor we saw in PvP for awhile.

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Maybe a good time to reintroduce that tribal armor we saw in PvP for awhile.

it certainly fits the jungle-theme… maybe drops from a new Hylek tribe? ^^
Well I guess it’s wishful thinking, we haven’t heard a word from Anet about it’s stance on peoples opinion regarding the lack of set-skins from drops/rewards.

in Living World

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Everything should be account bound.

Adding a market economy to a videogame is not only pointless but anti-fun.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

in Living World

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

Not having a Trading Post/Auctionhouse was one of the biggest complaints ANet received about GW1.

in Living World

Prophet.6257

Nothing should be account bound.

Having another option to gain items besides random drops is more fun than RNG.

Although, I do wish we had new drops to work with. It seems a little weird to me we still have only the same weapon and armor skin drops we started with two years ago.

(edited by Prophet.6257)

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Everything should be account bound.Adding a market economy to a videogame is not only pointless but anti-fun.

I heavily disagree. What do you think is the reason for that bad RNG? It’s because the trading post is global. They had to decrease the droprate of those special skins because otherwise there would be a huge number of these in the trading post which would devalue them. People undercut constantly would make them a few silver instead of hundrets of gold.

The trading post is the reason for bad RNG. Look at Diablo III, after the auction house was taken out of the game loot has much better droprates and people enjoy getting that loot through killing mobs.

So I’m not saying: get rid of the TP. I’m saying that there should be exclusive skins that drop on an accountbound status. This way the droprate could go up considerably.

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Whilst it would please players to get a nice new cosmetic for running through events there are a couple of other things to consider -
1) You’re asking for full reward for playing the game exactly like you play it. That sort of post occurs often on the forums. This is particularly true for cosmetics where players want the cosmetic for themselves but don’t want it to be so common that everyone else wears it too.
2) The story events are designed to be completed by everyone, absolutely everyone. Giving rewards for that will be like giving rewards for logging on.

Having said that, it would make sense for an armor set to be available through LS2, one piece at a time. That would encourage players to get every chapter.

in Living World

Posted by: Lolindir.3518

Lolindir.3518

Whilst it would please players to get a nice new cosmetic for running through events there are a couple of other things to consider -
1) You’re asking for full reward for playing the game exactly like you play it. That sort of post occurs often on the forums. This is particularly true for cosmetics where players want the cosmetic for themselves but don’t want it to be so common that everyone else wears it too.
2) The story events are designed to be completed by everyone, absolutely everyone. Giving rewards for that will be like giving rewards for logging on.

Having said that, it would make sense for an armor set to be available through LS2, one piece at a time. That would encourage players to get every chapter.

Actually they said somewhere that the LS2 will be much harder than the first one, so it could be possible that for some really hard achievement they could give a specific weapon/armor skin as reward.

I really hope to see less RNG stuff and more rewards based on clearing hard content, or a token system in case of hard bosses since we can’t get everything by just killing him once or twice (it’s also true that it’s not hard to make an achievement that you can repeat… like kill 30 times the Triple Trouble wurm and you get a Regurgitated Armor Chest).

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Well we have exclusive skins for people who do dungeons, why not having exclusive skins for people who play the zones? Do events like they were intended instead of having a champion train only which skips every event on it’s way to the next champ.

What’s so bad in having the players do events again? I also would tie the droprate of those skins to the bonus-xp mobs have accumulated when not being killed, that way people would have to find new places which aren’t crowded which would work against that train-mentality.

Having a party of 2-5 people who roam around a map doing events and following event chains while having a really GOOD chance at exclusive rewards that way would be awesome if you ask me. Currently the exploration-aspect in the game lacks the rewards imho.

in Living World

Prophet.6257

Everything should be account bound.Adding a market economy to a videogame is not only pointless but anti-fun.

I heavily disagree. What do you think is the reason for that bad RNG? It’s because the trading post is global. They had to decrease the droprate of those special skins because otherwise there would be a huge number of these in the trading post which would devalue them. People undercut constantly would make them a few silver instead of hundrets of gold.

The trading post is the reason for bad RNG. Look at Diablo III, after the auction house was taken out of the game loot has much better droprates and people enjoy getting that loot through killing mobs.

So I’m not saying: get rid of the TP. I’m saying that there should be exclusive skins that drop on an accountbound status. This way the droprate could go up considerably.

I don’t know. A LOT of the fun in getting those ultra rare drops is flipping them on the BLTP. However, I suppose if everything I wanted was accountbound and had a substantial increase in their drop rate it would be fine. That won’t help anything lower than the ultra rare though.

in Living World

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

What makes accountbound really better ? The only thing i think is to show off the stuff
and say : Yeah .. i’m so great i have grinded area x 1000 hours to get that.

On the other hand, when you have it finally you will mostly never again touch that area.

Now also people who are not interested in that skins will also maybe not touch that area more than once, so it will be dead like Southsun after a short time.

If its tradeable at least some people will farm there for more drops to sell them to those that are maybe interested in that skin, but not willing to grind for it.

So the question is, what is better for the game .. create “prestige” items for a small number of players at the cost of dead content, or content that is actually played more ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

The same could be said to dungeons, but apparently they aren’t dead – still find a party for any path in the lfg-tool in less than 5min most of the time.

I think everything that makes people go out into the world and explore that, do events like they are intended to… all of this is good for the game. I’m not saying there need to be even more incentives to explore, just that this accountbound-zone specific drops would be a good start.

And I didn’t say that you should have to grind a map 1000 hours, instead I proposed a high droprate of accountbound items and even a higher droprate for these items on mobs (or even events) which haven’t been done for a while.

An other way to get this on: go away from random drops and have it bound to events. Do 20/30 unique events in a zone to get that guaranteed exclusive skin. Some UI would count those events, so doing the same 4 events endlessly would get you nowhere. After you’ve reached those 20/30 events the counter resets and you can repeat it to get another reward (helmet, chest, legs,…)

(edited by Marcus Greythorne.6843)

in Living World

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

The same could be said to dungeons, but apparently they aren’t dead – still find a party for any path in the lfg-tool in less than 5min most of the time.

But thats mainly because of the direct Gold people get there. Take that away and give only the tokens for the skins .. i doubt so many people would still play them.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

But thats mainly because of the direct Gold people get there. Take that away and give only the tokens for the skins .. i doubt so many people would still play them.

exactly, that’s why I suggested additional rewards. When you look at it you get at least dungeon tokens = exclusive skins for doing dungeons (+ gold) and what do you get for exploring/events? Karma. Honestly… meh.

(Yes, you get your guaranteed rare and chests for the meta events, but the game is so much more than just looking at your timer and waypointing to the big boss to kill it in 10 minutes)

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

exactly, that’s why I suggested additional rewards. When you look at it you get at least dungeon tokens = exclusive skins for doing dungeons (+ gold) and what do you get for exploring/events? Karma. Honestly… meh.

(Yes, you get your guaranteed rare and chests for the meta events, but the game is so much more than just looking at your timer and waypointing to the big boss to kill it in 10 minutes)

i would do a dungeon if the token(s) i get is a guaranteed armor piece, within one single run.
that’s what they promised before the game was released and that’s one of the reasons why i bought GW2, what they did however put a huge damper on my reasons.

i would like to see some of the GW1 stuff back, an armor merchant is always welcome.
altough i guess they are gonna price them just as high as the cultural armors, 35g just for the chest piece…….talk about overpriced…….and it isn’t even max(exotic/ascended)

in Living World

Posted by: Gynok.1756

Gynok.1756

Would be the best to keep the new skins in item mall.

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

i would do a dungeon if the token(s) i get is a guaranteed armor piece, within one single run.
that’s what they promised before the game was released and that’s one of the reasons why i bought GW2, what they did however put a huge damper on my reasons.

i would like to see some of the GW1 stuff back, an armor merchant is always welcome.
altough i guess they are gonna price them just as high as the cultural armors, 35g just for the chest piece…….talk about overpriced…….and it isn’t even max(exotic/ascended)

It was a long road to get the “right” balancing of rewards for dungeon. At first you had to do FAR mor runs to get enough tokens to buy a piece of armor which has changed considerably over the course of time.

What I really can’t stand about your comment is the “they promised us” argument. GW2 like any other mmo is an evolving game which changes based on consumer feedback (voiced or data) as well as the judgement of the devs in their view what’s best for the game. Nothing is stale. There were NO promises, only design-thoughts that changed in order to make it work for most consumers.

in Living World

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Except you can. You get 60 tokens for a run, and a rare chest piece can be purchased with that. Dungeons take 5~20 minutes, and an exotic piece of armor should take more time than that. You don’t deserve an exotic chestpiece for 5 minutes of facerolling.

in Living World

sorudo.9054

It was a long road to get the “right” balancing of rewards for dungeon. At first you had to do FAR mor runs to get enough tokens to buy a piece of armor which has changed considerably over the course of time.

What I really can’t stand about your comment is the “they promised us” argument. GW2 like any other mmo is an evolving game which changes based on consumer feedback (voiced or data) as well as the judgement of the devs in their view what’s best for the game. Nothing is stale. There were NO promises, only design-thoughts that changed in order to make it work for most consumers.

then all i can guess is that you have not bin here from the start, they specifically said 2 clear things.
1.) when you do a dungeon you get a token to choose the dungeon specific armor
2.) we don’t make an article unless we are sure about the decision

they did promise, it’s just a shame they changed the website and hid all the articles they made before release.

in Living World

sorudo.9054

Except you can. You get 60 tokens for a run, and a rare chest piece can be purchased with that. Dungeons take 5~20 minutes, and an exotic piece of armor should take more time than that. You don’t deserve an exotic chestpiece for 5 minutes of facerolling.

1.) i don’t faceroll anything, better yet, i am one of the few players who like to take their time playing the dungeon even if it takes about 2 hours.
2.) i deserve the armor just as much, farming the dungeon is more a reason to not deserve an armor rather then playing the dungeon.

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It’s easy to see the old blogs. Just use the wayback machine.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110701085604/http://www.arena.net/blog/monthly-archives

in Living World

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

If we could get new recipes for new armor sets somehow, for example by unlocking a vendor through a quest line, where we can buy recipies for karma or gold+karma, I’d be happy. Preferably level 80 exotic. If it were through drops they’d either be way too rare or way too abundant, Anet rarely strikes a nice balance here. xD

in Living World

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

There definitely needs to be more armor styles available for free. So many different armors are available during the core game via drops or karma and afterwards, only in gemstore.

in Living World

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

No such thing as free skins. You either pay with money or time.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

in Living World

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Someone gets it. I might die of a heart attack.
My +1 to you.

in Living World

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Although, I do wish we had new drops to work with. It seems a little weird to me we still have only the same weapon and armor skin drops we started with two years ago.

Not true. Several exotics have been added.

in Living World

Prophet.6257

Not true. Several exotics have been added.

That’s correct. I forgot about the “boss skins” Those are kind of nice.

I was thinking more common drops though.