new writer (Ree Soesbee) for Living World?

in Living World

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

On Reddit some guys who followed the chinese stream (where Ree was interviewed) posted that Ree Soesbee would be the new writer for the upcoming Living Story Season.

Can someone confirm this? This would be huge for me personally, I absolutely LOVE her work.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Living World

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

That would be great, Sea pf Sorrows was a good book, not the best among the 3 GW books, but good nonetheless.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Living World

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

The last year’s LS was disastrous. I mean, honestly, I know that this game’s supposed to appeal to the widest spectrum of players possible, but come on, dialogues written for 10-year-old children aren’t the way to go…
Plus, leave the temporary content, introduce permanent one ( new explorable maps, classes, professions, more skills, weapons mix n match et.c etc. as compared to msotly gem store items ) via the LS if you have to.
My personal favourite would be to, along the LS temporary kitten, introduce an exp pack. That would fit the ANet’s philosophy, I believe.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

in Living World

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

I don’t think it was the writers per se, it was more like the limitations imposed by 2 week temporary content and the game engine.

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

in Living World

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I don’t think it was the writers per se, it was more like the limitations imposed by 2 week temporary content and the game engine.

Most of them lasted for nearly a month but we got new add one every 2 weeks to the LS at the same time. It would not be much of a story if it just happens over and over endlessly images if scarlet was still taking down LA at the same time as she was in her drill at the same time that she dies at the same time as ppl are morning the lost of there loves ones after scarlet was gone at the same time as we have this new event coming up at the same time as we start to rebuild LA.

Some times content needs to get cut leaving it in the game becomes pointless when ever one is done with it about a month is a good time scale for most ppl to do the event and get the full story (most of the time ppl doing it with in the first day its out).

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

They need to rebrand the Living Story. Season 1 ruined the name “Living Story,” giving it a really bad connotation.

in Living World

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

Could I get a source on that? I can’t find the post on reddit.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

in Living World

Posted by: The Revenant.4970

The Revenant.4970

The ‘story’ of the Living story could definitely be improved on. I wouldn’t mind if they had different writers every season, bringing different tones and perspectives to the table.

in Living World

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

It is my understanding that she’s always been a part of the writing team. Her title is Writer and Lore & Continuity Designer for Arenanet

in Living World

Posted by: BigfootArisen.6509

BigfootArisen.6509

Could I get a source on that? I can’t find the post on reddit.

Here you go.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/25g12e/prepare_for_the_festival_of_the_four_winds/chgsx9s

EDIT:
They don’t have a link to the stream, but that’s where I first saw it.

(edited by BigfootArisen.6509)

in Living World

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I dont think LS was all that bad. It was inconsistent and felt stitched together, but was OK.

in Living World

Posted by: Ionut.2307

Ionut.2307

I dont think LS was all that bad. It was inconsistent and felt stitched together, but was OK.

In other words, it was really bad.

in Living World

GuzziHero.2467

Nnnooooo I don’t think thats what I said. English not your first language?

in Living World

Posted by: Ionut.2307

Ionut.2307

Indeed, english IS not my first language.

in Living World

GuzziHero.2467

Wiki says:

Ree Soesbee is a Writer and Lore & Continuity Designer for ArenaNet. She is ABD on a PhD in Literature & Myth, and has written novels, CCGs and RPGs, including work for the Star Trek RPG, Legend of the Five Rings, and Dragonlance. In addition to her literary work, she studies Japanese, plays the violin, ganks people in PVP, and serves as Companion to the Grand Adventuress of Cats.

Last edited on 29 July 2013, so I am not sure if this is news.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ree_Soesbee

in Living World

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

She has always been one of the writers for gw2, i dont know which parts she was writing though.

in Living World

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!! <3 Ree!!

I’m in heaven here!

# Asura because I’m worth it!

in Living World

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

If this is seriously true, then I can truly understand why Season 1’s story was so terrible…
I always had somehow from the begin on the fealing, that none of the “main writers” are responsible for Season one, nor have written the lore around it, but instead someone copletely different did all the work.

When even the lore quality of the Novel Books is like 10000x better, than the games living story, then there simply can#t be something right…

However, when Ree is now taking back the lead of the lore writing, I’m sure things will get with the next season and onwards then only alot better.

Because Season 1 just felt, as if it has been completely written by an amature, compared to the Novel Books, which are all very good reads

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in Living World

Posted by: Robert.4197

Robert.4197

Wiki says:

Ree Soesbee is a Writer and Lore & Continuity Designer for ArenaNet. She is ABD on a PhD in Literature & Myth, and has written novels, CCGs and RPGs, including work for the Star Trek RPG, Legend of the Five Rings, and Dragonlance. In addition to her literary work, she studies Japanese, plays the violin, ganks people in PVP, and serves as Companion to the Grand Adventuress of Cats.

Last edited on 29 July 2013, so I am not sure if this is news.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ree_Soesbee

Here’s a video posted 2 years ago on twitch, echoing in the audio for the first 2 1/2 minutes.

Edit: link didn’t go through, here it is http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/b/327657138#!

(edited by Robert.4197)

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

dragonlance? I really enjoyed those books back in the days…

this is good news.

in Living World

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Ree has always been one of the overseers of the in game lore, and one of the major writers. But she wasn’t writing for the living story before, so this is really great news. It means the living story should fit in with the actual lore a lot better than it has done.

in Living World

Posted by: Tamias.7059

Tamias.7059

In what should be quite a positive thread (go Ree Soesbee! Sea of Sorrows was my favourite novel!), the level of vitriol is pretty unsettling. Everyone has their criticisms of season 1, myself included, but ultimately it was an experiment. ANet have always, from GW1 to release to the Living World, been willing to try out things that other devs just won’t. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, and you know what, I think season 1 did actually work. There was a massive improvement between Flame and Frost (remember that “small expansion-sized update” we were going to get in Jan/Feb, which then ended up being quite a bit smaller than that and spread out between Jan-April?) and Tower of Nightmares, and it continued to improve after that. And it will continue to improve in the future. And I think there’s probably very little truth in attributing the problems with S1 purely to the writers. It was an experiment with a poorly-defined scope, and that’s what led to the time constraints that led to crucial things like Ellen Kiel’s victory speech being left out just because someone forgot to add it into the game, and staffers pulling regular 60-hour weeks for the Battle of Lion’s Arch, just for people to turn around and say season 1’s story was terrible, let the “main” writers do the job.

The complaints aren’t really what bothers me. They’re standard for MMO official forums, and every now and then someone actually makes the effort to think about them constructively, and the company gets actual valuable feedback. No, what bothers me is the personal nature of them. ANet do read the forums, and there’s a chance the people whose livelihoods you’re saying are being wasted, who are passionate about what they’re writing to be told that it’s trash, will actually end up reading what you’re saying. No amount of fault with a product, perceived or real, entitles you to be that kind of customer. It’s something you only ever see on video game forums, or in the worst kinds of school classrooms. And it’s possible to criticise without being too personal. This thread was almost entirely negative, but the feedback was also constructive and well-thought out, and was acknowledged and seriously considered by ANet.

And by the way, my understanding is that there are several Living World teams who work on a rotation, so there’s actually quite a few writers (including Jeff Grubb, who is by no stretch of the imagination an amateur) who write the releases. I’d imagine that Ree was on one of those releases you’re saying was so terrible. At the same time, I don’t think everyone at ANet is involved with the Living World, so I’d be interested to hear about whatever those who weren’t were working on.

But yeah, I’m optimistic for season 2. The LW has had a year and a half to find its feet, and since nearly all the characters and storylines were new, nothing got broken. Now it’s going to be delving into more established lore, new areas from GW1, and by the looks of it it’s kicking off with a callback to one of the better releases from S1. I know this isn’t going to make much of a difference, but ANet have shown that they are developers who really are interested in feedback, and if you’re willing to sit down and think and consider what specifically it was about s1 that left you disappointed beyond “the writing is terrible”, and more importantly what you would do to improve it, then they’ll listen to you too.

EDIT: By the way, if you want to see what some of these writers can really do, I recommend the wiki’s collection of short stories.

Victory Is Life Eternal [VILE]

(edited by Tamias.7059)

in Living World

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Hey guys. We’re going to temporarily stop selling old-soda that everyone buys. We’re going to replace it with NEW-soda, which will intentionally be inferior to the old-soda. After that, we will reintroduce the old-soda again with a hip, new, RETRO marketing campaign. Business will be booming as everyone flocks back to the old-soda! (We also get PR for looking like we “listen” to fans too!)

That’s my metaphor. But I don’t know how much it applies to GW2.

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

If she and Jeff Grubb would be responsible for Living Story instead of McCoy and Scott, I would be really pleased, knowing that I don’t have to worry about upcoming content.

One can dream.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Living World

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Thanks Tamias, I felt much the same way. I’ve seen a lot of “you should fire xyz person / team” posts, and wondered if those posters had considered what they would be thinking if someone came to their workplace and said that about them, to their boss, in front of their face. I do believe the nature of the Internet is responsible for some of that – I very much doubt the same people would be as brazen in real life where things don’t seem so detached.

Personally, I suspect the problems with storytelling in LS Season 1 fell to production issues – mostly having to cut corners to meet deadlines and resource constraints. If the writers had something more detailed in mind, but constantly had to scale back the places they were going to do that plot exposition, it’s pretty easy to imagine that any story with too much nuance is not going to come out how they wanted it to.
You can fix that with better planning, and the last few episodes of the LS seemed to improve the hit/miss ratio – so I think it’s something that can be fixed without requiring a new writing staff. They’ve had a year and a bit to learn what tends to happen in this format, and might be better at making it work now.

Of course, they also might not… I just prefer not to be a kitten when I don’t understand what people have to deal with. They do have to get better though. Regardless of the reasons, Scarlet came across like a cartoon villain, and nobody wants a repeat of that.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Living World

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

That would be great, Sea pf Sorrows was a good book, not the best among the 3 GW books, but good nonetheless.

Did we read the same 3 books? Sea of Sorrows was the only of those 3 books that raised the bar and was a decent read. OK, Ghost of Ascalon is decent too, but Edge of Destiny… oh man, it was nearly Living Story in book form :P

On a serious note, if Ree was not involved with story writing for Season 1, then having her onboard for Season 2 is both a necessity and great news if Anet are serious about having Living Story succeed.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Living World

FlamingFoxx.1305

Dondarrion is right. Sea of Sorrows was the only book that was actually well written. Ree is an amazing writer. I’m an English student and spend all my time reading books, the first two GW novels were ok, but they were nothing special…

in Living World

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Did we read the same 3 books? Sea of Sorrows was the only of those 3 books that raised the bar and was a decent read. OK, Ghost of Ascalon is decent too, but Edge of Destiny… oh man, it was nearly Living Story in book form :P

In my opinion GoA > SoS > EoD
Lore-wise SoS is the best by far, but as a novel, as a whole, I prefer the GoA.
SoS is a bit slow paced until the last 5 or so chapters, imo.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

(edited by Belzebu.3912)

in Living World

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

SoS, and to a lesser extent EoD, also had a bit of a problem with ‘can hear the dice rolling’. Although, to be fair, when it happened in EoD it wasn’t skills that actually exist in the game…

That’s probably my biggest criticism there, though, and if probably substantially less relevant within the game itself, for obvious reasons.

She has always been one of the writers for gw2, i dont know which parts she was writing though.

Ree and Jeff were both somewhat absent in LS1 – they were consulted on lore points, but kept very quiet about what they were doing themselves. The most likely explanation for that was always that they were doing the groundwork for something that would come after Season 1 (albeit not necessarily immediately after).

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Living World

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

if season 2 is just her explaining lore.. then you can sign me up right now    n___n

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

in Living World

Posted by: goldmagistrate.2601

goldmagistrate.2601

I could’ve sworn the 2 writers responsible jokingly admitted to writing the framework for Living Story S1 by locking themselves in a room and coming up with everything in 1 day.

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Guys, we’ve seen some of the blog-posts from the LS1 writers and these were quite good; people just complained that those weren’t released ingame instead – not on it’s quality.

What I’m trying to say: the problem wasn’t the quality of writing but the way it was integrated into the game. It seems that they had to cut almost everything with depth because there was simply no time to include it because it takes obviously a lot of time to create new events which make use of those story-bits.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Living World

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I could’ve sworn the 2 writers responsible jokingly admitted to writing the framework for Living Story S1 by locking themselves in a room and coming up with everything in 1 day.

That would be this, I believe, where GW2 writers mention that the entire year and a half of Living Story was put together by these two while locked in a room for two days.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

That explains a lot.

Well, I am optimistic for the story with season 2, I seriously doubt it could be worse.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Living World

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

I asked Angel a long time ago via twitter what Ree’s been doing since Sea of Sorrows. I got the response that she’s been working on a project for a while now…maybe Season 2 was that project.

in Living World

Posted by: BobbyStein

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

Next

On Reddit some guys who followed the chinese stream (where Ree was interviewed) posted that Ree Soesbee would be the new writer for the upcoming Living Story Season.

Can someone confirm this? This would be huge for me personally, I absolutely LOVE her work.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I think some overzealous fans misinterpreted the announcements from China. Ree did not work on the Festival of the Four Winds content. I can’t comment on what she’s been working on lately, or on any unannounced future releases.

It’s great to see so many fans of hers express support, though. I’m sure she’ll be excited to know you’re looking forward to whatever she’s involved with.

in Living World

FlamingFoxx.1305

Guys, we’ve seen some of the blog-posts from the LS1 writers and these were quite good; people just complained that those weren’t released ingame instead – not on it’s quality.

What I’m trying to say: the problem wasn’t the quality of writing but the way it was integrated into the game. It seems that they had to cut almost everything with depth because there was simply no time to include it because it takes obviously a lot of time to create new events which make use of those story-bits.

Physical stories and game stories are two very different things. Think of it sort of like the difference between a novel and a movie. Someone might be great at writing novels, but that is not going to translate automatically into being good at writing movies. Screenplays require a completely different set of skills from a writer, the pacing is different and the way everything interacts is different.

The stories that were posted to the blogs were decent (though I don’t think they were as well written as the pre-launch stories), but that writing skill set doesn’t necessarily translate well into the story that the players get to play through – which is the most important thing.

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Thanks for the clarification Bobby, at least I hope that she’s still working on content for GW2. I absolutely mean no disrespect to the LS1 writers, like I mentioned above.

I agree with FlamingFoxx that the important thing is the translation from the writing board to the actual live game.

in Living World

Previous

BobbyStein

Next

Thanks for the clarification Bobby, at least I hope that she’s still working on content for GW2. I absolutely mean no disrespect to the LS1 writers, like I mentioned above.

I agree with FlamingFoxx that the important thing is the translation from the writing board to the actual live game.

Agreed. One of our biggest challenges from the first season of the Living World was merging story moments with gameplay and presenting the story in a way that matched our vision. We learned a lot from working on season one and will be applying that knowledge.

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I hate to burst your bubble, but I think some overzealous fans misinterpreted the announcements from China. Ree did not work on the Festival of the Four Winds content. I can’t comment on what she’s been working on lately, or on any unannounced future releases.

It’s great to see so many fans of hers express support, though. I’m sure she’ll be excited to know you’re looking forward to whatever she’s involved with.

Hmm, seems like the question remains unanswered.
The topic was if Ree is involved into next living story season, not release. We know that she isn’t in Bazaar and Queen’s Jubilee seasonal releases already.
Unless you claim Bazaar to be the opening of Season 2 which may be… Cool

So we either can’t exclude Ree kitten writer if Bazaar isn’t S2 or if Bazaar is S2, I could take it as a confirmation

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Living World

Previous

BobbyStein

Next

The topic was if Ree is involved into next living story season, not release. We know that she isn’t in Bazaar and Queen’s Jubilee seasonal releases already.

So we either can’t exclude Ree kitten writer if Bazaar isn’t S2 or if Bazaar is S2, I could take it as a confirmation

Festival of the Four Winds is a festival release. We have not announced anything past that.

in Living World

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

talking about something important:
  is that the map will remain? = 3

what? why look at me like that?

• cough *

ok. ok. * be hidden *

# Asura because I’m worth it!

in Living World

Posted by: mricezombie.4560

mricezombie.4560

Bobby Stein are you the good counterpart of Bobby kotick?

in Living World

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

I can’t comment on what she’s been working on lately, or on any unannounced future releases.

expansion lore, confirmed    >_>

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

in Living World

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

Wait a tick; you said the same thing 8 months ago that both Ree and Jeff were working on a separate project.

I can’t comment on what Ree and Jeff are working on, but I can say that I’m ultimately responsible for the quality of the Living World story. I don’t imagine we’ll please everyone with our new direction, but that’s true of any story. That stated, I encourage people to leave their feedback. Just please be respectful.

That is either a long hiatus period, or something else that is pretty major.

(edited by Sindex.9520)

in Living World

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Obviously, Anet hooked up Ree and Jeff to computers, and they are holding them in isolation pods, so they can harvest all their thoughts and ideas for future future lore.

in Living World

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

@Bobby Stein
Q: If according to your Wiki Ree was on your team since atleast 29 July 2013, can i ask if she did or did not work on any of the LS story from S1? Or is she about to start out with S2.

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Festival of the Four Winds is a festival release. We have not announced anything past that.

Ah, I get where you’re coming from, because of job reasons you’re literally not allowed to tell us anything. Thanks for sharing what you could.

in Living World

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

While I’d like Ree to join the LS writing team, I don’t think it’s wise to have an overhaul of the writing team, for coherency and consistency reasons. I just want a little bit of Ree added to the “soup” to make it tastier. I know different ingredients mixed together could lead to a bad tasting soup (please bear with me on my analogies), but I have hopes this could lead to a much tastier soup. I’m not saying the soup is bad, nor do I question the passion of the writers. It’s just that, nothing else. Also I’d like to suggest hiring rookie writers from different cultural backgrounds. I think their contribution could add some unique flavor to the “soup”, although their vision of Tyria might conflict with the existing ones, I do think this is for the best of Tyria. I’ve always believed (lore-wise) that the Mists, the Ethernal Alchemy, the endless sea of aether, to be sentient, or atleast semi-sentient, and that the writers of Guild Wars are its other-wordly caretakers, shapers. Beyond the Mists, beyond the dreams. By adding rookie writers, you add chaos to the Mists. And from this chaos, you give birth to something new.

in Living World

FlamingFoxx.1305

^—- That doesn’t make sense to me. Ree is the Lore and Continuity designer, so if anyone is going to make the lore and story more consistent it is her. Thus far it’s been kind of messy and all over the show. Ree would be the perfect solution >.>