stop calling me "boss"!

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

it really gets on my nerves.

i don’t mind our little NPC friends. i quite like them. i just can’t stand being referred to as “boss”, or “leader”, or any cheesy attempt to put me on a higher level. hell, even if i for some reason am their leader, don’t have it rubbed on my face all the time. i can understand kiel saying it. i don’t understand my supposed friends calling me “the boss” as if i was some mobster.

my proposed alternative: this goes in hand with my other complaint (that the dialogue-heavy parts don’t really have any animations and you can picture the VAs inside their booths talking because the characters are just not moving, the fort salma scene was one such moment), but animate the NPCs more to represent who they’re talking to.

use the “turn left/right” animations to turn the character to the player (or as close to the player as you can if he’s one of those kids that keeps running around during story) or hell, just snap them (would look lame though), but make them face who they’re talking to. this would allow writers to use more second person, which in turn means using less titles.

point is, i don’t like being called boss, and i don’t like that the characters outside cutscenes are glorified dolls (you know, like when you play doll, or the boy equivalent of playing doll, you don’t really move the characters, you just use different voices).

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

There are always silly complaints. Always.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

lol, people complain about not being important, so they make you the ‘boss’ then people complain about that too; there’s no wining.

Well for me, this is a plus, I don’t mind being a mob boss; it adds a bit of depth to my character persona.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

There are always silly complaints. Always.

it’s not silly, it’s grating. it would get on my nerves if my guildies started calling me “boss” just because i’m the guild leader, it gets on my nerves when these guys keep calling me boss. “that’s for the boss only”. “lead on, boss”. “our boss has arrived”. STOP.

but yes, it’s a minor complaint in an otherwise enjoyable episode.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I don’t mind being called boss, I mean your character is always referred to with a title instead of your name in ps/ls. I just find it funny that

- Braham calls you boss

- commences to tell everybody what to do

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

lol, people complain about not being important, so they make you the ‘boss’ then people complain about that too; there’s no wining.

Well for me, this is a plus, I don’t mind being a mob boss; it adds a bit of depth to my character persona.

eeehh, i was never one to complain about my relevance in the story, though i DO appreciate every time someone from the pact or the orders calls me commander. that’s a title i earned, and it’s a lot less grating than “boss”. but that’s a title i only expect to hear from officials, not random citizens.

i just feel it’s weird, because nothing made it seem like i was on anything other than an equal level as them, one more adventurer (though with plenty of baggage) in a group of adventuring friends.

i guess i just don’t like nicknames, and “boss” sounds like one to me >.>

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Rengaru.4730

Rengaru.4730

The problem is that the player needs to have a name the NPCs can call them.

I was wondering how they would get around that issue in Episode 1 when someone said something like “our friend over here” and it took me a few seconds untill I realized they meant me.

The personal story did it as well (e.g. Snaff Savant or Slayer of Jormag), but they changed your “name” every few levels untill you became known as “commander”.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

I don’t mind being called boss, I mean your character is always referred to with a title instead of your name in ps/ls. I just find it funny that

- Braham calls you boss

- commences to tell everybody what to do

i found it funny that i was being called boss during the leyline hub part, and then everyone just rushed ahead without me. didn’t give me time to appreciate the area until it was over >.>

it’s funny too, because on the other instances, the NPCs were just chasing you like henchmen from GW1… until they despawned, that is (seriously, kasmeer and jory left me fighting that veteran alone about halfway through and nowhere to be found).

they also seem way less likely to rez you now, which is… slightly annoying. they just run over my body because they’d rather keep hitting enemies. on the bright side, props for super proactive NPCs that don’t kitten for 10 seconds before using another skill.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

I like my character being called boss. Reminds me of Saints Row.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Uhaen.9876

Uhaen.9876

Forget you. I’m da bawss.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

The problem is that the player needs to have a name the NPCs can call them.

I was wondering how they would get around that issue in Episode 1 when someone said something like “our friend over here” and it took me a few seconds untill I realized they meant me.

The personal story did it as well (e.g. Snaff Savant or Slayer of Jormag), but they changed your “name” every few levels untill you became known as “commander”.

i realize that, i just don’t like “boss”. feels authoritary, which i shouldn’t be. “friend” sounds artificial (when was the last time you called your friend “friend”?), and to use second person (which would be preferred), they’d need to actually start employing animations during the non-cutscene dialogue.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

I like my character being called boss. Reminds me of Saints Row.

see: my comment about feeling like a mobster.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Rengaru.4730

Rengaru.4730

i realize that, i just don’t like “boss”. feels authoritary, which i shouldn’t be. “friend” sounds artificial (when was the last time you called your friend “friend”?), and to use second person (which would be preferred), they’d need to actually start employing animations during the non-cutscene dialogue.

So what name would you suggest, I don’t think simple animations especially in combat scenarios would suffice.

Personally I think “Boss” is at least somewhat fitting, since they won’t really do anything when you’re not around :P

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

So what name would you suggest, I don’t think simple animations especially in combat scenarios would suffice.

Personally I think “Boss” is at least somewhat fitting, since they won’t really do anything when you’re not around :P

that’s what i’m trying to think, though there never seems to be any talk involving the player during combat (or any talk at all, which is a missed opportunity, but that’s for another thread), only in still dialogue.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

FenrirSlakt.3692

By employing the Seer abilities I learned last season from all those people predicting how bad the next patch/LS chapter, regardless of having no evidence at all, I foresee that we won’t be called “boss” next chapter and then everyone will cry about feeling unappreciated and unwanted.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

By employing the Seer abilities I learned last season from all those people predicting how bad the next patch/LS chapter, regardless of having no evidence at all, I foresee that we won’t be called “boss” next chapter and then everyone will cry about feeling unappreciated and unwanted.

Ah just don’t both because people will find something to complain about in the end.

On that note:

If thing escolate far enough then we may be called into active duty again to become the Commander the Pact to handle the Mordremoth Invasion. This is a full blown invasion we are dealing with right now after all and one caused by a Elder Dragon at that.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

eeehh, i was never one to complain about my relevance in the story, though i DO appreciate every time someone from the pact or the orders calls me commander. that’s a title i earned, and it’s a lot less grating than “boss”. but that’s a title i only expect to hear from officials, not random citizens.

i just feel it’s weird, because nothing made it seem like i was on anything other than an equal level as them, one more adventurer (though with plenty of baggage) in a group of adventuring friends.

Honestly, the thing is you’ve never been on an equal level with them. From the very beginning, YOU were the only one of the group to face down a dragon and live, YOU lead the assault on Zhaitan on multiple fronts.

They’re mere foot soldiers in comparison tbh.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

i hope that wasn’t directed at me, ’cause i think i even mentioned on this thread that i actually really liked the past two episodes (and never really had much issue with living story to begin with).

but it’s important to voice (eloquently and educatedly) your criticisms, however minor, if you want to have them addressed.

i’m only pointing out what i think would improve the game’s narrative, however minor that improvement might be. if anything, the fact that such a small thing is one of my few complaints speaks volumes about what i do like.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

Honestly, the thing is you’ve never been on an equal level with them. From the very beginning, YOU were the only one of the group to face down a dragon and live, YOU lead the assault on Zhaitan on multiple fronts.

so? i’m going to walk a fine line here, but assume i was a war veteran in real life. should i expect newfound friends to treat me highly? no. what i did in the past is important for the people involved in that event. i might gather their respect (and that is clear from dialogue without them calling me boss), but it shouldn’t automatically put me in a position to boss people around (see? it even sounds pejorative)

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

so? i’m going to walk a fine line here, but assume i was a war veteran in real life. should i expect newfound friends to treat me highly? no. what i did in the past is important for the people involved in that event. i might gather their respect (and that is clear from dialogue without them calling me boss), but it shouldn’t automatically put me in a position to boss people around (see? it even sounds pejorative)

In this case, yes it does. You have the most experience with the dragons both as a front line fighter and a commander. So of course you’re the de-facto leader/boss.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Well, they needed to call us something. The only other good title would be whatever each race title is for you. (Hero, Soldier, Slayer, Valiant, Savant, and/or Commander, once you’ve gotten past that stage.) While “boss” sounds…bossy, it still works.

This complaint feels silly.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

FenrirSlakt.3692

The thing is, you can’t please everyone. Once you introduce something, different groups of people come to like it, while others hate it. If in a subsequent patch you were to change it, you would displease the former and please a fraction of the latter, as a large portion of them do not even know what they want and somehow expect ANET to find out and give it to them.
I personally do not mind being called “the boss”, because I know that it’s only used because they can’t have the NPCs call our characters by their names.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

The thing is, you can’t please everyone. Once you introduce something, different groups of people come to like it, while others hate it. If in a subsequent patch you were to change it, you would displease the former and please a fraction of the latter, as a large portion of them do not even know what they want and somehow expect ANET to find out and give it to them.
I personally do not mind being called “the boss”, because I know that it’s only used because they can’t have the NPCs call our characters by their names.

well of course. and in any subjective matter, usually you’d rather have your subjective opinion win, so you state as much, which is what i’m doing.

yes, some people were hoping to be called boss. i was not one of them. i’m voicing my discontent (hopefully in an educated manner) so that ANet can gauge which side they would prefer listening to, or maybe even finding a way to make both happy.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Why not just call us “Commander” again? Aren’t we technically still a commander?

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

Why not just call us “Commander” again? Aren’t we technically still a commander?

we’re not their commander though. we command the pact. and commander is too formal for someone that’s being written as their friends. could be used in moderation, like when following orders, but it’s not an ideal replacement, especially since the only one tied to an order is marjory, and only tangentially.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I don’t like being called “boss”.

I’d rather be called “Sir”.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Wowlock.8176

Wowlock.8176

Hell , it is better than being called ‘’ HERO ! ’’. I am the Slayer/Commander…hell even Warmaster is fine, at least it reminds me I am carrying my mentor’s memory.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I liked being called boss. It sounded natural to me.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I thought “hero”, “slayer”, etc worked rather well for catchall names in the Personal Story, but I agree with TC that “boss” seems like a weak substitute for [Player’s Name]. “Boss” implies we’re in a position of leadership, and there’s nothing in-game that indicates we’ve displayed any.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Shardelyss.4807

Shardelyss.4807

I’d rather they call me commander, but boss is “acceptable” over being called “hey you!”

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

The PC is the ‘Boss’
Tamini is the Brains
Kasmeer is the good cop
Marjory is the bad cop
Braham is the muscle
Rox is the confused kid
Canach is the dark rival

There you go. Destiny’s Orphans.

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

The PC is the ‘Boss’
Tamini is the Brains
Kasmeer is the good cop
Marjory is the bad cop
Braham is the muscle
Rox is the confused kid
Canach is the dark rival

There you go. Destiny’s Orphans.

i can almost picture a 90’s cartoon intro with this.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

I mean, we have titles. It would be nice if we could use them as more than window dressing. I notice the NPCs do use the correct pronouns, so they are paying attention to that, and sometimes even our professions and race.

I don’t know many friends that go around calling each other by their full names, but also they have a way of speaking in a group that implies you are the subject or the one they are talking to.
With Boss, I don’t mind, but it should/could be associated with one character as a nickname for the PC. Rox calling the PC Boss could be her thing, while other NPCs say something else entirely. (I’ve always been partial to “Sir” regardless of gender.)

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

EdwinLi.1284

As of now we are currently not on active duty which is why we are wandering around the world freely.

We will be called Commander again once we are in active duty with the Pact.

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

darkace.8925

As of now we are currently not on active duty which is why we are wandering around the world freely.

I could be sorely mistaken here, and I’m sure someone in the military will set me straight if I am, but I’ve always been under the impression one is always addressed as their highest rank in the military whether they’re active or not.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

EdwinLi.1284

I could be sorely mistaken here, and I’m sure someone in the military will set me straight if I am, but I’ve always been under the impression one is always addressed as their highest rank in the military whether they’re active or not.

That policy usually only follows to members of the military force.

None of the Investigation Team are members of the Pact so they are not bound by the military policy to address our character as Commander like the Pact Members when our character is off duty.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: spikyblackhair.4951

spikyblackhair.4951

I totally agree that it feels cheesy. Seems pretty much like the direct result of previous complaints on the forums that some people didn’t feel like they were the center of attention in the story.

But in general, as I have said a few times before on the forums, I don’t think these stories work too well in an MMO setting. I would rather write my own story through my choices, so to speak, than have all new content be a single linear quest chain where everybody is called a special snowflake even though it is abundantly clear that it isn’t the case in MMOs. I’m sure some people will be pleased by the sudden flattery (even if it comes out of nowhere and is still more of a nominal thing than fact), but it just makes me cringe. Like really… do we have to be coddled this much? It feels so out of place that it’s just puzzlingly sycophantic on the part of the NPCs and patronizing on the part of anet, if you ask me.

But, as other people have pointed out, it is easier for the writers if they can call us something, so meh. I’ll just try my best to ignore it and let the people who are willing/able/eager to accept it have their day in the sun.

(edited by spikyblackhair.4951)

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Depends upon the venue and circumstances in the case of the US.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Amlin.6041

Amlin.6041

I personally like it and find it appropriate as the PC is the team leader. If you take umbrage to being treated with any honor considering the heroics you’ve done in your storyline then perhaps playing the wrong kind of MMO. As these kinds of MMOs deeply involve and integrate your PC into the narrative and takes into account the superhuman level of heroics you’ve achieved.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Eh, I rather like it. It’s way better than the characters completely ignoring you and your accomplishments like they used to in the past. Boss seems to fit well since the characters are never overtly friendly towards our pc’s, so at least having a working relationship helps explain that away. It’s not like it’s possible for them to call you by name without sounding like Microsoft Sam, so boss is about as good as you can get.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

You liberated the biconics in Season 1, they look up to you, so I think it is suitable they call you boss. You are also a relative “team” and you aren’t the all-knowing of the team, so even though you are the boss, doesn;t mean that the biconics are incapable of doing anything….which is why they actually do things.

There really isn’t much to please a crowd. But as it stands, you are the leader/boss of a group capable of handling themselves (kinda), but are still a group at the end of the day, that you are a part of.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

darkace.8925

I personally like it and find it appropriate as the PC is the team leader. If you take umbrage to being treated with any honor considering the heroics you’ve done in your storyline then perhaps playing the wrong kind of MMO. As these kinds of MMOs deeply involve and integrate your PC into the narrative and takes into account the superhuman level of heroics you’ve achieved.

The problem isn’t that they’re calling us “boss”, it’s that they’re doing it without much (any?) cause to do so. If they hadn’t simply done it out of nowhere – if there had been something organic that lead to them calling us that – then I’d be okay with it. But out of the blue as it is, it just seems off.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Amlin.6041

Amlin.6041

The problem isn’t that they’re calling us “boss”, it’s that they’re doing it without much (any?) cause to do so. If they hadn’t simply done it out of nowhere – if there had been something organic that lead to them calling us that – then I’d be okay with it. But out of the blue as it is, it just seems off.

There was, you lead them and the world to victory over Scarlet. You earned their trust and respect through battle and blood last season.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

darkace.8925

There was, you lead them and the world to victory over Scarlet. You earned their trust and respect through battle and blood last season.

You’re confusing combat prowess with leadership. Or maybe I’m nitpicking. Either way, it just doesn’t feel as deftly handled as the monikers bestowed upon us in the Personal Story.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

no, that’s not it. like i said, i do like when i’m called commander, but only because it makes sense for those people specifically to do that (even if on the same breath, they ask if gixx sent me, when i’m a whispers agent).

in the case of rox & co., i’ve always felt there was a sense of equality and camaraderie, or at least they’re pushing for it, so i always felt like i was on the same level around them. just one more adventurer on the group. hell, until last patch, we were referred to as “you” or “friend” (which is kinda grating too, but for different reasons). now i’m suddenly their boss. THE boss.

something about it makes me feel like the writers secretly wish they were writing an old cartoon about a ragtag gang of kids.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

I don’t mind being called boss. Not at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&gl=SG&v=Rp7jp5H-xWU

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

It does feel sort of forced, insofar as it comes out of nowhere, and seems like it’s a reaction to forum complaints. It also sounds just a wee bit sarcastic, which is undeserved (for the PC, anyway).

Random alternate suggestion: If they bring Canach on as member #6, he might not want to call the PC “boss” given their past antagonistic history. Some insubordinate behavior could then lead to a compromise where they call the PC “The Hero of Lion’s Arch” instead, which is sort of a formal honorific the PC has on account of canonically killing Scarlet. Everyone gets irritated after a couple times trying to use such a long title , so Taimi shortens it to T.H.O.L.A., and you’re Thola from then on out. You have a fixed name for VO, it’s explained rather than just popping in, it provides an opportunity to characterize the biconics and the relationships among them and between them and the PC, etc.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

FenrirSlakt.3692

Oh no, the thread broke.

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I was fine with the Hero of Shaemoor and Commander. I am not really keen on `BossĀ“, it feels like I was demoted.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

stop calling me "boss"!

in Living World

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

most games just use ‘hero’ and it has done pretty well for quite a few years..

remember, even a broken clock is right twice a day…

Attachments:

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish