A slew of questions from a new player

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Altharion.7961

Altharion.7961

Hi
I havent played mmo´s in ages and the last and only one I played was City of Heroes/Villains.
As such i have some questions I hope to get answered

1. Difference in races? Are some better at some classes or not? Is the difference only story related or is there a reason to go with a specifiq race?

2. Classes. What to choose. I used to play and prefere Blasters in CoH and Corrupters in CoV. Anyone know what I mean and what would be the most like that here?

3. What effect does the choices in the charachter creation do. (background and temper)

4. Is there a real tutorial or is the first mission the tutorial?

Cheers

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

If you are new to game, I Highly recommend you watch this video to learn the Combat basics since there are No Roles such as Tanks/Healers/DPS in GW2.

This video explains how the Combat System Mechanics work:

This Next Video gives you an idea of how all 8 Professions play in combat:

I hope these videos help you get a nice head start when playing GW2!
And if you want to read the written (Guide) I recommend checking out the link below for more details:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/GW2-Combat-system-101-Guide/first

Good luck =)

Altharion.7961

Thank you for the videos.

If anyone has answers for my questions as well atth would be really nice

Altharion.7961

A followup question. Wich charahcter is the best for solo mode pve play? I dont mind teaming but my work schedule means that i will often have to solo.

DreamyAbaddon.3265

A followup question. Wich charahcter is the best for solo mode pve play? I dont mind teaming but my work schedule means that i will often have to solo.

solo mode?
ALL professions do well in Damage/Control/Support equally for Solos and Group plays.

Choosing a profession is based on choosing a playstyle you mostly enjoy.
If you watched my 2nd video on “GW2 Combat Demos” it should give you an idea of what style you might be interested in trying out.

Not Only are All Professions self-effeciant when it comes to the combat cores of Damage/control/support in their own unique ways, But the entire game is solo friendly. There are no Quests. Just open world Events, Tasks, Minigames, World Bosses, Personal Stories and such. This means you’ll end up playing with people around you which will make your life much easier. But if nobody is around, you’ll be just fine as long as you understand the Combat basics, which I assume you watched my videos and written guide, you should be fine. =)

DreamyAbaddon.3265

To answer your other questions:

1. Difference in races? Are some better at some classes or not? Is the difference only story related or is there a reason to go with a specifiq race?
There is ONLY 3 Reasons to choose a Race.
Reason #1: because you like the aesthetics of the character.
Reason #2: You enjoy the Story line of that specific race.
Reason #3: You enjoy specific Elite Race specific cosmetic skills.

Other than that, choosing a Race doesn’t effect your stats or character power in anyway or form! Play the race you enjoy! Play the game your way!

2. Classes. What to choose. I used to play and prefere Blasters in CoH and Corrupters in CoV. Anyone know what I mean and what would be the most like that here?
Just watch my 2 videos and read more details on my written (guide) for how the combat system functions as well as getting an idea of how all 8 professions play in combat. It will hopefully help you choose your first profession you might be interested in trying out.

3. What effect does the choices in the charachter creation do. (background and temper)
When choosing your character’s background information, you are choosing how you want your character’s storyline and personality to begin. This effects your Personal Story which you follow and develope based on choices you make to uncover secrets of tyria and becoming a hero. The choices you make do matter and it does change the direction your story goes. So make sure you enjoy them! Its big part of the game.

The first mission IS the tutorial. The idea of the first mission is to show you how leveling is done. It’s to get you used to exploring and getting involved within the world and the story since there are NO Quests in the traditional form. So happy adventuring!

=)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Hi
I havent played mmo´s in ages and the last and only one I played was City of Heroes/Villains.

Cheers

2) As a former CoH player myself I’m going to say Elementalist is closest to a Blaster.

3) Branching Personal Story. There are a series of missions (keeping with the CoH lingo) that lead you to different zones.

4) No tutorial really. There’s the video “online manual” and the official wiki.

I’m playing a Mesmer which also has a great many range attacks, depending on the weapon although swords are melee (but oddly not a greatsword which acts as a beam weapon).

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

Hi

Cheers

1- no difference between races in terms of stats or professions.
some racial skills can be very good with certain setup (asura pain inverter with full condition damage for example) but these are very rare and vastly used in niche builds by people who are bored with the standard play.

2- the classes in gw2 are very different from other MMOs, so don’t compare.
for example warior is a high DPS close range glass canon while elementalist most often played as bunker (i.e. PVP tank) rather than ranged DPS.
you should try the classes and switch them until you get a class that you can relate to.
- you have to play each class at least until level 30 before switching to different class.

3- these decisions have effect on your low level personal story it has no effect past level 30 story. i.e. doesn’t really matter at all.

Posted by: MarkusParkus.8467

MarkusParkus.8467

Welcome aboard from an old CoH player

Without going too far into detail, The ‘Trinity’ of other games has been dumped with GW2, theres no specific damage dealers/healers/tanks anymore, every profession can do whatever it wants!
Elementalist is a great class but I’d advise learning game mechanics on a Guardian/Ranger first.. Remember to use that dodge key often!

Good luck

Furious Scumbag, Raging Scumbag & Geologist Greywind
[NOX] & [Coma] – Gunnar’s Hold.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I’m also a former CoH player.

Roll up an Ele. Humans will feel the most familiar. Try it to level 15 or so. You’ll know if you like it by then or not, and that’s not a huge time investment.

Every class can be used as a “blaster” type (high damage, low health, low armor) It’s much more in the playstle of each profession. They are all very different.

In my experience, I get the most blaster feeling off my mesmer going all power and precision. Plus you can teleport.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Altharion.7961

Thank you for the help and answers so far.

Huamn elem is feeling right so far. Reminds me a little of my Triform Warshade with the switching between elemtel powers.

Another question. Is a “respec” possible. I worry that I might place my skillpoints wrong (have 2 so far) and havent placed them yet becasue i want to do it right.

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

Yes and no.

You can redistribute trait points at any time. You will earn 70 trait points as you level to 80, and you will invest them in a distribution of 5 trait lines. You can then switch around your Major Traits whenever you want. If you want to redistrubite into different trait lines, just talk to your profession trainer (found in every city and 1-15 starting zone) and select the second conversation option to reset your traits for a small fee. Traits increase your attributes as well as give you little perks.

Your skills you permanently unlock and then temporarily assign to your 6-0 slots. You can assign skills whenever you are out of combat and the skill is not in its cooldown period after use. On top of gaining a skill point every level (after level 5 or so), you will also find small events in the world that give you more skill points. There is no way to refund skill points. Eventually you will just unlock every skill, and then you’ll start accumulating skill points to help with some extra (mainly end-game) content.

(edited by DEKeyzToChaos.7381)

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

Yes, there are NPC Trainers located in a many locations for each class. While the cost may seem a bit high when you’re a money starved low level character that using salvage kits on everything, it’s really pretty low. If you mess up and need to switch, it’s not a big deal.

Respec: You can respec to move your Trait points. However your Skill Point choices are permanent. By the time that you complete the lvl 1-15 starter zone of your race and the other Skill Challenge events in the other lvl 1-15 starter zones, you’ll have more than enough Skill Points to play with. (Also once you hit 80th level, any excess experience will now go towards +Skill Points instead of +Levels. So your potential Skill Point gain is effectively infinite at the level cap.)

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You get a skill point every time you earn enough to level, even if you are level 80 the XP bar still fills and empties forever. You can also earn skill points at the various skill point challenges around the world, they are found at the cyan arrow thingy on the map. Believe me it doesn’t take too long to unlock all of the skills but on the way up choose wisely since you can’t respec them.

Traits on the other hand as others pointed out can be reassigned for a “small” fee.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

No one seems to have answered the “Temper” part. There is almost no noticeable effect except in how NPC’s react to you. My totally charismatic thief gets comments like “You seem friendly.” And my quite ferocious warrior gets the option of shoving a man off a diving board into a lake, kerSPLOOSH, which was one of the funniest game moments ever for me. It doesn’t affect your Personal Story outcome, however, or in any way block/open any part of the game beyond those little flavor moments.