AMD/ATI Low FPS

AMD/ATI Low FPS

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Informer.5213

Informer.5213

I don’t have the best computer in the world. Not the worst, definitely, but not the best. I’m running an Alienware M17x, ATI Mobility 5800 HD Video Card, 8gb dual-stick RAM, 1.2TB Raid1 HDD. Usually, at max settings, it runs at upwards of 30 FPS when I first start up the game. However, my FPS will randomly throttle back to about 10 FPS after a couple minutes of loading in. I’m certain this isn’t normal, and I am by no means a tech when it comes to this, so I thought I’d make a thread on it here and see what you guys think.

Yes, I’ve updated my drivers to the most recent beta drivers, no I’m not running a thousand programs in the background when I run Guild Wars 2, and I’ve tried most of the other suggestions I’ve found. I’m not willing to give up quality because this game is absolutely beautiful, so I’ll deal with the low FPS if I have to. I don’t want to, trust me, so hopefully someone out there knows how to fix this problem.

Leoth Shadowclaw – Ranger, Tarnished Coast.

AMD/ATI Low FPS

Posted by: Kharlus.3612

Kharlus.3612

Hey Informer,

This game is beautiful indeed! There are some minor options you can try to improve your fps without loose quality:

- Disable AA into the game or in your GPU driver. AA weigths tons specially in a mobility gpu;
- Try different shader and post processing options in graphic settings. I personally don’t like post processing at maximum. It’s too bright! Even clothes or leather shines like a metalic surface…
- Reflexive at maximum also demand havy gpu processing… try disable it and see how it likes to you

Core Parking:
About your alienware, have you disabled core parking function? This helped me tons! You’ll find threads about it here in this forum as well. I have done it through the registry method.. you don’t need to download any program. That’s how:

- Naviagate to this key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583

- Change “Attributes” to 0;
- Reboot;- Go to advanced energy management and change the core parking option to 100%, as the example image (it’s in portuguese, but is the same option).

Actually you’ll get an overall improvement not only in GW2, but in most games as well. Let me know how it goes to you.

Attachments:

AMD/ATI Low FPS

Posted by: Eastwind.7209

Eastwind.7209

There’s a stickied thread in this very sub-forum (3rd from the top) with a linked guide that is written specifically for AMD 5xxx graphics cards . Apparently there once was some kind of issue where things would get stuck in 2d/low-power mode even when playing 3d games. The guide is pretty clear with lots of screen shots, although it doesn’t explain the most basic things that you need to do along the way like how to open your control panel or catalyst control center or edit a file, so it does require you to know your way around windows a little, and to know some specs of your graphics card (like its max clock rate).