Classes to try? Classes to avoid?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Cbird.4198

Cbird.4198

Thinking about getting back into the game and am looking at the classes and don’t really know what I would like. Admittedly, I’m not very good at these kinds of games but do enjoy playing them quite a bit despite my lack of skill.

I think I will really like the pvp aspect of the game the most if that helps with anything. I also think I would like ranged more than melee.

So I guess what I’m asking is what classes are “easy” to play and what classes are kinda “hot” right now?

Thanks a lot guys.

(edited by Cbird.4198)

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

Warrior is possibly the easiest and “hottest” class right now

ranger/necro and occasionally mesmer are critisized for being hard to learn and/or not helpful and/or underpowered.

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: Teyrul.7804

Teyrul.7804

Just go and play every profession for a bit in PvP. You get level 80 and access to (almost) all traits and skills. A lot of classes are less fun without traits (for example mesmer).

Posted by: sadatoni.6524

sadatoni.6524

I like them all. My two favorites currently are thief and necro, with guardian coming in third.

Posted by: viennapleads.1784

viennapleads.1784

Warrior is possibly the easiest and “hottest” class right now

ranger/necro and occasionally mesmer are critisized for being hard to learn and/or not helpful and/or underpowered.

This is kind of funny to me, since ranger and necro were my first two characters, and still the only ones I have at 80. Everything else I just end up disliking, so I delete them and start over. XD

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Try all classes, avoid the ones you don’t enjoy playing.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I think you should try each class, really. Get them to at least level 50 or 60, if not all the way to 80. That way you’ll have a good idea of the playing style for each of them, and you’ll have one of each class (if you ever need them for anything).

Warrior is definitely the easiest. Guardian is pretty simple, too.

Posted by: Cbird.4198

Cbird.4198

So the melee classes are the easiest It sounds like. I might give the warrior a swing just to get a feel for the game in general.

I do kind of want to play a ranger/thief but surfing around on their forums tell me that they aren’t in a real good spot right now so Ill probably wait on those.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

So the melee classes are the easiest It sounds like. I might give the warrior a swing just to get a feel for the game in general.

I do kind of want to play a ranger/thief but surfing around on their forums tell me that they aren’t in a real good spot right now so Ill probably wait on those.

Never trust the forums.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Class to try: All

Class to avoid: none

Some classes require high skill (high understanding) of the game mechanics to be effective.

I have main warrior since launch and i’ve made an ele as my 4th cha, lv up to 80, don’t like her much and i think ele is weakest class until, apr 15 patch, i rolled my 9th lv80, another ele with the new trait system. This is when i felt the strength of en ele and he became my 2nd favorite cha.

Try all, see all for yourself.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Try all, avoid none for now. Level them tp 80, make proper builds and see how it goes. Then decide which is (are) your main(s).

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

thief seems to be in a nerf-bait spot atm, but by no means are bad in anything aside from maybe dungeons and zergs (but then again they have their place in wvw zergs)

rangers aren’t as bad as people make them out to be, but have the problem of being less than perfect in zergs, and the clunky pet AI is hard to get used to

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

You shouldn’t avoid any class. You might hate the ‘popular’ classes and get a lot of enjoyment out of a ‘less popular’ class.

PvP is very different to PvE in terms of what classes you “should” be playing, whatever that means. For example, rangers and necros are FAR more viable in sPvP than in dungeons or open world content.

Engineers are “hot” in sPvP. Warriors are seen as the easiest class to play in PvE. Guardians I feel are easy to learn but far more complex than a warrior, which is nice.

But I seriously just advise trying them all. You will quickly establish which you’re enjoying the most, and that will likely lead to your first level 80. My favourite class was thief, which became my first level 80. But today, I mostly play guardian.

| Lithia |

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

WARNING: don’t read unless you have a sense of humor, cynical sarcasm is the point of this post.

The Warriors and Guardians are Anet’s favored sons, and receive all the shiny new toys, milk, cookies, and attention from Anet. They get top marks in every area of school for all their skills- much loved by everyone-that Anet has given them.

The thieves and engineers are the more independent and self reliant children of Anet. They do well in most areas of school that they care about, but not as well as Anet’s favorite sons. These independent children are notable for bullying and taunting the other, lesser member’s of Anet’s children, but that is because they’re a bit insecure about how great they are in all areas of life.

Elementalists are the distant cousins that for the longest time Anet didn’t care about, but Anet has reconnected with theses distant cousins over the past year and reverted a lot of the bad insults towards them, while giving them new toys to play around with!

Mesmers, Necromancers, and Rangers are the illegitmate, unwanted, red headed step children of Anet, that sleep in a filthy cabinet underneath the stairs. They are continually abused and beaten down and neglected by their forced “caretaker”. They may only do well in one subject at school that is they’re favorie, but fail miserably in all other subjects. Mesmers keep losing their favorite toys to Anet, and the rest of the family only bear to be around the mesmer every once in a while for 2 seconds of “utility” (ie doing the chores the other children don’t want to do). Mesmers also have a lot of bugs on them, but Anet won’t let them see a doctor to cure their bad bugs, but only kill the fun and useful bugs living inside the Mesmer! Rangers have their trusty pet they found on the street to keep them company and make them feel better, but the rest of Anet’s children are needlessly mean towards the ranger’s pet so it can’t do anything. Necromancers once recieved a great toy from Anet, but the rest of the family got jealous and convinced Anet to make the toy much less useful, similar to what Anet did to the Mesmer’s toys (theirs was too glamourous for the other children to appreciate). The rest of the family also gangs up on the Necromancer and focus fires it before it can do anything except hide in its shroud of tears.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

(edited by nearlight.3064)

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

The forums are a horrible place to find reliable information.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The only suggestion to a NEW player is NOT to use a Ranger as your method to learn the basic game combat mechanics. It’s far too easy to fall into “lazy” gameplay mechanics with a RANGER (mostly due to RANGED + PET TANK not providing the proper need to learn how to move and dodge to avoid damage).

Beyond that, all classes are valid and the answer to your question can only be found by playing the classes yourself.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

sazberryftw.3809

the easiest It sounds like. I might give the warrior a swing just to get a feel for the game in general.

Don’t PLAY WHAT YOU WANT. Rangers and thieves can be GREAT just learn to play them!

| Lithia |

Posted by: Joseph.9853

Joseph.9853

Don’t PLAY WHAT YOU WANT. Rangers and thieves can be GREAT just learn to play them!

Exactly: play what you want!

My very first character was a Necro: it didn’t take a long time to learn how it all worked, but I managed, and still use him quite frequently today. I also recently maxed out a Mesmer, and it’s fun to have one of them, let me tell ya (especially when traits starts rolling in).

Bottom line: play what interests YOU the most! You aren’t being pressure to joining whatever profession. Be like me: try them all!

Lanthun – [WISE] Wizened Wizards (Founder/Leader)

sazberryftw.3809

And you’re not stuck to one class! I play my guardian now for most of my dungeon runs, but thief was my first and favourite class!

| Lithia |