Classes

Classes

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: GreySircus.5197

GreySircus.5197

Im brand new to this game. Can someone please tell me what are the good classes right now for pvp and for wvw? please Im sure these get posted daily so any help would be great.

Thanks , and Im looking forward to being part of this community

Classes

GreySircus.5197

Can someone please help

Classes

Posted by: Reize.2176

Reize.2176

Just avoid making an Engineer,Ranger or a Necromancer. Thats all.

Classes

GreySircus.5197

Does that apply to both modes?

Classes

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

For PvE: Guardian, Mesmer or Warrior. (Ele is okay too)

For SPvP: Doesn’t really matter, you can start playing it at level 2. Find whichever you like.

For WvW: Doesn’t matter much either, zerg zerg zerg.

Classes

GreySircus.5197

Thanks for the couple of replies. Would like maybe a bit more detailed advice?

Classes

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

What’s wrong with Necromancers? ;(

Honestly, PvE doesn’t really need specific classes unless you’re doing high level fractals, the traditionally weak sPvP classes have some very good niche roles in WvWvW, and you don’t need to invest any time into sPvP levelling on one character so you can play around to your heart’s content there and the MMO buff/nerf cycle is an MMO buff/nerf cycle so the best policy there is to be flexible.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)

Classes

GreySircus.5197

Anyone else????

Classes

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I love my ranger and my necromancer, but…
the best advice is to make a character with the profession YOU find appealing, and try it out for a few levels…open up all the weapon skills.
Then, try another. Many of us thought we would like one profession, and ended up really liking another much, much more.

Everyone will have a different opinion, you should decide for you.

Welcome to the game.

Classes

Posted by: kisangyal.1796

kisangyal.1796

My main is a guardian. It is really a good class for PvX. You can learn the game mechanics without dyeing too many times. Guards are really a survival class. Plus, balance-wise Guardian is in a much better place then some other classes. Beware! If you want a ranged class, guardian is not for you

I started with Ele (thru’ Beta and offical launch). Yeah, that was fun. But Ele is really hard to learn. Later I started a Ranger too and I can say I enjoy it all the way up to lvl 80. I did some PvP and WvW also with my Ranger. I did not find it too bad.

But I think the best is to try all classes and pick your fav.

Classes

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Professions have advantages and disadvantages. In PVe, rangers, necros and engies sometimes have trouble finding groups for dungeons, more than the other professions.

And while there are roles for all professions in WvW and SPvP, I’d probably say ranger is more kitten than other professions (though not as severely as in PVe).

For WvW and SPvP, it would depend on your play style. I’m not a stealth guy, so thieves would be a pretty bad choice for me.

Eles are pretty popular right now, guardians have always been popular, warriors too. Oh and mesmers. Everyone hates mesmers in PvP, which means they’re probably also a good choice.

Classes

GreySircus.5197

Great. Thank you guys. Liking the community already. I know the standard answer is to play what I like and I will. But I also enjoy playing games on more of the competitive side. SO Id like to know currently what are the more viable Professions. Dont really need to know for pve but more for pvp wvw . Thank everyone who replied and will reply.

=]

Classes

GreySircus.5197

Please help with the question

Classes

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

In Spvp, because of the way it works in this game, just buy 3 extra character slots, make 1 of each proffession, and you can play w/e is meta at the current time with full build/bis gear. in WvW, due to its large size, its more down to who can communicate and coordinate better.

Classes

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

I’d say go for Mesmer, strong and in demand for all game types (pvp & pve) due to their unique utilities and class mechanics. A very strong all-rounder.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Classes

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

You forgot thief.

Classes to avoid

Engineer
Ranger
Thief

necro is abit of a gamble they have their ups and downs.

Classes Anet loves.
Warrior, especially warrior.
Mesmer
Elementalist.

Classes

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

Try them all, play the one that you enjoy the most.
That is all.

Classes

Posted by: Irena.1062

Irena.1062

Well actually, the only class to avoid is Ranger as all other classes can do portions of what Rangers do only better than Ranger. Needless to say I strongly think this profession needs to be buffed so that it can be balanced as it will be hard to do anything other than solo pve with this class. Yes, you can still do things as a Ranger but everybody else will do things better than you.

Classes

Posted by: Irena.1062

Irena.1062

Theif/Necromancer can do well if the person playing them knows what they are doing and can be same as other professions, even if they are not the most popular. Engineers can do very well with a dedicated player as well although they take a little more work to get where other professions are. The only profession which truly is not going to be able to beat others no matter how hard they try is Ranger, as they just don’t have the tools to do well as they rely on pets to take damage for them which doesn’t work well in any kind of pvp and they are also legendarily bad in dungeons as well as they don’t offer any kind of good teamwork skills. Quite literally Ranger is the worst profession possible.

Classes

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

Theif/Necromancer can do well if the person playing them knows what they are doing and can be same as other professions, even if they are not the most popular. Engineers can do very well with a dedicated player as well although they take a little more work to get where other professions are. The only profession which truly is not going to be able to beat others no matter how hard they try is Ranger, as they just don’t have the tools to do well as they rely on pets to take damage for them which doesn’t work well in any kind of pvp and they are also legendarily bad in dungeons as well as they don’t offer any kind of good teamwork skills. Quite literally Ranger is the worst profession possible.

As someone who plays Ranger as well as the ‘godly’ classes I can say that there is a lot of exaggeration going on here. Ranger currently has issues with pet AI requiring improvement, and as pets constitute half of their dps this can hurt a lot at times. They also need improvement to their traitlines and utils, especially spirits.

What Rangers do have is: great combat mobility, the only permanent pet in the game that can dish out some impressive dps (if you can keep it alive, which means some serious microing atm), the ability through pets to offer a huge range of buffs/conditions both single target and AoE, decent AoE healing and cleansing abilities for support and some fantastic skirmishing weapons through the shortbow/sword/gs which help it perform well in 1v1 pvp situations.

You will have no issue with dungeons if you are in any way a half decent player although it wont be as face-roll easy as other classes due to keeping your pet alive being a bit of an art in itself at the moment. The Devs have had a recent discussion with the Ranger community and already started addressing this with some gradual changes (increased ability to hit moving targets, pets share agony resistance).

All in all it’s a more challenging class than it should be right now, but if you like a challenge you can succceed. I know from personal experience you will kill plenty of people in wvw/spvp and will manage all of the dungeon content, you just have to work a bit harder for it at times. People forget this is much more a game of skill anyway. A good Ranger player will still be better than a rubbish Mesmer player.

It’s sort of a running theme for people to hate on Rangers atm, but if its a class type you enjoy and you’re good at pet micro then give it a shot.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Classes

GreySircus.5197

so what im getting avoid ranger thief and engineer ,

and the good classes are mesmer gaurdian warrior and ele correct?

Classes

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

I wrote a profession selection guide for you. It also has a 3-star rating for the abilities and which profession is suitable for beginners.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Profession-Selection-Guide/first

The main emphasis of my guide is WvWvW and pve, because pvp is pretty much dead. Any profession can work in WvWvW or pve, but for example engineer is the most difficult to master, so I wouldn’t recommend it as the 1st choice. Warrior is great in pve and good in big WvWvW groups, but really vulnerable in pvp.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

Classes

GreySircus.5197

really helpful thanks. Whats the current meta?

Classes

GreySircus.5197

would like additional input please!

Classes

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

If you are New to the game. I highly recommend you watch this Video to learn how GW2’s Combat system and mechanics functions:

Next I recommend you watch this video to get an idea of how ALL 8 Professions play in Combat. You may use this as a (Guide) in choosing what style you are into:

Once you finish those 2 videos and you are intrested in how Combat/Armor/Traits system functions in better details, check out my Written (Guide) for more information to get more in depth.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/GW2-Combat-system-101-Guide/first

I hope all these help ya out! ^-^ And Good luck!

Classes

GreySircus.5197

Thanks for the videos! They really helped a lot!.

What is the current meta for this game?

Classes

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Current meta?
Sorry I don’t quite understand what you mean by that.
Can you elaborate?

Classes

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

For open-world PvE: Any class works as long as you know how to play them. Elementalist will have a harder time early on.

For dungeons: 4 warriors and 1 mesmer, that’s the most common and wanted team for most dungeons, guardian is great for finding teams too. Rangers are somewhat hated for their pets die too fast even with amazing micro-managing skills.

For PvP: Majority are bunkers regardless of class, trap rangers who counter the bunkers, and mesmers for utilities.

For WvW solo: Thief and elementalist being the best, others are okay.

For WvW zerg: Doesn’t matter really. Whichever zerg has the better coordination and number wins.

Classes

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I have all 3…and do fine on all of them.

Actually I have all the classes and none of them are intrinsically bad.

Choose the class you think you might enjoy playing, OP. Or just play all of them and decide for yourself.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Classes

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

As a general FYI, the metagame scene has recently messed with and it’s still in the process of adjustent. Basically ArenaNet nerfed their buff that lets people attack faster and strengthened the debuff that prevents stealth players from re-stealthing by +1 second. Due to these changes, chain stealth builds are readjusting and people can’t rely on super speed attack spamming. This is going to make certain classes who relied on those techniques (aka Thief and Warrior) feel pretty wonky and every other class is still dealing with at least a partial back wash.

My only point is that any metagame guides that were written before last week’s mega patch will probably be at least a little out dated. If you keep that in mind, then it shouldn’t be a big deal.

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

Classes

GreySircus.5197

Its so hard everyone has a different opinion =/ guess there is no real answer.

Classes

GreySircus.5197

For open-world PvE: Any class works as long as you know how to play them. Elementalist will have a harder time early on.

For dungeons: 4 warriors and 1 mesmer, that’s the most common and wanted team for most dungeons, guardian is great for finding teams too. Rangers are somewhat hated for their pets die too fast even with amazing micro-managing skills.

For PvP: Majority are bunkers regardless of class, trap rangers who counter the bunkers, and mesmers for utilities.

For WvW solo: Thief and elementalist being the best, others are okay.

For WvW zerg: Doesn’t matter really. Whichever zerg has the better coordination and number wins.

what are bunkers

Classes

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Current meta?
Sorry I don’t quite understand what you mean by that.
Can you elaborate?

“Meta” is a term heavily used in Guild Wars 1, relating to http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Metagame

User was infracted for being awesome.

Classes

GreySircus.5197

More replies!!!!!!

Classes

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

what are bunkers

Basically tanky dps, or “bruisers,” focusing on toughness or vitality for the tankiness, while having a bit of power or condition damage to deal some sustained damage.

Classes

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Its so hard everyone has a different opinion =/ guess there is no real answer.

You really hit the head of the nail there there, there really is no answer, ppl can say what they want all classes are relatively good balanced between eachother (not perfectly sure, as that would be an impossibility in a game of such huge scale as GW2, but enough that a good player no matter the class will be able to outplay and win against a bad player), so as some others say pick that class that you like the playstyle of the most. Now if you need help with that maybe explain what kind of style you like to play

Classes

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I find it best to find a playstyle that suits you, then looking at different classes and see which offers the best options for you. It doesn’t matter if you’re very efficient in your runs, if you don’t enjoy playing them, it’s gonna be all for nothing.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Classes

Posted by: Yramrag.3026

Yramrag.3026

Almost every class is viable in PvE. Almost every class is viable in WvW (because, zerg wins). Viability of class in PvP really depends on build and (more importantly) how well the player handles their class. If a player like a certain style of play, he will certainly enjoy the class more, and hence, play more effectively (most of the time, anyway). If he doesnt enjoy the playing style, then even if the class is so-called “easy mode”, the player will have a hard time.

So. Try out EVERY class, see what you like.

Classes

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

All classes are good in pvp, the only issue is that some classes have very few builds that work.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com