Cloth class profession with least AOE?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I am about to bite the bullet and make a cloth class chara. I am nervous about it since I like my high HP bullet-suckers.

My other problem is, I tend to have coordination issues, so I hate AOE skills. I can’t aim or steer them all that effectively.

So which cloth class profession has most direct attack/none AOE abilities?

TIA for any replies.

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

Without a doubt the one cloth class with the least amount of AOE is mesmer.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

If you play an Elementalist with a dagger in each hand, you will not have any AOE skills to speak of (unless you pick AOE skills for the rest of your bar).

I play one, and I love how well it does, unless I’m up against a Champion, and then it just sucks because there’s no kind of ranged attack. Being squishy and standing in front of an angry Champion is not the way to success, I can promise you that.

Aside from that one issue, it’s fun to play and you don’t have to aim anything.

Posted by: Lexy.3912

Lexy.3912

I have a mesmer and an ele and although you can avoid AOE on an ele it easier to do with a mesmer and gives you more weapon choice – haven’t tried a necro so can’t advise there.

My GW2 Project 365 – building a picture of a year in Tyria
The #GW2Project365 on Twitter
Proudly representing The Legion of Honour [XIII] on Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Monztor.9207

Monztor.9207

I’d have to say mesmer. I main my mesmer and I’m constantly frustrated at how I can’t AoE the top of walls at all. Only way to do it is by Staff #5, GS #3, or by using Feedback. That being said, I love what I can do to an isolated target

Posted by: LithePanther.5027

LithePanther.5027

Mesmer absolutely has the least AoE of all the cloth classes.

Eles and Necros don’t have to AoE but their AoE is very effective, unlike a Mesmer’s which is very limited.

80 Guardian. 80 Warrior. 80 Thief. 80 Engineer. 80 Necromancer. 80 Ranger.

GuzziHero.2467

Thank you all for the advice! I went mesmer.

Not sure how I like how it plays at the moment (I am more a hack, slash, burn kinda person!), but I’ll give it a try.

Posted by: Salgari.3076

Salgari.3076

See you’ve already gone with mesmer but I’d recommend trying both. If you do make an elemental go with two daggers like Prophetsword mentioned because the only AoE’s are point blank (from what I can recall, not counting utilities). Since you said you’re more of a hack, slash and burn type of person, the elemental burns stuff nicely (but no hack/slash).

Level 80 Thief, Isle of Janthir
+numerous alts of varying levels

Posted by: Aervius.2016

Aervius.2016

Not sure how I like how it plays at the moment (I am more a hack, slash, burn kinda person!), but I’ll give it a try.

Try out Sword/Pistol + Greatsword for ranged (not to mention Phantasmal DeathRagerFromHell). Blurred Frenzy + Illusionary Unload = Corpses of your enemies will be bite-sized chunks and riddled with bullets. Imaginary bullets. That are real.

You get the picture.

Kolt – Human Thief
[NEX]
#swaguuma

Posted by: nbikz.2708

nbikz.2708

If you play an Elementalist with a dagger in each hand, you will not have any AOE skills to speak of (unless you pick AOE skills for the rest of your bar).

What? D/D has like 14 skills that are at least somewhat AoE.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

If you like high HP bullet suckers, go for a necro
While I play mine AoE heavy, I think you can do with minimum AoE quite easily…

Polka will never die

LithePanther.5027

I wouldn’t recommend the Necro for an anti-AoE guy. Their best utilities and weapons (imo) all have a lot of AoE on them. (Staff, Scepter, Dagger OH, Wells). The dagger and axe are ok but not nearly as effective as other stuff.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Did somebody really say Dagger Ele? I love my dagger Ele, but most of it’s abilities are still AoE, they are just smaller point-blank AoEs instead of big ranged ones like the staff.

In reality it is the Mesmer, in fact if you don’t use the shatter skills you pretty much have one on the staff and that’s it.

Posted by: TheAgedGnome.7520

TheAgedGnome.7520

If you like high HP bullet suckers, go for a necro
While I play mine AoE heavy, I think you can do with minimum AoE quite easily…

Agreed. Necros are a high HP class. You can get 24-28k health without too much effort.

If you create a power-based build, with dagger MH, axe MH, and focus OH or warhorn OH, and Death Shroud you will primarily be using single-target skills. You can also use wells without ground targeting, so it just drops the well centered on your location.

Stealth nerfs are the perfect fertilizer for mistrust.
PVE Power and Support Build

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

I think what the OP was concerned about were ground-target AoEs, not AoEs in general. In that regard, a D/D Elementalist is perfect.

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

GuzziHero.2467

… this just makes me want to scrap this mesmer and go ele after all…

Goldang it, its a done deal. Its the only cloth class I really like the concept of after all!

Posted by: Nicolatte.5360

Nicolatte.5360

Definitely Mesmer so likely you made the right choice. If you use a 2-handed staff as Mesmer you get a debuff/boon (depending if you use on monsters or players which it does) that is AoE called Chaos Storm; and Blurred Frenzy, a 1-handed sword skill is AoE, but it is close range and doesn’t require “targeting” at all. Plus, if you abuse the #3 skill, “Swap” you can immediately use Blurred Frenzy afterwards so there’s no chance your area won’t be effective, and hey… you’re immune from damage for a few seconds WHILE skill is in effect—how cool is that? So unless you went like close-melee Necro you really can’t escape AoEs much with that class.

I really don’t agree that D/D Elementalist is lacking AoEs… that’s actually kind of a wild idea in my humble opinion. And D/D is a higher risk Elementalist by most standards anyways, stuff like dungeons and oftentimes pvp can be pretty tough as a D/D Elementalist—so if you want to experience the game fully as a cloth-wearer you’d have a harder time with that set-up. If you want a cloth-wearer who isn’t AoE heavy I feel Elementalist is the worst candidate. And I say this not because I dislike the class, I love them both (if my signature didn’t make that obvious).

Nicolatte – Ranger, Nicolyte – Elementalist
Henge of Denravi since day 1

LithePanther.5027

Whoooo day 1 HoD represent! xD