Could someone help with a Lore-friendly name?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Terin.2657

Terin.2657

So, I’m just now installing GW2 on a new PC after a pretty long break, and for some reason, I’m really into the idea of playing a Charr, specifically. I’m kinda leaning towards Engineer, but not totally sure on that part.

Anyways, I’m terrible when it comes to making up names, but I’d really like something that sounds “Lore-friendly”. That is, something that sounds like it could be an actual character’s name, but isn’t. I don’t role-play or anything, but I just like the thought of having a character who just really “fits” into the world, ya know?

Also; what do you think about the Engineer? Does it actually fit the Charr, or not so much? And, without spoiling anything, any preferences on the character-creation choices?

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

As for GW1 experience with Charrs. Mainly from the first few levels of the game / and missions. I would say a Charr is either a Warrior, Elementalist or a ranger.

As for a name; I dunno. Try looking through both GW 1 and GW 2 WIKI for charr NPC’s /enemies and see what they are named. Can give you some inspiration.

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

As for GW1 experience with Charrs. Mainly from the first few levels of the game / and missions. I would say a Charr is either a Warrior, Elementalist or a ranger.

As for a name; I dunno. Try looking through both GW 1 and GW 2 WIKI for charr NPC’s /enemies and see what they are named. Can give you some inspiration.

Charr engineers makes perfect sense, lorewise. Alot has happened in the few centuries since GW1, specifically the industrial revolution that the Charr have undergone. According to Lead Game Designer, Eric Flannum:

“Engineer technology really developed with the Charr first and foremost. And its [sic] one of the specialties developed by the Charr Iron Legion. When we talk about the Engineer he is very much a Combat-Engineer and good in inventing things that are useful in a combat situation. The Iron Legion is the start of all of this, and the Engineer profession has spread to the other races from there. […] And so you are going to see Engineers of all races although it is a little bit more common to see a Charr Engineer than anybody else. So it all started with the Charr and their technological development”

As for names, this is what the wiki says:

“male names are sharp sounding with the consonants (e.g., using D, R, T, G, K, etc. used in names like Rytlock, Gron, Dinky) whereas female names are smoother (e.g., using C, L, S, Z, etc. such as names like Bathea, Kalla, Elexus); both genders often start with a sharp consonant though, but this is just generally and exceptions to this do exist. Some charr use Roman or Greek (inspired) names as well.

Charr surnames consist of two words put together, one of which (either suffix or prefix) denoting the warband of the individual (e.g., Rytlock Brimstone is of the Stone warband and Scylla Rustcloud of the Rust warband). Charr individuals generally get to pick variations of their surnames within the forming of their first warband which express their personality, ideals or history, though some limitations may apply.

Members of the same warband can also have their warband name in different order than other members of their warband, though this is rare – some examples include Lightbringer Swordshatter and Legionnaire Bloodsword of the Sword warband, and Vitus Silverpick of the Pick warband (where all other warband members have Pick as the prefix of their surnames). "

Hope this helps, Terin, and welcome to the Legions.

(edited by sinzer.4018)

Posted by: Dresden.1736

Dresden.1736

Make it female and call her “Annette Nerfbatter”.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Engineer would be very fitting for the charr

As for names some from their history were
Bonfazz Burntfur
Pyre Fierceshot
Seer Fiercereign
Cowl Fiercetongue
Roan Fierceheart
Bonwor Fierceblade
Gron Fierceclaw
Swift Fiercejustice

Some Charr boss names from GW 1
Drub Gorefang
Blaze Bloodbane
Elmohr Snowmender
Rrrack Whitefire
Scaar Sternclaw
Smoke Kindlefist
Tyndir Flamecaller

Posted by: Chaialyna.1023

Chaialyna.1023

If you’re looking for inspiration, here’s a name generator site that works pretty well.

Alts-R-Us ~ All professions at 80 ~ Still leveling characters.
Main? What “main”? I play all of them sooner or later.

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

GW1 Charr are mostly the now outcasted Flame Legion, should remember that. Playable Charr are from Blood, Iron and Ash, and hate Flame Legion. Just putting it out there for people reffering to GW1.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

First of all, choosing your class.

There’s no “right” or “wrong” profession for any race.

• Charr warrior: obvious. (Most likely legion: Blood Legion.)
  • Charr guardian: some people think that this combination doesn’t make any sense, since modern Charr (Flame Ledion aside) are pretty much done with religion. ANet have stated though that guardians “run” on their faith, and that this does not have to equal faith in a god/gods; it can also be faith in your warband. (Most likely legion: any.)
  • Charr elementalist: they still exist outside of the Flame Legion. Magic is useful. Charr utilize it. In NPCs, these are rarer. (Most likely legion: Blood or Ash.)
  • Charr engineers: since Charr are so much into their cogs and sprockets, one of the more mainstream choices. (Most likely legion: Iron Legion.)
  • Charr thief: I’ve seen a few, and don’t see it clash with anything. The entire ash legion is devoted to sneaky intel. (Most likely legion: Ash Legion.)
  • Charr ranger: Rox, one of the most prominent Charr NPCs, is a ranger. Charr are depicted training pets like devourers. (Most likely legion: any.)
  • The two classes that I’m not seeing amongst Charr that often are probably necromancer (which strikes me as weird as they’ve lived with and fought against Ascalonian ghosts for so long now; I think it would be logical for some Charr to explore this further) and mesmer (even though that would fit in well with an Ash Legion background).

So if you would like to play an engineer, go right ahead, but if you find out that another class is more fun to play for you at this point, that choice will be totally valid, too.

As for the names, yes, last names are commonly compounds of a word that a Charr picks for their personality and a word that they have in common with the rest of their warband.

However, if you play through your personal story, you will soon see why that really isn’t as relevant as you might think right now. Some Charr go by a nickname only (this includes NPCs: “Ajax”, “Thraex the Vicious”).

Examples for names:

• My Charr elementalist is called Zeera Cinderwind (formerly of Warband Cinder)
  • Boyfriend’s Charr ranger is called Maru Boxhide (he is a fan of Maru the cat; not sure he had a specific warband in mind).

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I had the name for my charr, Ferrum Blacktide, 3 years prior to launch when I wrote a guide to naming your characters according to lore on GW2G (Im unable to find the direct link, unfortunately) so here is the basis:
First name:

• Charr first names are often derived from the ruling legion at the time of birth. Pyre Fierceshot was born during the flame legion’s rule 230 years prior to GW2. Ferrum Blacktide was born while the Iron Legion was (and still is) the predominant legion “Ferrum” is Latin for iron. On rare occasions Gladium will name their offspring according to their own legion, since they are outcast from the “ruling” legion. Keep in mind that all Charr names according to lore should be derived from Latin as it’s the unsaid rule when ArenaNet names NPCs.

Last Name (first half):

• The first part of the last name is derived from the cub’s Warband. A charr named Sylvan Mystblade would be of the Myst Warband. Ferrum Blacktide of Warband Black, and Pyre Fierceshot from Fierce Warband. It’s pretty obvious where you go with this part.

Last Name (last half):

• The second half of the last name takes a bit of finess to come up with. What my research prior to launch concluded is that this part of the name is a Renown Title, or something that your lineage is known for. You have to get into a roleplay mentality for it, but if your charr’s sire or sire’s lineage was known for turning the tide of battle, their renown name would be “tide”. Pyre Fierceshot’s sire and lineage were most probably rangers. I think you get the idea.
    • Note that lineage is always passed down through the sire, just like last names are passed down by the male in real life, except there is no choice to not take it in charr culture.

Hope I helped!

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Keep in mind that all Charr names according to lore should be derived from Latin as it’s the unsaid rule when ArenaNet names NPCs.

There are plenty of Charr NPCs whose first names are not Latin based. (Dinky, for one.) (I literally just looked at a list of Charr NPCs.)

As for the last name, the first OR the second part can reference the warband. A Sylvan Mystblade could just as well be part of Blade warband.

Posted by: sbr.8170

sbr.8170

If you’re looking for inspiration, here’s a name generator site that works pretty well.

I used this for most of my characters, works pretty well.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

GW1 Charr are mostly the now outcasted Flame Legion, should remember that. Playable Charr are from Blood, Iron and Ash, and hate Flame Legion. Just putting it out there for people reffering to GW1.

Actually charr in GW1 were from all 4 legions, but the other 3 were subjugated by the Flame Legion at the time.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

http://dragonwatch.net/charrname/ I really like this name generator for charrs. It really helped me find a fitting name rather quickly actually. If anything may give you a first and last name that you like.

Of course there are plenty of other good name generators out there too. :P

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

In addition to the Warband surnames, Charr with descriptor surnames aren’t uncommon. The Iron Legion Imperator and Black Citadel Head Honcho goes by “Smodur the Unflinching”, for example.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Terin.2657

Terin.2657

Hey, thanks for the responses, everyone! I’m still not sure what I’m gonna name him, though. I really like the idea of a Greco-Roman style of name, so long as it fits. Only thing, though; I’m not normally a big fan of surnames. It doesn’t necessarily need to be a “perfect” name, so much as someone that fits.

For example, on WoW, I named my orc “Drashuga”. It sounded very Orc-ish, without being an actual name used anywhere else. In fact, I reused the name on my Norn Warrior, although I’ve wondered whether that was a mistake, lol (don’t know what Norn names should “sound” like, either).

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Well because a charr’s surname is tied to their warband you could always make your charr a gladium (charr without a warband) and then they wouldn’t have a surname.

You do start the personal story with a warband, but it shouldn’t be an issue.

Also norn names are normally based on Norse or Scandinavian names. Or something to do with the natural world, plants and animals and things.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”