Customized Programmable Wired Controller

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Kantharr.2308

Kantharr.2308

My girlfriend wants to play Guild Wars 2 with me but the only thing that is keeping her from playing is the keyboard & mouse. She will not even touch the mouse with the buttons on the side! This is because she had always been a console gamer, and she is unable to play with the keyboard and mouse. She finds it awkward to press the function keys and number keys to use skills while pressing w/a/s/d or arrow keys to move WHILE using the mouse to look around (don’t forget the barrel roll :P). In short, she refuses to play unless she can use a controller.

I know there are layouts for 360 controllers that are already made for the game, but I was wondering if there are any sites that would let me have a customized programmable wired controller? The reason why I said wired is because I would like to add a lot of buttons under the controller and i wouldn’t want the battery section get in the way of that.

If it helps she wants to play as a Guardian so you know how many button commands that already has.

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Have you thought about a gaming keypad?

Kantharr.2308

I seen them before, and it’s going to be hard to convince her to use it. I may have to find someone that has 1 so she could try it. If possible I would want her to use a controller so that she can still play the game in her comfortable console gamer environment.

(edited by Kantharr.2308)

Sagramor.7395

There are plenty of threads and guides out there on how to setup an xbox controller for GW2, but I don’t have one. I did buy a logitech F310 a while back for a few other games I might try messing around with. Without having tried it I can see ground targeting and targeting in general being an issue.

Kantharr.2308

I have seen the guides for xbox controllers but it is not related to my question. Just imagine holding the xbox controller like you normally would. Under your middle, ring, and pinky finger there would be buttons that are programmable. I meant those kind of controllers. For the ground targeting I would just have the option turned on for target where the mouse points and have her keep her mouse pointer in the middle of the screen. Targeting in general would be just like using the tab key. Keep tabbing till you have your target :P.

Sagramor.7395

I haven’t seen any controllers lately that aren’t the Xbox style. Would you happen to have a link for one?

I’ll say this though, everyone’s first PC MMORPG that utilizes a mouse and kb is a learning experience regardless if they came from a console gaming background or have never played a single video game in their life. And she doesn’t have to go anywhere near “one of those mice with the buttons on the side”. Just let her play at her own speed with a plain old mouse and kb starting with the default control scheme. As she’s playing she can change keybinds as she sees fit. Bending over backwards to try and get mouse and kb games playable with a controller just seems like more trouble than it’s worth.

Kantharr.2308

She is very stubborn and she tried playing already lol. Her biggest complaint about the keyboard/mouse was that “there are too many buttons to remember.” Even though I don’t see what difference it would make with controllers but she is just more comfortable with a controller. I will see if she would want to try the gaming keypad or retry the keyboard/mouse.

Btw, here is a link of a website that I looked at: https://thecontrollershop.com

The picture at the very bottom shows what I’m talking about, but it looks like they can only add at most 4 buttons.

So I’m pretty much trying to please the woman and her needs :P.

(edited by Kantharr.2308)

Sagramor.7395

If the complaint is that there are too many buttons to remember it’s going to be the same on a controller, and likely worse because there’s a good chance you’ll need to have a modifier set to cover all of the keybinds.

How long did she try playing before giving up?

Kantharr.2308

About a week. This was also before they updated the game to make it easier to get weapon skills.

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

My girlfriend wants to play Guild Wars 2 with me but the only thing that is keeping her from playing is the keyboard & mouse. She will not even touch the mouse with the buttons on the side! This is because she had always been a console gamer, and she is unable to play with the keyboard and mouse. She finds it awkward to press the function keys and number keys to use skills while pressing w/a/s/d or arrow keys to move WHILE using the mouse to look around (don’t forget the barrel roll :P). In short, she refuses to play unless she can use a controller.

I know there are layouts for 360 controllers that are already made for the game, but I was wondering if there are any sites that would let me have a customized programmable wired controller? The reason why I said wired is because I would like to add a lot of buttons under the controller and i wouldn’t want the battery section get in the way of that.

If it helps she wants to play as a Guardian so you know how many button commands that already has.

I’ve been playing GW2 with a xbox 360 controller since launch. I’m at work and can’t give you the setups for it but here are the two programs you can use to make it work. Xpadder or pinnaclegameprofiler.com. Pinnacle works really good but you’ll have to pay for it it’s just $20 I think. Good luck.

vvuevv

Posted by: Jabronius.8674

Jabronius.8674

Here is a thread with links on setting up an Xbox 360 controller via Xpadder. I’ve been using this configuration for a long time, and I believe it works well. Good luck!

Kantharr.2308

I love using Xpadder. I guess the only free option is to setup a xbox 360 controller. Looks like I got myself a project this weekend since the weather is preventing me to see my gf. Thanks guys!