Does anyone use a gaming mouse?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Kuubaaa.3165

Kuubaaa.3165

I use a razer lachesis, and its more then enough for me. the naga is just to big for me and 6 extra buttons is more then enough ^^

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I have a fairly basic one – G400 which has 5 extra buttons (on top of the standard 3).

I didn’t want one with tons of buttons because I only wanted to shift a few common commands to the mouse so I can either play one-handed briefly (usually because I’m eating something) or so I can keep my other hand on the attack keys.

My actual set-up is a constant work in progress, I keep shifting things around as I change my mind on what I use but luckily the software is really easy to use and I don’t even have to close the game to make changes so that’s not a problem.

I was always skeptical of gaming mice but haven’t tried them I don’t think I’d go back.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

I’m using a Zowie EC1 eVo. It’s not one of the MMORPG mice, but I like it. I chose the EC1 because it’s got a neat coating and the shape is close to the IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0.

My personal opinion on gaming mice is that a lot of them are marketed with useless gimmicks. Things like LED lights, tons of DPI, profiles and macros. My personal experience is as follows

• LED lights can be used to make your setup nice and unified in terms of colour. But that’s not what the setup is there for. It’s like buying a car because it looks nice rather than because it’s a superior car.
  • Tons of DPI is only going to be useful if you use a large screen. I personally found that the 450 dpi on my old mouse wasn’t enough to play comfortably on my 1920×1080 monitor. But I’ve never found any need for more than around 1000 dpi. But of course, this depends a lot on personal preference and the types of games you play.
  • In the past, I used a SideWinder X8 for over a year and I never used the macro recording functionality on it. Ditto for my keyboard, which I have been using for a bit over two years now.

I’m not going to say that all the functionality that a “gaming” mouse offers is useless. I’m just saying that a lot of it is useless. When I’m buying a new mouse, I always put comfort first. I don’t go for mice that have a shape that I have not used before. After that, I check for some of the functionality that I personally require: a dpi switch for the game that don’t have sensitivity adjusting, two side buttons for internet browsing and preferably two DPI settings close to 400 and 1000.

But I can definitely see why people would prefer having Razer Naga or the G600 for GW2, as you need to move around a lot and there’s quite a few abilities to use.

(edited by Olba.5376)

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

5. Being pretty is irrelevant for something that’s primarily a pointing device. While a Ferrari is red (and only red), it’s primary function is to drive fast.

Huh? From Ferrari.com:

How to choose a new Ferrari

Ferrari’s customisation programme allows Clients to completely personalise their cars, right down to the stitching on the leather interior and the colour of the brake callipers. Ferrari has also set up a dedicated space at its Maranello factory, which is effectively an haute couture Atelier in which Clients can consult with Ferrariā€™s team of experts on creating a truly bespoke car.

Features affecting the car’s performance and safety cannot be modified, neither can the fundamental design of the car, but Clients can make changes to all other areas of their new Ferrari. The main areas covered by the customisation programme are:

Exterior and colours
Clients can choose from a wide range of bodywork colours, double- or triple-coat paintwork, and carbon-fibre inserts for the car’s side panels and door handles. They can also select the design and colour of the wheel rims.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Kozai.8269

Kozai.8269

I got a cheap gaming mouse (guessing under $30?) thrown in with the new computer I bought recently, and found even the two buttons on that to be handy for Attack 1 (Grenadier Engineer, I have to spam that a lot while moving) and Dodge. My survivability while kiting and shooting is considerably better, now I just need to practice enough to move and melee simultaneously on a Guardian. . .

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

OP you should look into the MadCatz R.A.T 7 MMO.

Its pritty much the most customizable mouse out. It doesnt have the number buttons for the thunb set out like a calculator like most, which imo is a good thing, its main perks are its physical size adjustments. U can made the mouse physicaly longer, adjust the thumb area out or in, can even have a small pinky rest attached to the side.

Ill be getitng one myself soon to replace my old Logitech g5 which is on its last legs.

However the RAT 7 MMO is rather pricey ..ull see what i mean when u look at it :P

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

Logitech G600
it is awesome
all others will bow before it eventually

Considering the G600 is basically Logitech stealing Razer’s design, I’d much rather use the original than the clone. By using a G600 you actually bowed before Razer, not Logitech.

Except the clone is so much superior than the original.

1. The mouse allows for other grip style instead of a claw grip.

2. The buttons are shaped differently so the learning cycle is so much faster. There’s zero need to put learning stickers on the buttons because the feel of it tells you what button is.

3. The mouse wheel has left and right tilt

4. There’s a ring finger button that can be used as a modifier key. If you map it as ctrl and push the face 1 button, it becomes ctrl + 1. There’s also a separate mode button that’ll change the mouse to 3 different new set of macros. That’s easily 5 to 6 times the number of mapping you can do vs the naga.

5. Multi color profile on the mouse is standard

6. It’s better built the thumb button paint does not rub off after 6 months. There’s no double click issue like the naga.

7. Doesn’t require a logon razer profile to use it.

All your points are invalid for following reasons:…

That list is pretty much a complete list of why I have switched over to the Logitech G600. The only change I would make the the list is I don’t have problems with the grip on the Naga. Just because your opinion and experience is different doesn’t make someone else’s opinion invalid.

Both my husband and I had Nagas, and he ended up with the wireless version after his got bounce in the left click button. We’ve had issues with all three mice, and the Razer software is crap. It insists that it must connect to the Internet and track what games you have installed/are playing so their marketing department can figure out which gaming company to hit up next for a custom mouse. Getting that junk off of my computer has made a significant improvement in my overall system performance. I’m not exactly a fan of the Logitech software either, but at least it is less intrusive.

I only ever used the first 4 button on the side of my Naga because it was too difficult to accurately press any of the others – the buttons are too small and aren’t shaped like the Logitech’s so that you know where your thumb is without having to look. I’m sure other folks can handle the naga just fine, but it’s still a really bad design from a human factors perspective.

The colored lights aren’t just pretty, they tell you at a glance what profile is active.

Not only is the Logitech less expensive and higher quality, it has more features. It’s a no-brainer. The only thing the Razer has going for it in my opinion is slicker marketing.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: Kendra Nightwind.8734

Kendra Nightwind.8734

I was thinking about getting one but not sure. Do most people use them? Is it worth it so i can just bind my keystrokes to the mouse?

And i think this is the right topic

In my experience, most people do not use a gaming mouse. Who does? People that use gaming mice are at least quasi-serious about their gaming and demand a higher level of performance from their mice. I have used two different versions of the Razer DeathAdder, my wife is loving her SteelSeries GW2 mouse. But remember that these mice are designed and built for performance not durability.
The Razer DeathAdder mouse has a habit of losing their left clicking ability. From what I have found the SteelSeries does not have the issue. Gaming mice are designed for performance first, durability is something that is not really a focus, there are exceptions of course. How long a mouse will last you is determined by how you use the mouse. For me a DeathAdder last about four years, for my wife about seven years.
A word of warning, if you buy a high resolution gaming mouse, you will need to relearn how to use it. I advise using your new mouse at the highest setting and adapt to it. Remember if you have to move your hand more than an inch you resolution is not high enough. I have the setting on my mouse so high that I can move the cursor across both screens with less than half an inch of finger movement, no hand movement at all.
I hope this helps.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I was thinking about getting one but not sure. Do most people use them? Is it worth it so i can just bind my keystrokes to the mouse?

And i think this is the right topic

In my experience, most people do not use a gaming mouse. Who does? People that use gaming mice are at least quasi-serious about their gaming and demand a higher level of performance from their mice. I have used two different versions of the Razer DeathAdder, my wife is loving her SteelSeries GW2 mouse. But remember that these mice are designed and built for performance not durability.
The Razer DeathAdder mouse has a habit of losing their left clicking ability. From what I have found the SteelSeries does not have the issue. Gaming mice are designed for performance first, durability is something that is not really a focus, there are exceptions of course. How long a mouse will last you is determined by how you use the mouse. For me a DeathAdder last about four years, for my wife about seven years.
A word of warning, if you buy a high resolution gaming mouse, you will need to relearn how to use it. I advise using your new mouse at the highest setting and adapt to it. Remember if you have to move your hand more than an inch you resolution is not high enough. I have the setting on my mouse so high that I can move the cursor across both screens with less than half an inch of finger movement, no hand movement at all.
I hope this helps.

2 things:

1) You can get gaming mice with good build quality. Just, in my experience, not from Razer. Like any product it varies a lot between companies, some are excellent, some are terrible, a lot fall somewhere in between.

I haven’t had mine for long enough to really judge but I’ve heard good things about Logitech’s durability (and had good experience with their other products) which is part of why I went with them after being unimpressed with my Razer Diamondback.

2) The highest resolution is not always best. It depends on what you’re doing. A lot of FPS players for example like to turn it down so they can get more accuracy when aiming – if you’re going for a long range head shot and moving your mouse as little as possible and jumping from slightly to the left of your target to slightly to the right then it’s no good.

The things that usually set gaming mice apart is that you CAN get that high resolution and you can switch between settings easily. With a normal mouse I have to open up Control Panel, click devices, right click the mouse and go through the settings menu. On a gaming mouse I can change it by pressing one button, or I can set it to change automatically depending on what program I’m running.

They also usually have a shorter response time, so you don’t get as much lag between you moving the mouse or pressing a button and a reaction in-game. Although most people probably won’t notice a difference.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Mag Li.2581

Mag Li.2581

I love my Logitech G600. My partner has a G500 because he can’t handle that many buttons…

Mag Li [Oxy]
Part 1/2 of a dynamic duo

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I use an Xbox360 controller =P
Much easier in my opinion.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Am I the only one that uses the WASD to move and the numberpad for executing attacks? Of course, I’m not playing many ground targeting attacks but that’s a very natural feeling approach to me.

Oh and yes, I have Naga. I find that you need good muscle memory and a small thumb profile to use the numberpad on it effectively. I wouldn’t recommend it over something that has a more tactile sensation to differentiate the numbers like the new Logitech one.

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

Logitech G600
it is awesome
all others will bow before it eventually

Considering the G600 is basically Logitech stealing Razer’s design, I’d much rather use the original than the clone. By using a G600 you actually bowed before Razer, not Logitech.

Except the clone is so much superior than the original.

1. The mouse allows for other grip style instead of a claw grip.

2. The buttons are shaped differently so the learning cycle is so much faster. There’s zero need to put learning stickers on the buttons because the feel of it tells you what button is.

3. The mouse wheel has left and right tilt

4. There’s a ring finger button that can be used as a modifier key. If you map it as ctrl and push the face 1 button, it becomes ctrl + 1. There’s also a separate mode button that’ll change the mouse to 3 different new set of macros. That’s easily 5 to 6 times the number of mapping you can do vs the naga.

5. Multi color profile on the mouse is standard

6. It’s better built the thumb button paint does not rub off after 6 months. There’s no double click issue like the naga.

7. Doesn’t require a logon razer profile to use it.

All your points are invalid for following reasons:
1. Never had any problems with grip on the Naga. Maybe that’s me.
2. Didn’t use the learning stickers, Naga layout is pretty good. I don’t even know why they were in the box, apart from Naga being the first ever mouse to have so many buttons. Maybe to counter one-button mac users or something.
3. OK kinda valid but I actually don’t use my mouse wheel at all except for zooming
4. I’m playing GW2, not WoW
5. Being pretty is irrelevant for something that’s primarily a pointing device. While a Ferrari is red (and only red), it’s primary function is to drive fast.
6. All mice have button problems eventually, given the amount of clicks I do daily it’s a wonder any mouse survives more than a year. To stick that onto Razer is dishonest.
7. Playing Fable doesn’t require a Guild Wars acount to use. I don’t see how being logged in to use an MMO mouse is an issue. If you’re offline, you’re not using the mouse. If you’re playing the MMO you bought the mouse for, you’re online. What’s the problem?

I facepalmed so hard that I hurt myself. I’m holding you accountable for the medical bills.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.