How is this name unacceptable?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

I am truly confused why the game rejected this proposed name. Is there some sort of swear word that I don’t know about or something?

Attachments:

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

It’s also possible it’s reserved. I couldn’t make a character named Egaile because of Gaile, even though she had a different last name, and the E in the front.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

It’s also possible it’s reserved. I couldn’t make a character named Egaile because of Gaile, even though she had a different last name, and the E in the front.

Well, I just checked the name and it isn’t in use by anyone. For whatever reason the system did not like the word “Kals” in part of the last name. I have no idea why.

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It might be the LSD in the middle of Kalsdottir. That was the reason a name Owlsdottir was rejected back at the start of the game for another person.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Kal Spiro.9745

I also have no idea since Kal S (which the system usually interprets the same as Kals) is the first part of my main character’s name.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Kal Spiro.9745

It might be the LSD in the middle of Kalsdottir. That was the reason a name Owlsdottir was rejected back at the start of the game for another person.

That makes more sense, I didn’t notice that

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

Try Ka L S Dottir

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yah. Silly reason but there you go. :P

Here’s a thread from 3 years ago.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/norn/Owlsdottir-is-an-innappropriate-name-Why

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

It could mean something else in another language regardless of the Server your on. Does separating it into 3 words work? Aela Kals Dottir?

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

Just a flesh wound.3589

It could mean something else in another language regardless of the Server your on. Does separating it into 3 words work? Aela Kals Dottir?

No it won’t matter. Just like the forum kittens words even when there is a space, the filter is going to see the letters ls D and read it for name of the illegal drug.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Maybe you should go for Elainearraskona TIfany Bjorktromsnowshadow Princess Bananahamock the third. Just rolls off tongue like summer breeze in the night.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Would “Kaldottir” be acceptable? If so, give that a try. It eliminates the “LSD” problem (assuming that is the game’s problem).

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

According to Skyrim lore, if you make a character named Aela the class must be Ranger and not Mesmer. That’s your problem.

Attachments:

Posted by: Meanma.5623

Meanma.5623

Would “Kaldottir” be acceptable? If so, give that a try. It eliminates the “LSD” problem (assuming that is the game’s problem).

The only way to eliminate an LSD problem is cocaine.

I propose the name Aela Snowsnorter.

Just a flesh wound.3589

How about Aela Crackintheice?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Meanma.5623

Meanma.5623

Direct. Just like a norn. I like it.

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

Just make her male. “Kalsson” shouldn’t be a problem ;P.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I am truly confused why the game rejected this proposed name. Is there some sort of swear word that I don’t know about or something?

Its not the name, the game is trying to save your poor character from being forced to go out into the shiverpeaks dressed so skimpily. The poor girl will freeze to death

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I’ll never understand norn. They proudly proclaim themselves sons and daughters of all kinds of animals, but call one a son of a [female dog] and they try to punch you.

Posted by: Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

I had to change the name of my mesmer 3 times. Xxx Dominatrix Xxx – Dominaetrixx – Xxdominate Rixx were all unacceptable in gw2 apparantly. Even tho that what my mesmers names were in gw1 for like 7 yrs without issue.

Eventually I just named her Anet Hates Me

Forever Against Stacked Servers
Virual [VRUS] Alien Lunatics [StFu] Nocturnal Sxaddx [Nuts] Ft. Aspenwood
That which is dead may eternally lie, but with great aeons even death may die.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I’ll never understand norn. They proudly proclaim themselves sons and daughters of all kinds of animals, but call one a son of a [female dog] and they try to punch you.

“dottir” is interpreted as “daughter of” and should be preceded by the individual’s parent. If you see a norn named “animalnamedottir” then they are doing it wrong.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Just a flesh wound.3589

“dottir” is interpreted as “daughter of” and should be preceded by the individual’s parent. If you see a norn named “animalnamedottir” then they are doing it wrong.

Not according to the lore. Last names (surnames) can be adopted to tell something about that person.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Norn

“Their surnames can vary in a multitude of styles. Norn without any achievements or legends have surnames after one of their parents (father/mother’s first name followed by -sson or -sdottir or a variant thereof); this is most commonly seen in children, and they’re named after the more famous of their parents even if they do not like said parent (e.g., Braham Eirsson). Surnames do not get adopted from generation to generation and they can be changed by the individual to fit their own personal legend (e.g., a famous Wolfborn member took the surname Wolfsdottir); married couples may not always share surnames either (though some may, e.g., Knut and Gaerta Whitebear). Some norn may also take titles instead of a surname if it fits them and their legend more (e.g., Borje the Sun Chaser).”

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

Was that before or after she slipped and fell?

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServerâ„¢, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Just a flesh wound.3589

Was that before or after she slipped and fell?

After

It was a Mighty Fall which cracked the ice in a Legendary manner, and so became part of her Legend and thus her name.

Norns will be singing around the campfire the song about Aela Crackintheice and her legendary faceplant for many a long year.

ANet may give it to you.