How's the Endgame?

How's the Endgame?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Zavius.8230

Zavius.8230

New player to GW2 here and I gotta say I am so impressed with the leveling and PvP . I’ve only done the first dungeon twice nothing spectacular but not surprised as the first dungeon should ease the players into dungeons. I’m only level 58 at the moment, started playing last Thursday. I was wondering what everyone’s opinions were about end game PvE content and how I’m supposed to actually do stuff in WvW because everywhere I look people always say just find a zerg and go nuts but I cant seem to find one ever :P but is the endgame PvE content good if you compare it to SWTOR or WoW. Hated SWTOR and after 9 years Blizz is out of decent ideas for story and content it seems and I really need a change. Overall I really enjoy this game and was hesitant for a while and I’m glad I finally got into it. Haven’t been so enthralled by a game in quite a long time Sorry for the length :P

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

There is no endgame.

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Non-existent. There’s your answer, will save you a lot of trouble if you accept it.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

What Endgame?
Once you’re 80 is just that daily and same dungeons over and over nothing really much to do.

How's the Endgame?

Zavius.8230

Oh, that’s unfortunate :P So is it fair to say this game is very PvP focused? Not that I have complete issue with that I love PvP in WoW until you need 3 and a half keyboards to fit all spells and macros and I’m having a lot of fun with it now but worried how long the fun will last.

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Oh yes, GW2 is an eSport.
Skyhammer is the player favorite map!

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: zoejo.2317

zoejo.2317

You opened up a can of worms. Welcome to the forums, where everyone hates the game but still plays it.

My advice: get to the endgame and judge it yourself. I’ve been fully leveled and geared and still have a ton of fun ingame.

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

Oh, that’s unfortunate :P So is it fair to say this game is very PvP focused? Not that I have complete issue with that I love PvP in WoW until you need 3 and a half keyboards to fit all spells and macros and I’m having a lot of fun with it now but worried how long the fun will last.

Ok to make you understand is a little from everything don’t compare with any other game because that will not work.

Gw2 is Gw2 there is no other game the same once you’re 80 you have to find something that will keep you playing some farm for legendaries,ascended gear,skins… some pvp for ranks or wvw i hope you will find something that will keep you busy what i do is a little from everything and wait with patience for future updates

(edited by Allanon.9072)

How's the Endgame?

Zavius.8230

Ok to make you understand is a little from everything don’t compare with any other game because that will not work.

Gw2 is Gw2 there is no other game the same

How's the Endgame?

Zavius.8230

Fair statement I will be sure to do that.

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

It really all depends on you really.

What Gw2 tried to do is create a themepark that plays to a degree like a sandbox. Its still fully themepark not saying it isnt but it leaves it entirely up to you on how you play it. Unlike other MMOs content doesnt expire once you outlevel it so you’re free to go back and do all the stuff you skipped and trust me no matter how attentive you are you will skip start be they dynamic events that didnt trigger while you were playing a zone to secrets events hidden in a zone that you didnt discover and trigger to hidden off areas.

Of course if you’re a player who values vertical progression style of and like to have raids you repeat until the next one is released you’ll agree with those people who state there is no end game.

If you’re like me and dont really like to repeat the same dungeon / raid over and over again for months Gw2 is a dream come true. New content released every 2 week, A huge world to explore and uncover the secrets of and once you play all of it and it takes a while then you can choose the content you enjoy to repeat.

How's the Endgame?

Zavius.8230

It really all depends on you really.

What Gw2 tried to do is create a themepark that plays to a degree like a sandbox. Its still fully themepark not saying it isnt but it leaves it entirely up to you on how you play it. Unlike other MMOs content doesnt expire once you outlevel it so you’re free to go back and do all the stuff you skipped and trust me no matter how attentive you are you will skip start be they dynamic events that didnt trigger while you were playing a zone to secrets events hidden in a zone that you didnt discover and trigger to hidden off areas.

Of course if you’re a player who values vertical progression style of and like to have raids you repeat until the next one is released you’ll agree with those people who state there is no end game.

If you’re like me and dont really like to repeat the same dungeon / raid over and over again for months Gw2 is a dream come true. New content released every 2 week, A huge world to explore and uncover the secrets of and once you play all of it and it takes a while then you can choose the content you enjoy to repeat.

Certainly sounds different and maybe it’s what I need. I’ve been aspiring to be captain epic pants for nearly a decade and I just don’t have the time or nostalgic desire to keep up anymore nor do I appreciate continuous 1 year content gaps where I am still required to pay around $200 during that time period. I’ve a had a long desire to find a new MMO experience and this sounds like it could be something I enjoy for a while. Regardless 50 hours of a fantastic experience so far for $30 is great value to me thanks for the insight.

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Define “endgame” please. At what point do you think you have reached the end of the game?

• once one of your characters has reached level 80 (which actually happens pretty early in the game for most people)?
  • once you have a lvl 80 of each class?
  • once one of your characters has gotten to 100% map exploration?
  • once one of your characters has finished their personal story?
  • once you have finished all dungeon paths available?
  • once you have succeeded in all jumping puzzles?
  • once you have done all explorer achievements?
  • once you have filled your wardrobe with all the weapon and armour skins you want?
  • once you have done all the boss achievements for the world boss events?
  • once you have reached maximum crafting levels in all crafting disciplines?
  • once you have aquired all the weapon and armour stats you would like to use (possibly multiple sets for open world/dungeons/wvw)?

Check the achievements tab in your hero panel. You will find achievements associated with all of the points above, and more. Almost (?) none of them require you to reach level 80 before working on them though, so you could say endgame in this game starts the moment you create your first character. What you do with that character, which parts of the game interest you and how long it keeps you busy is totally up to you.

To make things even more flexible, you don’t have to stick with that one character. Pretty much everything in this game is account bound until you actually use it, so you can use dungeon tokens won by one character to buy equipment for another, or work on slayer achievements with several different classes, with all their kills adding up. You have the freedom to play with whatever character you like and still work towards your account goals rather than having to run specific content with a single character to make sure that that character gets the rewards out of it.

Personally, I’ve had my first character at lvl 80 about a year and a half ago, and still am busy trying to do too many parts of this game at once, because I’m having fun all over the place. I know people that have exhausted the parts of the game that were fun to them a long time ago, but until you try everything you won’t know how much of this game appeals to you. Just don’t expect it to become radically different just because you have reached a certain level, since that isn’t how this game works.

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Rasimir, what great post! I have actually done almost all of the things you listed, but I still always have something to do. The very last dot will keep me busy quite some time as I have 19 characters.

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

In my opinion the endgame here is to do whatever you want, and not beeing forced to do what the game wants you to do.
There is no gear-grind here, you play in the end more for visual outfits. Now for that you mainly need to earn gold, and you can earn gold however you want. Make Dungeons, run champ-trains, harvest stuff, kill solo-mobs, do World Events ..

If you however like to have an endless gear treadmill where you only have to run dungeon/raid 1-20 100 times to progress from 1 to the next then this is not your game.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Stuff you might do when you reach level 80:

Finish personal story
Do living story as it comes
Work your way up through Fractals
Do the world boss circuit (only 2 of which are genuinely challenging)
Work (grind) your way to a legendary, and complain about precursors on the forum
Craft ascended weapons and armour
World v World
Become a trading post baron
Speed run dungeons

Some of this might work for you, some won’t. Some despise Living Story, but I like the concept, and think the execution has been OK. Your server must be quiet if you can’t find a Zerg in WvW. I play off peak in a Bronze League server and there is usually a commander tag up. Try your home borderland and Eternal Battlegrounds first. The world bosses are all worth doing at least once, although with the new mega server system they are usually past their ideal size.

Oh, and the final battle in the Personal Story is a bit of a disappointment.

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Ya some people like to said that there is no end-game. Compare to the typical MMO, ya GW2 don’t have a end-game for PvE. In normal MMO, once you get to max level you need to complete specific stuff to get a tier of gear, then you need to do another specific stuff to get higher tier of gear, then you need to do another specific stuff to get the highest tier of gear, by that time, there is a expension where you need to do anothe specific stuff to get the highest tier of gear. That the typical PvE endgame, which don’t exist in GW2.

Its been almost 2 years since i started to play and I still have SO MUCH to do in this game. But not eveything seem attractive to everybody. For me, the three end-game for GW2 (and its only personnal).

- PvE : Getting better with my guild at running dungeon fast, and accumulating gold and rewards to get all the stuff I want : Legendary, Cool looking skins, Filling as much as possible my Wardrobe. And completing achievement permanent or temporary.
- WvW : getting a WvW organized group for raiding on a regular basis and beat the crap out of larger group.
- PvP : A couple games now and then it really nice, but I not even near this end-game of tournament and creating a sPvP team.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Ohh and one thing I forgot, another kinda cool thing Gw2 has is your personal story forks quite a bit so if you create an alt you’ll have different personal stories to a degree. It kinda coalesces in its last 1/3 to 3 main storylines from some 25 different stories to start with but you will still get a choice of 2 different missions now and again in those 3 storylines.

If you’re into story and lore it might be worth rolling characters to do the different personal story because it will create a bigger picture for you. Example in one of the last personal stories you might decide to take an approach that uses magical object X which is now in possession of the say the priory. You’re not told much about this magical object just what it does and how it can help in the mission ahead. But Doing the personal story of a different race for that same faction could have you for a few missions deal with the retrieval of this magical object X during which you’re also learn more about the object history and stuff.

Not for everyone but a big plus if you’re into story.

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Oh yes, there’s some nice story lines and character hidden in the different paths of the personal story, although it’ll probably take a while (and several characters) for most people to start to see the picture.

I very well remember how I one day wanted to pick up my elementalist’s personal story line and was thoroughly confused because it sent me to find someone named Tegwen in the Bloodtide Coast. For some reason, I remembered being supposed to look for her in the Caledon Forest … which I was, but not on the elementalist, but on the much lower level guardian. That was the first time I realized that a lot of the npcs do in fact appear in several different story missions and paths. Later that same day I switched to my (rarely played) warrior and found that he was on the way to meeting an npc someplace in Orr … the very same Tegwen that also appeared in the two story missions I had done just before.

I have since noticed a lot of story npcs appearing in different spots of the story line, and even though it’s not an activity that by itself would keep me busy for long, playing all the different story line options and seeing how the story as a whole unfolds is something I very much enjoy about this game.

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

For me Anet were completely right when they said the entire game is end-game. When I got to level 80 my biggest problem was I didn’t know what to do first.

I felt this great sense of freedom because I didn’t have to worry about whether I was the right level for the things I wanted to do or saving up for new equipment. I was finished with all that and I could play on any map I wanted, doing any content I wanted in any order.

The first thing I did was head to Southsun Cove, just because I hadn’t been there since the weekend event in November 2012 (it took me from launch to March 2013 to hit level 80 on my main). Then I went and completed the Diessa Plateau map in Ascalon, just because I hadn’t seen much of Ascalon while leveling up.

Neither helped me with any of my goals in the game (except a little bit of map completion) but that didn’t matter because all those goals were now completely optional. I wasn’t locked out of anything until I’d completed anything else, there was nothing I had to do, but everything I had been doing before and everything I hadn’t yet tried was still available to me.

Since then it’s been pretty much the same. I played Super Adventure Box almost exclusively in April 2013, then instead of being a month behind I was right back where I was before. I’ve gotten up to about 70% map completion, just exploring wherever I feel like going until I get bored with it. I’ve gotten to rank 40 in WvW and done the Season 1 and Season 2 achievements, I’m slowly working towards a legendary and thinking about making ascended armor. I’m working my way through all the dungeons. Some day I might try PvP and Fractals, or I might not, I haven’t decided yet. There’s also Living Story season 2 to look forward to.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Oh yes, there’s some nice story lines and character hidden in the different paths of the personal story, although it’ll probably take a while (and several characters) for most people to start to see the picture.

I very well remember how I one day wanted to pick up my elementalist’s personal story line and was thoroughly confused because it sent me to find someone named Tegwen in the Bloodtide Coast. For some reason, I remembered being supposed to look for her in the Caledon Forest … which I was, but not on the elementalist, but on the much lower level guardian. That was the first time I realized that a lot of the npcs do in fact appear in several different story missions and paths. Later that same day I switched to my (rarely played) warrior and found that he was on the way to meeting an npc someplace in Orr … the very same Tegwen that also appeared in the two story missions I had done just before.

I have since noticed a lot of story npcs appearing in different spots of the story line, and even though it’s not an activity that by itself would keep me busy for long, playing all the different story line options and seeing how the story as a whole unfolds is something I very much enjoy about this game.

I’ve noticed this too.

I was really surprised the other day when I created an asuran to play through a different branch of the personal story (Statics) and found myself working with Pokka and Kozzak on the unveiling of their VOED (very old energy detector) – the very same gadget they’d used to help my human character find clues in Orr to defeat Zhaitan.

I’ve noticed Tegwen popping up all over the place too, and a few others. Scholar Inkblood seems to be in about 1/2 my human characters missions.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

Look at it this way, once your level 80, there’s nothing you can’t do!

At level 58 you can’t

- go to Orr maps, SouthSun Cove, FrostGorge.
- go to some dungeons
- do some events like Temples
- do some puzzles
- reconfigure you character’s traits to really learn all of your class skills
- complete crafting to grand master levels

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

Oh yes, GW2 is an eSport.
Skyhammer is the player favorite map!

I love Skyhammer.

On topic, I consider WvW to be the “endgame,” as far as game content goes. However, I’m a RPer, and we make our own game, so…

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

How's the Endgame?

Posted by: viralthefrog.6130

viralthefrog.6130

My endgame is sPvP.
I love the PvP in this game, regardless of what the haters say.
It just needs moar maps, modes, and the removal of Failhammer. :P