I'm a new player

I'm a new player

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: AuTomA.2459

AuTomA.2459

Hello everyone,i’m a new player(i’m actually installing the game right now)

I played at guild wars 1 very much and i was a Duncan Runner in Eye of north,i’ve decided only now to play gw2 for no reason(should have played this game earlier)

I’m wondering,do you pheraps have any tips for a beginner?thank you guys!

I'm a new player

Posted by: Jana von Ritterstein.6371

Jana von Ritterstein.6371

Hi, try this thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/OMG-If-you-only-knew-this-tips-for-new-players

There is a plenty of info you need to know.

I'm a new player

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

First tip. If you see hordes of people running around, don’t join them. That’s not the way to experience the game. Go out into the world, try things, ask questions, explore.

I'm a new player

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s hard to anticipate what questions you might have so I’ll just say if you’re ever not sure about something ask, either in map chat in game or here. Most people are really nice and willing to help if they can.

Also you can search the wiki. There’s a link at the top of the page and in-game you can type “/wiki [Thing you want to know about]” For example “/wiki sword” will take you to the page on swords.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

I'm a new player

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

First off, welcome to GW2! Heres a fairly generic post that i copy/paste on to every new player thread, with some basics you should learn. Incoming wall of text.
Firstly, there is a huge difference between the combat here and the combat in WoW and most other MMOs. A few things of note:
The combat in this game is much more action-oriented- you can avoid attacks by strafing and dodging as you fight, and using skills to counter enemy attacks. It’s more important to avoid attacks than to heal them. You can avoid attacks via blind, blocks, teleports, and evades/dodges. Every class also has their own healing skill, which is your #6 slot. You may be somewhat used to this from your old game, since you said you try to ki things before they kill you. The current meta for PVE is to use full dmg gear an traits and wipe out mobs and bosses as quickly as possible, using active defense to avoid dying. If you like that then this game is definitely for you.
There is no healer/tank/DPS trinity. Everyone is responsible for their own survival, for DPSing the enemy, for coordinating support and control to make fights more manageable.
Your success in this game depends largely on your skill as a player, rather than your gear.
I highly recommend giving this a read: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/GW2-Combat-system-101-Guide/first
In addition, GW2 is highly unlike WoW in many other respects. The game’s meant to be more of a journey- you take your time and enjoy the process of leveling, explore to your heart’s content, and when you hit 80, there aren’t tiers of raids and gear to chase one after the other. You pretty much find what you enjoy doing and do it.

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

I'm a new player

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The three sticky threads that have replies at the top of the Player helping Player board are full of very useful info.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

I'm a new player

Posted by: AuTomA.2459

AuTomA.2459

well thanks a lot to all of you guys,just one more thing;when i try to start the game it says to me to choose a world,some are very high population,some others just high,what am i supposed to do?

I'm a new player

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

With some of the recent changes what world (or server) you chose is mostly only important in WvW. Also there are North American servers and European servers. Players usually can not play with those from the other group.

There are different areas to play in GW2:
1. PvE is open world fighting NPCs doing quests, exploring, doing closed dungeons, and living story content.
2. PvP which is players fighting against player and
3. WvW where 3 servers fight players against players to capture keeps, towers, supply depots, etc.

Google to find the list of servers for either NA or EU and their standings if you think you may want to play WvW. Also if you already belong to a guild from another game that has a presence in GW2 it helps to pick the server that guild is on. You can switch servers if you join a guild later on another server and want to switch to it.

Edit: Servers with high WvW standing usually have high populations and may have queue times into order to get into WvW. Less populated servers don’t have queue times, players just go directly into Wvw without waiting.

(edited by Lazuli.2098)

I'm a new player

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

That OMG thread is awesome…..been playing this game since beta and I learned quite a few things from it. Very valuable information for any player.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

I'm a new player

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

First tip. If you see hordes of people running around, don’t join them. That’s not the way to experience the game. Go out into the world, try things, ask questions, explore.

Or you can join them and get a glimpse out of what you will end up doing most of the time at max level.

/sarcasm off.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

I'm a new player

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Read stuff. Read the heart and event descriptions. Read the skill tooltips. Read the hints. Read your map. Read your mail. Read (watch) the dialogue in cutscenes.

My buddy just started this game too and is constantly asking me questions that he’d already have answers to if he’d just slow down and read the text that pops up on the screen.

Also, try out all the professions. You might be surprised which you ultimately fall in love with. I was.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)