Leveling was fun. Frustrated by Endgame.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Breidr.9830

Breidr.9830

I will give the game credit, my personal story was fun, and I enjoyed the ride, especially the epic battle in the last dungeon. Now that I’m finished with that, however, the game has become increasingly more frustrating,

Platforming in this game frustrates me to no end, and I’m short for a Norn. Was going to try and complete the map, but it’s more trouble than fun, so I’ve shelved that.

I started on the Living World, after buying the other episodes that is, and can’t even get past the first part. The game just wipes the floor with me. I have decent gear, decent traits, but the difficulty just ramped up and it doesn’t add up to me. Dry Top is also a pretty irritating area to me, but that’s beside the point.

I also tried some WvW recently, and I even had some friends tonight for the reset. I was expecting to get wrecked, but figured it would be fun. It was the farthest thing from fun in this game. They have a bigger blob than us, time to get wrecked or run away. We have a bigger blob, good luck actually “fighting.” It was very unsatisfying. I got XP, great, but why, because I hit someone once? We spent 5 minutes bashing a wall down so we could go kill one mob and stand in a circle, fun…

Am I missing something here? I know people still play this game at level cap, so what am I missing? Where is the activity and why is it so frustrating to be a new 80?

Posted by: Hattoni.8597

Hattoni.8597

Noone can tell what would be fun for you, but I can speak for myself.

I have leveled 8 chars in very short time. Why? Because I couldn’t find any fun being lv 80, leveling was so enjoyable. However, I just finished leveling my 3rd guardian and by the time I hit 80 something changed. I felt love in being 80, I started working on my map completion, I collected enough money to finished weaponsmithing (500), I’m working on getting better gear.

What’s the difference between my current main and other characters? What’s the difference between my human female guardian and charr & asura guardians?

I don’t know, maybe it’s race, maybe because I feel like my char has some personality traits which I find interesting. The most important thing is you have to love your char, it must be important for you, it must be yours. I know it may sound like an exaggerstion, but I want to show you that once you create your char, created how you want, not how others want you will find game interesting, no matter what you do. Wvw, pvp, dungeons, anything.

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Each race and each class feels completely different. Perhaps you would enjoy other aspects of the game on another characters like Hattoni have mentioned.
I’m not sure. I really enjoy jumping puzzles and I used to hate them. I guess it’s a matter of getting used to the controls? Maybe you should try PvP. It can be fun. =)

Posted by: Hattoni.8597

Hattoni.8597

Anorher good idea is to have a little break from playing game. If you’re not a hardcore player this one moth break means nothing and then, after coming back you might start enjoying game.

My advice is to try everything game has to offer:jumping puzzles, exploring, world bosses, dungeons, fractals, lore, duels, solo roaming, tournaments, wvw – you never know if there is anything, which can surprise you.

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

What about doing dungeons and fractals?

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Posted by: Pepsi.8907

Pepsi.8907

I will also speak for myself, because what I found out about GW2 was that Endgame enjoyment truly was a matter of personal preference.
I was mainly doing WvW, staying away from PVP, and rarely doing PVE. I was alone and didn’t really enjoy the game.
It was a “I don’t know what else to play” sort of game.
Then I entered a guild, discovered fractals and finally had enough money to lvl my crafting to 500.
I set my eyes on Ascended, never thinking I’d go through it, and SURPRISE! I managed to have a full set of Ascended (armor, weapons and trinkets) in a matter of 3 months.
This is when I began loving the game, truly, for what it was.
Logging with friends, messing around in the world, with tonics, JP etc.
Doing fractals with a team of knowledgeable people on TS,
being introduced to PvP and fulfilling my competitive side like WvW couldn’t.
I finally discovered that what I thought I loved was simply the only things I dared doing alone.
With a guild, the game changed for me.
I discovered that, at 80, no one will take you by the hand and tell you: this is want you will find fun, this is what you shouldn’t do.
You have to try things, no matter what they are, setting goals (short or long) to achieve to get you hooked. Finding friends to play with.
As Hattoni said, the most important thing is to love your character. No matter the reason. To love having him at 80.
Liking the journey and liking a character are two different thing, with the former not making you enjoy the Endgame experience GW2 as to offer.
Once you’ll hit the one you love, you’ll know it and the whole game will change.

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I saw it the other way. I hated leveling and had a blast on all the professions once they were 80 and had all thier trait when I went into WvW.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I started on the Living World, after buying the other episodes that is, and can’t even get past the first part. The game just wipes the floor with me.

Were you with friends? They make all the difference. Not just in numbers.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

It’s all about personnal preference. And those preference could change over time as you get into the right situation.

I was all about PvE during the first year of the game. I went through all the dungeon numerous times, got my gear, made map completion, got into speed run in dungeon, made a couple of legendaries, etc. After a year, I got into WvW. At first I was roaming alone or with a small group, scouting the map for the commanders, upgrading stuff, protecting camp. Then I found a WvW guild. It was a blast. Working together, everyone with a role. A enemy group twice small, we don’t bother, a enemy group twice as big, we loved it and run after them. Some fight we lose, some fight we won, but it was always epic.

Right now, I still WvW with them, but I got into sPvP too. More and more ppl from my PvE guild are like me. They did most of the PvE stuff already. They are tired of dungeon, already have a least 1 legendary, but still having fun together. sPvP is becoming our focus right now.

My advice to you is find a good guild where you can make friends and they will bring you into new things, gonna show you what is the best in their opinion and explain to you how to play the game and have fun. If the guild you found play a part of the game you don’t like much, then find another one, there is plenty of guild out there.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

If you decide to run dungeons, let me give you a tip: avoid the LFG like plague if you don’t want more frustration. Find yourself a cool guild, which offers some events, some WvW roaming that is surely more interesting than zerging (but there is still the risk to be destroyed by an enemy zerg walking by).
If you find cool friends to do it with, you can start build your Fractals level and slowly reach the top, not too rewarding or anything but it can be funny if you like that type of activities.
Try other professions and races to check which one is the most fitting for you, (every race has a different PS for the first chapterS)
And if you like to fight other players, PvP could be a better solution despite it’s a very unbalanced enviroment as well.
But really, joining a big and working guild will really “change your (in-game) life” in some ways. If I am bored I can always hop in to do some event, can propose some activity, join for a dungeon or whatever.

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

Hi Breidr,

Firstly congratulations on reaching 80! like you i really enjoyed the Personal story so much that i have leveled 22 80’s all from different races, classes and orders each of them had a different story was lots of fun.

A lot of people will tell you the game opens up at 80 and i tend to agree. So many goals to Aim for i’m not going to name them all :p. Also if you enjoyed the Arah story Dungeon you should take a look at the other dungeons in the game both Story and explore lots of fun and gold to be made.

Please feel free to add me as a friend in game and i would be happy to bring you along on some dungeon runs with my guildies. Also happy to help you through the living story quests and Achievements if you still need it.

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

Am I missing something here? I know people still play this game at level cap, so what am I missing? Where is the activity and why is it so frustrating to be a new 80?

Yes you are missing something. Even though GW2 can be a pleasurable single player experience it is an MMO. It is meant to be a social experience so you need to make it one. You will have a lot more fun this way.

Content that you find too difficult and frustrating can be fun with a group of like minded gamers. Go the extra mile and have everyone on a VOIP and you might even make a friendship or two that covers several years and several different games. Speaking from experience here.

Other than that the endgame is what you want it to be. It can be a social experience, or one where you pretty up your characters, work on alts and different story paths or get good and excel in WvW or sPvP. For me it is a little of all of those.

Either way I hope you find the “fun” you seek and if not than that’s ok. Not every game is made for everyone.

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast