Looking for a Marksman class.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

So I’m looking for a long ranged burst damage class.

I’ve tried Ranger, but the class direction there is too pet-focused and too attrition-dps focused for my taste. Longbow has the range feel I’m looking for, but its really a dps weapon and not a burst, boom-headshot kind of deal.

I’ve also tried killshot warrior, but that feels kind of 1 dimensional. I’d like something with a little bit of complexity, some sort of setup beyond sit still and pop off one bullet.

I’ve also played all kinds of elementalist, but the burst damage there is pretty much tied to melee range dagger offhand.

So I’m all out of ideas. Any suggestion for a high burst, long range marksman build/class?

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

Posted by: Eloquence.5207

Eloquence.5207

Le Thief. You don’t have long range burst in the most traditional sense. You can cover a long distance in a short time to stabbity-stab-stab.

“L2P” according to pr0 Thieves
http://youtu.be/k0YDuSLXcX8?t=3m16s
See, Blinding Powder is nothing.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Thieves can wield double pistols. But melee still delivers more damage. This game doesn’t have a pure spike damage range character.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

The engineer build is still pretty much reliant on melee range to do damage beyond hip shots. Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn’t seem like it would have a long-range kind of play-style anyways. More like just waiting at range until your initiation tool comes off cd and lets you pull them into melee.

I never really thought of thief shadowsteps in that way, but that seems pretty interesting.

Still, I’d really love to find something that actually plays from range. I understand its going to do alot less damage than melee in any case, so really I guess I’m looking for interesting combos to burst with. Unload/Hip Shot are pretty spammy. Are there any setups that do interesting things from long range to apply burst damage?

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I rather enjoy a warrior with a bow or rifle. Staff ele does lots of damage from a distance. Not sure about bursting.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Le Thief. You don’t have long range burst in the most traditional sense. You can cover a long distance in a short time to stabbity-stab-stab.

Wouldn’t it rather be “le voleur” ?

@OP
Well, Killshot is the closest thing you can get that fits your description, everything else is pretty much long ranged sustained damage for obvious balance reasons. Those 4k auto attacks from the longbow ranger can hurt though.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Odin.1354

Odin.1354

If you want a marksman then warrior is really not your way because it is really faceroll the world and be done with it. Easy, but not really that much fun imo (have mained it though :P).

Thief would also be a nice option, fun gameplay, bit tricky to play really well.

And Elementalist maybe? Really strong burst, addictive gameplay (imo), low survivability though but plenty of ways to get around harms way.

If you say markman, then these two are the first that come to mind. Marksman in my eyes is a strong damage dealer but also sacrifices survivability for it. And you will have to utilize your power in ways that are maybe not that straightforward as the warrior deals his damage (faceroll headbut your enemy and hope for higher dps than them) And to be honest with you, elementalist fits that which you seek. high damage but if you arent constantly trying to avoide damage while comboing all of your spells rapidly you will die, and my god you will die easily :P But that is the beauty of it, and what I think is the beauty of playing a marksman like class.

-Gunnar’s Hold-

Posted by: Alacrity.4312

Alacrity.4312

the nearest thing to that “boom-headshot” feel, might be to trait for Ballista (in WvW).

Guardian currently has the highest ranged damage skill http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Smite I think it can even surpass FGS if all the stars align
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Cheat-Or-is-it-a-real-build
tho it’s probably more like calling in an airstrike than sniping.

Posted by: alexanderthegreat.6784

alexanderthegreat.6784

I would do a necro or a engineer for ranged damage

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Burst ele, try scepter/fresh air

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com