New To Game Which Classes?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Jayech.5763

Jayech.5763

Are elementalist like mages ? What do mesmer do?

Which one should I pick for dps PVP? elementalist,necro or mesmer? I want to become like a mage in WoW

Posted by: knifejaw.6407

knifejaw.6407

SO! You want to delve into the continent of Tyria as a mage?

From my little experience with the Elementalist I would say this class is what you want in terms of closeness to the Mage from WoW. Elementalists have control over the four elements, Fire and water are the two you begin with and within the first few levels you will unlock air and eath. I would compare them to a mixture between how the mage slings spells in WoW and the Shamans control over the four elements. Each of the elements you attune with do different things, like using earth to bleed your foes and water to heal your allies. This is one of the most versatile class’s in the game as at one moment you may be a full DPS and the next you may switch to skills that are great for CC or crowd control.

However, this class is not as forgiving to newer players as the Necromancer. Compared to WoW, this is a mixture of the warlock’s ability to steal souls (life force in GW2) and the Deathknight’s tankiness. This class has a very high survivability and if treated correctly can devastate in most one on one situations and hold its in in one on two. The thing that makes the necromancer special is its second health pool from an ability called death shroud, using the life-force from before. It also gets a few more skills while in this mode.

Lastly, the Mesmer. This class is probably the least forgiving in the cloth armor classes, but is still very fun to use once you’ve figured out the class. This class has the ability to create clones of itself and then use these clones as weapons. The skills that a Mesmer have rely heavily on the creation of clones and causing chaos. I’m not able to get into to much detail, because I have not played this class very much, but from my experience in PvP they can be hectic to deal with if they are grouped with other players. I don’t really know what to compare this class to from WoW, it’s on of those “out there” classes. It does have the ability to turn people into a Moa Bird at level 30 if you unlock the elite skill like the Mage.

As for the dps PvP, all of them are viable and do their things with their own flavor. Unlike WoW, someone who is traited for incredible DPS can be good, but it requires you to learn all of your dodge and block skills because you WILL rely on them to remain alive. Any good PvPer knows to target the squishier enemies first. My advise for someone beginning the PvP adventure would be to look up a good trait combo on the internet and try it out. There are plenty of viable combinations with different learning curves.

Jayech.5763

Thanks I’ll try elementalist then, does the lvl 80 armor for elementalist look good?

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

All Scholars/Light Armors (which will have the most mage-like image I’m guessing as a non-WoW-player) have access to the same armor, so wouldn’t base your choice on that. You can PvP as an 80 straight away, might be worth checking all classes that caught your eye out, but like Knifejaw made clear, Elementalist sounds like what you’re looking for.

Jayech.5763

Does elementalist does alot of damage compared to mesmer and necro?

And which one of the three has the most coolest looking spells? I guess the mesmer then elementalist?

(edited by Jayech.5763)

Posted by: Squishy.3694

Squishy.3694

The “best” visuals are all based on preference but I think that it’s only fair to warn you that Ele has the sharpest learning curve in the game- relying on kiting and stance-dancing this class is usually played after you have tried a few more forgiving classes (i.e warrior)
but can be really rewarding if you play it right. I once heard it being described as “If you can play your keyboard like a piano then the Elementalist is perfect for you” <—— Never has a quote been more true but feel absolutely free to do whatever you want and take this opinion with a grain of salt as my first char was an Ele

Quaggan finds your post inaccurate, wrong, misinformed, smelly and not as
good as Quaggan. Quaggan for President!

Posted by: DebraKadabra.5278

DebraKadabra.5278

Well… you have 5 character slots to start with, so you could feasibly roll all three (ele, mes & necro) and play through a few levels with each to see which one suits you best.

As for spells… well… there’s really no specific spells, as everything combat-wise is skill based. With the ele, you have the ability to have four different skill sets on the same weapon (based on the attunements of air, fire, water, and earth). But of the three, IIRC necro has the highest health pool.

You know, I think ele may be the way to go for you but it’s probably better if you decide that for yourself through game play. Good luck on whatever you choose!

What we have been is what we are.

Posted by: Squishy.3694

Squishy.3694

Damage wise the Ele can provide a constant barrage of damage with cripples, chills and bleeds. However the Necro can easily bring down anything/one with the sheer amount of condition damage it can apply in a short space of time. The Mesmer is very spike damage oriented and relies on clones for survivability. In order of DPS it goes something like Ele, Mes,Necro but that can change depending on the build you run and your play style

Quaggan finds your post inaccurate, wrong, misinformed, smelly and not as
good as Quaggan. Quaggan for President!

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Welcome to the game. Be aware of a few things, though:

-There is no healer/tank/DPS trinity here.

• There is no dedicated tank to take aggro off you- aggro here is random, and you will have to handle it yourself if you catch it.
  • There is no dedicated healer here to heal you- everyone is responsible for keeping themselves alive through active damage avoidance (it’s more important to avoid damage here than it is to heal it).
  • Everyone’s responsible for crippling the enemy with control skills, making things easier with support skills, and doing damage to down the enemy.

-Elementalist does NOT play like a mage from WoW or any other MMO. The class is extremely squishy in terms of raw stats, with the lowest base health pool and armor- however, it has a -lot- of defensive tricks, like high mobility, evades, AoE CC, high self-recovery, blinds, defensive boons, shields, invulnerabilities, etc. A well-played ele is very strong, but the class has an incredibly steep learning curve.

As an elementalist, you must memorize not only 20+ skills, but think of creative ways to use and combo them. Your survival will depend on active play- you must move constantly and change attunements constantly and use your skills deliberately in order to survive. If you stand still and throw fireballs, you’ll be in for a highly unpleasant surprise.

That being said! Elementalist is a very fun class, and I personally can’t play anything else for long. Playing it is rough at first, but if you practice and keep trying to improve, you will get better. I died a lot when I started out, and so did practically everyone else. So don’t get discouraged.

Here’s some elementalist gameplay demo videos. Some of them are old, but hopefully they’ll give you some idea of how the class works:

Again, a disclaimer: All of these videos feature my second and third elementalists. They were all made after hundreds of hours spent learning my first elementalist, who I died a lot on. These videos aren’t meant to show you how you MUST play coming right out of the starter instance, but to demonstrate how the class plays with experience.

I also recommend giving this a read: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/GW2-Combat-system-101-Guide/first

Hope that was of some help. Feel free to add me and hit me up if you have questions.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: lazycalm.5186

lazycalm.5186

Avoid elementalists like the plague if you don’t want to be constantly frustrated.

The way they are ATM, and will still be after the patch, it’s a pain to play. High risk, zero reward.

Posted by: MasterKitty.8205

MasterKitty.8205

Welcome aboard!

Elementalists have a very big DPS, BUT they are mostly a PvE class, rather than a PvP/WvW one, simply because a lot of their AOE spells are easily avoidable and the survivability they have is really not enough, unless you’re determined to learn how to dodge properly and be active and fast in your attacks. I’m not saying they aren’t viable for WvW, every race is, but just keep in mind that survivability is a bit of trouble for them.

Necromancers aren’t many out there, but from my experience, they are pretty strong, not as much in PvE (Some people even hate having them in dungeons, but that’s wrong of those people and is another topic). They rely on Conditional Damage (Damage over time) and their minions. I’ll tell ya, WvW zergs with no necromancers are a lot weaker than those with them.

Mesmers (my class), these pink buddies rely on confusion, deception, and boon stealing (boons are kind of buffs). They create illusions – clones that look and are named exactly like the player and phantasms, ghostly figures of the player. Clones have little HP, and damage close to 0, while phantasms have a lot bigger HP, and very high dmg (aroundd 50% of the players dmg, I think). These are useful both in PvE and PvP. In PvE they are used to redirect aggro, and more importantly, shatter. Shattering clones is pretty much getting them to explode while dealing very big damage or cause certain effects. In PvP they are used, again, for shattering and for to simply confuse enemies. Some mesmers can create a feeling for players that they’re fighting against 4 enemies, while it’s only one. I should note that mesmers are very much loved in WvW, because they have certain abilities that helps their sides a lot (teleport, for one).

Welcome, hope you have fun in Tyria!

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

So much untruths bout the elementalist.
First off all, in essence the ele is very squishy, but you can build them actually pretty strong without loosing much of its DPS. This is also important. due to the fact that you don’t have healers to keep you alive and you don’t have tanks getting all the agro, it is not a simple matter off getting the dps in. You need to move, you need to kite, and you need to avoid getting killed while you deal DPS.

They are very viable in WvW and actually my most favourite class there. All the people saying not, ask yourself, what you do if your attacking a gate and there is an ele on the wall casting meteorshower on your pretty rams

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: MasterKitty.8205

MasterKitty.8205

They are very viable in WvW and actually my most favourite class there. All the people saying not, ask yourself, what you do if your attacking a gate and there is an ele on the wall casting meteorshower on your pretty rams

(imagining…) Point taken.

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Hear, hear. Any WvW group fighter worth their salt will tell you how valuable staff elementalists are in organized zergs or GvGs. That’s in addition to the fact that they’re one of the best PvE classes in the game.

If someone says that playing an elementalist has zero rewards, chances are they don’t have the skill for it and aren’t willing to admit it.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: The Butcher.4753

The Butcher.4753

Hi, I’m a noob too.

For what it’s worth, I’ve tried, for the first 10 levels or so: the Warrior, Engineer, Ranger, Necromancer and Elementalist.

I’d say the Warrior is the easiest to play so far, owns to survivability, and that the Elementalist is the hardest. The others are somewhere in between.

I’ve decide to level the Warrior first and put off the others until I better get the hang of GW2.

(edited by The Butcher.4753)