New player has a question :)

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Thirteen Shadows.5430

Thirteen Shadows.5430

Just started downloading this game and as i wait been trying to figure out what kind of class i want to try out on my first go though so i thought i would ask the people who have been playing for a while what is your take on it. I generally like to play a “high risk high reward” kind of class that jumps into the fray and does a lot of damage to quickly get rid of my opponents (glass cannony). So any insight would be helpful as i patiently (not really) wait for this game to be installed on my computer!

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Welcome!

I find this guide to be very helpful when it comes to a general idea of what each class performs and their ‘themes’.

Most classes will have a ‘glass-cannon’ build or sort so that won’t be too hard to get you paired up with. What’ll help is if you could provide more details on the type of classes/roles you enjoy playing.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Theif or elementist have the highest damange. But in the current meta everyone is running a glass cannon build. If you want the highest I would say go ele

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Elementalist and Thief like Talyn said. They are not the top 2 highest damage anymore, but they are pretty high up there. They are the 2 that feel the most glass canon.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Chaos.5072

Chaos.5072

:)

Posted by: Thirteen Shadows.5430

Thirteen Shadows.5430

Welcome!

I find this guide to be very helpful when it comes to a general idea of what each class performs and their ‘themes’.

Most classes will have a ‘glass-cannon’ build or sort so that won’t be too hard to get you paired up with. What’ll help is if you could provide more details on the type of classes/roles you enjoy playing.

I guess the best way to give more details would be to talk about past experience. EQ2 i played a Monk and paladin. Both could be up front and essentially dominate if i planed it out right. Monk could do high damage and doge enough damage till the end of the fight. Where as the paladin i could multi task and be a tank/healer/dps all in one. I liked them both but i liked the monk most in that game. In Swtor i play as a sentinel which i guess is where the “high risk high reward” theme comes in mind where again if i timed everything right i fight off a mob and do enough damage to get them before they got me and even do so much damage that my tank would have a hard time keeping argo off of me (have to keep them tanks on their toes or its no fun that way lol).
I have tried “spell casting” characters in the past but i have never found it too much fun just sitting back and sniping things. Dont get me wrong i like the concept of being able to set something on fire with the snap of my finger but just feels odd being that far back from the fight…
Don’t know if that helps at all…

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

If you like the Paladin Support while DPSing arch type might just want to go with the Guardian, low hp base, but good support options with decent DPS potential. You will be very much a glass cannon as it has the same HP pool as the thief or Ele.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Good luck with high rewards mate….

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

PvP, WvW or PvE?

In either case.. You may wanna check out Mesmer or Ele.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

Ele is definitely the most glass cannon class in this game, but since you like to melee, try a scepter/dagger or dagger/dagger build.

As Talyn said, give Guardian a try, too. This game doesn’t have designated healers and everyone is expected to watch their own health, but guardian’s boons and f1-f3 skills can certainly help when the group isn’t doing well.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I would suggest the elementalist also if you want the glass cannon. They are also useful in support roles if you ever want to try that.

You’ll have 5 character slots though. Make a different profession for each and try them out. If you go to the PvP area you can try out each profession with all the skills unlocked.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)