New to GW2 do's and dont's?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Dunecoon.5134

Dunecoon.5134

Hey all, just joined GW2.

I have a lot of mmo experience, wow aoc warhammer etc. But I was wondering if u had any tips for people new to the game.

I heard rolling warrior was best for new players, easy learning curve. Any other do or do not’s?

Most importantly, I don’t have the greatest laptop, so what graphic adjustments should I make? I’m assuming turn off reflections and shadows? but what else?

Posted by: Sobat.8650

Sobat.8650

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/OMG-If-you-only-knew-this-tips-for-new-players
really good list for new players

make use of “Character Model Limit” and “Character Model Quality” in options to get some more FPS if there are too many players around

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Don’t get mad if someone else attacks the mob you’re fighting. They’re helping and you’ll still get all your xp and loot, only faster. Same with gathering nodes, no one can steal them.

Do dodge. A lot. Avoiding damage is key.

Warrior is pretty easy to learn on, yes. Elementalist and Engineer will take the most to figure out.

Do read the sticky at the top of this forum about omg if only I knew this.

Do explore everywhere. If it looks interesting and you can jump to it, go! There are hidden surprises in most caves, behind waterfalls, atop mountains.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Don’t trade through the mail unless it is someone you know/trust or if you just don’t care about losing virtual stuff.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Don’t stand in the red circles.

Do help other players in PvE. This includes fights as well as rezzing. Announce on map when an event is up.

Don’t get caught up doing the “Champ Train” in Queensdale. There’s a whole world to explore.

Do learn to use the dodge key liberally.

Don’t get stuck doing just the personal story. It is only one quest path.

Do get gathering tools and gather everything. Not only you get XP you can sell the materials gathered on the Trading Post (O key) for a lot more than just selling to a vendor.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Don’t stand in yellow circles, bars, and triangles either. :P

Oh and as for starting class. Warrior is easy but you probably won’t learn as much if you you can just plow through things without a care in the world. I would recommend going with an elementalist or a thief. You might die more often but if you use each death as a learning experience you’ll probably end up better at the game than if you started with a warrior.

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

Also learn this command: /wiki (item name, viewpoint, mission name and so on)

If you type this in chat you will be taken to the wiki with info on the subject.
It might seem like cheating, but there is so much going on in the game that checking up on things might just stop you from making a mistake.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I agree with Khisanth about warrior, personally think thief and ele would be more frustrating than you might like though. You have 5 slots to play with various professions I recommend you use them all.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Learn how to dodge properly.

Use gathering tools, they help a lot. You will get extra XP and stuff you can sell on the Trading Post.

Explore as much as possible, get as many waypoints as you can – it helps travelling faster. Try to fully explore areas, you will get a nice reward if you do it.

Join a guild that is willing to help new players out. Most are, but it never hurts to let them know your status.

Use the Trading Post to sell stuff and always check your drops there before merching or salvaging them. You never know when you hit gold. Press O and then select the Sell My Stuff tab, it will show the prices for each item that can be sold in your inventory.

Always do daily achievements – 5 of them done each day get you a nice reward. Also do monthly achievements, they give you an even better reward but take longer to complete.

Do not throw away hard-earned cash, let it stack until you have figured out what you need to buy.

Open your achievement tab and try to get some of them done. Every 500 achievement points earned you will get a very nice reward chest. 500 seems a lot, but at first you will get tons of achievements done very easily.

You don’t need to travel to cities in order to access your personal bank. You can do it in explorable areas, too, at any crafting station. Interact with it and you will have tabs there for bank and stacked materials.

Do all the events that pop near you, great way to get XP.

Oh, and one last thing: learn how to dodge properly!

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Take your time with your first 1-2 characters, don’t rush to 80. Learn to utilize the dodge feature as much as possible although it my seem to be useless in the regular openworld. Don’t stick with just 1 or 2 weapon-sets, try out as many combinations as possible, change your build from time to time. Read the stuff that’s on the screen!

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Don’t sell anything to a vendor (merchant) until you are SURE you can’t get a better price from the Lion Trading Post.

Some of the stuff you get even in the starter zones is seriously valuable. The vendor will offer you a few coppers for it.

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Dont go into this game thinking itll be like the other games youve played or youll have a bad time.

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

Posted by: Battledoll.1803

Battledoll.1803

Don’t do dungeon or fractals until you are Lvl 80 >_<

Posted by: Obtuse.1504

Obtuse.1504

Can you explain a little more?

Also, this good info for a returning player. I only played a couple of months so thanks for this. I’ll look at the sticky too.

Posted by: Battledoll.1803

Battledoll.1803

Also, this good info for a returning player. I only played a couple of months so thanks for this. I’ll look at the sticky too.

I should say exploratory mode of dungeon, story mode should be ok. Now, for exploratory mode, and if you pug, expect some sort of frustration may arise from the group seeing you non-lvl 80. Why they care about Lvl 80 so much? Because, tbh, exploratory mode is HARD and you are expected to max your level and have good gear to complete them. One exception: if the group are friends you know, or they agreed to coach you, then that could be a very nice experience – no problem there. If you join random group, be aware that they can be harsh. If you must, ask them up front if a non-80 would be okay. I saw people just kicked non-80 without notice; yeah that happen quite often…

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

thats false..at least, the poster is biased because they’re 80 and only do speed runs :P thats not to say i’m any different, but when I was lvling I would do AC exp at lv35. You will most likely have a hard time finding a group who will take u, but u can always start ur own post, somethin like ‘lvl80 not required.’ non-80 groups have a higher chance of failure at the spider queen though, thats only cause most of them are noobs and not properly geared.

Arun Kar

Posted by: Delmain.5167

Delmain.5167

thats false..at least, the poster is biased because they’re 80 and only do speed runs :P thats not to say i’m any different, but when I was lvling I would do AC exp at lv35. You will most likely have a hard time finding a group who will take u, but u can always start ur own post, somethin like ‘lvl80 not required.’ non-80 groups have a higher chance of failure at the spider queen though, thats only cause most of them are noobs and not properly geared.

Its mostly because players stand in the red circle or get too close, get immobilized by the spider queen’s web attack, have no way to remove the immobilize and THEN get hit with the poison aoe. Reinforces the “Stay out of red circles” rule too.