PVE Main class?

PVE Main class?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Spie.5024

Spie.5024

Hello Guys,

I’m looking for a class to do mainly PVE on.

Key things I like:

-> Dungeons (Mostly PUG’s)

->Getting 100% Map completion

-> Jumping puzzles

-> Killing veterans and harder content aswell as just cleaving my way trough trash & farming mobs for fun.

What I generally enjoy in classes MMO’s:

- Being Very mobile (Getting from point A to B quickly)

- Agile, fast paced combat, be it either by fast animations or low cool downs

- I prefer putting out consistent damage, rather than nuking for 1-2 spells, and then having to wait for my BIG spells to come off Cooldown (Rather put out consistent damage)

- Given the point above, I don’t like it when for example I have to wait to aggro the next mob in an area because I’m waiting for my “rotation” to come back up. I prefer smooth & fast paced gameplay that has little downtime and no spikes in damage. As in I rather I have 5k damage consecutively, all the time then having 1-2 spells hit for 20k and then having to wait for 30 second’s before I can do that rotation again..

What I dislike and want to avoid:

-> Being really slow, lackluster mobility

-> Relying on that one big nuke to come off cool down.

-> Having to rely on other people to tank for me in harder content.

-> Slow casting spells or attacks..

So basically looking for a highly mobile, fast paced class for PVE (dungeons & 100% map completion, achievement hunting) that I can use later, to gather (love crafting) & farm money trough dungeons etc for my legendaries.

Eventually I’ll get into pvp and world v world aswell (both roaming and zerging look like fun but given my need for speed, I guess i’ll be a roamer), so if you could keep that in mind aswell, that’d be great but for the moment being I’m focussing on PVE.

Apologies for the wall of text, but if I’m expecting some suggestions on a subjective question as, what class would you recommend me, I figured I had to give you something (information) to work with / base yourself on?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Spie

(edited by Spie.5024)

PVE Main class?

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

D/D elementalist and swap out for S/F for dungeons and Staff for the big boss battles. The Ride the Lightning skills has some nice applications in several jumping puzzles as well and almost all of the D/D skills are instant cast with consistent damage healing and buffs.

PVE Main class?

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

What you’re looking for is greatsword/hammer warrior. This is one of the meta PvE setups for good reason. Tough, lots of damage and CC, and some of the best mobility in the game. Great for WvW as well (just switch out your zerk gear for knights.)

Ele is not what you’re looking for. Too squishy and “stuck waiting for the rotation to come back around” is the class in a nutshell. Trust me, go with warrior, it won’t do you wrong.

PVE Main class?

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

GS warrior, Sw/P thief

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

PVE Main class?

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Why do people who never played ele seriously, that they are squishy. That is a myth. They are not and they can have much more tank-like abillity’s then most classes, only being outmatched by warrior and guardian, but still have a big kitten nal of big nukes.

I think that the speed boost is very good for what OP is looking for on the ele, with the right traits and gear you can be very tanky, without offering much DPS. However, both warriors and guardians are pretty slow in fights where a DD,SD,SF setup on an ele is very fast. The attunement switching means you never have skills on cooldown. Stoon’s advice is good, but with three notes.

a: make sure you use your traits and skills for a good solid build.
b: instead of switching weapons (you need to be out of combat cause you cant swap) you could go s/d all the way. s/d is a bit lower on DPS and more protective then d/d, but due to the longer range it is more valuable for a mobile player. This also means it is pretty valid in dungeons as well. personally I think that scepter /focus is too protective in dungeons and I prefer getting my protection from my traits and utility skills.
c: Staff is the most efficient weapon in world events, but it is very slow on casting times. Besides that, it doesn’t matter to be effective, you get your reward anyways. So going sd or sf is fine too.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

PVE Main class?

Posted by: noobgood.8762

noobgood.8762

Thief is the class you are looking for. Very mobile, super-fast animations, able to dodge almost all the time. No cooldowns (that’s right, ZERO) and able to deal BOTH consistent and burst spike damage. You can permanently blind all mobs up to elite level and facetank them while laughing. Additionaly, you have stealth to reach some tricky spots in open world + a spamable teleport skill on your shortbow. PM me if you need build advice.

PVE Main class?

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Warrior with GS+Axe/Mace, 30 25 0 0 15. You can swap Mace for Sword when fighting bosses. Fast Hands makes your swap CD be 5 secs instead of 10, so endless rotation of awesome DPS.

PVE Main class?

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

Why do people who never played ele seriously, that they are squishy. That is a myth.

I’ve been playing ele as my main since beta. I think I know what I’m talking about. They’re squishy, plain and simple.

OP stated repeatedly that he doesn’t want to be waiting around for cooldowns or rotations. Even with 30 in Arcana, that’s what ele is about.

Seriously I love ele, I wouldn’t have anything else as my main. But the class is not what the OP is looking for based on their post.

PVE Main class?

noobgood.8762

Why do people who never played ele seriously, that they are squishy. That is a myth.

I’ve been playing ele as my main since beta. I think I know what I’m talking about. They’re squishy, plain and simple.

OP stated repeatedly that he doesn’t want to be waiting around for cooldowns or rotations. Even with 30 in Arcana, that’s what ele is about.

Seriously I love ele, I wouldn’t have anything else as my main. But the class is not what the OP is looking for based on their post.

PVE Main class?

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Ignore the above. You want engineer. Engineer is god for all PvE content and they’re especially top in pretty much all the criteria you mentioned. No one rips through stuff like an engineer does.

Also, engineer vs jumping puzzle = GG.

PVE Main class?

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Absolutely Engineer.

• Perma Swiftness, what’s not mobile about that?
  • Pug friendly, your highest DPS option can be used at 1500 Range if you’re in a bad group.
  • Fast animations with an active playstyle.
  • Can carry bad PUGs through good DPS and vuln/might stacking.
  1. They aren’t very good for WvW
  2. Funneled into grenades or bombs to make a contribution, and grenades especially are awkward to use with every skill ground targetted.
Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

(edited by Flissy.4093)

PVE Main class?

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

I will say Ranger. It is a consistent damage profession rather than nuke based. Rangers have quite decent mobility. You will always have a bear pet to tank for you if you decide to swap it in. Other than longbow, most of the weapon sets are fast paced. However you won’t put out the highest raw damage like the warrior or thief.

PVE Main class?

Spie.5024

Ignore the above. You want engineer. Engineer is god for all PvE content and they’re especially top in pretty much all the criteria you mentioned. No one rips through stuff like an engineer does.

Hmm I have a couple of questions about Engineer:

A. What traits / weapons(sigils) / Armor (runes) should I use?

B. Is engineer really that good in dungeons as I mostly hear good things about them in PVP/wvw but not that much in PVE? Got any recommendations on what I have to learn about Engineer to be good in PVE?

Are they good for doing like high level fractals for example?

C. Does race make a difference for engineer? Any recommendations so I don’t have to re-roll later cause I miss something essential? I was thinking Asura due to the fact that they are small for JP and also due to the fact that heir hobosacks aren’t that big?

Thanks for your advice!

PVE Main class?

Carpboy.7145

B. Is engineer really that good in dungeons as I mostly hear good things about them in PVP/wvw but not that much in PVE? Got any recommendations on what I have to learn about Engineer to be good in PVE?

C. Does race make a difference for engineer? Any recommendations so I don’t have to re-roll later cause I miss something essential? I was thinking Asura due to the fact that they are small for JP and also due to the fact that heir hobosacks aren’t that big?

Thanks for your advice!

For leveling just stack power, precision and crit dmg with bomb kit. Youll nuke groups of mobs so fast and bomb #4 esentially makes you invincible for 4 sec. Stick a minor sigil of bloodlust on your rifle, you can buy one off the TP for like 55 copper

Lyss The Shadow

PVE Main class?

Spie.5024

Thanks for your advice!

For leveling just stack power, precision and crit dmg with bomb kit. Youll nuke groups of mobs so fast and bomb #4 esentially makes you invincible for 4 sec. Stick a minor sigil of bloodlust on your rifle, you can buy one off the TP for like 55 copper

Oh I was asking more about end game gear, what I should focus on for dungeons and map clearing :-)

PVE Main class?

Carpboy.7145

Thanks for your advice!

Oh I was asking more about end game gear, what I should focus on for dungeons and map clearing :-)

30/30/0/0/10 or 30/30/0/10/0 for vigor. Same thing, all berserker gear. Learn to use active defense like blocks,blinds,evades,interrupts,reflects instead of absorbing hits with tanky stats like healing power and toughness.

Lyss The Shadow

PVE Main class?

Spie.5024

Thanks for your advice!

30/30/0/0/10 or 30/30/0/10/0 for vigor. Same thing, all berserker gear. Learn to use active defense like blocks,blinds,evades,interrupts,reflects instead of absorbing hits with tanky stats like healing power and toughness.

Allright cheers! Got any recommendations as to what to use in terms of sigils and runes on my berserker gear? Scholar runes?

PVE Main class?

Posted by: Stompy.1387

Stompy.1387

Oh jesus, these people think that they are giving good advice. Let me set you straight:

You say you want mobility. Sure, engis get perma swiftness, but hey, EVERY class does if they build for it, so you shouldn’t base your class choice around swiftness. That said, mobility comes from movement skills, which engis have very little of. The classes with the best movement skills are Warriors, Thieves, and Elementalists, with warriors winning over longer distances, and thieves over shorter. Ele skills seem to move you around a lot in the fight, but have less respectable distances when it comes down to out of combat traveling.

Next, you said you wanted agile, fast paced combat. Of the three, warrior is the slowest, as some of your best DPS skills come at the cost of having to stand in place for three seconds (Hundred Blades). Elementalist combat, at least to me can almost seem frenzied, as you’re managing a total of 20 weapon skills, as compared to the 10 of most other classes, but it will give you an agile, fast paced feeling, as a lot of those skills are very fast and move you around. Thieves, on the other hand, generally stick to one weapon set per boss (only 5 skills) and you will probably only ever use 3 of them per boss, but Thieves have no cooldowns on weapon skills; instead, they have Initiative, which is somewhat like an energy bar that is used by all skills. Thieves do have the most dodges in the game, and need to use them, because they are probably the squishiest class in the game.

With any of these classes, you don’t need to worry about your big nuke coming off cooldown, as said big nuke for thieves is on a 3 second “cooldown” required by revealed debuff, around 8 seconds for a warriors 100b, and eles tend to just use a ton of skills to deal constant damage (unless you’re running staff ele, which, while is the classes best choice for DPS, involves nothing more than fire 1 and fire 2).

Now, for the things you like;

For jumping puzzles, the class matters very little. Warriors and eles have access to leaps which can occasionally skip a few jumps, but that’s not how you’re supposed to get through the JPs. Race DOES matter, as it can be VERY hard to tell how far/high you’re jumping on charrs and norns. Between the rest, although Asura are the smallest, it can sometimes be weird to have a very low camera angle. My opinion is that you should choose which one you think has the best looking armor between these three.

For 100% map complete, thieves are probably the best as you can use stealth to sneak past all those mobs and grab your skill points without having to fight the veterans around them (saves a ton of time!) but if that isn’t your style, warriors can just facetank all those enemies and bash their faces in anyways.

continued in next post.

PVE Main class?

Stompy.1387

Now, here comes the biggest and most important part of your choice; dungeons. Dungeons really are the main point of PvE, so take this part of the post the most seriously. Each of the three classes I’ve mentioned are equally useful in dungeons, all for different reasons.

The number one thing you have to worry about for dungeons? DPS, hands down. Once you’ve played a path through a few times, surviving is no longer a question, and you only worry about how fast you can get through it. In a coordinated group, eles are your best choice for DPS. Most dungeon encounters involve a strategy called stacking, which means you aggro the mob, then get out of their line of sight so they have to run over to you. This naturally bundles all the enemies into a corner, allowing your AoE’s and cleaves to hit every enemy at the same time.

This comes with a great situtation for eles. I know you said you don’t like having to wait for your large nukes to come off cooldown, but it’s worth it here, as usually the time it takes to get from boss to boss in a dungeon is enough for the cooldown of the elite called Fiery Greatsword. While it appears to be a lackluster elite at first glance, it shows it’s true powers when the enemy is against a wall. This is because when you do not have an enemy targetted, the #4 skill, Fiery Rush, leaves a trail of AoE’s behind you that hit once every second or so. When you are against a wall, since you are not moving when you use this skill, all of these AoE’s are stacked in one place, which deals the absolutely insane damage to any enemy. Furthermore, the elite also spawns an extra FGS on the ground, which allows a second teammate (usually the thief) to pick up the FGS and also use the #4 skill, doubling the already insane damage.

Next, we have thieves. Thieves will mainly swap between two weapon sets for the dungeon, being S/P and D/D. With S/P, the number 5 skill allows for permanent blinds on every mob that’s near you, which pretty much means your group takes 0 damage. You said you wanted pug friendly, and that’s about as pug friendly as you can get. With D/D, thieves have the highest single target damage in the game outside of FGS on a wall and certain reflecting situations. You also get the thrill of knowing that if you take a single hit, you’re pretty much dead, but you will have enough dodges available to you that you can dodge every attack that you need to. Lastly, you said that you’d be mainly doing PUG runs, which can be quite painful at times. Thieves access to party wide stealth can help your less skilled players run past mobs much more easily (Arah path 1, anyone?), and stealth ressing can prevent long runs back from the WP.

Lastly, we have warriors. At least one warrior is pretty much a necessity for every dungeon groups, for a few reasons. One of the biggest ones is their utility Banner of Discipline, which, for the entire party, boosts critical chance by a bit AND critical damage by 15%, which is HUGE. Secondly, warriors have great access to party might/fury, which boosts the DPS of the group even further. Finally, the warrior elite Warbanner not only provides permanent fury and might for its uptime, but also revives all downed allies within its radius, which can be very helpful for preventing a group wipe.

This post only scratches the surface of your choices in this situation. Add me in game(Stompy.1387), and I can go much more in depth.

Wow, this is probably my longest post yet on these forums.. had to split into two posts.

PVE Main class?

Stompy.1387

It seems like while I was typing more posts came in. To answer your questions, while the quality of the player makes a much bigger difference than the class they are playing, Engineers are by no means considered good for PvE. They simply lack the damage and group boons that other classes can give out. Secondly, zerker/scholar is best everywhere in PvE, hands down.

PVE Main class?

Carpboy.7145

It seems like while I was typing more posts came in. To answer your questions, while the quality of the player makes a much bigger difference than the class they are playing, Engineers are by no means considered good for PvE. They simply lack the damage and group boons that other classes can give out. Secondly, zerker/scholar is best everywhere in PvE, hands down.

Lol. The meta engi build puts out 8k-9k bomb autos, easily stacks 25vuln, can get up to 18 might for the party, provides long stealth for skipping stuff with smoke bomb and blasts, gives group heals with HT, gives excellent group condi removal through EG and fumigate, and can also give reflects when needed through elixir U. So tell me again why engis are horrible for PVE.

Lyss The Shadow

PVE Main class?

Spie.5024

Lol. The meta engi build puts out 8k-9k bomb autos, easily stacks 25vuln, can get up to 18 might for the party, provides long stealth for skipping stuff with smoke bomb and blasts, gives group heals with HT, gives excellent group condi removal through EG and fumigate, and can also give reflects when needed through elixir U. So tell me again why engis are horrible for PVE.

Carpboy, what is the meta build please?

I’m trying to decide between thief & Engineer..
I’m not sure which one will be better for doing high level fractals & dungeons..

Also what stats, runes & sigils should I use for armor/weapons please(engineer)?

PVE Main class?

Carpboy.7145

I’m not sure which one will be better for doing high level fractals & dungeons..

Also what stats, runes & sigils should I use for armor/weapons please(engineer)?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/GUIDE-The-Meta-rific-Dungeoneer/first

Change utilities on the fly depending on the situation (except bomb kit, always keep that). Weapon should be rifle, or P/S for the extra blast finisher you get from shield.
Any profession use berserker gear scholar runes for PVE content. Sigils use force/bloodlust/night depending

Lyss The Shadow

PVE Main class?

noobgood.8762

Thief and engineer play very differently. Try to test both in PvP to see which class gameplay you like better.

PVE Main class?

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

30/30/0/10/0, full zerker gear w/ Scholar, Traveler, or Traveler x4/Water x2. Sigils should be Force, Strength, Battle, Malice, or Frailty, take your pick. Use Giver stat P/S as your equipped weapons but you should be throwing grenades most of the time.

The gist of engineer play is that the traits Steel Packed Powder (explosions inflict vulnerability for 5 seconds) and Precise Sights (50% chance to inflict vulnerability for 3 seconds on any critical hit) stack up absurdly well considering that the Grenade Kit allows you to throw THREE grenades per second. That means your auto-attack could potentially put six stacks of vuln on your target from the very first toss, and it just keeps stacking up.

On top of that, the fire field + blast finisher combo interaction gives everyone in the area 3 stacks of might for 20 seconds, and engineers have plenty of both. It is possible for a single engineer to sustain 25 stacks of vuln and 12-15 stacks of might on the entire party solo, while still outputting massive raw DPS.

These aren’t immediately obvious combos so a lot of casuals will tell you that engineer is bad. This is entirely due to a lack of understanding of the class and has nothing whatsoever to do with their objective strength. It is certainly much easier to get on your warrior, press all the buttons on your skillbar, then do Hundred Blades on a random mob and be like LOOK AT ALL THE DAMAGE I JUST DID BEST CLASS EVER than it is to actually trying to quantify the benefits of stacking up the effects of multiple skills and traits.

This is pretty much exactly what I mean. Engineer is like the best support class in the game and their damage output is far from terrible. Most of the classes in this game can output DPS reasonably close to each other, the outliers being mesmers and elementalists, who currently have super borked DPS output for some reason.

(edited by Guanglai Kangyi.4318)