PvE: I can't see what I'm supposed to dodge.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Skill animations are way too strong in PvE. I can’t see my own skill effects let alone the enemy’s :P

So how do you know how to dodge in PvE dungeons? Looking at animations is impossible.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

big red circle thingy. also, check the mobs for animation that precedes a certain attack. like the lieutenant in AC explo, he’ll raise his hands before he does the “come over here!” pull and spin. personally, i haven’t seen/anticipated it well enough yet, but people say you can dodge his pull.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: alfista.6094

alfista.6094

Most big attacks have long wind-up with special effects going on, so they’re pretty easy to spot. Some are harder tho. You just have to learn as you go.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

lorazcyk.8927

Oh yeah, red circles are obvious, I should have said that ^^ I meant for attacks that don’t have red circles.

I want to learn when to dodge but I simply can’t SEE a thing, because of all the animations around me (from my party and the enemies)

Ex: did sorrow’s embrace last night and the end boss would pull to him, but I couldn’t see when he was going to do it. (If I could see him do it, I would be able to dodge, but because there’s so many skill effects at once I can’t even see an inch in front of me, so I can’t see what to dodge). I don’t think this boss had any voice tells.

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

Posted by: Bluestone.7106

Bluestone.7106

Attacks that don’t have red circles are meant to be extremely difficult to time.

My homeworld is Blackgate.
I am a GW2 player in New Zealand.
Check me out on the GW2 wiki.

Posted by: KitaYumi.7048

KitaYumi.7048

I find it is more often than not a question of luck instead of timing.
Like the OP, I am often having trouble seeing what is happening. Most of the time I can not even see the enemy, just one giant ball of special effects.

Posted by: Acme Tux Serum Six.8520

Acme Tux Serum Six.8520

The spell effects in this game are beyond obnoxious. When you turn them down to minimum, they should barely be there, instead of just losing a few pixels of glow. I liek to see what’s going on around me, not be blinded by 20 effects going off simultaneously, completely obscuring my view of the actual fight.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

@Excretus, This section of the forum is bout players helping players. Although you have the right to have a negative opinion bout the game, it is not helping the OP. These kind of remarks should be in general game discussion.

To OP: When it comes to pulling to end bosses I think there is not really a way to tell when they are doing it, I usually dodge backwards after they pulled me so I’m out of the melee range. In my opinion the dodging of single attacks isn’t working nor needed. The times I dodge are when I’m in an effect or red circle. With an effect I mean for example when your in a flame jet. it is hard to see it comming, but when your in one it’s best to dodge the hell out of it

Besides dodging I found that normally moving helps a lot. It doesn’t have to be very good coordinated movements, just don’t stand still and half of the bullets, projectiles and other ouchie-things will miss.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Siam.1278

Siam.1278

Skill animations are way too strong in PvE. I can’t see my own skill effects let alone the enemy’s :P

So how do you know how to dodge in PvE dungeons? Looking at animations is impossible.

I have to agree that dodging is a bit hard especially when you have all those particle effects on the mob and you can’t see its action. My tip: if the enemy is melee, just dodge immediately when it gets in range and don’t wait for the animation as it maybe too late by then. If the enemy is range, just run around as dodging a lot will expend your endurance that can be used to avoid stronger attacks.

big red circle thingy. also, check the mobs for animation that precedes a certain attack. like the lieutenant in AC explo, he’ll raise his hands before he does the “come over here!” pull and spin. personally, i haven’t seen/anticipated it well enough yet, but people say you can dodge his pull.

Dodging his pull is 100% avoidable, just dodge when he’s about to lower his sword/dagger.

lorazcyk.8927

if the enemy is melee, just dodge immediately when it gets in range and don’t wait for the animation as it maybe too late by then. If the enemy is range, just run around as dodging a lot will expend your endurance that can be used to avoid stronger attacks.

Yeah, I kite a lot already, it’s maddening having to go around in circles all the time.
On the last boss of sorrow’s embrace explorable, thankfully he barely did any damage, but if he was strong I wouldn’t have been able to stay alive. When he pulled me I dodged backwards right away, I tried to keep a close eye on his animation so I could dodge without getting pulled, but I just couldn’t see anything.

If I’m 1v1 against a Troll or Giant I can dodge pretty well because their animations aren’t too strong, but if I’m against something that has stronger animations I can’t see a thing so I can’t dodge.

Posted by: Acme Tux Serum Six.8520

Acme Tux Serum Six.8520

@Excretus, This section of the forum is bout players helping players. Although you have the right to have a negative opinion bout the game, it is not helping the OP. These kind of remarks should be in general game discussion.

Yeah, you’re right, agreeing with the poster of the topic is so much more inappropriate than saying something like “it’s luck,” a super-helpful comment.

Posted by: capnflummox.3082

capnflummox.3082

his comment was about the topic of this thread: a hard time telling when attacks are coming due to various game elements.

also, by your criteria, the OP also had a negative comment.

don’t be a feminine hygiene product. or go ahead, just do it at home.

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Dodging is difficult to time, I just tend to use a lot of good solid evading skills often lol as often as the cds , just keep moving as much as you can while dealing the damage you need to. Other than that I run in circles at long range lol it sometimes makes it easy for ranged players, ESP if you don’t have the aggro so u end up being last one standing and then they rush you… XD

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

People actually dodge in this game? I thought I was the only one.

Seriously, I once soloed that giant boss in Harathi Hinterlands even though there were literally a dozen players fighting him, because everyone else died on the first stomp. Then they respawned, came back, and immediately died again despite having just watched me dodge the giant’s super obvious attacks for five minutes.

That was a long kitten fight.

Posted by: Temper.7265

Temper.7265

To Original post,

This is mostly only an issue with zerged DEs,best just stick to ranged at these events and keep on the move,saving evasion for when you really need it.

lorazcyk.8927

True, but I’d like to learn on dungeon bosses (when there’s only 4-5 players in the team), but I guess it can’t be helped then ^^
Thanks everyone.
Too bad I can’t use this great mechanic where it matters.