PvE solo - Y do ppl say warrior is ez/strong?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Kamatsu.8206

Kamatsu.8206

Hi,

Wasn’t sure if this should go in Warrior forums or here, as it is a question relating to warrior’s… but not really asking after builds or such.

What I am wondering about is why do I keep reading from ppl about how easy Warrior’s are in PvE, how OP they are, best survivability, etc – when in my limited experience I have not found that at all.

And yes, I know I am discussing low level gameplay – but it’s all I have to work with/on right now. Also, I take a fair amount of time to level… so just getting to 80 to get all traits, etc to compare… is not really that feasible. So at the level I’m talking about… skills are limited & no traits available.

What got me really question this is the experiences I recently had in leveling 2 human characters and how vastly different they were. One was a guardian and the other was a warrior – I leveled both up to lvl 20 by doing Queensdale low level hearts & DE’s, mapping all the cities and working on other race’s starting area’s.

At this point I went back to finish Queensdale off, and this is probably the biggest point where I noticed how different things were. On my guardian I had little troubles doing the final hearts on the map, while on my warrior I was struggling to stay alive doing the exact same fights – this is doing the heart around where the Shadow Behemoth (sp?) event happens, so is a lvl 15 heart.

- My guardian was wearing lvl 10 white +power armor (ie npc shop bought)
- My warrior was wearing lvl 20 white +power/precision armor (npc shop bought)
- Both were using npc shop bought lvl 20 weapons
- I was using Mace/Shield on my guardian (yes, it’s the self-healing setup)
- I tried sword/shield, axe/shield/ axe/mace & 2-handed hammer on my warrior
- I did have regen shouts on guardian, but never used them
- Warrior was mainly signets… I did use FGJ (the perma-might shout)
- I tried both healing sig & the starting heal on my warrior.

It just seems to baffle me somewhat, as I keep reading how great Warrior’s are in PvE, and how survivable, etc… yet I can’t say I have experience that. My guardian with worse gear & lower health dealt much better with both normal & vet mobs than the Warrior did.

Yes, I understand that the guardian has 2 sources of constant healing – mace heals and virtue-of-healing compared to Warrior’s 1 source of healing (skill #6)… but the difference has been so vastly different – guardian mowing through fights with me hardly having to worry about death, compared to the warrior which was constantly getting knocked to low health or dying.

Does the increased passive healing the guardian get with mace make that huge of a difference? As it seems the F2 healing virtue is not that much, but then again.. Healing Signet on warrior doesn’t seem to heal for all that much either (either passively or when actively used.. in fact it wasn’t even getting me back to half health when used when I was nearly dead).

I’ve continued on with my warrior & guardian in mapping out the starter zones… and my experience has been consistent – my warrior struggles in fights, constantly looses lots of health, I have to dodge roll everything and run around in circles either waiting for passive healing or healing skill to get off cd vs my guardian who face-tanks everything with no trouble. Guardian only has issue’s vs groups really…

To be honest, it’s been fairly frustrating and annoying to play my warrior. Both heavy armor classes with melee options… yet the one ppl seem to say is so good and easy, is the one I am struggling the most with.

Maybe this means Warrior is just not for me? Would be a shame, as I actually really like warrior longbow vs guardian scepter… but longbow is really only good vs ranged enemies or when in a group and others can keep the melee enemies occupied. Well, at least imo… seems a bit silly to use bow when enemies right in your face.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Hey man!
If you want, I can teach you all about classes and what they are all capable of doing in combat. Everyone has different experiences and in my opinion I don’t think Warrior and Guardian are the easiest to level. It’s whatever people like and know best.

If you can get in game right now, I can show you and help you out.
There is a place called ((Heart of Mists)) which you are boosted to lvl80 and have ALL Skills/Traits/Stats unlocked so that you can test them out and see which classes and builds work best for you.

Get online now and I’ll message you in game! =)

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Warrior self sustain and damage come largely from their traits at lvl 80. Comparing their performance at level 20 to what they can do at 80 is like comparing apples to oranges.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

All Classes are powerful.
It’s how you play them and how you build them that makes the difference.

=P

Posted by: Leo.2641

Leo.2641

Get to 80 first then we will talk

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

[…] – my warrior struggles in fights, constantly looses lots of health, I have to dodge roll everything and run around in circles either waiting for passive healing or healing skill to get off cd vs my guardian who face-tanks everything with no trouble. Guardian only has issue’s vs groups really…

Hi Kamatsu,
welcome to GW2 and the world of Tyria! I guess you fell into a popular misconception many new players do. The part I quoted leads to the main issue here, I think. What you describe (highlited the important part) ist exactly what GW2 combat is about- dishing out as much damage as you can while avoiding incoming damage by moving, dodging and the usage of skills that provide blinds, blocks and knocks. Standing in one place and “tanking” mobs is (though sometimes possible) not the intention of this combat system.
Since your experience is -no offense!- very limited, keep in mind that low level open world play has nothing to do with level 80 endgame content such as dungeons or fractals. Though it’s possible to build ultra-devensive toons (check youtube, there are videos e.g. of “no dodge arah” partys) playing that way is the most boring thing in this game I can imagine. Not to mention everything takes much longer than neccesary.

Some tipps for getting more used to your warrior:
1. try to melee as much as possible
2. if you’re already comfortable with an encounter, melt those foes away using a Greatsword or an Axe in your mainhand, as those are a warriors strongest dps weapons.
3. Dodging is vital, thus you shouldnt waste your endurance when it’s not neccessery. Nothing more frustrating then getting stomped to the ground due to not being able to dodge, since you wasted your endurance on dodging low-damage attacks.
4. if you’re facing troubles try to figure out what exactly it is (somekind of special hard hitting attack? conditions? small but constant amounts of incoming dmg?) and think about how to counter it. For example: wielding a Mace in your main hand and a sword or a shield in your off-hand gives you access to quite a lot of blocks. An off-hand Mace gives you a powerfull knock-down. Play with weapon combinations to find out which one helps best against what foe. And when you start getting used to it- see #2

P.S.: I play both, a guard and warrior, and I have a blast with both of ’em

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Warrior self sustain and damage come largely from their traits at lvl 80. Comparing their performance at level 20 to what they can do at 80 is like comparing apples to oranges.

Yeah .. they are the only class i think, that can buff themself solo to 100% crit-chance and have nearly perma swiftness.

Where i always notice that a warrior is solo much faster is when i farm solomobs for T6 mats (mostly Arctodus in Frotsgorge). Now as Axe Warrior you don’t need to look for any cooldowns of skills since you autoattack is you main damage, and 2 has a shot colldown of 6s. So mostly i start with #2 and then autoattack and when i’ve killed the mob and run to the next #2 is mostly just back from cooldown .. so thats 6s per mob.

Now i take my Elementalist .. i need Dragontooth, Ring of Fire and Phoenix mostly to kill the same mob … that goes fast on the first mob .. but next you have cooldowns (12 and 15s with traits) on your best damge skills, so you need to fizzle around with stuff that is not that fast. Lightning hammer is good but also timeout and if you normally you can’t use the second one since you’ve already run away from that place.

Guardian .. you can bring down whirling wrath to 8s .. but still slower. However maybe faster in special situation against a lot of mobs and a veteran with “save yourself”

Ranger .. hmmmm .. no .. damage is simply too low even with sword because you don’t have any good selfbuffs.

Necro .. fast with dagger an damage well to support your damage .. however again the cooldown on the wells slows you down.

Mesmer .. naahh .. really not .. cooldowns .. and if your Berserker Phantasm misses the mob your damage is totally down.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

The two highest solo DPS classes are warrior and engineer. Warrior is easier to manage in general because he doesn’t require as much skill flipping to keep stuff up, he can just trait Forceful Greatsword and take signets to pump stats. Engie will reach higher peak DPS but it takes a bit more work.