Requesting advice for a pair of new players.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Urdhgag.2450

Urdhgag.2450

Hello, nice to meet You all.

I had a big break from GW 2 – have played engineer before – so i know some basics BUT right now i would like to come back to play this nice game WITH a new player. Let’s be hones here – I (and my partner) are traditionalists (“old geezers”) when it comes to roles in MMORPGs. As much as i remember that in GW 2 there are no roles like dps/healer/tank I would like to ask You if there is possibility to “beat” every single instance of PVE of this game by the two of us, and if so than in what setup?

For example i have been thinking of a pair made of guardian and warrior (guardian with mace and focus) who would be specced to heal (virtue of resolve traits, mace flailing and mark healing way) with shout-healing warrior. But since the blind was fixed i thought of two thieves with constant Black Powder and Smoke Screen (both of them specced to have low cooldown on deception, both something/pistol).

What would be Your ideas for a pair of new/old players trying to find their niche in the world of Guild Wars 2?

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

Well some instances have been solo’d and they are by Mesmer, Thief, Guardian and Engineers as far as i am aware, i know thats not what you asked but it might be food for thought.

if this was a traditional MMO What are both your roles you would like to take on? i think thats the first question.

as for every instance i doubt it, Arah i don’t think can be solo’d / duo’d at least not right now but i would love to be proved wrong by anyone! and fractals (a type of dungoen basically) definatly not.

so, what roles would you both usually take on to undertake the task of duo’ing everything?

Urdhgag.2450

Tank and healer – for it usually did the trick, but as far as i understood the usual tactics do not apply in this game. I thought of perhaps shout warrior as a tank (for as far as i understood he has the greatest survavibility in this game alone) combined with class that would heal him as a “health-battery” like guardian or water specced staff elementalist.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

My boyfriend and I have played through the entire PvE, personal stories and 99% of the Living Story content as a tag team, me on engi and him on his thief. Neither of us were specced / traited for tanking OR healing specifically, and we managed fine just doing our engi and thief thing.

I think most, if not all of, PvE can be soloed if that’s what you want, but I find it funner with a friend (in this case boyfriend). As a team of 2, we hardly ever had any problems, including when we were new players.

I also have a slightly larger circle of friends for dungeons, fractals, more challenging living world stuff, or socially/casually levelling alts.

But to answer your original question, while a warrior/guardian tag team might faceroll through PvE slightly faster, but is that really what matters? With two people, you will be absolutely fine with any class combination.

So my advice is to play the classes that each one of you likes best instead of trying to optimize for damage output or tankability.

(edited by Pixelpumpkin.4608)

DrixTrix.7168

The Guardian actually has the most staying power in this game the warrior is kind of a DPS machine with good survive-ability as far as i understand from the fractals (lvl 57) i do.

i would personally definitely take a guardian and probably an engineer they have a lot of staying power and aides they can both stack fields and have very good combinations, sounds a bit odd but that’s definitely what i would do take healing turret for a little more support you will both have pushbacks and a pull for adds (if engineer uses the right toolkit for the pull)

thats what i would do best way to test is to make a few of the classes take them into the mists and practice on the dummies with your fields and see what boons, conditions and for what durations you can at least find the best classes to compliment each other in this regard.

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Oh, also, before GW2 shipped, we had this long discussion about doing one tanky and one ranged DPS class, and we actually had a bit of a fight over which one of us would get to be the ranger and which one had to be the tank. Now 12 months later, neither of us plays a ranger. My engi uses ranged weapons almost exclusively and he runs D/S, P/P, D/D or whatever he feels like on any given day.

It just turned out to not matter.

Just forget everything you ever knew about Tank/Healer/DPS roles and you’ll realise that the problem you think you have isn’t one. Then enjoy the ultimate freedom of playing any style you want. If/when you get to harder content like dungeons/fractals or PvP, you can always revisit your build.

Urdhgag.2450

Okay – thank You kindly for all the feedback and help – any of You kind men and women of GW 2 can tell me too if blind works against aoe attacks? (ergo monster casting an aoe skill is blinded).

Again – thanks for all the help!

DrixTrix.7168

it works for the initial hit, not the full channel of the AOE though, i dont think they have changed this since i tested it

Pixel, do you mean a thief? the engie cant use D/S or D/D its rifle, shield or pistol :P

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Hah!

My engi uses ranged weapons almost exclusively and he runs D/S, P/P, D/D or whatever he feels like on any given day.

He being the aforementioned boyfriend with his thief – my engi is a female character. I realise now that that wasn’t super clear, unless you read it in the context of my earlier post.

DrixTrix.7168

or maybe i just need to go and re-learn my English lol.

Pixelpumpkin.4608

:D

Posted by: nopoet.2960

nopoet.2960

What would be Your ideas for a pair of new/old players trying to find their niche in the world of Guild Wars 2?

Warrior & Elementalist. Lots of different ways to play that combo and should appeal to the traditionalist in you .

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Per above, the one very strong aspect that you can use to a great advantage when playing “tag team” is putting together combo’s as they can generate some very powerful effects.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

Hello, nice to meet You all.

I had a big break from GW 2 – have played engineer before – so i know some basics BUT right now i would like to come back to play this nice game WITH a new player. Let’s be hones here – I (and my partner) are traditionalists (“old geezers”) when it comes to roles in MMORPGs. As much as i remember that in GW 2 there are no roles like dps/healer/tank I would like to ask You

- if there is possibility to “beat” every single instance of PVE of this game by the two of us, and if so than in what setup?

Instance, nope. Most other PvE content, yes. In fact it can be solo’d most of the time

- For example i have been thinking of a pair made of guardian and warrior (guardian with mace and focus) who would be specced to heal (virtue of resolve traits, mace flailing and mark healing way) with shout-healing warrior. But since the blind was fixed i thought of two thieves with constant Black Powder and Smoke Screen (both of them specced to have low cooldown on deception, both something/pistol).

The guardian with mace/focus and using shouts is a great support tool for a group, and would do fairly well in a duo setup. Just know he won’t be the sole support guy. He will have to do the fair share of dps too, so using either a sword/torch, or greatsword would be good for the 2nd weapon set. As for the healing warrior…nope. If you really must use a warrior for your duo setup, go either a perma-stun/banner setup or a might stacking shout warrior and go cookiecutter greatsword. Honestly, if you have such a strong supportive guard and can get great with those shouts and blocks, ect…you could have your other guy run thief or ele and really smack out the dps while still being pretty survivable. If all else fails, make one of them a mesmer and smash your face on the keyboard. Nets the same results

If you are dead-set on sticking to a small team to run around with, at least find another small team of people to tag along close to so that you can watch how they interact with the fights. Seeing it done from the outside helps clarify a lot how people handle those situations and I’ve also found it helps you notice telegraphed attacks better too that you might normally miss when you’re tunnel-visioned when fighting it yourself.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Posted by: The Sixteenth.2561

The Sixteenth.2561

Arah p1 or p2 (the one with the abomination boss) have already been soloed by mesmer warrior and guardian as far as I know of… Mesmer-guardian is a very good duo if you coordinate well, but why not just take pick up for dungeon ? They usually are not that bad, sometime they are but, it’s not as often as that.

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

As nopoet said, the first tag team that came to mind was Warrior and Elementalist. The Warrior has an incredible array of combo finishers, and the Elementalist has an equally good selection of combo fields.

The warrior can spec to be tank-ish, and the Ele can spec toward support for healing, if you’re really stuck on being “old geezers” about it.

PS: I don’t consider myself a traditionalist when it comes to the three roles, but I want my GW healer/protection monk back in the worst way, so I sympathize. :P