Warrior or Guardian (PVE/FUN)

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Siamak.8126

Siamak.8126

Hey guys I just came back to the game after a break and wanna make a new character, for some reason I can not decide between Warrior and Guardian. I’ll be using Greatsword most of the time and after playing each Guardian’s GS feels smoother/more fun but on warrior i get to Dual Wield axes/swords, etc.. I can Have a rifle and Long bow but then when I switch to guardian I feel the Sword and shield feels really flashy and fun, the it comes to Health. on Warrior I have a more health. now I’ve been switching back and forth between these 2 classes and reading several topics in regards to both and still can’t decide which one to Main and stick with cuz i really don’t have time to put in alts. my main focus is PVE and maybe sometimes pvp on the side.

Posted by: frankylinares.7894

frankylinares.7894

If your focus is pave warrior is definitely the stronger of the two with the health and damage guardians can also be very strong but lack health but guards are pretty beneficial to party’s in the end its what you enjoy the most.

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

It’s logical you can’t really pick. Both look the same, both have plenty of weaponchoices, both are well beloved and well-rounded classes, both use the greatsword you love so much in meta-builds and both do around the same DPS (in group-situations.) What sets them appart the most in my opinion:

Warrior is mainly offensive support, which means that for almost every fight you’ll be using the same utilities, swapping out maybe your off-hand weapon. Warrior also has one of the best, if not best, mobility in game. Guardian is the defensive support counterpart. Every fight requires different defenses (do you need Stability, Condition Removal, Reflects or just some Regen/Protection, you’ve got it) and thus different utilities. On top of that you bring tons of party survival (in DPS and supportbuilds alike) through Blind (Sword 2, Greatsword 3, F1 if traited) and Aegis (Retreat, F3) which is likely why Guardians are a bit squishier (solo active defenses make up for it, but in a team you’re simply a bit squishier.)

I can’t tell you which one you’ll enjoy more, but hopefully the way they differ to me can help you make your choice. I favor my Guardian over my Warrior since I like adjusting to the needs of every fight and enjoy the challange of landing blinds and Aegis at the right times, compared to that Warrior feels a bit simple and too forgiving to be fun.

(edited by Esmee.1067)

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

If you are going to be dual wielding axe or sword for PVE on warrior then I strongly suggest you roll guardian instead.

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Just choose which class you enjoy playing more.

That being said,

Guardian will do more damage in meta.

Guardian is defensive support.

Warrior is offensive support.

It is easier to play a warrior and achieve reasonable success, however, a well played guardian will always be better in PvE.

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Staff guardian makes tagging mob for loot very easy.

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

Staff guardian makes getting kicked from a dungeon very easy

Esmee.1067

Staff guardian makes getting kicked from a dungeon very easy

If you recommend Guardian as main toon ‘just’ for it’s tagging potentional in Open World / WvW Zerg-farming, I’m worried.

Siamak.8126

But in your experience would you say Guardian’s GS is all around better or Warrior’s GS? also same question applies to Sword and Shield as this is the main combination i’ll be using for my character.

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

It depends what you mean by ‘better’. Warrior GS gives an extra evade however you can blind with GS on guardian so you dont have to dodge (blind doesn’t work for some attks though). Warrior GS is their best weapon for mobility, GS on guard lets them pull mobs to them which is quite useful in dungeons. It is a good burst wep for both classes.

Arun Kar

Siamak.8126

Despite the fact that Guardian has lower health, can they build to be durable and also do decent damage in Dungeons and Open world PVE??

Esmee.1067

But in your experience would you say Guardian’s GS is all around better or Warrior’s GS? also same question applies to Sword and Shield as this is the main combination i’ll be using for my character.

In the current meta-builds both Warrior and Guardian use Greatswords. Sword is a popular choice for the Guardian, where-as a Warrior usually runs Axe with their Greatsword since Greatsword is a Power-based weapon and Sword more Condition-based (for non PvE-situations, they’re both amazing mobility and thus sometimes used together.) For both of them Shield are currently in a rather weak position and aren’t used as much. How-ever all this is meta, if you want to use Sword/Shield, find a way to make it work for you.

Despite the fact that Guardian has lower health, can they build to be durable and also do decent damage in Dungeons and Open world PVE??

Both can be build defensive with their traits/gear, the only difference is that Warrior’s durability mainly comes from Passive effects, such as Healing Signets regen and relying on a great healthpool/armor. Their active defence is Whirling (Greatsword 3) if there’s a wall present or you’re low on endurance, it’s basicly another dodge with a bit of damage. Guardian’s survivability can be build for passive, but mainly comes from active abilities. This through either stacking Protection (Hammer can keep it up permanent) and Regeneration or (in PvE) even better Aegis and Blinds.

In short, a bad Warrior is more survivable than a bad Guardian, how-ever a good Guardian will have more tools available than a good Warrior, given them an edge. A Guardian applies the active survivability party-wide how-ever, meaning a Warrior with a decent Guardian will be once again, more survivable. But all in all, the difference isn’t too big.

(edited by Esmee.1067)

Posted by: longshot.1397

longshot.1397

both are incredibly good choices imho. cant argue anything that has already been said. both have pro’s and cons for your play style. Personally the biggest difference is warrior is easier to play than guardian but guardian range is garbage.

Warriors get alot of love from A.Net, lots of changes that impact the gameplay where guardian is very much unchanged, probably due to being designed well in the beginning.

both r welcome in pretty much every part of the game (PvP, WvW and PvE) with varying degrees of success.

in the end, hat you are happy with.. I personally play guardian, a friend plays warrior. we have fun on our respective classes. If you choose and design to META, then you are unlikely to enjoy the game as much as playing something you have fun on.