#1 off putting issue with spvp

in PvP

Posted by: Sir Arthur.8905

Sir Arthur.8905

No matter what improvements or changes are added, it seems nothing can be done to address the high population of borderline cyber-bullies that berate and harass newer or less experienced players.

You can’t even be civil or ask questions, they just respond with things like “cuz u suck.” I’ve seen it happen to others, and it’s happened to me as well. Today, right after such a comment, I got an important call. Tried to leave match and couldn’t, I literally tried everything, and thought it was bugged….

Match ends, but harassment does not. spvp is the only game mode I’ve been where someone has gone out of their way to whisper hate and or ridicule to me after a game, as one of my teammates did after this one. Not for afking or trying to leave, but just general hate and how I should stay in pve.

I’m normally decent enough to carry my weight, and win more often than I lose, but on the off chance ANYTHING goes wrong, you get ripped on by kids with keyboards.

If I was a new player, and this were the first game mode I had played, this would have completely ruined it for me. If that were my impression of how the general player base was, I would cut my losses at $50 and pretty much quit. Fortunately it usually just ruins the spvp game mode for people, and there is always wvw/pve.

As someone who plays mostly pve/wvw, the spvp community makes the game mode feel like a completely separate game/community entirely. All of the changes, and new and returning players and reward tracks are all wasted on the sad minority of kittens that ruin the game mode for others.

Even if verbal abuse reports were more strictly enforced, and we lose some players because they were punished for violating, it would still be way better than hemorrhaging all the players they send away with all their ego rage.

in PvP

Posted by: Darko.5873

Darko.5873

Here’s the thing… PvP players go into solo arena with one goal in mind. To win. Not to “just have fun/hug butterflies/kiss rainbows”. They are in it to win it.
So if their teammate is afking and trying to leave, they will be upset.
Whispering abuse is stupid, pointless and should be reported but keep in mind you are screwing over your team if you are not committed to the match.

all is vain

in PvP

Posted by: revy.4320

revy.4320

No matter what improvements or changes are added, it seems nothing can be done to address the high population of borderline cyber-bullies that berate and harass newer or less experienced players.

You can’t even be civil or ask questions, they just respond with things like “cuz u suck.” I’ve seen it happen to others, and it’s happened to me as well. Today, right after such a comment, I got an important call. Tried to leave match and couldn’t, I literally tried everything, and thought it was bugged….

Match ends, but harassment does not. spvp is the only game mode I’ve been where someone has gone out of their way to whisper hate and or ridicule to me after a game, as one of my teammates did after this one. Not for afking or trying to leave, but just general hate and how I should stay in pve.

I’m normally decent enough to carry my weight, and win more often than I lose, but on the off chance ANYTHING goes wrong, you get ripped on by kids with keyboards.

If I was a new player, and this were the first game mode I had played, this would have completely ruined it for me. If that were my impression of how the general player base was, I would cut my losses at $50 and pretty much quit. Fortunately it usually just ruins the spvp game mode for people, and there is always wvw/pve.

As someone who plays mostly pve/wvw, the spvp community makes the game mode feel like a completely separate game/community entirely. All of the changes, and new and returning players and reward tracks are all wasted on the sad minority of kittens that ruin the game mode for others.

Even if verbal abuse reports were more strictly enforced, and we lose some players because they were punished for violating, it would still be way better than hemorrhaging all the players they send away with all their ego rage.

Not that you are wrong. But I never understood the point in these posts. You are playing a competitive part of the game, it is natural for people to lose their temper. Just don’t give a kitten about it?

in PvP

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

Often going with this is the deliberate afk-ing by players at all skill levels - sometimes they’ll sit silently in the base, casting their skills to convince the game that they’re there, but usually it’s accompanied by "my team sucks I am afk".

It’s still a problem at ’high-end’ soloq (EU top 100?), and will continue to be so as long as there’s no real punishment dished out for it - we really need some bans, because we could stand to lose a limited few currently ’good players’ if it’d help us keep a bunch more who can become as skilled in the future.

in PvP

Posted by: Bazzoong.7145

Bazzoong.7145

1st step: Block and report.

2nd Step: The number 1 thing that needs to be implemented to spvp is that you will be never ever put into the same team with people on your block list.
This would make sure you will not be forced to play with people you do not want to play with, it also would move players of the same social attitude onto the same teams in the long run, good for everyone involved as everyone will get the atmosphere they prefer on their team.

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

This would be fine and all if the majority of new players are polite and humble. But sadly enough thats a rarity aswell.

Everyone is an expert and asking something (nicely) often leads to getting flamed or we.

(edited by Locuz.2651)

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

You know what’s funny? The top players I know (Top 100), are really really nice people. It’s shocking how nice they are.

in PvP

Posted by: NonToxic.9185

NonToxic.9185

I think very few people from the GW2 playerbase would survive a game of pub Dota.

in PvP

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Wherever there’s competition there will be rude, envious, judging people. That’s how it is.

I really don’t care about such whispers, because I know that the person who whispers you goes full kitten. Never go full kitten, really.

Also, I agree 100% with NonToxic. Many people need to grow a thick skin.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/%22Shake_It_Off!%22

(edited by Kraljevo.2801)

in PvP

Posted by: drowze.3709

drowze.3709

Internet tough guys… best not to be too hard // on them, they are probably bullied (or worse) IRL themselves anyways. Be nice, apologize for being bad and wish them a nice day.

Edit: omg, can’t even use hard and the word on in succession, it gets filtered… lol

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I don’t know if GW2’s competitive population is necessarily more juvenile/offensive than other games, but it’s true that it’s a problem. Please continue to block/report true verbal abuse.

Though definitions vary, a good rule of thumb is this:
—“Go back to PvE, scrub:” offensive but just block-worthy
—“Go back to PvE, kittening scrub:” report-worthy

in PvP

Posted by: isolatedchimp.2510

isolatedchimp.2510

Newer players are also guilty of kittenbag behavior as well though, it’s not strictly established PVP players, in fact a lot of the good players are pretty civil. I’ve found that a lot of the new players coming from PVE just cannot handle losing or getting killed and take it very personally. So don’t mistake the abuse as solely a PVP player thing.

in PvP

Posted by: entropy.9613

entropy.9613

Trashtalk win: hurt feelings, quit threats and a lengthy forum post.

Wish I knew that guy’s formula.

in PvP

Posted by: ThatShortGuy.4672

ThatShortGuy.4672

In a competitive scene you will always get hurt egos or elitists. Only thing we can do is get a thicker skin and keep on truckin’!

That Cloaked One / That Phantom Memser / That Dark One
ThatShortGuy.com

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I can’t remember when was the last time anyone said I was a bad player or anything negative. Should I feel proud of myself?

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Dealing with the SPvP community 101:

Step 1: Create a new tab in your chat box
Step 2: Edit settings
Step 3: Turn everything off
Step 4: Sweet Release.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

Posted by: Eyia Hellhide.7320

Eyia Hellhide.7320

I can’t remember when was the last time anyone said I was a bad player or anything negative. Should I feel proud of myself?

Well I remember. The last time was when I was still playing hot join and it was till I got rank 15. After that I moved into tourneys and never been harrassed again. And actually the insults motivated me to try to improve, not to post threads on forums.

Till last night. When a warrior stopped fighting in the middle of the battle just to type in map chat with caps: GUARDIAN WTF R U DOING U MAKE NO DEMAGE UR USELESS

The thing is, I really doubt it was a PvP player. And the funny thing is after the match the opposite team’s guardain pm’ed me to ask about my build.

The night is dark and full of turnips.

(edited by Eyia Hellhide.7320)

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Well I remember. The last time was when I was still playing hot join and it was till I got rank 15. After that I moved into tourneys and never been harrassed again. And actually the insults motivated me to try to improve, not to post threads on forums.

Till last night. When a warrior stopped fighting in the middle of the battle just to type in map chat with caps: GUARDIAN WTF ARE U DOING U MAKE NO DEMAGE UR USELESS

The thing is, I really doubt it was a PvP player. And the funny thing is after the match the opposite team’s guardain pm’ed me to ask about my build.

Less experienced players who think they are the best will often do that. However, when it happens to you, all you have to do is ignore it and not care. You can laugh at them too.

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

I think very few people from the GW2 playerbase would survive a game of pub Dota.

Lol Dotas community is EZ.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

(edited by Moderator)

in PvP

Posted by: Eyia Hellhide.7320

Eyia Hellhide.7320

However, when it happens to you, all you have to do is ignore it and not care. You can laugh at them too.

That’s exactly what I did. I wanted to be sure I won’t be teamed up again with this guy, at least till he learns the game, the classes and their roles.

The night is dark and full of turnips.

in PvP

Posted by: Rage.9723

Rage.9723

I agree with the other guy just turn your chat off and you don’t have to worry about anything said.

in PvP

Rage.9723

I notice I win more when my personal score is higher also. Obviously I don’t get greedy on capping when someone else is there but a correlation tends to exist unless you are specifically focusing on decapping.

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Because triple personal score of someone else is not an indicator of anything? Strong logic.

No, triple personal score is not an indicator of anything.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Rage.9723

In your opinion and play style. Show me regression analysis if you want to talk in bold letters.

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

In your opinion and play style. Show me regression analysis if you want to talk in bold letters.

I’ve had plenty of games where I was fighting outnumbered fights while my team ran around in a blob killing people off point.

Guess who had more points?

There might be a correlation between personal score and effectiveness, but, in the end, just because you had triple his personal score means absolutely nothing without extra context.

He could have been fighting 1v3 for ages while you and the rest of your team roflstomped 2 players 4v2. And of course, you would then have more personal score than he did, even though you were misrotating horribly. In fact, the guy fighting 1v3 for an extended length of time and then dying would have been being extremely effective, even though he is awarded zero personal score

Ranger//Necro

(edited by infantrydiv.1620)

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

You sure do like to look at things as pessimistically as possible don’t you? The guy I played with sucked and was whiny.

That may be so, but again, personal score has a potential to be hugely misleading.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Personal score doesn’t really mean anything out of contex of each specific match. Some times you can have a score of 25 from defending mid all match. You were more valuable than dude running around fighting off point and double capping and yet he has a higher score.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Yet another carebear thread about this?
Some people are nice, some have a bad day and take it out on randoms, some are just kittens in general, some are frustrated by the game and take it out on others – making a boohoo thread each and everytime for something like that won’t really do you much good. No it’s not nice, and saying ‘grow a thick skin’ can only go so far. Yes I tend to use the typical ‘pve—>’ and ‘scrublord’ and the likes often enough, but it’s usually VERY warranted, because it ticks me off to see the same mistakes repeated over and over again despite team chat calls to act differently.
GW2 is such a pve game, really.
Also, if you do not want to be harrassed, go offline mode or block them.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

in PvP

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

Personal score is not indicative of anything. There are no separate score calculations for each build and role. If you’ve yolo queued since the launch of the game, you’d know that if you played things like guardian bunker you’d probably have action throughout the match but the least score because you’d only be rotating onto neutral or owned points to help a teamfight but not capping points. You could have a thief that solely backcaps but die to an off-point zerg and he’d potentially have more points than the bunker.

You can’t change opinion on the internet, unless that opinion offers the recipient a better virtual position be it wealth, status symbol, or other sorts of well-being. Trying to get other people to stop insulting and whining about you is futile. Instead, the most flexible thing you can change is your perception of these situations. When you get trash talked, don’t say anything, and don’t feel anything. I mostly just find it amusing and read it like your daily newspaper comic.

If you know you made a mistake, correct it quietly. If you know you can improve, best to do some research or watch streams. You don’t have to go red-faced and engage in steamy pink chat.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

in PvP

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Conquest is an inherently frustrating game-mode.

If someone isn’t pulling their weight or even afk, it means you can’t do kitten. You will constantly be outnumbered in fights, respawning more often, which just snowballs the entire game.

ANet has designed a game-mode in which there is NO FUN to be had when not winning.

Warsong Gulch, Alterac Valley and most other BGs from other MMOs are at least somewhat entertaining, even when losing. You can still kill people and get a sense of accomplishment from that.

In GW2 Conquest it’s either be better or get farmed.

And verbal abuse is just a way for players to vent that frustration. It’s not mature and often not fair either, but it’s completely human. Try not to get all that caught up in it and blame the game, rather than the players. They after all, only react to the way the game way designed.

(edited by Dee Jay.2460)

in PvP

Posted by: falcy.7648

falcy.7648

Most common things i noticed in solo q or even yolo q is when a team gets behind there’s most of the time that one person typing in very fast ‘My team sucks’ or ’ i have all pve people in my team’ …. trying to defend his ego and a lot of times that person is actually one of the worst of the team.

Most funny thing i had encountered was last week. I assault far point and there is a elementalist. He was not a good player cuz i beated the crap out of him. As soon as he died he screamed in map chat: NOOB, STAY THERE, SCRUB, I KILL YOU.
I didn’t said anything just laughed in myself so i waited for him. He assaulted me and i even beated him twice as fast. Again same stuff. He respawned coming my direction again and turned around to another point. That’s the moment i typed in: I’m still here

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

It used to be strategy requiring, but today it’s mostly about losing 500-150 because one guy decided to push far , because one guy only wants to run the orb, because one guy keeps rushing in 1v3, etc…

I think meta builds nowadays aren’t helping neither to develop strategy…people usually are overestimating their builds way too much, whilst there are less risky tactics in soloQ

in PvP

Posted by: Jeskelech.4152

Jeskelech.4152

because one guy keeps rushing in 1v3

That guy is doing the right thing, the rest of the team should be able to keep the other two points!

Provided he can keep them for 20 to 30 seconds ofc.

If the team can not take advantage of this, sorry then you deserve to lose.

But speaking of strategy…
Keeping players out of the point scoring game is strategy, saw two games turned last night, one was won with a mere 3 points, but the fact was that managing to keep them off the points, for just a little bit gave us those extra 3 points, all were fighting, and none were dying, if either one of my team mates or myself had gone down, we would have lost instead.

Another game terribly behind, manage to get the entire enemy team to fight off point by applying pressure where it hurts….

so yes it is all about strategy, sure I was not queuing in the yolo que, but we still had 2 randoms in both games.

Fact is there are bad players and good players, and most good players know how to read the map and can make decisions about where the best pressure is applied, and can stay alive for just long enough to make a difference.

(edited by Jeskelech.4152)

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

Someone called my thief useless once when I had triple his score. I called him out on the score part.

general rule, the people with the top “personal scores” are usually the most useless.

the guys holding points for an entire game with 10-30 points are the real winners,
all you zerglings mindlessly fighting off point with your 200+ personal score are indeed useless.

bringing up your personal score probably made him laugh his butt off.

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Someone called my thief useless once when I had triple his score. I called him out on the score part and he went afk. Trash players getting frustrated and projecting things onto other players instead of themselves.

Um individual score means nothing and its only new and inexperienced players who think it does. The person with the lowest score could have been the most valuable player on the team fyi. I could say more but your obviously new.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

(edited by vincecontix.1264)

in PvP

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

I request a skill. “Blow PvE’er to Bits”. Sick of Team’Quen to find out there only here to PVE…. Sorry but allot of us come to SPvP and PvP unlike this new way of players whom only want to PvE.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in PvP

Posted by: Bane.5379

Bane.5379

Because triple personal score of someone else is not an indicator of anything? Strong logic.

The fact you think personnel score means something in tournes made me chuckle

Thanks

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

The fact that you even bothered to look at personal score is an indicator of something.

For example, I sometimes play a decap engi. And I often end up carrying my team hard. Do you know what my personal score is? Neither do I, since I never look but it wouldn’t be more than 50 or even 20 depending on how many times I got the decap.

Your personal score is a completely useless indicator. We all started not knowing much, so there’s no need for people to be kitten you for not knowing better. But just for future reference, never let your eyes stray to the “personal score” section. It’s an embarrassment.

in PvP

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Meh, I think it’s just an excuse for a lot of people, the last bastion where they get away insulting people online in games – all under the flag of “tough competition”.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

Not even close to the number 1 issue with pvp. Ignore is your friend. If you absolutely feel like it was particularly egregious report the player although I am not a fan of that either really. I don’t know what bubble some people live in but I thrive on a little conflict to be 100% honest. Gets the juices flowing. Its kind of strange that we want to live in a free society but we only want it to be free for things we personally find acceptable. I can’t point out some noob’s obvious mistake in a competitve rated match but at the same time some of those same people that want to cry about those sorts of things think it’s sacrosanct for some dope in zone chat to troll on topics like abortion, religion, and politics. Again my personal response is generally to not get bent out of shape and just ignore the person if something bugs me. I really think that’s the best strategy not blowing things out of proportion and being easily offended all the time. That’s not the way I am going to live my life.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

in PvP

Posted by: Kiriakulos.1690

Kiriakulos.1690

People use chat functions in PvP?
Since when has this been going on?

Attrition – A pretty name for taking longer than anyone else to kill something.

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

You can’t even spell thief right in your signature. Strong community.

Same quality argument as the “I have 3x points you have so I am l33t and you are nub”.

in PvP

Posted by: Raunchy.6891

Raunchy.6891

I knew this was another “stop trash talking in pvp” qq thread. Every game that has competitive pvp has a somewhat “toxic” community. If you can’t put up with it then mute people or don’t play. Whining about people harassing you over the Internet is what children do. :/