2v2s are coming?

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

The only “successful” game mode GW2 ever had is going to stay. There’s other things for you to do than to play the thing you dislike so, try that.

With all due respect, this talking point is absurd. Conquest is the only “successful” game mode GW2 ever had because it’s the only game mode that ArenaNet has ever made any effort to support.

Courtyard had the potential to be good, but they never properly supported it with its own queue and they just tacked it onto the map rotation. It’s still just sitting there, exactly in the same form it launched in. They’ve done literally nothing to it.

Stronghold also had the potential to be a good game mode, and it arguably still does. Simplify the game mode and streamline the gameplay experience. Get rid of the supply runs and the trebuchets, and just have critters leave the base at an interval with players fighting over the hero spawns to swing the match in their favor. But instead they’ve just done nothing. Just like Courtyard, aside from adjusting a few overtime mechanics, Stronghold is literally in the same exact state it launched in. People bought Heart of Thorns on the implication that the PvP area of the game would grow and ArenaNet has literally nothing to show for it almost two full years later.

Instead we just see more and more Conquest maps like Skyhammer, Revenge of the Capricorn, and Eternal Coliseum being added over the years that very few enjoy and even fewer want in the ranked rotation. Let me reiterate: people HATED the original Skyhammer, and yet ArenaNet has spent YEARS revising it and now forces us to play it in RANKED PvP.

They’ve even dedicated development time to working on kittening Spirit Watch, a complete garbage fire of a map, adjusting its orb mechanics. The fact that ArenaNet hasn’t made any meaningful progress with Courtyard/Stronghold by mid-2017 is pretty much indefensible at this point, because they seem to have dedicated their attention to pretty much everything else, including stripping out the Mystic Forge from Heart of the Mists and designing, re-designing, and re-designing again the lobby.

I really thought this 2v2 announcement was the first moment that ArenaNet finally listened to its fan base, but I guess that was a mistake on my part. I suppose I’ll just be doing occasional automated tournaments and spending the majority of my time in WvW moving forward.

It’s really a shame, because Guild Wars 2 could still be that dominant PvP MMO they originally envisioned it as if they just dedicated the resources to it. ArcheAge, BDO, ESO, WoW … they all have terrible PvP by comparison, gated either behind an arduous grind/vertical progression or suffering from old/floaty/awkward gameplay mechanics.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Magnito.6187

Magnito.6187

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-ready-for-the-june-2017-competitive-feature-pack/

“Structured PvP will also be updated with a custom arena map for 2v2 battles and a new and improved PvP lobby to hang out in.”

So does this mean we are going to be able to queue 2v2s now instead of just 5v5 conquest? Am I reading it right? Curious cause no one seems to be talking about it.

Only custom arenas. We don’t have plans to support a 2v2 game mode with a queue.

Are you serious?

I don’t know how someone can think that the 5v5 garbage is better than a 2v2, seriously. I can tell you at least 20 reasons to get rid of the 5v5, and another 20 to bring 2v2.

If you want a competitive game you »CAN’T« have this 5v5, unless you redesign the game entirely from the base.

Please do so. I want to count 40 reasons in total. I’ll hold your beer.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: glenndevis.8327

glenndevis.8327

I think 1v1/2v2/3v3 should be a separated queue like stronghold is. Maybe not for ranked (because of balancing reasons) but just as a fun gamemode.

I’ve always felt like gw2’s combat system is way too fast & chaotic to allow for anything more than 3v3’s.

The problem though if people want it to become an actual fun and “somewhat” balanced gamemode, the way amulets & builds work should completely change. OR add some very specific rules to it.

The way custom arena’s work just doesn’t allow a lot of people to play it either. (not without spending gold at least.)

If this would have been a gamemode in a queue I would have already played it a lot. But the way it stands right now, I haven’t even tried it out yet.

(edited by glenndevis.8327)

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: tico.9814

tico.9814

3v3 would be more competitive but 2v2 is a good start better than conquest that’s for sure. I don’t have plans returning to this game until I see more development into it.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Bhagwan.1784

Bhagwan.1784

This is so saddening and maddening, why add a 2v2 map without a queue? How is it different that what we have today already?

The feedback is overwhelming yet they do this half a job add a map no queue and a statement that “2v2 won’t ever be supported” for the final buzz kill.

Why ANet why? I really wanna play this game sometimes but NotLikeThis

2v2 is the only chance for me actually playing pvp in this game, just the thought of another conquest season with horrible matchmaking and having to play vs top 10 at silver cuz no population is giving me cancer already.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: hiems.8769

hiems.8769

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-ready-for-the-june-2017-competitive-feature-pack/

“Structured PvP will also be updated with a custom arena map for 2v2 battles and a new and improved PvP lobby to hang out in.”

So does this mean we are going to be able to queue 2v2s now instead of just 5v5 conquest? Am I reading it right? Curious cause no one seems to be talking about it.

Only custom arenas. We don’t have plans to support a 2v2 game mode with a queue.

Are you serious?

I don’t know how someone can think that the 5v5 garbage is better than a 2v2, seriously. I can tell you at least 20 reasons to get rid of the 5v5, and another 20 to bring 2v2.

If you want a competitive game you »CAN’T« have this 5v5, unless you redesign the game entirely from the base.

Hyperbole. But I already made a post explaining why 2v2 is better for the game, and I think that almost the entire pvp community agree.

(edited by hiems.8769)

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Ziggityzog.7389

Ziggityzog.7389

2v2 or 3v3 anything that involves non circle dancing sounds fun to me. That way cheap builds that have lasted thru the ages like running point to point bow teef will be useless, trap guard also because why sit on a trap if there is no circle to dance on.

Anet better not screw this up like courtyard or stronghold. they could have had a better TDM or a second stronghold by now but they wasted so much time on Conq.

lol’ing at thos who use broken builds and claim to be good since 2005.

|||Necro the masterclass very few know about.|||

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

glenndevis.8327

The one big problem with a 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 gamemode would be the win conditions & balancing. And I feel like those are probably the reasons why Anet won’t make this a proper queue.

Can’t deal with balancing around yet another gamemode *cough*dropconquestbalancing&balancearounddeathmatchesinstead*

Also win conditions would have to be more complicated than just “having more points than the enemy.”
If it’s all about killing the enemy team, everyone will just play bunker/tank classes.
If its about having the highest % of health then people will still play the same bunker classes.
It’s all because of how gw2’s builds & combat system works.

That’s why there are other objectives in PvP and have conquest. PvP is more about out rotating rather than killing. Its what makes people have diffirent roles & team comps.

But in deathmatch (unless they somehow force roles upon certain classes & builds & make us queue as one of those roles) people won’t do that. It’s all about not dying not to lose. I can see teams like ele, druid & bunker guard being unkillable because of the crazy amounts of healing & damage reduction.

To prevent that Anet should rebalance the healing capabilities of pretty much every class so a team with full on healing & defensive builds & classes won’t last vs a team with high damage.

At that point people will have to run more offensive builds & maybe 1 support (support being boon support, healing support, maybe CC like utilities to stop the enemy frm killing your teammate.)

But even if PvP would be balanced around this, it will be much harder to balance than Conquest is because there is a lot more to Conquest than just “killing” & “not dying”

I think that all this balancing is a load of work Anet just doesn’t want to commit their time to.
However, I think Anet SHOULD give this match type a PROPER chance and add queues for it. (even if its unbalanced)
Then all players will be able to try it for themselves & a lot more players would be able to give proper feedback on it. Also Anet would be able to gather a lot more statistics like that as well.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

But in deathmatch (unless they somehow force roles upon certain classes & builds & make us queue as one of those roles) people won’t do that. It’s all about not dying not to lose. I can see teams like ele, druid & bunker guard being unkillable because of the crazy amounts of healing & damage reduction.

To prevent that Anet should rebalance the healing capabilities of pretty much every class so a team with full on healing & defensive builds & classes won’t last vs a team with high damage.

I wouldn’t underestimate the cc and burst potential of 2 classes. Go ahead and run your 100% bunker comp. You’ll find out real quick that you’ll need to run around the map more than actually engaging the other team.

WoW 2v2 already “solved” the sustain issue. The lowest health teamed player throughout the round will lose once the time limit expires. GW2 can take it a whole lot further than just looking at a team’s average health when a match stalemates by incorporating downed state rules.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Zanixo.1708

Zanixo.1708

FeelsBadMan i was so hoping for 2v2 ques well rip.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Guizao.4167

Guizao.4167

I like that. Very excited for it. My thoughts: I’d like to see new maps for conquest and stronghold, these modes deserve more love. And also more class balance.

It’s all about THE COLORS

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Are you serious?

Hyperbole. But I already made a post explaining why 2v2 is better for the game, and I think that almost the entire pvp community agree.

2v2 would be a nice addition to the pvp queues.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: hiems.8769

hiems.8769

Are you serious?

I don’t mind if they just get rid of 5v5 conquest, don’t think it’s good enough to be a PvP game mode for a couple of reasons, don’t think it would be played if 2v2 get support and I think that 2v2 is far better for the competitiveness that PvP players are asking.

But yea, it’s asking too much, not gonna happen, which is sad. But let’s see how things will work, probably 2v2 will die on the custom arenas, it’s expected to be this way.

(edited by hiems.8769)

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Magnito.6187

Magnito.6187

Are you serious?

I think you’re thinking wrong..

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

But let’s see how things will work, probably 2v2 will die on the custom arenas, it’s expected to be this way.

They made a “2v2 map”. This just tells me it’s a smaller version of Courtyard so… if they don’t make any tools to add in-game functions to make it a legit 2v2 custom arena then it’s going to be as popular as it is presently… not popular.

I truly hope they actually add map timers, round-robin, two stomp wins, winner stays till next round, etc etc. These are the tools; certain in-game specific rules, that players would like to incorporate for a solid 2v2 custom arena. Not Just a smaller Courtyard map.

Of course Anet could throw a curve ball at us and say, “There will now be 2v2 queuing during off Season.” /crossesfingers

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Stephen.1207

Stephen.1207

if I want to 2v2 all I have to do is go in a private arena so what a-net is doing here is usless

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I definitely would want to see death match games, but I like the current game modes, too. Sort of like how WoW had arenas for straight up team fighting and then had battlegrounds for PvP games like cap the flag, conquest, stronghold, etc. More game modes are a good thing in my book. For me, PvP gets pretty stale when you try to just play death match for thousands of games.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Are you serious?

I don’t mind if they just get rid of 5v5 conquest, don’t think it’s good enough to be a PvP game mode for a couple of reasons, don’t think it would be played if 2v2 get support and I think that 2v2 is far better for the competitiveness that PvP players are asking.

But yea, it’s asking too much, not gonna happen, which is sad. But let’s see how things will work, probably 2v2 will die on the custom arenas, it’s expected to be this way.

And then another horde of players leave because Anet might listen to the guy who claims to speak on behalf of others who suggests “to get rid of 5v5” just like they did team queue among other things.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

glenndevis.8327

And then another horde of players leave because Anet might listen to the guy who claims to speak on behalf of others who suggests “to get rid of 5v5” just like they did team queue among other things.

Yeah I agree that would be a stupid Idea as well. That’s way too much of a risk to take. A risk Anet just can’t afford right now.

I think they should at least give it a PROPER chance and make an unranked queue for it. So everyone can try it. If it ends up being kitten and nobody plays it then it can become a custom arena for those who do like it.

But by keeping it somewhere obscure in a custom arena it won’t gain any recognition if Anet isn’t allowing it to have a future.
It’s as if they don’t want anyone to play it.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Blackdagger.9670

Blackdagger.9670

Mark my words.

This is the main reason for gw2 pvp is not growing and has a limited vision.

Exactly, this mentality. Explains a lot.

(edited by Blackdagger.9670)

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

2v2? Mmm interesting. I’m not even mad that it’s only custom arenas. ANet needs to test this out before they put out a queue. 2v2 being added, even if only in custom arenas, can only be a good thing imo.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Ben Phongluangtham

Previous

Ben Phongluangtham

Game Designer

Next

But let’s see how things will work, probably 2v2 will die on the custom arenas, it’s expected to be this way.

They made a “2v2 map”. This just tells me it’s a smaller version of Courtyard so… if they don’t make any tools to add in-game functions to make it a legit 2v2 custom arena then it’s going to be as popular as it is presently… not popular.

I truly hope they actually add map timers, round-robin, two stomp wins, winner stays till next round, etc etc. These are the tools; certain in-game specific rules, that players would like to incorporate for a solid 2v2 custom arena. Not Just a smaller Courtyard map.

Of course Anet could throw a curve ball at us and say, “There will now be 2v2 queuing during off Season.” /crossesfingers

You’ll now be able to select “Arena” in the custom arena options. In this mode, our 2v2 map is the only map option. It changes the rules to a “deathmatch” style game. No score, just kill the enemy. You can also select a number of rounds, a time limit, team size and some other options. Should the match get to the end of time, we have a mechanic to effectively shrink the playable area, and turn off healing and stealth, in an attempt to force players into combat.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

You’ll now be able to select “Arena” in the custom arena options. In this mode, our 2v2 map is the only map option. It changes the rules to a “deathmatch” style game. No score, just kill the enemy. You can also select a number of rounds, a time limit, team size and some other options. Should the match get to the end of time, we have a mechanic to effectively shrink the playable area, and turn off healing and stealth, in an attempt to force players into combat.

Wow. Actually sounds interesting!

Any chance if you can tell us if this 2v2 map is a new map or just a pre exisiting map with the new rules you’ve just mentioned?

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

Attachments:

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Ben Phongluangtham

Previous

Ben Phongluangtham

Game Designer

Any chance if you can tell us if this 2v2 map is a new map or just a pre exisiting map with the new rules you’ve just mentioned?

It’s a new map.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

That sounds awesome. My only concern is that balance will never cater to rooting out some of the potential ‘OP’ elements of this game mode.

Ghost thieves vs classes that have no reveal come to mind.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Kuya.6495

It’s a new map.

Omg

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I would play a legit queued annihilation arenas, random arenas like in gw1 or 2v2 but not as a custom arena, it has to be queued, supported by the league rewards etc. Otherwise I’m not interested. Sad because I would like to get into pvp but I want to focus on killing people and not fight for points or lord.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Omg, this sounds incredible!! Can you please actually support a 2v2 style of PvP? I’ve always felt like they’re far more interesting to watch and allow a more diverse set of builds.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Kuya.6495

I think they’re willingness to put a custom arena for 2v2 with actual custom rules shows that they intend to implement this in queues in the future, but they are testing the waters to see:

-how popular it gets
-taking in early feedback before putting it in queue

I think it’s a brilliant approach to use custom arenas as a sandbox area to test future game modes without devoting too many resources that then go to waste because of a lack of acceptance from the gamebase like desert borderlands and stronghold. It saves them money, time, and massive backlash if the venture fails.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

It’s really a shame, because Guild Wars 2 could still be that dominant PvP MMO they originally envisioned it as if they just dedicated the resources to it. ArcheAge, BDO, ESO, WoW … they all have terrible PvP by comparison, gated either behind an arduous grind/vertical progression or suffering from old/floaty/awkward gameplay mechanics.

You know there are people in every single one of those games that say the same thing about the “wonderful” PvP combat system in their game, being the best in any MMORPG.

I mean take your “old” criticism for example, I’d say GW2 combat is ‘old’ because it is still just tab-targeted combat, with cooldowns and then an active dodge tacked on to give the illusion of “action” combat, some of those other games have real action combat, some are also much faster paced, require more mechanical ability because you have to actually aim, do bucketloads of animation cancelling, etc, by comparison GW2 combat is old school, slow and relatively low skilled.

Which is why I guess they went with conquest and their particular implementation, the way it is designed is very “e-sports” and raises the mediocre skill cap provided by the combat in a way more simplistic PvP modes wouldn’t.

(edited by zinkz.7045)