9k Mage Strike

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Loop.8106

Loop.8106

So, I was running around on Spirit Watch in some unranked running the meta Mantra Shatter build. Anyway, I was dueling this Ranger on close when I used Staff 3 on Mesmer.

When the Phantasm crit him it blew my mind. 9k Crit.

Post pictures of your most insane crits.

Attachments:

Optimise [OP]

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Belial.9350

Belial.9350

Mesmer balanced

Attachments:

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

I like how you complain people cry about mesmers and then post something like this. Brilliant.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Mesmer balanced

That skill yeah. It has terrible target tracking, and only does good damage against people with condis on them.

So if all the stars align and it hits. Sure it hurts. But you have to be a keyboard turner to have that hit.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Loop.8106

I like how you complain people cry about mesmers and then post something like this. Brilliant.

Im not taking that discussion in this thread. Keep it on topic please.

Optimise [OP]

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Mage strike has been video documented missing a slowly moving Dolyak.

Staff phantasms attack gains a 10% damage boost based on how many conditions are on the target. Chaos storm + winds of chaos + shatter would stack a pretty decent amount of condis (bleed, burn, blind, vuln, confusion, poison, chill)

A 9k mage strike is a rare, beautiful thing.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Loop.8106

Mage strike has been video documented missing a slowly moving Dolyak.

Staff phantasms attack gains a 10% damage boost based on how many conditions are on the target. Chaos storm + winds of chaos + shatter would stack a pretty decent amount of condis (bleed, burn, blind, vuln, confusion, poison, chill)

Had 25 vuln stacks from Diversion too

Optimise [OP]

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Belial.9350

Belial.9350

Mesmer balanced

That skill yeah. It has terrible target tracking, and only does good damage against people with condis on them.

So if all the stars align and it hits. Sure it hurts. But you have to be a keyboard turner to have that hit.

Yes because I’m sure everyone focusses so much on running away from the projectile casted by the warlock when they fight a mesmer.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Laraley.7695

Mesmer balanced

Yes because I’m sure everyone focusses so much on running away from the projectile casted by the warlock when they fight a mesmer.

Oh come on, it’s not like mesmer can stun you with some instant skills. Oh wait.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Login.5102

Login.5102

l2p issue

I keep track of every phantasm/clone and what they are doing. You just have to dodge the purple stuff and butterflies and kitten, ez pz people.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Bedlam.3562

Bedlam.3562

A 9k mage strike is a rare, beautiful thing.

Just like the unicorn!

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Phantasmal Warlock is such a sneaky little kitten at times.

Gandara

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Assuming the projectile doesnt just disappear into thin air because reasons, yeah you can get some pretty good hits. I have seen upwards to 20K hits against PvE bosses

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

iWarlock has always been a high damage, hard hitting attack. But making the strike optimal was like trying to align the stars with your hands.

Anyway, iWarlock and iMage bolts are horrible and easily countered by walking in the opposite direction, or jumping (20s) around in circles (1:00)
https://youtu.be/gT0LXhcZ5ek?t=20

Also, AA phantasms on summon.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

So suddenly dealing 9k damage with an easily dodged projectile, summoned from a condi dominant weapons on a power build, against a target loaded up with conditions and 25 stacks of vulnerability is broken? Almost seems like some people will latch onto literally anything if it has enough shock value to support mesmer nerfs.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

So, I was running around on Spirit Watch in some unranked running the meta Mantra Shatter build. Anyway, I was dueling this Ranger on close when I used Staff 3 on Mesmer.

When the Phantasm crit him it blew my mind. 9k Crit.

Post pictures of your most insane crits.

Ha, you think thats OP? You should see my 2K Mauls on my Ranger.

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

Oh wow, I can 10k damage with RF that follows the target with super fast velocity. Here we have a mage strike from a super slow phantasm that can’t aim for its life.

To get 9k with mage strike, it means the person was loaded with conditions. Now targeting phantasms mesmer too ?

This is getting ridiculous.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

Oh wow, I can 10k damage with RF that follows the target with super fast velocity. Here we have a mage strike from a super slow phantasm that can’t aim for its life.

To get 9k with mage strike, it means the person was loaded with conditions. Now targeting phantasms mesmer too ?

So that phantasm can do that 9k damage in one hit while the mesmer himself can do the his own burst that does 15k damage in 2 seconds, at the same time stunning you no end and immobilize you with sword 3 so the phantasm can easily land his attack.

Your ranger can only do one predictable burst with predictable rotation, and doing just the same damage as one pitiful phantasm. Funny comparison.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

So that phantasm can do that 9k damage in one hit while the mesmer himself can do the his own burst that does 15k damage in 2 seconds, at the same time stunning you no end and immobilize you with sword 3 so the phantasm can easily land his attack.

Your ranger can only do one predictable burst with predictable rotation, and doing just the same damage as one pitiful phantasm. Funny comparison.

No, see, iWarlock, the phantasm in question, scales its damage up with the conditions on its target. 5 conditions means 50% extra damage, plus 25% from vulnerability stacks. Basically, this is iWarlock given a 75% boost because the target was overloaded with conditions and was hit by a very pathetic projectile and crit. The fact that these two things coincide means that it was not a single action that landed that 9k but a series of events that the target went through to let himself be hit, plus a bit of random luck that the hit was a critical. The iWarlock on its own isn’t much of a threat unless you overload your target with conditions first, meaning some significant set-up involving your target getting hit by you multiple times.

All in all, not too broken. Some things might need fixing with the mesmer, probably, but this is not one of them.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Laraley.7695

No, see, iWarlock, the phantasm in question, scales its damage up with the conditions on its target. 5 conditions means 50% extra damage, plus 25% from vulnerability stacks. Basically, this is iWarlock given a 75% boost because the target was overloaded with conditions and was hit by a very pathetic projectile and crit. The fact that these two things coincide means that it was not a single action that landed that 9k but a series of events that the target went through to let himself be hit, plus a bit of random luck that the hit was a critical. The iWarlock on its own isn’t much of a threat unless you overload your target with conditions first, meaning some significant set-up involving your target getting hit by you multiple times.

All in all, not too broken. Some things might need fixing with the mesmer, probably, but this is not one of them.

I understand your point, but don’t you think that it would be much better if they lowered the damage, but actually fixed the attacks of the phantasm? Also, it’s not like it’s hard for mesmers to apply vunerability and other conditions, which is also quite passive, too. There are so many traits that give mesmers contition access without them doing anything differently, it would be rather surprising if your target didn’t have some conditions on him.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: DavyMcB.1603

DavyMcB.1603

9k SITUATIONAL damage from a phantasm that has longest attack interval, which can be easily mitigated? Not to mention how that is obviously the only damaging skill because the mes is running power on STAFF.

Your complaint is legit, OP #sarcasm

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

l2p issue

I keep track of every phantasm/clone and what they are doing. You just have to dodge the purple stuff and butterflies and kitten, ez pz people.

lol I love these coments. Well you just have to dodge XD

I think you forgot to mention that you where sarcastic

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Shala.8352

Shala.8352

i think its a l2p issue. Cause there’s not already enough mesmer attacks that have to be dodged, and they are all so predictable and easy spotted from their stealth.
Considering i am half the time dazed/stunned/immobilized/blinded, it’s really a l2p issue.

Actualy against mesmer i m dodging all the time untill i run out of dodge and hope mesmer has totaly messed up by dropping all his skills at the same time.

Also stacking condi is really hard with mesmer, they are all automatic traits and every autoattack/skill inflict at least one condition, but they have so much skill in dropping those condi. I mean in comparison, warrior autoattack GS and GS skill in general are much more easy to drop and hard predictable… oh wait

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Tissitra.4153

Tissitra.4153

Here is the thing: You might argue that not dodging to a shatter burst is l2p, getting hit by some phantasm is l2p, eating nlurred frenzy is l2p and so on. And if all the mesmer does is just one of these things you might have an argument. However, a mesmer will do ALL of these. So l2p becomes learn to have infinite number of dodges.

Mesmers got hugely overbuffed and to a large extent in areas where they were not even lacking to begin with. Why the 15% phatasm damage increase? I am guessing mostly some sort of accidential change. Balance wise, that was completely unwarranted.

I should add that I actually main a mesmer.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Susulemon.3204

Susulemon.3204

mage strike the only things thats been taken down world bosses throughout the past, everyone else is just there to apply conditions

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

What can I say… Enjoy while you can. And reroll another profession after the nerfs come (teehee). I won’t be sad if they nerf mesmer to the ground, I’m already bitter about what happened to thief. You mesmer peeps may as well join in my misery.

OR! Anet could make proper balance changes without ruining classes.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

I understand your point, but don’t you think that it would be much better if they lowered the damage, but actually fixed the attacks of the phantasm? Also, it’s not like it’s hard for mesmers to apply vunerability and other conditions, which is also quite passive, too. There are so many traits that give mesmers contition access without them doing anything differently, it would be rather surprising if your target didn’t have some conditions on him.

By my count I can usually get between 3 and 5 conditions on someone at any one time, mostly vuln, bleed and confusion with the odd burn if in staff and a few others if chaos armour so balancing around that being the norm I wouldn’t be against.

I’d be all for a toning down of the damage if the phantasm could actually hit something that was doing more than picking its nose. Perhaps reduce the base damage but increase the boost per condition to 15% so people will have to really work for the boost but in most cases will be end up with less damage per hit but more hits. It would also help condition builds have a phantasm more aligned to the weapon.

Still, before nerfs and changes happen I hope Anet gets a handle on the damage from all sources first. I don’t want things nerfed then when or if damage is toned down they become not just a non issue but need a buff again, it’s just counter intuitive.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

l2p issue

lol I love these coments. Well you just have to dodge XD

I think you forgot to mention that you where sarcastic

I know I love them too. They’re always said like that one attack was the only thing you had to dodge or you had infinite endurance.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

So suddenly dealing 9k damage with an easily dodged projectile, summoned from a condi dominant weapons on a power build, against a target loaded up with conditions and 25 stacks of vulnerability is broken? Almost seems like some people will latch onto literally anything if it has enough shock value to support mesmer nerfs.

Bads will be bads… I don’t at all think this is broken. It’s much like Necromancer scepter #3 Feast Of Corruption. Doing high damage with it is rare and takes a lot of setting up. It’s also a power based attack on a condition weapon so pretty much no one uses it (besides myself) on a power build.

On the other hand, I can’t say with all the CC both hard and soft that a Mesmer can apply that it could be too difficult to land this attack at the moment… It would be nice if more than a handfull of Mesmers would actually admit that their profession has been overbuffed. Bringing it down just a smidge is all that’s needed. And this is coming from someone who absolutely hates Mesmers but I’m not gonna say nerf it in to the ground, it doesn’t need to be and I’m not gonna be rude just because I hate it.

Attachments:

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

It would be nice if more than a handfull of Mesmers would actually admit that their profession has been overbuffed.

Where in the world do you think this is realistic? I was advocating some Mesmer nerfs some time ago in the Mesmer forum and I main Mesmer. But I had to deal with a lot of backlash from some members of the Mesmer community. Not saying the majority was like that. But they are there. I bet you won’t ever find more than a hand full of ppl admitting their main profession was overbuffed.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: gricks.1897

gricks.1897

Mesmers are good, but it really is a serious l2p skill versus mesmers, they require a great deal of skill to get their combos off with major damage. If you fight a player who knows what they are doing, it will be fairly even DEPENDENT on class. The problem in PvP is that its really rock paper scissors. On my Guardian I can eat through Mesmers, even good ones without much difficulty, my thief can but only if they are of similar skill as I (still learning how to properly play thief).

Mesmers are obnoxious and PUNISH players who do not understand how they work or are lower skill. Every game has a Mesmer situation class, where if your good with them, you are OP.

On the flip side, Mesmers do stack conditions EXTREMELY quickly, and I think that at times it can definitely by too quick. I do not find Mesmers broken or undefeatable though. You do not need an infinite amount of dodges, you simply need to just keep moving, have some vigor procs. Dodge should only be necessary once in a while. A lot of good Mesmer weapon abilities lock them. Their biggest bursts are point blank or targeted in one location.

The Wrecking Krewe[NYE] – [Maguuma] Arum Bloodclaw

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Tealots.6095

Tealots.6095

I don’t feel like digging it up, but even before the 6/23 patch, I posted pics of the iWarlock critting for more than 10,000 (with 4,000) halting strikes. It’s a tricky burst to set up, but it’s very rewarding to pull off. It also works better after chaining diversions (specifically on Necromancers and Rangers).

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

This post is misleading because the staff phantasm is the illusionary warlock. The mage is the torch phantasm. Please fix this so that people aren’t confused at first.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Tealots.6095

Tealots.6095

Oddly enough, the iWarlock’s attack is called “Mage Strike.” Post title is accurate, none for Glen Coco!

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

I still can’t really believe people are taking this as grounds to nerf mesmer. There’s plenty of far more legitimate concerns you could raise, Warlock will probably never be one of them. Not only is it a power skill on a condi weapon, but it also suffers from the same issues as Guardian’s scepter auto in that just walking is usually enough to evade it unless you’re right on top of it. On top of that, it required immense setup to see that amount of damage. Vuln stacking usually means blowing your diversion with 3 clones active and having none of them miss, plus condis from yet more staff clones, so I wouldn’t even call this a burst seeing as the damage setup probably started a good 5-10 seconds prior to the actual damage. Its even against a ranger. The fact that this happened without Empathic Bond taking away 55% of the damage is all luck of the draw.

High reward for severely outplaying your opponent.

9k Mage Strike

in PvP

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Oddly enough, the iWarlock’s attack is called “Mage Strike.” Post title is accurate, none for Glen Coco!

Gah. Clearly Robert gee should rename it to warlock’s imaginary unexpectedly powerful purple bolt strike.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..