A Game Isn't Built in a Day

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Show me a post that has improved the community and has had a real result in change of anykind for spvp.

How about all the ones pushing for a dedicated solo queue? Many of them were well-reasoned and constructive—GW2 PvP has an emphasis on positioning so premades have a large advantage over pug, lack of meaningful leaderboard without solo/premade split, etc. A few of them became hateful or bitter, but most remained calm while making a good case for PvP dev priority.

Implementing a dedicated solo queue was a huge step in the right direction (I’m not afraid to be honest—yes, it should have been in at launch, but the game released a bit early for the PvP side). It was accomplished through reasonable people making reasonable posts about what would changes would be reasonable for the devs to focus on first. These days, it seems all we post is “re-design PvP from the ground up!” and “the devs hate my profession!” Both of those are unreasonable and unconstructive.

ok posts asking for features standard to the industry, that the game should not have launched without don’t really count. You even admit that.

The truth is that the gameplay has always been crap and the devs have always kicked those who have suggested major changes, even in alpha.

Here we are today with a crap game, and the devs cant fix any of the issues because

1) Theyre too deep
2) The PvP team is tiny, because its size was dictated by the theory that PvP requires little maintainance once a meta cycle starts rolling
3) anet doesnt seem to be re-enforcing its pvp team as they strugle to impliment fundamental features that should have been in sooner. The pvp team cant fix the game when they havnt finished the game yet. You cant properly balance when youre still in early beta, and with no match make, solo que, spectator, leader boards etc, thats where they were.

The truth is the game is awesome and the devs have responded at a reasonable pace to the various and often conflicting community feedback.

There are things that could be improved and basic features that other pvp focused games (with what I assume was a much lower budget than for GW2) seem to have had in since day one, but we are slowly getting there. Will it be an esport? I frankly don’t care.

What have they introduced to the game which works?

In 1 year here is my list:

1, Tournaments removed
2, Paid tournaments removed
3, Custom arenas which dont let you run custom tournaments – so half baked. They are basically just hotjoin servers
4, Matchmaking – maybe this doesnt work due to population issues.
5, Leaderboards – broken to the point they are invalid.
6, Map rotation – works
7, Spectator mode – again pointless because you cannot spectate tournaments on a delay or anything. Who wants to spectate hojoin? Seriously.

So what have we gotten? In year I would say not alot.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

snip

snip

The truth is the game is awesome and the devs have responded at a reasonable pace to the various and often conflicting community feedback.

There are things that could be improved and basic features that other pvp focused games (with what I assume was a much lower budget than for GW2) seem to have had in since day one, but we are slowly getting there. Will it be an esport? I frankly don’t care.

Bingo!

I’m not interested in continuing some kind of shouting match.

The PvP in GW2 will not undergo a fundamental change for two reasons:
1. Making pre-alpha level changes after release is suicidal, and
2. PvP is already fun.

The community is the one part of PvP that I can honestly say has not improved since launch. Ironically, that’s the only part that we can actually change.

in PvP

Posted by: Caine.8204

Caine.8204

snip

snip

snip

Bingo!

2. PvP is already fun.

The community is the one part of PvP that I can honestly say has not improved since launch. Ironically, that’s the only part that we can actually change.

Exactly. I have fun playing. They have made a lot of changes regarding balance, but ultimately it’s up to the players to change the meta. They continue to make balance changes, slowly taking feedback and giving every profession the buffs they need to make them on-par with the other, stronger professions.

It takes awhile to add entirely new systems as well. It will take some time to put in the code for new PvP types. It will take some time to look at data regarding balance, and it will take some more time to adequately balance the game in a way that isn’t going to change the meta from Stunlock Warriors to something completely different.

Adapt to the meta. Spec for blinds and stun removals.

Show me a post that has improved the community and has had a real result in change of anykind for spvp.

How about all the ones pushing for a dedicated solo queue? Many of them were well-reasoned and constructive—GW2 PvP has an emphasis on positioning so premades have a large advantage over pug, lack of meaningful leaderboard without solo/premade split, etc. A few of them became hateful or bitter, but most remained calm while making a good case for PvP dev priority.

Implementing a dedicated solo queue was a huge step in the right direction (I’m not afraid to be honest—yes, it should have been in at launch, but the game released a bit early for the PvP side). It was accomplished through reasonable people making reasonable posts about what would changes would be reasonable for the devs to focus on first. These days, it seems all we post is “re-design PvP from the ground up!” and “the devs hate my profession!” Both of those are unreasonable and unconstructive.

ok posts asking for features standard to the industry, that the game should not have launched without don’t really count. You even admit that.

The truth is that the gameplay has always been crap and the devs have always kicked those who have suggested major changes, even in alpha.

Here we are today with a crap game, and the devs cant fix any of the issues because

1) Theyre too deep
2) The PvP team is tiny, because its size was dictated by the theory that PvP requires little maintainance once a meta cycle starts rolling
3) anet doesnt seem to be re-enforcing its pvp team as they strugle to impliment fundamental features that should have been in sooner. The pvp team cant fix the game when they havnt finished the game yet. You cant properly balance when youre still in early beta, and with no match make, solo que, spectator, leader boards etc, thats where they were.

snip.

1, Tournaments removed
3, Custom arenas which dont let you run custom tournaments – so half baked. They are basically just hotjoin servers
6, Map rotation – works
7, Spectator mode – again pointless because you cannot spectate tournaments on a delay or anything. Who wants to spectate hojoin? Seriously.

I’m sorry, but you failed to mention the three new maps, the new solo arenas/team arenas split (as well as fixing the bug that allowed players to solo queue together).

Not counting the multiple patches that fixed several classes, one at a time.

(edited by Caine.8204)

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

snip

snip

snip

Bingo!

2. PvP is already fun.

Exactly. I have fun playing. They have made a lot of changes regarding balance, but ultimately it’s up to the players to change the meta. They continue to make balance changes, slowly taking feedback and giving every profession the buffs they need to make them on-par with the other, stronger professions.

It takes awhile to add entirely new systems as well. It will take some time to put in the code for new PvP types. It will take some time to look at data regarding balance, and it will take some more time to adequately balance the game in a way that isn’t going to change the meta from Stunlock Warriors to something completely different.

Yeah right. 14 months is such a short period, we can’t really expect anything to happen. And broken classes are so fine. Playing 2 class instead of 8 is just the way to go.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Caine.8204

snip

snip

snip

Bingo!

2. PvP is already fun.

Yeah right. 14 months is such a short period, we can’t really expect anything to happen. And broken classes are so fine. Playing 2 class instead of 8 is just the way to go.

I play Guardian, Necro, Engie, Thief, Mesmer, and Ele actively.

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

snip

snip

snip

Bingo!

2. PvP is already fun.

Me too. Then if i want to win i roll nec.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

snip

snip

snip

Bingo!

2. PvP is already fun.

1) Theyre too deep

snip.

1, Tournaments removed
6, Map rotation – works

I’m sorry, but you failed to mention the three new maps, the new solo arenas/team arenas split (as well as fixing the bug that allowed players to solo queue together).

Not counting the multiple patches that fixed several classes, one at a time.

Wait. I didnt forget the maps. They are all bugged and not tested properly. Instant dying on skyhammer. In and out of the cannon room on skyhammer. Spirit watch maybe just about fixed by now.

So 1 and a half new maps really. The rest dont work. In team queue it is 1 new map in a year. And yes solo q is good. But really that has matchmaking issues which have been well documented.

in PvP

Caine.8204

snip

snip

snip

Bingo!

2. PvP is already fun.

1) Theyre too deep

snip.

snip

snip

Wait. I didnt forget the maps. They are all bugged and not tested properly. Instant dying on skyhammer. In and out of the cannon room on skyhammer. Spirit watch maybe just about fixed by now.

So 1 and a half new maps really. The rest dont work. In team queue it is 1 new map in a year. And yes solo q is good. But really that has matchmaking issues which have been well documented.

I love skyhammer. Works fine for me when I play it. Probably one of my favorite maps. Spirit Watch isn’t bugged.

So three maps, because I do solo queue all the time.

in PvP

Caine.8204

Me too. Then if i want to win i roll nec.

My Mesmer does just fine in pvp, as well as my guardian and thief. Elementalist is great with a boon sharing build, and I can throw a fight with my healing/boons.

Guardian is great for healing/boon sharing as well. Better point control than most classes.

Engineer needs some work, but it’s getting patched to be more reliable in mid october.

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

snip

snip

snip

Bingo!

2. PvP is already fun.

1) Theyre too deep

snip.

snip

snip

I love skyhammer. Works fine for me when I play it. Probably one of my favorite maps. Spirit Watch isn’t bugged.

So three maps, because I do solo queue all the time.

I love skyhammer too. But you alss instantly die when you are on the edge of glass and the cannon goes off. Which is a bug. Also when entering the cannon room it often puts you in and out, again another big bug.

in PvP

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Next

Alright, I wasn’t going to post here, but I want to stop you all in your tracks in thinking that this post was in any way made or prompted by ArenaNet. That is simply not true.

It looks like Caine here is trying to reiterate things we have already messaged, but go largely ignored, as well as sharing his/her experience in the community.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your concerns.

in PvP

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Alright, I wasn’t going to post here

Hmm, interesting, so you guys read stuff even if you dont reply? Now thats interesting information…

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in PvP

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

I’m going to once again say that I agree that the players are supposed to be the driving force in the meta. Some things in the past have been slightly OP, but rather ANet has learned that nerfing something into the ground isn’t as good a long term solution as buffing something else to counter it.

Warrior is a good example, people hated the dominance of Necromancer and Spirit Rangers, so they buffed Warrior to be anti-condition. Of course now people seem to think Warrior is somehow worse than the condition meta even though it already has counters.

The forum goers seem to want ANet to just nerf anything they don’t like rather than trying to find a solution themselves…even though they have said over and over that they want to give us the chance to change things. Apparently though some are lazy and just want Warriors to go back to being free kills.

I honestly think that they shouldn’t do any nerfs to Warriors besides fixing the Sigil of Paralyzation (which should be a pretty big hit to DPS). Force players to find counters and buff classes like Ele that are lacking.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

Alright, I wasn’t going to post here, but I want to stop you all in your tracks in thinking that this post was in any way made or prompted by ArenaNet. That is simply not true.

It looks like Caine here is trying to reiterate things we have already messaged, but go largely ignored, as well as sharing his/her experience in the community.

See this is the thing that concerns a very large proportion of pvpers. Different views everyone has, but when you agree with this sort of thing it is worrying. Things aren’t good. It would be nice if anet admitted this. The leaderboards are broken and don’t count as a feature. You dont say this. Skyhammer has a lot of bugs. You dont say that you see this. Matchmaking has issues. You dont say that you see this.

The idea that you have added alot and we should be grateful is fine. We should be grateful. It is a great game you guys has produced. But please, for the love of god, someone at anet needs to come out and say “look we know leaderboards arent working right now – this is what we want to change” or “we know this isnt working”.

You seem to slap urselves on the back for all the features added but they arent added at a level that is acceptable to us in a released game. It needs to work, and if it doesnt work (like most features dont – like spectator not being available to tournies too) then you need to come out and say you know it doesnt work. Because to the us it seems like anet are just burying their heads in the sand.

Its a great game so well done. We know this. That is why we are here. But come out and say you recognise the flaws in the things you have added. It is painful not knowing if you will fix this stuff because it doesnt seem like you think there is a problem

in PvP

Posted by: dejay.2598

dejay.2598

See this is the thing that concerns a very large proportion of pvpers. Different views everyone has, but when you agree with this sort of thing it is worrying. Things aren’t good. It would be nice if anet admitted this. The leaderboards are broken and don’t count as a feature. You dont say this. Skyhammer has a lot of bugs. You dont say that you see this. Matchmaking has issues. You dont say that you see this.

The idea that you have added alot and we should be grateful is fine. We should be grateful. It is a great game you guys has produced. But please, for the love of god, someone at anet needs to come out and say “look we know leaderboards arent working right now – this is what we want to change” or “we know this isnt working”.

You seem to slap urselves on the back for all the features added but they arent added at a level that is acceptable to us in a released game. It needs to work, and if it doesnt work (like most features dont – like spectator not being available to tournies too) then you need to come out and say you know it doesnt work. Because to the us it seems like anet are just burying their heads in the sand.

Its a great game so well done. We know this. That is why we are here. But come out and say you recognise the flaws in the things you have added. It is painful not knowing if you will fix this stuff because it doesnt seem like you think there is a problem

3 million boxes and one year later they still haven’t implemented 1 successful feature for spvp

99% of their population is gone and they can’t even admit it

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Why would you respond to an obviously baseless offhand remark like it was super important and required dev intervention? Really?

in PvP

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

They have had over 365 days… and its as big a mess as ever.

I see little improvement. If anything, its less fun now with the current mindless condition meta and creation of Skyhammer. Why Skyhammer always pops first is beyone me.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in PvP

Posted by: Sweetbread.2679

Sweetbread.2679

A game isn’t built in a day? The game was in development for 5 years and has been released going on 13 months… In that time we’ve had 2 maps released (one generally considered to be broken and imbalanced), 1 major balance patch that only made the meta worse, and the introduction of solo queue, which was incredibly kitten. All while hundreds of threads of constructive criticism go ignored for months and months. Then suddenly the devs realize they should actually communicate with the spvp forum, but 90% of that is basically just “Hey guys! Don’t be mean! We’re trying REEEEAAALLLLY hard!” This game’s pvp is a friggin joke and the small effort that’s been made to improve it has been riddled with poorly thought out design decisions.

And you seriously wonder why people complain on the spvp forum?

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Warrior is a good example, people hated the dominance of Necromancer and Spirit Rangers, so they buffed Warrior to be anti-condition. Of course now people seem to think Warrior is somehow worse than the condition meta even though it already has counters.

This is actually not entirely accurate. Their resistance to conditions was made a focus way back when people were still running greatsword-centered builds but got kited too easily; they needed a way to stay in melee. Necro/spirit ranger dominance came later, and it was a couple months after that when people finally figured out how good warriors were. Anet is not in the business of creating hard counters.

The devs regularly acknowledge issues. If you look in threads on 4v5, matchmaking, glory farming, etc, you’ll see a dev response acknowledging the problem for each of them. I believe leaderboard decay is another thing they’ve acknowledged needs to and will be changed, but I can’t remember for sure.

Because it’s not true. How foolish do our posts look to the devs if they have hard data sitting on their desks that is the exact opposite? It is highly likely that there are more concurrent PvP players now than any time since directly post-launch, when you take solo queue, team queue, hotjoin, and custom arenas into consideration. If you have non-anecdotal evidence that says otherwise, great, but people seem to think “half of my friends list is gone” means that the population is declining.

I see little improvement. If anything, its less fun now with the current mindless condition meta and creation of Skyhammer. Why Skyhammer always pops first is beyone me.

Not my favorite map either, but people had been asking for more important secondary objectives for a while. Spirit Watch was created with the same idea in mind. As for condition meta, Anet wisely waited a couple months before gutting entire professions. People discovered counters, and after the few buffs to several condition-removal skills in the mid-October patch, condi builds should be at a good place, but definitely not OP.

in PvP

Posted by: Chobiko.9182

Chobiko.9182

3 million boxes and one year later they still haven’t implemented 1 successful feature for spvp

What the what? 99% of the population?? Where’d you get that from? If you think they haven’t implemented any one successful feature (leaderboards, maps, custom arenas, 1v1), what WOULD be a successful feature to you?

I can’t think of a single thing that would be more successful than the leaderboards per say.

Of course they can improve in incentivising PVE players to try SPVP by adding useful stuff you can transfer into PVE as well (like the bags). Or they could add some of the minigames into the mists. Or make the Heart of the Mists place a bit more interesting by adding something to do there when relaxing (jumping puzzles)? Idk anything I can think of adding would be second rate at best.

Balancing 8 classes is a never-ending effort, not even WoW has reached perfect balance yet. Just as there will always be someone ganked 14 times by someone more skilled than them coming to the forums crying that the ganker’s class is OP. I think people should keep looking at the classes when they themselves and others play them and see what works and what doesn’t, and report what doesn’t work. That helps devs.

And if you have any good suggestion for what would be a “successful” feature why not tell us. Because obviously we need it if 99% of the player-base is gone.

in PvP

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

It’s becoming a huge circle of giving feedback seeing little to no result, angry comments, then people saying we should calm down and give productive feedback and it starts over again.

I want to be positive, but I don’t think ANET will act on anything big in pvp until it hits rock bottom. So I say we keep giving our angry feedback and throw keep speaking out till we see some action or real effort on their part equal to Tequatl and Super Adventure Box. I think it’s complement to see angry posts because it means that people love the game, and would like to see it head in the right direction.

>Implying pvp hasn’t hit rock bottom..

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

in PvP

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

You guys seem to be really proud of doing absolutely nothing. You reply to a lot of threads, sure, maybe you even send that feedback to the pvp devs. But does anything actually change in the game? Nope… so you keep on trying to fill us with false hope, simply throwing a red ANet reply into a thread isn’t going to fix the game. You guys fixing the game is going to fix the game.

But yeah guys, let’s keep it constructive and informative so we can continue going ignored while ANet agree’s with people like OP and imagine in their own little world the game is completely fine and they’ll take our suggestions ‘into consideration’ LOL.

My question is, why don’t the pvp devs take a moment out of their day to read the pvp forums themselves and realize what a plague and letdown spvp is. I mean, they obviously have no clue what the hell is going on so that would be a start.

There are countless, COUNTLESS threads with very constructive suggestions and even solutions to the problems with the game but apparently those don’t exist. I guess we’re delusional, guys.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

in PvP

Posted by: Divinity.8041

Divinity.8041

You guys seem to be really proud of doing absolutely nothing. You reply to a lot of threads, sure, maybe you even send that feedback to the pvp devs. But does anything actually change in the game? Nope… so you keep on trying to fill us with false hope, simply throwing a red ANet reply into a thread isn’t going to fix the game. You guys fixing the game is going to fix the game.

But yeah guys, let’s keep it constructive and informative so we can continue going ignored while ANet agree’s with people like OP and imagine in their own little world the game is completely fine and they’ll take our suggestions ‘into consideration’ LOL.

My question is, why don’t the pvp devs take a moment out of their day to read the pvp forums themselves and realize what a plague and letdown spvp is. I mean, they obviously have no clue what the hell is going on so that would be a start.

There are countless, COUNTLESS threads with very constructive suggestions and even solutions to the problems with the game but apparently those don’t exist. I guess we’re delusional, guys.

This sums of my views exactly. You couldn’t have said it any better. They are proud of their failure in their microcosm of a world they live in.

R40 Mesmer
Hypercrushed

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

It needs to work, and if it doesnt work (like most features dont – like spectator not being available to tournies too) then you need to come out and say you know it doesnt work. Because to the us it seems like anet are just burying their heads in the sand.

If I recall correctly, they stated once that implementing a system where tournament matches are recorded and then displayed with a delay (a-la GW1 style) would necessitate at least a year’s worth of programming because their game engine doesn’t support such a feature.
So in other words, it’s not happening.

It makes one let out a really long sigh when comparing that information with the original mentality and enthusiasm: http://www.guildwars.com/gameplay/pvp/observermode/

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: ThatShortGuy.4672

ThatShortGuy.4672

It’s understandable that you’re frustrated with the lack of new or revamped items going into PvP, so am I! But to say the devs aren’t reading the forums is ignorant. They do come by, just take a look at the Dev Tracker subforum; Jonathan Sharp (the LEAD dev!) has visited these neck of the woods many times, and to a lesser extent – based on posts – Evan Lesh too.

Just as Allie pointed out in another thread not to long ago, the more time they are here, the less time they’re at their desk coding. I mean, that’s why she has a job, so they can keep going while she delivers the community feedback.

It’s OK to be frustrated, but use that in a constructive manner to help them change the game into something we want to play! :-)

That Cloaked One / That Phantom Memser / That Dark One
ThatShortGuy.com

in PvP

Posted by: DeckerDontPlay.1639

DeckerDontPlay.1639

More like, “A Game Isn’t Built in a Year”

Sixes – KUM – Maguuma

in PvP

Caine.8204

Point out a game that has had more implemented, more bugs fixed, and more balance changes in its first year.

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

Point out a game that has had more implemented, more bugs fixed, and more balance changes in its first year.

O seriously dude. Do you even play? Their features are broken. Their bug fixes cause more bugs. Their balance changes make things worse.

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

So close, but you do have to remember what those updates were.
First off, Anet has shown they have an extreme passion for the game, which seems why there are so many updates, BUT passion doesn’t seem to give prowess, those updates tend to be a lil shortsighted and shoddily made.

They nerfed quickness to leave warriors broken and alone for 3+ months, only to be buffed into a CC-locking beast…which leaves the question… why??? why go through all this hastle of destroying a class if you aren’t going to improve their gameplay?

Leaderboards are useless.
They still don’t have a legitimate matching system no matter how they’ve tried, I mean MMR and the actual S/TPvP queing setup.
A game needs varying ques, Anet has shenanigans que and… tournaments… no middle ground. That makes TPvP into the casual que of any other game, the leaderboards into unavoidable trash and the MMR as unworkable because it is account wide in the casual que…
Then they split team and solo que to fix that… that’s an issue that will only compound their problems thanks the small population that plays the game…

They still haven’t gotten around to one of their biggest promises during beta… the game wasn’t going to be burst/insta-gib based.

Anyways, I think you get the gist of what I’m saying?

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

its really not a great game. not the pvp anyway. they dont deserve a pat on the back, not collectively.

some of them probably worked hard and deserve recognition.

the final product is awful though, and fell so far short of promises and expectations.

in PvP

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

Alright, I wasn’t going to post here

Hmm, interesting, so you guys read stuff even if you dont reply? Now thats interesting information…

They’ve literally said that hundreds of times.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in PvP

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

Previous

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

This thread is now locked on OP request.