A Message from the PvP Team

in PvP

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Plz add a system that makes u lose less pips on loss vs premade as soloq. We must acknowledge that many play as soloq, and as long as the playerbase isnt big enogh for seperate queues we need this. Fair play.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Greatest Solution to Leagues

Amber to Sapphire

• Reduce Pips Needed from 5 to 3
  • Increase Tiers

Ruby – Legendary

• Same tiers
  • Losing will not always lose you a pip, especially against a premade
  • Blowout games 0 pip lost
  • Close games 500-400 lose 1 pip. (Would not matter if vs premade, atleast it was a very good match, not 1 sided)
Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in PvP

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

Maybe for you it does not make a difference between playing ranked at your level or playing on hot-join level. I (from my personal experience) between playing vs and against the top esl players, and against Hot-join players.

I also experience multiple multiple mmr resets, where you could just farm up your mmr again vs bad players.

So yes, there is a way to determine your mmr. And yes, it is working.

Yes it works, badly. What you are saying is the system works for some people but not for others, means is not a good system, and I can’t possibly see how it can measure a player’s skill from a pug team of 5 based on wins alone. An opposing team that you are heavily favoured to beat is 3 capping during a match and wins with no afks or leavers says it all. It gives the illusion that it is measuring skill, but in reality it can’t actually do that. The system is likely slightly better than a total random matchup with class balancing. Being able to tank your MMR (i.e. making your whole team lose, also affecting their MMR) to gain tiers in a division is a symptom of its flawed mechanics and how it doesn’t particularly play nice with the league.

in PvP

Posted by: Sceletonx.7481

Sceletonx.7481

Umm, you won 4/10 which looks like MMR is working as intended.

its not about what I won but how balanced games were, 1 team having less than 300 is usually very unfun unbalanced game (because its terrible one sided and its not fun for both side)

in PvP

Posted by: akeldama.6709

akeldama.6709

Forfeit wins and pip loss

We will be correcting a bug where players can lose pips after a win if someone in their party had disconnected for longer than 2 minutes, causing a forfeit. This fix should be in our next release.

I hope what this actually means is that not only will we no longer lose pips when winning an underdog 4v5 match, but will actually gain pips…?

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Full pug vs full 5 man premade. Thank god we are esports tho rite?

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Please balance the game during league seasons and re-add solo queue. PvP is not fun right now with this insane power creep and regular full solo vs full team on ts matches.

in PvP

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

I understand Anet wants to wait. I get that, but please, please, please make fixes you see to this league and don’t wait until the next. The February league needs to have the issues definitely fixed.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Greatest Solution to Leagues

Amber to Sapphire

• Reduce Pips Needed from 5 to 3
  • Increase Tiers

Ruby – Legendary

• Same tiers
  • Losing will not always lose you a pip, especially against a premade
  • Blowout games 0 pip lost
  • Close games 500-400 lose 1 pip. (Would not matter if vs premade, atleast it was a very good match, not 1 sided)

They need to make the system ‘fair’, not dumb it down to make it extremely casual.

Theres two major things to it:

1. Soloq and teamq.
No matter what you do, this will stay an issue in a game where individual skill gets trumped by the overall skill of your team. In other games like cs:go (where they are not split) this isn’t as much of an issue because you have more tools to play like a team (Voip, commands, etc.) and the individual can carry much much harder through raw skill.

People will also continue using this excuse to fool themselves or others. “Oh no, I got a 10 loss streak, it’s the system, it keeps putting me on kittenty teams”. You won’t get carried, you’ll have to contribute yourself.
In over 50 games, my worst loss streak was 5. So what. Suck it up.

2. Start of season. Lots of people are pooled together in amber, together with a volatile MMR this creates unbalanced matchups and the likes. People who progress faster will have queueing issues (cf. collero and others in ruby).
You need to have placement matches or atleast let people start at a higher division when they finished a season in a high division. I.e legendary division makes you start in ruby or w/e.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Great match ! (I just have afk in 10 seconds of the end)

4-man against 4-man. Whats the problem? And you play on a thief + you seem to be afking.

At this point I think people just expect to win every single game they play.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

Great match ! (I just have afk in 10 seconds of the end)

4-man against 4-man. Whats the problem? And you play on a thief + you seem to be afking.

At this point I think people just expect to win every single game they play.

I expect ArenaNet to balance the game and fix bugs.

in PvP

Posted by: Inquisitor vail.7421

Inquisitor vail.7421

Regardless of how unlikely this is to actually happen (read on for why), we’re still not cool with players intentionally losing as this is in direct violation of our Code of Conduct.

I read on, there was no why. This whole post could have just been dumbed down to. “We have no answers, and just know there are problems.”

in PvP

Posted by: akeldama.6709

akeldama.6709

Out of curiosity, if both teams are missing a player by the end of the match, are neither of them awarded a pip win?

in PvP

Posted by: Ngeluz.4860

Ngeluz.4860

OOoooo I like this Dev attention it feels like GW1 all over where developers where on the 24 hour alert so much that they even had an animation of Dhuum Ban in game…hmmmm I wonder does GW2 have an animated ban in game PvE or PvP? Aaah the good old days…

Anyway, thank you for the update Gray and for your Teams active support on the activities in the game…I really miss it…

in PvP

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

The pips still confuse me aswell.
Yesterday evening we lost a game 403-500 and we got a pip.

Anyways, will we get guild decay this season already or is that planned for next?

And what about the guild team rewards?
There’s guilds with multiple teams in the top.
Do you get a reward for every team in there or just the highest or what?

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

in PvP

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

The source of this whole problem is the matchmaking itself….not entirely the players. There will always be players who will try to manipulate it (as there will ALWAYS be hackers even if u have the best anti-hack system) but that’s a handful of ppl compared to the rest that just play it. For new players matchmaking is not fair at all.

Also i am curios. How will they sort people who “give up” at a score of ~400 to 60 ? Or do they actually expect ppl to still keep fighting the fight at that score and still have a good morale after being in such matchups ONE AFTER ANOTHER? I will be honest..i have been in this situation several times CONSECUTIVELY….and i went ahead and said “ggwp, finish it faster”…because in my opinion fighting at that score a team that completely annihilates you is not only pointless but just makes your morale go down even more. And yes i WILL do it again when i am in that position. but hey guess what happened….a white knight who was quite literally auto-walking into them called me a bot and reported me at that score. Yes that’s the reports they get….

I bet you 9/10 ppl who went “afk” or just seemed to give up would simply exit the arena if they could…but no..it just forces you back in.

Their so called fix doesn’t address the true problem and it will hit more ppl that just were completely overcome by their kittenty systems rather then hitting people who were failing intentionally and with a purpose. How do i know that? Because they won’t manually check logs for each player to see exactly what happened…or maybe the dialogues that happened during a matchup that made someone give up…etc etc. They will just program a kittenty bot that does X if the player did Y. Exactly like they did when the mass ban for the tree-farming happened some time ago…when players were mass farming trees for foxfire or whatever leafs….and most got banned because a kittenty system thought they were botting.

@Anet will you also punish the players to whom you gave free-wins by making this matchmaking system? How will those free-win 400-xx win-teams be handeled? I am curious how you consider the other side of the coin. They basically got a free-ticket to legendary by your kittenty system and they profited. Or don’t tell me..you consider those legit wins? Yes they completely are..if we play a game that revolves solely around unfairness and you promote unfairness as one of your MAIN PvP systems, yes..actually i urge you to just give them the legendary directly. No use avoiding it at this point right?

(edited by Rebound.3409)

in PvP

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Best way to fix this is: make tiers 3 pips not 5. You must be extremely lucky to win 5 games in a row with all those unbalanced classes, unskilled players and premade teams. I cannot imagine problems which occur in higher divisions where you can lose tiers easily.

in PvP

Posted by: Cuchulainn.7421

Cuchulainn.7421

Best way to fix this is: make tiers 3 pips not 5. You must be extremely lucky to win 5 games in a row with all those unbalanced classes, unskilled players and premade teams. I cannot imagine problems which occur in higher divisions where you can lose tiers easily.

^^This.

And i think it would be better to set rank loss just in Diamond or even better just in Legend Rank.

Most Solo Players will never stay long enough in Ruby or above so most teams will never face them again when these teams reach Diamond or Legendary Rank. Because of this most good teams will probably never find enough players and it frustrates players who will never reach diamond or even legend although they are a good players.

(edited by Cuchulainn.7421)

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Question for any developer feeling cavalier enough to answer, why do balance changes take 3-4 months? is there any internal logic within the balance team to justify why we experience changes in the seasons more often than balance changes?

Any chance of getting a response or do I have to post about it on the subreddit to elicit one?…

I’m not a developer but I have had some experience in the field and balancing is harder that people think it is. Over buff something and it becomes OP, underbuff something and it’s still too weak. Same with nerfs. Under nerf it and it’s still too powerful, over nerf it and it becomes useless.

to be fair, balancing isn’t actually overly difficult. The problem is that what player’s think a balanced game looks like, is not eeven remotely similar to what a balanced game is.

See the problem is that most players tend to believe that a balanced game is some sort of nirvana where all classes and builds are equally viable even at high levels of play, and the “meta” doesn’t exist.
This is a fallacy.

Example: Chess. Chess is symmetric and therefore perfectly balanced. However Chess still has a meta. Out of the thousands of strategies and plays than can be performed in Chess, only a very small handful of them are actually useful. Moreover many strategies in Chess are unilaterally weaker than other strategies.

The same is true with PvP games. Balanced PvP games will still have metas, and will still have inferior builds and inferior stratagies. The difference between a unbalanced and balanced game is that in a balanced game the meta will change from time to time without any developer input. A example of this is how DH went from being considered OP to UP without the devs lifting a finger.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Regardless of how unlikely this is to actually happen (read on for why), we’re still not cool with players intentionally losing as this is in direct violation of our Code of Conduct.

I read on, there was no why. This whole post could have just been dumbed down to. “We have no answers, and just know there are problems.”

Not merely the code of conduct but simple sportsmanship too. In games like chess it’s highly regulated with rating floors and sandbagging being a bannable offense. I think banning would be too extreme so maybe an MMR clean and a couple of dishonor stacks.

The best punishment I think is that people caught trying to tank their MMR should have their MMR locked at ESL level and make it impossible for them to lose MMR for the rest of the season.
That’ll stop anyone from thinking about tanking their MMR.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

What the game needs is some skill/trait balancing and build variety. The new trait system along with the power creep just destroyed build variety on many class.

Example:
Once upon a time (when the game was released) as an elementalist you could even use a berserker amulet and put points in water to get 3000 extra hp. Now all of that is gone and we are confined to the only purpose of bunkering points. The variety is gone and pvp is suffering from it.

There is more 80% more ccs than at release yet you also nerfed stability. In WvW it’s a disaster for melee classes.

So many useless skills, like almost half the classes skill are not used because they are so bad (elementalist elite skills? When are we getting a good elite skill? Even the new HoT Rebound is terrible).

As for skill balance, how did you manage to make Dragon Hunter even more broken than burn guards? Wow. I guess a 17k Coalescence of Ruin or 21k Gunflame to the face also is breaking records in terms of skill not balanced, but those last 2 numbers were from WvW.

We want Team Death Match maps, 3v3 arenas and 10v10 arenas, and a few more Stronghold maps and Conquest maps. If you need to hire people to make those then you should.

I would congratulate you however on the new League system, that is good and well done, but the issue is core gameplay experience has deteriorated greatly.

in PvP

Posted by: Sheobix.8796

Sheobix.8796

1) remove premade Q

2) remove MMR, make it one big bag of mixed salty peeps

3) make the only two maps forest and foe

4) problem solved?

5) ???

6) Profit

/endtroll

in PvP

Posted by: CombatEvolve.9238

CombatEvolve.9238

Not sure if this was addressed anywhere, but regarding the achievements…
Obviously we haven’t hit 15 days yet, so it’s very hard to determine how the League Veteran, League Champion, and League Elite are supposed to work ( Cumulative over the season, Reset at next season?), but it seems very difficult for all players to achieve this if they have to hit Diamond Division just to progress for their Legendary.

Naturally, the blog post said skilled players will have an easier time getting the backpack, but realistically, this gates poor skilled players or those stuck in Sapphire/Ruby.

Summer Dawnguard/Taffy The Toymaker
Ehmry Bay loud and proud
Onyx Guard [oG]

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Still no league update. How long do we have to wait?

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

Please stop punishing players so harshly if they have an uncontrolled disconnect. Every so often my comp loses internet connection for a few seconds and I have to restart the client. When that happens I pray to jebus I’m not in a match or it’s 20 min dishonor.. It’s hard enough trying to tier up against a broken tier system. Not being able to play is just sad.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Still no league update. How long do we have to wait?

Not long hopefully.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: Kugkug.8795

Kugkug.8795

rating decay was a HUGE burnout mechanic in WoW pvp back in the old days

One of the first things they did was get rid of rating decay because it was COMPLETELY burning out a lot of players

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

rating decay was a HUGE burnout mechanic in WoW pvp back in the old days

One of the first things they did was get rid of rating decay because it was COMPLETELY burning out a lot of players

I reckon the current GW2 league system will have the same effect if its not revised.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

i dont know about anyone else but once i get the pcs needed to make the back pc i will stay to unranked dailies only.

This isnt a league system its a grind system. They know for the most part what our skill levels are and instead of simply putting us in a certain division based on skill and rewarding us for playing the game. They said

step 1 make them grind games

step 2 make it so once they grind out wins they will have to wait long periods of time to face other players if they get to a high level.

step 3 allow other players who are not as skilled to get to a higher division before even pro players because thats fair. (Like handing ribbons to every kid at a track meet even though one kid threw a ball and went home)

not sure what the future leagues hold but after the this one i wont be grinding anymore. Seriously how hard can it be to make a decent leader board?

in PvP

Posted by: Sawyer.3610

Sawyer.3610

Why should I lose pips if my pug teammates never join the match.

Seriously kittened up.

in PvP

Posted by: eXistence.3876

eXistence.3876

So can i get some retro-active pips then? I lost about 8 of them from something that was eventually fixed, and with it fixed from the beginning I never would have lost them. Seems only fair.

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

As it stands right now Guild Wars 2 PvP is a terribly frustrating experience from a gameplay perspective.

It’s impossible to do anything in a group fight without being interrupted every second. It becomes just a button smashing fest where you try to get a skill off before getting interrupted again. 80% of the time I’m just watching my skills recharge because a new cc interrupted me before the recharge penalty was over and for 5 seconds (until I have an overload stunbreak).

If you didn’t made stability a stacking boon that gets removed with ccs then perhaps we could enjoy this but as it is right now it makes the new elite professions worse.

Guardian Traps, dual Gravity Wells, Shocking auras, Knockdowns, Pulls, Taunts; its completely out of control. The recharge penality for getting interrupted has to be removed if this is the direction the game is going in. Then with Ranger roots and perma chill, condition creep and finally the damage creep, like 17k Revenant hammer hits in WvW from 1200 range.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

i dont know about anyone else but once i get the pcs needed to make the back pc i will stay to unranked dailies only.

This isnt a league system its a grind system. They know for the most part what our skill levels are and instead of simply putting us in a certain division based on skill and rewarding us for playing the game. They said

step 2 make it so once they grind out wins they will have to wait long periods of time to face other players if they get to a high level.

This is spot on. Its clear from all HOT content that anet are a one trick pony in terms of player retention, all they can do is add more and more grind to all game systems.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

This is spot on. Its clear from all HOT content that anet are a one trick pony in terms of player retention, all they can do is add more and more grind to all game systems.

Seriously, every aspect of the expansion they turned into a grind.

I was actually ok with the $100 because the GW2 came out with alot of great ad ons from Living Story, to the scarlett saga and PvP being near a perfect meta. The only thing that needed fixed was d/d ele. So many great little things and 2 different halloween stories.

Boom this expansion comes out and destroys everything. PvE people are complaining about certain things, WvW all but dead except for the die hards and PvP is experiencing mass frustration.

heres the big kicker though, they added nothing. No fractal leaderboards, no new fractals except adding really bad punishments to 50+ fractals, killed dungeons, a terrible WvW map which they didnt make a new map for. They simply threw this map on top of the old one and was like good.

PvP got no new maps, a unbalanced specs, a league system that actually punishes players for losing even if they try there best and dont quit, not resetting the leader boards and the being unable to see the guild leader boards.

Im waiting to see what they do next because im running on fumes here. We didnt get new halloween content, we got grind winterdays content and you hit on the head with the fact they are a 1 trick pony.

If they bring out more content that is the same as the current system i hope we all jump ship.