A Simple Yes or No From the Spvp Community

in PvP

Posted by: Pride N Greed.8106

Pride N Greed.8106

Since the last SOTG, I would like to know from the Community if you want Conquest as the sole competitive game mode.Do you guys feel there is another another game mode that should replace conquest?(Arena’s,TDM,Moba style etc..). Since Anet is inclined to focus on it.I would like to you what you guys think. A simple Yes or No answer will do.

I will tally up all the Yes and No’s over a period of time. Maybe a month or so?

Reason I am doing this survey is to find out if this is what the community wants as the Competitive Esport.

Yes-24(46%)
NO-28(54%)

P.S Only vote one please its hard to keep track of every single person’s name thanks!This post is strictly for Competitive game mode not for “fun” mode!

(edited by Pride N Greed.8106)

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Edit: No See below.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Yes.

But, I had to say that because of the way you phrased your question. I think there should be more game modes becasue it will be more fun; I’m not sure if increasing the number of game modes will be good for acheiving the esports dream however.

in PvP

Posted by: Ironcloud.3892

Ironcloud.3892

Yes, I feel that Conquest is adequate.

And like the others said, I do also think there should be some more lighthearted, just-for-fun gamemodes.

(edited by Ironcloud.3892)

in PvP

Posted by: JimmyJazz.7943

JimmyJazz.7943

I do like conquest mode for competitive. It adds complex.

Other modes will be appreciated though. Basic arena mode.

So yes, but with more variety.

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

Assuming that by saying “META” you actually meant competitive gamemode

Yes, I feel that Conquest is adequate.

I am sorry had to reword it. Do you guys want Conquest as the Meta is what i was trying to get across. I will assume you still said yes so i will tally it up!

in PvP

Posted by: Phantom.4157

Phantom.4157

I would enjoy seeing a MOBA style mode with arena nets own twist on it.

Luci Lee | Thief R51 |

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

I would enjoy seeing a MOBA style mode with arena nets own twist on it.

Did not answer my question… Do you want Conquest as the competitive game mode? Going to take that as a No!

in PvP

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

MOBA def………..

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

No.

It has created the dominance of bunker/burst in tPvP, and that will never change so long as conquest is the only game mode, due to the very nature of conquest… take a point quick, defend a point forever… burst, bunker. Mobility between points.

Nothing about those things has a thing to do with great fights to either watch or play.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

Hotjoin: no (its TDM zerg matches anyways so midas well have a TDM mode)

Tourneys: fence sitting, would like some other modes but they would need to be tested so that they aren’t chosen over conquest

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

Hotjoin: no (its TDM zerg matches anyways so midas well have a TDM mode)

Tourneys: fence sitting, would like some other modes but they would need to be tested so that they aren’t chosen over conquest

Do you want Conquest as the main Meta? Did not really specify cant tally yours!

in PvP

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

I just want more game modes. I hate conquest but I agree that they should focus on a single competitive mode, even if it’s something as terrible as node capturing. Honestly they can’t go back now on conquest as the main mode, but they should still add more casual modes (arena and CTF being the main two that come to mind)

Don’t tally me because this poll is flawed, or tally me as no since that’s has the correct connotation.

in PvP

Posted by: guza.6170

guza.6170

Yes.
Imagine if they wanted to change the competitive game mode at this point, it would take about 22 years at their pace. Also i kinda like it.

aka Subl

in PvP

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

NO.

Would prefer MOBA style, would allow for wider class roles and more dynamic play resulting in epic team fights. Gw2 could take a swing at this only it would be unique in how you generate new stronger units and would not have a (farm) phase so would still be fast paced and enjoyable to watch/play.

Conquest is fun on a large scale, but 5v5 it is the boring…..boring to watch, boring to play.

EDIT: if you played reapers rumble, you know they have the technology to do it…and it was still the funnest pvp mode gw2 has given us imo.

in PvP

Posted by: Stof.9584

Stof.9584

Yes.

But there is room for experimentation: with secondary objectives, but also with smaller arena style matches and duelling, capture the flag, king of the hill, etc…

I don’t think people have played either a MOBA or GW2, if they think they’re compatible.

Desolation EU – Necromancer / Thief
Top 100 Solo Q for a full minute

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

Sorry Ling, I mean … Greed (see what I did there?)
Guess my answer is: Yes if they keep adding cool secondary objectives

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

No. They got it right in GW with Heroes Ascent and GvG. Conquest is kittening stupid and it’s also extremely hard to follow or give a kitten as a spectator.

Trying to look at conquest as a spectator is even worse than 1v1 hero battles in GW, which is saying a lot.

in PvP

Posted by: Oareo.1604

Oareo.1604

I am fine with conquest as the competitive mode.

However, I want other modes. Even if they are just for fun. If they turn out to be good for competition, that’s even better.

in PvP

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

No: it discourages large group fights by making running a more reliable way to win points than fighting. It’s nice for hotjoin because it’s simple for pugs to run and fast for beginners to learn, but it doesn’t have the tactical depth to sustain interest in competitive format.

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

I’m fine with the mode, but bunkers, particularly elementalists, are making it a lot less fun than it could be.

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

No.

There should be multiple game modes all with thier respective leaderboards and you let the community decide which one is the preferred competitive mode.

As much as some minority is out there that dislikes it, I think a 3v3 or 4v4 team death match would emerge as the most played and most competitive mode. Let the player see decide, but you need to have options on the table first.

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

Up to date from all the above, I am just curious to see if the Spvp community is happy with the direction of the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

Yes
There’s no good reason it can’t work if the secondary objectives are interesting enough and the rest of the game is made around it.

Call me Smith.

in PvP

Posted by: Vence.6974

Vence.6974

No,

Its already getting repetitive and to continue the same concept for months or years would make pvp a chore rather than a good time. It needs more versatility if it intends to keep pvp alive and growing

The Yellowflash of GW2

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

yes, but only because i feel if we changed the game mode class balance would go into chaos. death match would be too unusual given no healers, and the super low ttk. I cant say how it would go, and would be super quick, or super lame (kiting till elites off cd etc).

Im hoping custom arenas allow for different game types though.

in PvP

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

Yes. Mostly because of the lack of trinity, its more viable than a simple team deathmatch/arena. I would like more game types in their custom arenas to play for fun however.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Im changing my vote to No. ( correct the tally).
Gotta be honest. I didn’t think conquest was the way to go from beta, but parts of it had grown on me. Still to this point I think it splits the focus too far and if it were possible I’d prefer something else. Not deathmatch or tdm, but something else. I think foefire, temple and to a significantly lesser degree Spirit watch better create a feeling that is interesting (come back from behind) but in general the Slow tick of pts itself suspenseful naturally. Like killing the Guild Lord, or capturing all of the points at once.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

Up to date from all the above, I am just curious to see if the Spvp community is happy with the direction of the game.

There is no direction to be happy about. ArenaNet has no idea what it’s doing at the moment. When was the last time you saw a company remove a large feature of its game like paid tournaments?

The entire sPvP situation is just a mess. It’s an amalgamation of concepts and hopes that were never fulfilled. Look at the tournament interface. Or look at the Wall of Champions which hasn’t been updated once in it’s entire existence. Most people only even know that exists because they use the fire nearby to test healing.

You could say my answer is a resounding sigh of disappointment.

in PvP

Posted by: Gabriel.7943

Gabriel.7943

No.
Moba neither. GW1 style is the way.

in PvP

Posted by: FLIMP.8172

FLIMP.8172

No

15char no no no

in PvP

Posted by: faeral.7120

faeral.7120

yes.

tbh i think any number of gametypes could work with GW2, but Conquest is the best b/c it splits the team population across multiple objectives, just like a MOBA does. ( 3 nodes → 3 lanes, alternate objectives → towers / jungle )

i could see them changing capture mechanics to de-incentivize hard bunking ( zero dps specs ), but Conquest itself is not to blame for that.

i would like to see Deathmatch on the condition that creative maps can actually be designed for Deathmatch. need to think back to Quake3 days ( quad dmg, invisibility, armor, launch pads, teleporters, etc ) & shy away from WoW Arena format.

in PvP

Posted by: condiments.8043

condiments.8043

Yes.

Other objective based game modes could work but not TDM/arena. In most games I usually don’t prefer conquest, but it just really works for GW2. It has varying levels of player engagements all within the same match, allows the gameplay to retain its decisive distinctiveness(low ttk, fast paced battles) without cheapening the strategic aspect of the mode, and can potentially reward a variance of gameplay styles beyond damage or damage support(‘potential’ is the key word, not enough of it yet).

I certainly wouldn’t mind other modes but they’d have to be careful on its design.

Cretius-Elementalist
Condiments-Thief

in PvP

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

No

The conquest mode limits the type of roles to burst or bunker and has negative effects on damage balance due to trying to accommodate this meta. It’s just far too limiting.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

UP to date from above and i fixed yours Ensoriki. It’s getting very interesting!

in PvP

Posted by: Sanis.1096

Sanis.1096

No… anet has no clue how to even balance professions so TDM/areana would be stupid… they should just quit the whole e-sport thing

-Apinamies-
-rank 41 guardian-
-Desolation EU-

in PvP

Posted by: Eccentric Duck.7510

Eccentric Duck.7510

Yes, I think conquest is a nice, basic game mode that you can add a lot too making it more complex. Arena Net basically needs to think outside the box more when creating their maps however, because the current maps, aside from spirit watch and maybe temple, are terrible.

Salad engineer

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Yes, but with ladder we can see, hopefully system similar to hero battles in GW1. With daily tournaments.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Yes…system is not bad, mechanincs related to it are..

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

Up to date from above!

in PvP

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

they can’t even do a proper balance for conquest mode,other modes will just mess things up even further.I say no until the different professions are on par with each other.
E-sports should be battle of skills and strategy,not profession superiority

(edited by Verdelet Arconia.6987)

in PvP

Posted by: Skyro.3108

Skyro.3108

Yes, but they need to put more emphasis on the secondary mechanics and less on the actual bunkering of nodes. I think temple/spirit watch were much better balanced between holding nodes and the secondary objective.

That said they should add more game modes, hopefully via custom servers. DM will never work as a competitive mode as there’s not enough depth in combat. MOBA-style would be very interesting if they could pull it off, but that would be a ton of work.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Yes I want conquest. It is easily the best game mode and adds complexity to fighting. TDM is and always will be lame imo

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Forsaker.9213

Forsaker.9213

in my opinion making any new game mode in game will be better , but there is another problem , the pvp comunity is to small , MM dont working , of course it wont becouse there is no players to play , if devs will make one que for solo and 1 que for teams propably teams will w8 for match 1-2h and thats the problem.First and most important thinkg is to make leader/ranikng smt like that becouse that will give to ppl more motivation to play .

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

A TDM mode, here…would just bring more whiners to the forum…nothing else..

in PvP

Posted by: Air Rage.4870

Air Rage.4870

No. No. No. No. No. No.

Sorry for the spam, I had to have at least 15 characters to post.

in PvP

Posted by: Michael.3279

Michael.3279

Your topic is too confusing to elicit a yes or no answer. Rewrite it. Again. It still comes off as “Do you want more game modes?” and not “Should conquest be the only competitive game mode?”

I want more game modes. More variety is better. This game is never ever going e-sport, so we might as well err on the side of what will be the most fun overall.

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

Your topic is too confusing to elicit a yes or no answer. Rewrite it. Again. It still comes off as “Do you want more game modes?” and not “Should conquest be the only competitive game mode?”

I want more game modes. More variety is better. This game is never ever going e-sport, so we might as well err on the side of what will be the most fun overall.

Guess what I am trying to ask the community, Is if you guys want Conquest as the game mode we should all be playing for competition.Or do you feel that it is not suited to fit the role and maybe another should replace it. It’s in the Competitive aspect(esport)if you even want to go as far as saying that. Is this what you want to gauge your skill?

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

Up to date from above! Did not count Michael and Archon’s vote they did not specify.Forsaker seemed to imply he did not agree with conquest so i tallied him no.

in PvP

Posted by: Adris.1859

Adris.1859

Drop Conquest, bring back GvG, HA and TA.