A Simple Yes or No From the Spvp Community

in PvP

Posted by: Sand Beagle.9867

Sand Beagle.9867

Conquest has been and will always be DOG kitten. It promotes bad pvp and rewards bad pvpers.

in PvP

Posted by: BlueCheez.4873

BlueCheez.4873

I don’t know why GW2 developers are so obsessed with designing a game that doesn’t require teamwork and coordination.
Bring back HA or GvG please. Make support a viable option. Provide greater build variety. Make teams defined by their team compositions and coordinations, not by their individual player skill.
Make teams centered around what cross-profession combos are available to them.

The devs need to stop sitting around in their office looking at cat videos on reddit and fix their bad game.
They ruined a great competitive PvP franchise because they wanted it to be like the casual games they enjoy like call of duty.

(edited by BlueCheez.4873)

in PvP

Posted by: forrae.6708

forrae.6708

replace? no.
add more game types? yes. control points/conquest/whatever you want to call it is fun for a while, but it would be really nice to see some more variety. capture the flag, a mix of ctf with conquest points, deathmatch kind of arenas would all be welcome.

sPvP just needs more variety.

thugged out since cubscouts

in PvP

Posted by: BlueCheez.4873

BlueCheez.4873

Also, I’d like to point out the BIAS in taking a survey on the sPvP forum.
You are going to have a much higher amount of players who like conquest as a gametype, as the majority of players who didn’t like it enough have already left the game and will not be on this forum.

in PvP

Posted by: Pride N Greed.8106

Pride N Greed.8106

Also, I’d like to point out the BIAS in taking a survey on the sPvP forum.
You are going to have a much higher amount of players who like conquest as a gametype, as the majority of players who didn’t like it enough have already left the game and will not be on this forum.

To be honest its pretty close and if you read through most of them not everyone is content with Conquest. So i don’t think its biased at all imo.

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

replace? no.
add more game types? yes. control points/conquest/whatever you want to call it is fun for a while, but it would be really nice to see some more variety. capture the flag, a mix of ctf with conquest points, deathmatch kind of arenas would all be welcome.

sPvP just needs more variety.

Im talking in the competitive nature to gauge your skill. Anet is going to stick with conquest.They can add everything you stated but it will be for “fun” no balance involved. I will tally you as “Yes” from what you stated.

(edited by Pride N Greed.8106)

in PvP

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Conquest as the sole competitive mode really sucks imo.

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

No, I don’t want there to only be conquest in this game.

HOWEVERRR

There is a major caveat and that is that the game NEEDS to get some love before they work on game modes. God knows they’re already working on hotjoin spectating while the mists get less populated every day. Last thing I wanna see is 5 triple cantrip ele teams running orbs in CTF.

FIX THE GAME BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! YOUR GAME IS ALMOST DEAD!

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

I don’t really enjoy Conquest as it is, for the following reasons (not all of them are against Conquest in general, but the way how the Conquest-Mode is atm.)

1) Defensive Builds:
Conquest promotes heavily defensive builds probably more than any other Game-Mode. Yes, you’d probably also want a tanky Char on a Relic-Run or Capture the Flag-Mode, but in Conquest, you get away with multiple Tanky builds in your team-comp, because you don’t necessarily need DPS to get a Point back, but it works with Knockbacks and other stuff like that as well.

2) Static Play:
If there wasn’t the Mesmer with Portal, there would easily be 2 Players on each Team that were just guarding a Point without doing much of anything, thats kinda boring IMHO….

3) Secondary Objectives should be more important: This could IMHO diminish most of the negative Aspects of Conquest.

in PvP

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Imo basic idea of conquest is good but some mechanisms are badly designed, like counting score ect.

So from me its YES and also NO.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in PvP

Posted by: xtra.3968

xtra.3968

no no no no no no no no

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Yes, Conquest is more team related. If you DM style go play WvW where people just run around in circles and fight each other.

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

Updated From above!!Did not count Rozbuska!Cant pick both:P

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

Yes, Conquest is more team related. If you DM style go play WvW where people just run around in circles and fight each other.

Have you ever played GW1?

There are much more Game-Modes besides Conquest or Deathmatch and most of them Focus more on Teamplay than Conquest.

GvG in GW1 had by far the best Game-Mode I’ve ever encountered in Team-based Games: You had many different Objectives, there were many completely different Playstyles and Teambuilds available (Split-Team VS Teamfight-Oriented Team VS Balanced), the Maps were big and exciting and it was overall so much better than Conquest.

Then, there was of course the Heroes Ascent, were you had Multiple Game-Modes depending on the Map: Deathmatch, King of the Hill, Relic Run and even Maps were you had an FFA with Multiple Teams.

ANet did a pretty good Job with their Conquest-Mode and they abolished several bad Aspects of the Conquest-Mode with good game-design (good layout of the Maps and the Nodes for example: I’ve played Games were each Team basically had 1 Node for free and then you had to Zerg in the Middle. Also, the Idea with the Secondary Objectives is a very good Idea). The Problem is, that the Secondary Objectives aren’t important enough and that there are certain Problems with Conquest you can’t really get rid of (static and boring play of the Node-defenders that aren’t Mesmers and the fact that it promotes several very defensive and boring to play against builds, that then need to be dealt with with uber-aggressive Glass-Cannons: It just creates an annoying Metagame overall.)

The good thing about the GvG-Mode is, that it is so versatile, that this 1 Game-Mode is enough to keep ppl playing and you can just make some new Maps every now and then to keep it fresh. GvG was an excellent Mix of several Game-Modes:

1) Capture the Flag: You needed to get the Flag in your base and hold the middle with it
2) King of the Hill: Controlling the Middle with the Flagstand was very important and if you could win in the Middle and hold the Flag, you had a big Advantage
3) Base-Raid: Another Strategy was to Split with certain Chars and pressure the NPC’s in the Enemies base, to either kill the Guild-Lord, to force Teamfight-oriented Teams to split, to snipe the Flagrunner or to gain an NPC-Advantage for “Victory or Death”, were all the NPC’s and the Guild Lord walked into the middle of the Map.
4) All the Maps had certain other Characteristics, like a Trebouchet, the ability to open/close certain Pathways, a Node that you could hold for certain Boni etc.

It was just amazing overall and it worked very well.

(edited by PowerBottom.5796)

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

rofl, what do we want the esport to be? LOL!

in PvP

Posted by: Sharpy.8397

Sharpy.8397

Yes… What e-sport has more than 1 mode? hummmmmmmmm none.

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

I am not implying their should be more than 1 mode for esport. My main question is if you want conquest the one you want to play competitively whether its esport or not.This is what Anet wants you to play.

in PvP

Posted by: SuperHaze.4210

SuperHaze.4210

No.

There should definitely be more game modes that are competitive like conquest. One team can be champions of both conquest and CTF, or a guild can be the top GvG team. Maybe another guild can have a team that’s the champion of 5v5 arena. It just seems that there shouldn’t be just one game that everyone plays competitively. Some will do well in one game mode and not others, but all game modes can be competitive and some can just be strictly for fun. That way, different builds can be used for the different game modes that are offered.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/what-i-found/first#post1657178

I would definitely want to play GW1 pvp that’s updated with for GW2.

(edited by SuperHaze.4210)

in PvP

SuperHaze.4210

When Halo was in it’s prime, there were sponsored tournaments. There were prizes for CTF, King of the Hill, and Slayer.

in PvP

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

No

The current combat system isn’t suited for conquest mode. Skills don’t take into account the depth inherent in positioning, and the action is generally too fast with being poorly telegraphed animations. Why make players fight over a circle on the map when most skills don’t care where the enemies are? How does the game expect to be an eSport when the action is nigh illegible?

in PvP

Posted by: Wanderer.5471

Wanderer.5471

i did social studies in uni – designing questionnaires etc, and i can feel my lecturers face-palming as they read your question….

in PvP

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

i did social studies in uni – designing questionnaires etc, and i can feel my lecturers face-palming as they read your question….

Yeah… I had to read the question a few times over after skimming the responses.

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

Congratulations! I am glad you are putting your lectures at work playing GW2. Maybe you should consider changing your gw2 career. I am just a common gamer. Did not know you need to go to university or have a high degree of eductaion to post on the GW2 Forums. I will keep that in mind next time thanks!

in PvP

Posted by: lettucemode.3789

lettucemode.3789

Yes. All competitive games have one competitive game mode and maybe a few other modes for fun. Conquest is GW2’s competitive game mode and I’m looking forward to all the possible variations on it.

Sanctum of Rall
Builds: Facemelter Watch The Health Bar

in PvP

Posted by: Wanderer.5471

Wanderer.5471

Congratulations! I am glad you are putting your lectures at work playing GW2. Maybe you should consider changing your gw2 career. I am just a common gamer. Did not know you need to go to university or have a high degree of eductaion to post on the GW2 Forums. I will keep that in mind next time thanks!

ok sorry, that could have been more constructive – biggest issue is you’re asking for one answer but asking 3 distinct questions

in PvP

Posted by: ghaleon.2861

ghaleon.2861

No, I hate this conquest PvP game mode is boring, and all u see is bunkers.

Onesixty IQ Genius[Mesmer]
Zulu OxTactics[Zulu]

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

ok sorry, that could have been more constructive – biggest issue is you’re asking for one answer but asking 3 distinct questions

Think for the most part people understand. It looks like conquest is the sole competitive mode for the foreseeable future. If it does become esport this is what anet wants us to play. Looks like the community is on the fence about it so far.

in PvP

Posted by: Kavia.8249

Kavia.8249

yes

15 characters

Kavia Kael
Champion Illusionist
Stormbluff Isle

in PvP

Posted by: SAtaarcoeny.8476

SAtaarcoeny.8476

yes and im the best player in the world so my vote counts for at least 5?

when they added in the orb it showed how amazing this game mode can be with some added objectives.

URTFC.COM

BIG GW2 TOURNAMENT INC SPONSORED BY URTFC.COM

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

Up to date from all the above and no Sataarcoeny your vote does not count for five because their is no way tell what skill bracket your in with invisible ratings. Maybe they don’t exist anet just told us that so that we can leave them alone for a bit.(My theory)

in PvP

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

Drop Conquest, bring back GvG, HA and TA.

Yes. This.

in PvP

Pride N Greed.8106

Yes. This.

Than its a no on the tally :P

in PvP

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

No, Conquest should be the primary game type. Adding additional game types in due time is something that needs to be done, but Conquest should always be the primary game type.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in PvP

Posted by: Kavia.8249

Kavia.8249

Yes. This.

Than its a no on the tally :P

Wait, I am really confused by what we are responding yes or no to. Now that I look back at your original post there were no less than four questions that could be answered yes or no in there, and in some cases you may say yes to one but no to another leading to contradictory answers. I can shenanigans on this poll.

1. Do you guys feel there is another another game mode that should replace conquest?
2. Maybe a month or so?
3. Are the devs really listening and adjusting accordingly as they claim to be in SoTG?
4. Is the game’s PvP headed in the direction you want?
5. Does it fall short compared to it’s predecessor?

To clarify my answer,

1. NO
2. sure?
3. YES
4. YES
5. NO

Due to the inherent problems with this thread I propose a new thread be started that more clearly frames the poll, or use a spreadsheet like Reroll’s poll did that clearly counts the responses.

Kavia Kael
Champion Illusionist
Stormbluff Isle

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

Since the last SOTG, I would like to know from the Community if you want Conquest as the sole competitive game mode.Do you guys feel there is another another game mode that should replace conquest?(Arena’s,TDM,Moba style etc..). Since Anet is inclined to focus on it.I would like to you what you guys think. A simple Yes or No answer will do.

I will tally up all the Yes and No’s over a period of time. Maybe a month or so?

Reason I am doing this survey is to find out if this is what the community wants as the Competitive Esport.

Yes-24(46%)
NO-28(54%)

P.S Only vote one please its hard to keep track of every single person’s name thanks!This post is strictly for Competitive game mode not for “fun” mode!

Conquest is fine I just think the secondary mechanics are crap and kills should be worth more points.

in PvP

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

You changed your question and now I’m confused. Count my vote as wanting another game mode other than Conquest. The Conquest game is too limiting in what types of roles you can have.

Conquest + Weak Traits = Horizontal Game is completely lacking.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Draven.7210

Draven.7210

No. Add more game mode types

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

One possible issue with game modes is that, if the balance for conquest, that might lead certain classes/abilities being OP in other game modes. And they may not be able to cross balance. meaning certain things will just be OP period in other game types. I’m not sure if this is anything other than a theoretical possibility. Still it would be annoying if so, since the game has to be balanced around its official game type.

in PvP

Posted by: Dynnen.6405

Dynnen.6405

I don’t play much SPvP, however I know what would force each player to change their specs and that would be different game types. Something akin to Enemy Territory RTCW maps. 4 stage assault maps with an attacker and defender, good terrain with multiple ways into each objective forcing good communication as well as different specs.

in PvP

Posted by: D I V A.6018

D I V A.6018

No, conquest is not enough to keep this game alive. I want a simple and easy “Arena” or TDM to take the hotjoin’s place. As for tournaments, I think it would put so much diversity and tactics into the game if there would be a three+ round tournament with different game types.
1. Team Death Match.
2. Capture the Flag
3. Conquest
4. ??
5. Profit

(Sneaky PS: much like Hall of Heroes from GW1, no clue why Anet ignores it)

DIVA

in PvP

Posted by: Apparition.1576

Apparition.1576

No…

There is a reason that GW2 sPvP style is so much worst than Guild Wars 1.. the answer is conquest. It’s boring and bunker based. It does not allow for a variety of builds to win.

IMO ANET needs to build upon the foundation’s in PvP they created in guild wars 1. I gurandamntee if Guild Wars 2 had not already had such a huge fanbase. They wouldn’t have half of the players.

Guild Wars 2 has basically converted the hardcore pvp players into pve players due to the boring arena, lack of customization, lack of variety, and no incentives to play pvp at all in this game.

I could play guild wars 1 arena all day long. I can barely play an hour of spvp. Oh well, I guess I am stuck dealing with nostalgia untill ANET gets there act together.

One day.. all of you shall submit to the Flame Legion…. to me… I AM BLADABOS

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

It’s not conquest that makes GW2 a bit boring at the moment. It’s the infrastructure.
I’ll give GW2 a year and when observ, big tournaments, other maps/modes (which should be even more objective based) will be implemented, this game has a good future I think.

I have to say “Yes”

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: SNAFU.2073

SNAFU.2073

Yes. they do need more game modes, you don’t see dominion on league of legends doing well at all, it’s a chaotic mess and random win or lose. Much like the game modes on GW2 atm. It’s too hard to synergize with a team in an environment like that. No real tactics. They definitely need a game mode with more `teamwork and calculating strategies.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

NO.

We want kittening GvG

in PvP

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

No I don’t want conquest as the only mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Yes, keep conquest as the only competitive mode.

Though the forums aren’t really a good indicator. Lots of vocal minorities.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: Lazarast.6571

Lazarast.6571

No.

I would love arena TDM and without profesion stackin, only one of a kind.

I would love a flag game, with a flag on every base.

in PvP

Posted by: piffdaddy.8014

piffdaddy.8014

No, I would personally love to see arenas like world of warcraft has. 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5 in a small map where the objective is to kill the enemy team ONLY. No little tiny circles where everyone sets up knockback fields in on their bunkers, I want a real competetive arena style fight. Have team ratings and all, straight up copy WoW (maybe make a few slight changes, but you get the idea). Guild Wars 2 combat is much better than WoWs is and I believe arena (not custon “arena” with conquest only mode) would really help this game take off. A competetive arena mode would really help this game out.

in PvP

Posted by: piffdaddy.8014

piffdaddy.8014

capture the flag would be pretty legit too (not spirit watch, stop making various versions of “conquest” because it is getting old and stale very fast)

in PvP

SuperHaze.4210

No, Conquest should be the primary game type. Adding additional game types in due time is something that needs to be done, but Conquest should always be the primary game type.

I’ll agree since so much time and effort has been placed on this particular game mode. I wanted other competitive game modes, but I guess at this point there’s no need to add another competitive game mode. However, there should be more game types that are just for fun and doesn’t need to be taken seriously like king of the hill, CTF, DM, etc.