Anet- How do you balance?

in PvP

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

This is no way a sarcastic post, I’m just curious whats the steps you go through when balancing stuff. Like what do you look at to determine it. I know its data, but what is the data?

I was having a debate with a few friends on how to balance the game. We were trying to figure out what the data is. Many of us agreed that you probably don’t pay too much attention to the balance in WvW on account of all the variables involved (easy to stack sigils, food buffs, bloodlust, guard leech, etc). PvE it is a bit harder since you have to include WvW with it along with dungeons and open world. So we figured most of your data must come from sPvP. Then we ask ourselves what in sPvP. Team fight potential, point control, etc.

in PvP

Posted by: Jae.5138

Jae.5138

I can answer that: endless trial and errors with feedback from minorities.

in PvP

Posted by: mini.6018

mini.6018

Data = Ammount of qq threads.Youre welcome.

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Streams

kitten you Ostrig , for your skills and your manly voice ….

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Mostly internal data, the way every company balances. When you see more of one profession than 2-3 other professions combined, it means something.

Edit: same goes for traits. When 99,9% of warriors use CI, it means something. Or when 90% of warriors use UF. Or when 90% of engineers use IP.

in PvP

Posted by: swordbreaker.5189

swordbreaker.5189

I think the problem is that they have a balance team that try to balance the game around three different modes(WvW, PvP, Pve) and therefore you got a balance that works a bit in every type but terribly fails when you look at it from one direction.
You got Condition in PvP they are too strong but they also to weak at PvE.
You got the PU Mesmer that is very strong in WvW but doesn’t work in PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

this has already been answered in detail, pleaswe go to the collabirative development thread or click on the pvp developers names and read what they have said in the past

in PvP

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

So far the answer seems to be “they don’t.”

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in PvP

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Whatever it is, it isn’t working.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

They think what “would be really cool” and then implement it =]