Ask (and learn) from an actually good player.

in PvP

Posted by: nothelseth.4621

nothelseth.4621

Sup everyone.

Kittykittymeowmew here, #1 mewer in the building.

I’ve decided that I’m going to save the forums and make everyone at this forum good at guildwars so that we can have constructive posts in the forums rather than it being ‘’that place to go to whenever you wanna complain’’

IMAGINE.

I SAID IMAGINE!!!

IMAGINE GOING ONTO THE FORUM AND THEORYCRAFTING SPECIFIC OPENERS
IMAGINE GOING ONTO THE FORUMS AND FINDING 1v1 PARTNERS, MATCHUP TIPS AND DISCUSSION, GUIDES ON HOW TO CLIMB WITH A SPECIFIC BUILD

That would be beautiful. And it starts with this thead.

I, kittykittymeowmew, will help everyone in this forum get better. To do that I want you to formulate your questions in one of three ways. When asking your question, BE SURE TO INCLUDE WHAT SKILL LEVEL (LEAGUE) YOU PLAY IN. This will let me tailor my answer according to your situation because I’d never play the same in legendary as I did in bronze. If you don’t specify your question I might give you an answer that’ll hurt your climb:

1. Matchup specific question: ‘’I play x, what do I want to do when I face y’‘. The more detailed your question is the better my answer can be. Example: ’’What matchups do I want to push as a warrior?’ is less useful than ‘’What matchups do I want to push as a warrior on forest of nifhel when the enemy comp is…’’

2. Improvement specific question: Example of this question has already been sent in an ingame mail to me:

Q: Is actual match play or duelling better practice?
Q: If duelling, what selection process (if any) should be applied to opponents?

Answer: Match play is better to learn the actual game experience and rotations around it. However, there is no better way to improve your mechanic than just spamming duels.

The process of selecting your duel should always to be someone who is slightly better than you. Don’t feed your ego by playing someone who you always beat. Face someone that beats you and ask yourself is anyone in your position would beat that person. Chances are there are and that should be enough motivation to imrprove. For instance, I beat 99,99% of the dragonhunters in the game 1v1 while generally mesmers get stomped by it. You can use m…. .

you can use a fellow skilled mesmer twitch.tv/thelordhelseth and watch when he pushes DHs to learn from it.

3rd: general gameplay question. An example of this question is the thread that asked me ‘’how do I start an opening teamfight’’

Again, to get an answer to such a question you’ll benefit far more from giving me details though so I’m going to make his question less awful

‘’How do I start a teamfight as the only necromancer in the team’’

You want to enter the fight as late as possible. This is because you don’t want everyone to have their gap closers and cleanses available when you start. This also applies to power necro. At the start of a teamfight all the damage you dish out can initially be dealt with, you can then be jumped and trained, at that point you kind of rely on your teammates to help you

however, if you join the fight 10s after it has started then the DHS will have used their ports and pull, the thief may have used steal, etc. You’ll see an instant improvement in the impact you have in fights. Just hide nearby and wait for the fight to start if you have a fairly tanky comp (or if the enemy does)

I will NOT answer qq self serving questions that are basically only designed to stroke your own ego such as ‘’WHAT CAN I DO WHEN 2 OF MY TEAMMATES AFK’’. My interest is making you guys better at the game, nothing else.

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

Appreciate the thread. Plat2/3 NA.
My question is: What is a good profession to turn to when you have dual thief who will not switch?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Hello not so Helseth, Kittymeowmeowmeowmeow!

I am in plat, playing thief/necro/scrapper, what do i do when enemy team has Misha(mes), Sindrener(thief), Zan(scrapper), Fraelina (insert any class here) and my team doesn’t have amazing Lord Helseth (or any top players for that matter)!? The Misha/Sind duo always push for our home and tend to camp it all match. What do, oh amazing not so Helseth Kittykittymeowmeow?

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

nothelseth.4621

Appreciate the thread. Plat2/3 NA.
My question is: What is a good profession to turn to when you have dual thief who will not switch?

Good classes when your team is very squishy:
Ranger, Engi, Warrior(Best pick, can get +1 from either thief to get great value)

Double thief isnt a bad comp to have unless the enemy team directly counter comps it. For instance

Thief thief druid warrior ele
is an amazing comp, especially if enemy team has one thief who has to fear facing both the enemy thieves bopping him.

in PvP

Posted by: Starlett.9087

Starlett.9087

Question: How to deal power mesmers as a warrior? Ive been facing them so much times since 2 or 3 days and i dont rly have any specific strat. Should i try to kill him in teamfight? Its so hard to kill them and they often scape. Thanks

Note: Im not so good at this game thats means im playing with also bad players in my team, but this 2 weeks i could go from silver1 to silver3 so iguess im improving.

in PvP

Posted by: Orianna.6183

Orianna.6183

Thank you in advance for the help.

NA server player recently crossed into plat. I’ve been hovering between this and Gold 3 with very close game scores (4xx-500) and ~55% winrate so I feel this is my current skill level and hope to improve.

1. At higher level, is there a difference between druid and engi in terms of roles? I think these 2 profession suit my temperament because even as a necro I frequently end up with top stats for revives and I’ve been thinking of maining one or the other.

2. How do you win if your team comp has no support vs a normal team comp? Today, I had condi engi, double necro (one was me) and double DH vs meta ele, engi, necro, thief and DH on temple. Outside of situations where we managed to get an outnumber we never managed to kill (stomp) anything. Thief was freely decapping and farming us (necros) when we tried to rotate and trying to teamfight into ele, engi and necro didn’t end well.

in PvP

Posted by: Emapudapus.1307

Emapudapus.1307

Any tip for condi/power necro against rifle warriors 1v1?
And is it possible to win 2v2 as necromancer against ele/druid and war with ele on your side?

all is vain

in PvP

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

As a boon corrupter reaper what order should I target enemy classes in general.

in PvP

Posted by: pico.6402

pico.6402

Hi, I play condi mes (sw+s/sc+p or t), right now in tier3 silver (down from gold).

My question is what is my role in team now? And really if there’s no thief I know close is mine on start. But after the open, what should I do? And do as mes I should always win every 1v1 fights? Tnx for any advice Kittykiettymeowmew.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

What with players that main only one class. In my case elementalist. I won´t have an apropriate manual skill with another classes. Maybe i am good enough for gold or even platin but can´t carry with elemetalist 50% of the games. I might 1:3 (had it two minutes pointholding 1:3 then two come helping and both die in 10s to the same i stalled …) and still loose the match due to team suiciding and not listening constantly or not rotating ….
I am to old and have not time to train multiple classes to a high level. I trained warrior so i have a mobile option but i played ele WvW and over 1k PvP matches warrior is not even 10% of that. With anny other class my skill is abyssal. OK i can play annything and instapop newbies but can only stand my ground against average or beyond on ele and war and ele is far superieor for me.

in PvP

Posted by: Mushin.3928

Mushin.3928

Thanks for the thread. I’m silver 2 ATM. I play shoutbow druid (basically ROM’s build – I have watched some of his streams too).

At the start of the match, I’m not sure whether I should go to mid to help with the team fight there, or push far. Pushing far seems useful since it slows down the enemy team. I seem to win more matches when I do this, rather than fight on mid the whole time. But if I do it up front then my team might be undermanned in the mid fight.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

This is a side comment,

You should post more videos onto youtube, the carry games and the duo que arah path 2 were hilarious clips.

in PvP

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

question here re ELE (dagger/focus typical meta build)

I find im doing ok until I become the focus of the attack ( I focus on rotation and not ending up 1v1), so my question is, how do you deal with this in terms of spell selection etc, for example i’m along the lines of the following, but i dont feel i have control yet:

1. Identify im under focus
2. If I start dropping a lot of health I switch to stone, pop invuln then run, switching to ice to cast cc as i run to slow them down then air for speed boost
3. hope they give up and drop off me (i run through the main fight if i can) sometimes i turn and face them down, but at that point they know I have felt the need to run and have blown cool downs.

Is Stone – water – air good? should i be facing opponent down more? What would you do?

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

in PvP

nothelseth.4621

Question: How to deal power mesmers as a warrior? Ive been facing them so much times since 2 or 3 days and i dont rly have any specific strat. Should i try to kill him in teamfight? Its so hard to kill them and they often scape. Thanks

Note: Im not so good at this game thats means im playing with also bad players in my team, but this 2 weeks i could go from silver1 to silver3 so iguess im improving.

as condi warrior (rabid, wanderer) make sure to spam your f1s endlessly to give you enough regen to outsustain the mes.

as zerk warrior you have to be careful and time your endure pain according to his burst

The mesmer burst works like this:

greatsword 2, blink, stun burst

so when you see gs2 be cast prepare yourself.

Honestly, just find a mes to do this MU with for 1 hour and u’ll be good forever.

‘’Hi, I play condi mes (sw+s/sc+p or t), right now in tier3 silver (down from gold).’’

ur job is to go the standard condi mes build for starters. You gain nothing from playing the weaponsets you pick

‘’At the start of the match, I’m not sure whether I should go to mid to help with the team fight there, or push far. Pushing far seems useful since it slows down the enemy team. I seem to win more matches when I do this, rather than fight on mid the whole time. But if I do it up front then my team might be undermanned in the mid fight.
’’

If you wanna carry try to place yourself in as many teamfights as possible. If you’re looking for a stable decent role cap close and support allies while making sure you guys always have the sidecaps. For instance, if you’re losing middle then be sure to rotate far to decap before you die.

‘’whats diff between ranger and engi rolewise’’

Engi is better in larger fights, ranger has the ability to decap far+close easier. Example: if you’re ranger on clocktower you have the ability to sit on the ledge and support while also being able to go close before anyone decaps. Engi has to go on node.

(edited by nothelseth.4621)

in PvP

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Sure, I’ll bite. D/P meta Daredevil.

Silver 3/Gold1. The below scenario seems to consist of around 30% of the games I play. With just one or two competent players in mid it’s pretty much a steamroll as I usually don’t let the enemy hold more than point at a time.

How, on a thief, do I carry a game where my team cannot fight 4v1/2 against someone in mid and consistently wipes to one/two people, while the rest of the opposing team can split 2-2/2-1/1-2 far/home making decapping not very feasible for me without a very extended fight, and my team can’t take any others, either, unless I’m there to win it for them? If they also refuse to rotate into fights I start on sides, what do?

Is 50-70% of team damage considered okay? How do I get the top reviver as a thief since it’s typically the only top-player bonus I don’t have?

in PvP

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

D/P daredevil
Plat 1 and 2. I’ve encountered this situation quite a bit and it’s mostly just lack of experience for me but I am not ever sure what to do in this case.

As a thief, a ton of my rotation is decapping far and then rotating to +1 the fights after someone has left them in order to snowball the match. But I’ve seen an increasing number of people who want to try and solo carry by going far and holding against whoever comes to them while we try to hold other points. In that situation my rotations are messed up as decapping far is no longer a strat and the other team more often than not just takes the 4v5 to the other two points. What should I do in that situation? Cause I don’t 1v1 efficiently in this meta and most of the fights will be even, if not outnumbered.

As I said there’s probably an easy answer but I just don’t have rotations perfected yet so I could use some help for situations where I go out of my norm.

Oh and most of these matches the enemy has an ele, druid, DH, and scrapper with the last one varying between thief, war, and necro most often.

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in PvP

nothelseth.4621

D/P daredevil
Plat 1 and 2. I’ve encountered this situation quite a bit and it’s mostly just lack of experience for me but I am not ever sure what to do in this case.

As a thief, a ton of my rotation is decapping far and then rotating to +1 the fights after someone has left them in order to snowball the match. But I’ve seen an increasing number of people who want to try and solo carry by going far and holding against whoever comes to them while we try to hold other points. In that situation my rotations are messed up as decapping far is no longer a strat and the other team more often than not just takes the 4v5 to the other two points. What should I do in that situation? Cause I don’t 1v1 efficiently in this meta and most of the fights will be even, if not outnumbered.

As I said there’s probably an easy answer but I just don’t have rotations perfected yet so I could use some help for situations where I go out of my norm.

Oh and most of these matches the enemy has an ele, druid, DH, and scrapper with the last one varying between thief, war, and necro most often.

This is a good question.

Someone wants to carry by pushing far: What class is this certain someone?

Let’s say its a mesmer:

If hes 1v1 then you have an excellent +1 chance to outnumber for him. You still outnumber, that’s your job as a thief.

Generally, the idea behind carrying for pushing far is the following: I push far. If I’m 1v1 I win it, if I’m 2v1 my team is not to make a slow rotation to me and create a 2v2 after I’ve been 2v1 for 30s because that just means you’re starting a 2v2 where I have 0 cds and hp. So if I’m 2v1, you outnumber mid/close and snowball the map that way.

If however you have a matchup you want to +1 (which really is any matchup where you as a thief can realistically get a kill when outnumbering, almost any tbh) then take it. Ignore plebs telling you not to go. You’re just doing your job.

in PvP

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

D/P daredevil

This is a good question.

Someone wants to carry by pushing far: What class is this certain someone?

Let’s say its a mesmer:

If hes 1v1 then you have an excellent +1 chance to outnumber for him. You still outnumber, that’s your job as a thief.

Generally, the idea behind carrying for pushing far is the following: I push far. If I’m 1v1 I win it, if I’m 2v1 my team is not to make a slow rotation to me and create a 2v2 after I’ve been 2v1 for 30s because that just means you’re starting a 2v2 where I have 0 cds and hp. So if I’m 2v1, you outnumber mid/close and snowball the map that way.

If however you have a matchup you want to +1 (which really is any matchup where you as a thief can realistically get a kill when outnumbering, almost any tbh) then take it. Ignore plebs telling you not to go. You’re just doing your job.

Does the rotation change at all if they refuse to leave far and the enemy decides to play my team’s close and mid 4v5?

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in PvP

Posted by: Hanth.2978

Hanth.2978

Appreciate the thread and your willingness to help the pvp community. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have knowledge of all classes even if you don’t play them. I’m still trying to crack the rubik’s cube of condi mesmer lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Currently playing D/P Thief in low Bronze (792 atm, climbing slowly).
Most matches are fairly good. I end up out-rotating the team, or holding well 1v1 or 1v2 for a bit before disengaging.

For the start of the match, I normally aim to do 1-4-0. If someone claims home, I go mid and try to do as much as possible to ensure the mid fight wins before leaving to decap far or +1 home if need be. If nobody claims home, I try to cap it quickly and hope that the enemy team doesn’t send anyone there (can’t hold it for too long when that happens).

I’ve had other matches though, where instead of 4 going mid, only 2 did. The other 2 casually walked away from mid and started making their way far (Skyhammer, after far had been capped). Of course, in that same match, 2 of the enemy team came to home and I couldn’t hold it (either die or forced to disengage). Far was basically unguarded, and mid was bunkered in that match, so I wasn’t entirely sure what to do (team didn’t regroup to take back home or mid).

As a D/P Thief, I generally know what I should be doing: +1 a 1v1, decap far, or put some pressure on a team fight. The results aren’t exactly the most consistent, but seems to work well most of the time.

I suppose the question is, should I keep playing D/P Thief, or play something that’s probably a bit more consistent? Like staff Thief for instance, which could work better in lower divisions.

in PvP

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

Hello nothelseth!

I main and primarily play guardian/DH and currently am in low tier platinum though probably belong in high tier gold. While I am very confident in my mechanical skills, I think I lack when it comes to actually “playing” the game mode. My question is: Can you offer some general advice on rotations (for power-based guard/DH) and how they might differ for specific maps? Should I focus on side points, bunkering one specific point, avoid certain classes, try to isolate certain classes 1v1, +1 or not +1 certain scenarios?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

in PvP

Posted by: Torviss.8041

Torviss.8041

Can you tell me the current meta, or direct me to a good place to read it?.
Me and my friend duo. A year ago we got up to sapphire I think, or whatever the 3rd rank was. I always played a bunker Guardian and he played a reaper. I’d give him my feel my wrathe ult, and he’d tear them down with his fast reaper abilities. I’d use M/Shield and Staff and just give out boons and heal myself. I could hold for a pretty long time in a 1v2 or 1v3 scenario, and based on how many people were on me my friend could either come help me kill them or take advantage of the opportunity to go somewhere else while they were distracte, and we carried games pretty well. We’re interested in getting back in to pvp but we wanna know what the current Meta looks like, and if our play style fits in currently

in PvP

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

Oh great meowseth. How does one climb as ventari rev? JK idk who in their right mind would do that…

I am a bit of a standstill atm, I originally placed gold climbed to plat, then real life cough up and degraded to bronze. Now I cant get out of higher silver. I am primarily playing daredevil and power druid.

I run into this issue very frequently where our team fragments and two people repeatedly go mid to die, one attempts far and one attempts to hold home. What ends up happening is we get steamrolled everywhere else but where I go. 9/10 the result is we get rolled and never catch up afterwards.

What should I be doing in this situation? I’ve tried telling people buddy system… but no one listens at this range (1250-1350)

Also what other classes than mesmer do you see as easy to carry games.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

(edited by Eval.2371)

in PvP

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

Question about opening splits. In Silver – Gold Meta, Thieves or Mes are relegated to capping home and then rotating out to far or join into the team fight at mid. Watching your/Sindrener’s streams though, you often are either going to mid for a stealth opener attack, or if both of you are together, a quick gank on the enemy at far. Is this something you only recommend to high tier players? or something that plebians should pick up?

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

in PvP

nothelseth.4621

Question about opening splits. In Silver – Gold Meta, Thieves or Mes are relegated to capping home and then rotating out to far or join into the team fight at mid. Watching your/Sindrener’s streams though, you often are either going to mid for a stealth opener attack, or if both of you are together, a quick gank on the enemy at far. Is this something you only recommend to high tier players? or something that plebians should pick up?

The offensive opening is by far the best to do. However, it’s just a problem that your team wont be able to handle the coordination. At high level stealth spiking far means that we’ll most likely get a 2cap at the open if the enemy does a standard split (4-1). this means that our teammates disengage middle and cover sides, mesmer thief attacks middle and we try to constantly win a 2nd cap.

However, plebs wont do this. They’ll go middle 2v4 and get wiped. Then the guy who capped close will go middle and die. Because of this I went far and tried to get as many people as possible to attack me by distrupting their movement to middle. This means MY team is outnumbering middle instead, giving the plebs a better chance of winning

tl;dr its adapting to ur teammates

In lower levels, always try to have the mentality of ‘’nobody ever disengages’‘. This means that whatever side that outnumbers with more player generally always wins. If YOU can disengage a 2v1 you’re doing a huge boon for your team because you can put your money that the plebs in silver etc will not be disengaging the 3v4.

@Arcaedus you want to follow targets that you can deliver pain to generally. DH is an extremely matchup dependant class, meaning it can be completely useless vs certain things and insane vs others.

Things you love chasing:

Mesmer, thief, warrior, necro, rev

Things you hate being up against;
Ele, engi, druid

Even if you’re in a happy matchup like necro if that necro is with an ele it suddenly turns into a bad one.

@ario if someone is camping a node and refusing to leave it then you’re always in trouble no matter what node that is. This is a problem at all levels and it really sucks when people do this. You’ll have to communicate and get them out of there, be persuasive, not rude.

Once I just ran to the node the guy was afking on and stood there until he realized I wouldnt leave. When he did , I left the node too and now it’s a 5v5 again. We won that game.

@kdaddy You’re confused. You’re talking to nothelseth.4621. I’m not helseth, the guy posting those videos.

I know the extremely handsome guy though and he said that he is uploading a new carry video this week.

@torvis

a great website is metabattle.com

(edited by Moderator)

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

All this stuff you are posting is well and good but you know it is very dependent on getting the plebs to listen. Everyone cant win far point duels at a 100% clip or every 2v2 there in at 100% clip like you can. You cant believe how many matches Im in where I hold far for extended periods of time and your average pug can’t take home or middle with 3 or 4. To me the only way you can carry is to be the type of player that literally can take far at will 1v1. Its not even good enough to be able to rush far with a another person and hold it for an extended period of time the other team will just avoid you and focus on the weak players. I guess what Im saying is what your saying makes a lot of sense but in actuality what allows you to win is your very high level of twitch skills not these strategies. These strategies are actually easily apparent to anyone with hundreds of hours of playing conquest. Your skill level is what is not easily copied.

(edited by steelheart.7386)

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

How to 1v1 a Mesmer with a necro.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

alemfi.5107

Peck, Squawk, and Flap are your best tools to fight a mes 1v1 as a necro.
It’s a tough matchup, but if you believe in the moa that believes in you, you’ll pull through.

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Peck, Squawk, and Flap are your best tools to fight a mes 1v1 as a necro.
It’s a tough matchup, but if you believe in the moa that believes in you, you’ll pull through.

I’m one with the moa and the moa is with me. I’m one with the moa and the moa is with me. I’m one with the moa and the moa is with me….

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Oh glorious kittykittymeowmew — We Are Not Worthy!

NSPride <3

in PvP

Posted by: VanDerTull.5243

VanDerTull.5243

Hi (not)helseth!

I’m really thankful for all the effort you put in your streams and here on the forum to give us “people who don’t even deserve to be carried” a help to improve our gameplay.

I main engi and I’m low platinum /high gold atm (down from plat 2). There are many many many questions that I would like to ask, but due to time issues I’ll just ask a few of them:

1) How can you improve your rotations? ESL matches don’t seem similar to usual ranked matches, streamers choses aren’t often simple to understand and just playing in solo Q without having advices doesn’t seem much helpful.

2) Do you think that starting a match by going far as an engi is good (I mean in the smallest maps, like Forest)? I saw Zan and other in legendary do that but I’m not sure if it’s good for a lower tier player. If yes, which are the enemy team comps that you would prefer to do that?

3) When should you Toss Elixir X and Signet of Humility? How differently would you play one from the other? Should you play them differently if you’re duo queuing with a thief?

4) How should you fight mesmers as an engi (a part from not attacking during shield 4 and blocking/dodging shatters and cleanse confusion stacks)? From the duels between Zan Yarr and Lord Helseth mesmers seems quite a simple match for engis, but I still have many problems with them.

5) How would you approach to a dh whose build is unknown (burning? meditrapper?)? Would you run offensive to make him finish his blocks/invulnerabilities? Or staying defensive and focus on retaliation/healing while spamming damaging fields? Or how?

Thank you for your important help!

in PvP

Posted by: Poelala.2830

Poelala.2830

Helseth, you do not understand the reason players like myself regularly QQ on the forums. It’s not because we’re bad, it’s not because we want to get better, it’s because the enjoyment we get out of this game is dwindling to nothing at this point. We don’t just want to be able to beat condi wars, for example, we want to have fun while doing it. We’re tired of getting farmed by easy and spammy builds that carry people because we just want to play a class how we want to play it. We’re bored of playing support ele, but we love ele and we see the potential in it. We’re tired of playing condi necro and we just want to be able to burst. We’re tired of power scrapper, we’re tired of how the game is going in the wrong direction, in our opinions, and the creators of this game deserves to know customers’ feedback.

in PvP

nothelseth.4621

Helseth, you do not understand the reason players like myself regularly QQ on the forums. It’s not because we’re bad, it’s not because we want to get better, it’s because the enjoyment we get out of this game is dwindling to nothing at this point. We don’t just want to be able to beat condi wars, for example, we want to have fun while doing it. We’re tired of getting farmed by easy and spammy builds that carry people because we just want to play a class how we want to play it. We’re bored of playing support ele, but we love ele and we see the potential in it. We’re tired of playing condi necro and we just want to be able to burst. We’re tired of power scrapper, we’re tired of how the game is going in the wrong direction, in our opinions, and the creators of this game deserves to know customers’ feedback.

If you want to play power necro then I suggest you try out the meta power necro that 99% of the high ranking necros use now. You know, the build with some of the highest burst in the game..

Condi war is a rare sidespec compared to ZERKER war right now. I should also add that both condi war and zerker war are some of the highest possible skillcap specs.

In general, all the balance forum complaints are completely misinformed and based on a lack of knowledge on how to fight these builds which is very ironic considering that the complaint is usually ’’they’re unskilled’’. A personal pet peeve is people complaining about condi mes being ’’unskilled’’ and wishing for power mesmer to return, a build which didnt even require close to as much mechanical ability as the chronophantasma build does.

This is the one and only response I’ll give to someone trying to sidetrack this thread with useless complaints. If you want to enjoy such a thread, go ahead and join one of the many others on the forums or make another one yourself. I’ll use this space to help people who want to improve get better at the game. If you want to enjoy that offer I suggest you ask a question.

@vander

1. The best way to improve your rotations is to record your matches. You don’t need a beautiful high quality recording or anything since all you need to know is the rotations, set up a cellphone on the side and have it record your monitor if you have no options at all. After that, look at the match and try to find every single time you were not useful. For instance, did you have a time in this match where you were AFK on a point, ’’guarding’’ it for 30s while your team was fighting 4v5 on the map? This is a very common one.

Set up goals for how you want to rotate. You plya engi yea? What classes do you like facing?

Well in 1v1 you like facing mesmer, DH and condi war (run to the other side of the planet vs zerk war tho). In 2v2 you like having a necro companion. In 3v3 You like having a necro companion along with another dps. In 4v4 you like having at least one ele by your side.

Learn to disengage matchups. Once you’re in a matchup you know isnt good try to see if you can make a play. For instance, lets say you have an engi friend with you and you’re facing an engi necro. You guys will never be able to stomp the necro and once one of you go down the necro is going to outcleave you. Time to rotate out and see if you can pick a better MU.

Every single lost fight is a potential misrotation from your end. If you look at it this way, even if it’s not true every time, you’ll find improvement.

2. Starting far in lower level is a great idea because people like sending multiple attackers to try to outnumber you. When that happens you’re indirectly carrying middle by having it be outnumbered.

3. The ultimate time to use elixir x is on a necro after hes being forced into deathshroud for the first time in the fight. Most of the time this is after they dont have a heal ready and they’re on 50% so they’re relying on the DS to wait for cds. If you moa them there you can have a perfect kill chance.

4. https://www.twitch.tv/zananananan/v/112380011 this past broadcast contains plenty of zan gameplay which also includes duels vs me. Learn from the best engi.

5.Always go ham and force cds. it’s a winning matchup either way so no need to be scared. The only way you can really lose as a scrapper vs a dh is if you’re too defensive.

‘’how to 1v1 a mesmer with a necro’’
If you counterbuild with double plauge signet (1 trait, 1 util), possibly add unblockable shout then yo uactually have a possible matchup vs the mesmer. You’re kind of leaving the role of a meta necro build then though. If you play the meta build, mesmer is your poison so avoid it.

Had a huge post deleted and infracted so hopefully some of you guys who posted the questions earlier caught that before it happened. If you didnt, repeat your question.

Ive also sent a mail asking why it got infracted since I wrote absolutely nothing offensive in it, maybe it’ll be restored.

in PvP

Posted by: David.5974

David.5974

Hi nothelseth,
Scrapper power hammy plat t2/3.
My question to repair myself if am I wrong: I was have game, where I rush far and engage another scrappy. After around half minute I cap point (thanks blasty gyro) and still dueling with scrappy. Then from nowhere, our revenant come to " help me"… enemy engi run away and he chasing him. I was stay on point (enemy thief is somewhere near) then our rev run to me, with angry full hp scrapper in tornado and thief finish him. My thief fast help me and we secure point, BUT this rev send me many pms how bad I am and other rude words(something that I not heal him, support him) is that really nessesary for engi to be a healer or support? Sneaky on CD and thief use shadowstep stomp. So it was my fail that he die? This happen to me more times. And I dont know ehat more i must doo. I ress around 4 times ppl per game, removing condis on CD from them but healing i didn’t expect.

Thanks for answer, I need to clear it!

“Doctor suggest me, to stop play with engi because my fingers are broken.
So.. I start play scrapper. "

in PvP

Posted by: JahCool.3812

JahCool.3812

“not” helseth can you please tell me what is the optimal moa combo. I know you set it up with shield 5 but after that i sometimes mess it up.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

you wont be able to win this argument like that because alot of builds have counters which is why at high level plays 1 vs 1 go on for ever.

What i will agree with is that games speed has gone up 20 times, warriors use to set up bursts in 45 sec. Now in 45sec they need to land 3-5 bursts to stay alive.

Also build diversity is weak, its not about the skill it takes to play condi or power mesmer but the ability to play either at a high level.

I understand what you are saying though.

in PvP

Poelala.2830

you wont be able to win this argument like that because alot of builds have counters which is why at high level plays 1 vs 1 go on for ever.

What i will agree with is that games speed has gone up 20 times, warriors use to set up bursts in 45 sec. Now in 45sec they need to land 3-5 bursts to stay alive.

Also build diversity is weak, its not about the skill it takes to play condi or power mesmer but the ability to play either at a high level.

I understand what you are saying though.
[/quote]

>A lot of builds have counters which is why 1v1s involving skilled players last forever
That doesn’t make sense. Yes, builds have counters, duh. What does that have to do with the false assumption that 1v1s involving skilled players last forever? That’s false, and that is easily proven false. Look at the esl pro leagues, watch the entire streams, you’ll see that 1v1s happen quickly. Look at very skilled players like Min Scherzo, his 1v1s are relatively fast. Look at 1v1s with Drazeh against Helseth. Those don’t take more than 3 minutes. You’re confusing skill with bunker builds.

The second part of your response is unintelligible. Also, wars are considered tanky bursters by EVERYONE, look at Sindrener, he speaks about them all the time that way, you’re wrong again.

And the idea that “build diversity is weak” makes no sense whatsoever. How does that make any sense at all? Like actually take your time and explain it to me thoroughly because it just seems as though you want to disagree with people without using any critical thinking faculties at all. Also, power mes is not viable in legendary EU play. Ask anyone, even the best of the best players, they’ll agree.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Not so helseth, i am being serious: how do you deal with Sind/Misha combo camping your home/mid 24/7?

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Poelala.2830

If you want to play power necro then I suggest you try out the meta power necro that 99% of the high ranking necros use now. You know, the build with some of the highest burst in the game..

Condi war is a rare sidespec compared to ZERKER war right now. I should also add that both condi war and zerker war are some of the highest possible skillcap specs.

In general, all the balance forum complaints are completely misinformed and based on a lack of knowledge on how to fight these builds which is very ironic considering that the complaint is usually ’’they’re unskilled’’. A personal pet peeve is people complaining about condi mes being ’’unskilled’’ and wishing for power mesmer to return, a build which didnt even require close to as much mechanical ability as the chronophantasma build does.

This is the one and only response I’ll give to someone trying to sidetrack this thread with useless complaints. If you want to enjoy such a thread, go ahead and join one of the many others on the forums or make another one yourself. I’ll use this space to help people who want to improve get better at the game. If you want to enjoy that offer I suggest you ask a question.

Again, you’re missing the argument. The heart of our complaints isn’t that something is “too hard”, that’s the face of it. The heart of our complaints is that playing the meta and fighting the meta is unfun.

in PvP

alemfi.5107

Again, you’re missing the argument. The heart of our complaints isn’t that something is “too hard”, that’s the face of it. The heart of our complaints is that playing the meta and fighting the meta is unfun.

What is your argument? Playing against the same builds is boring? There will ALWAYS be a meta. People will always play what is best. We actually have a reasonably diverse meta, with revenant unfortunately being a bit underperforming. Necro can actually do reasonably well with condi/power, with power being slightly stronger, and thus more represented by the meta.

If you don’t want to fight against meta builds, you probably need to go play in unranked or let your rank fall to an area where people don’t care about winning (bronze/silver). In a competitive environment, people will play to win, and playing the strongest builds increase your chances of winning.

If you are skilled enough you can perform reasonably well on builds that are NOT meta. I think sizer, for example, is still running sword/dagger. I’d rather not try to attack you personally with the “special snowflake” argument, so I won’t push it further. My suggestion, if you want to play a build that is off-meta, understand what makes the meta builds strong, look at what might be over-statted but that is not represented in the current meta, but fits in your current play style, and see what you can adapt in.

edit: If instead, you are stating that you are not enjoying playing the game the meta doesn’t change frequently enough, I think that is valuable feedback that anet should consider. However this type of statement isn’t well represented by complaints about stuff being too strong etc. I personally think that anet needs to provide more casual/diverse outlets for players to play in. Stronghold unfortunately wasn’t very successful at that, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t try to find other ways to provide other ways to play. A lot of games, ones done by blizzard for example, offer rotating “brawls”. I think that anet could benefit from looking at what makes people want to participate in an activity. For example, they chose to pin their beta map coliseum and it far overstayed its welcome. Leaving the availability of stronghold as it is, likewise is letting it stagnate as a mode. If, let’s just say, there was a 3v3 courtyard arena rotating weekly with stronghold 8v8 mode, I feel like different types of people might be inclined to try to play those modes while they are available.

(edited by alemfi.5107)

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Hello nothelseth!

I main and primarily play guardian/DH and currently am in low tier platinum though probably belong in high tier gold. While I am very confident in my mechanical skills, I think I lack when it comes to actually “playing” the game mode. My question is: Can you offer some general advice on rotations (for power-based guard/DH) and how they might differ for specific maps? Should I focus on side points, bunkering one specific point, avoid certain classes, try to isolate certain classes 1v1, +1 or not +1 certain scenarios?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

I can answer this question, others can offer insight as well.

My initial rotational strategy when at start of game as Guardian, I ask myself whether or not I can 1v1 those opponents successful with few risks. If it’s Ranger, Engi, Ele. I’m definitely not going far at start unless I know i’m getting a +1. The fight will drag on for too long and you have no idea how well your team will do in mid.

You go far, win the fight but lose mid, you know respawns are coming so tell them to play sides. Odds are, the enemy team always has that 1 person sitting in Mid for 15 seconds before realizing he should probably rotate. Your respawns should be able to win back home unless they start zerging. Chill at far because you just downed some one but ask for help because you know some one from mid will come, making it a 1v2. Place traps around the node’s circle (not on). Also watch the respawn time to see whether or not the person you just beat is going far.

Please let me know for specific team comps or maps for a more detailed explanation for that situation.

Foefire map. The enemy has any 2 combination of Engi, Ranger, Ele, you’re likely not going to take Mid all that easily (unless they’re bad). If that’s the case and your team comp is 0 Engi/Ranger/Ele, you WANT to communicate with your team to play sides before the game begins. Just say “Play sides if we lose mid” or “We have no sustains, we may have to go sides”. Even saying things like “Rotate around their Ele” helps tremendously when other players have 0 clue on their rotations.

I wouldn’t straight up say “we got to play sides”. Most people don’t like to be given orders but if you mention their team comp and what your team should do, it just helps. If you have that 1 or 2 players say “should we go sides at start?”, that’s a huge bonus. Agree with them and say where you’re going. In pug matches it doesn’t really matter whether 3 or 2 goes far at start because people are going to do their own thing anyways.

Believe it or not, 3/5 times your team will listen if you give opening advice. Players will read what you’re saying, then subconciously want to play sides if there’s ever a mid wipe. Repeat yourself cordially if need be, but not too excessively.

You MUST pay attention to the bottom right of your screen when it comes to respawns. Train yourself to look at the bottom right hand corner when ever you rotate to the enemy’s home because if some one just died, then you’ll have 15 seconds until they spawn. If some one died but their Name in the corner dissapears, you probably wont even have enough time to decap (because we’re guards) as they’ll likely get there before you will.

The biggest mistake people make are leaving a point when some one else is coming (they didn’t have map awareness) or they fight a self sustaining class like Engi, Ele, Ranger on a point that’s already theirs. The fight lasts waayy too long for any good to come of it. It’s just risky, and you’re not doing any good to your team who may have needed a DH’s +1 burst elsewhere.

At the first Mid fights, I almost always try to down Rev or Necro before they enter mid. I use Sword + Judge’s to get in close to burst, Revs never expect it. They’ll be less than half health before they go defensively and the same works vs Necros. This strat works best in Niflhel because you can cut across to them with teleports before they get to mid and/or you can use Sword#2 to teleport to mid if there’s some one up the stairs.

Worse case scenario, you’re stuck on a 2v3 and die but their cds are wasted and you did quite a bit of damage. Best case, you drop them like flies and win the mid fight. Strat works great if you had a thief or rev with the same idea. It’s almost never bad to do this strat vs a Necro because you need to burst them as quickly as possible so they can’t gain much lifeforce.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I hope you’re willing to answer this;

Mesmer, bronze 2, NA

What is the process for making a hard hitting power shatter? I have been running GS and Sword Shield and my shatters hit like kitten paws despite traiting and runes etc.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Starlett.9087

Starlett.9087

Hello helseth, is there any special trick/strat when there is a condi or staff thief 1v1ing you when you have the standard thief D/P build (with smoke, agility and shadowstep)? Or i should just try to skip that fight?

(edited by Starlett.9087)

in PvP

nothelseth.4621

Hello helseth, is there any special trick/strat when there is a condi or staff thief 1v1ing you when you have the standard thief D/P build (with smoke, agility and shadowstep)? Or i should just try to skip that fight?

Vs staff thief stealing/blinding them during the vault (they’re vulnerable at end of vault cast) is really good

In general though, even if you win, you have no business 1v1ing these builds. They’re specificly tailored to be more useful in 1v1 while they’re rubbish at roaming. Outplay them by being more useful on the map rather than wasting your time 1v1ing them.

‘’What is the process for making a hard hitting power shatter? I have been running GS and Sword Shield and my shatters hit like kitten paws despite traiting and runes etc.
’’

Hitting mirror blade → shatter is always gonna be a really high damage burst. Set it up with diversion stun or shield 5 → weapon swap → gs2 → shatter

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

@nothelseth: what qualities should some one who is multi classing look for in a person for a duo? I’m having a pretty difficult time getting above 1850 and staying there solo.

in PvP

Posted by: Vlad.1739

Vlad.1739

Situation: How to finish off an actually good mesmer as condi war. Tier: Mesmer who plays with competence and awareness in a 1v1 situation.

Required: teach me what do in the window where I am not at advantage or how to get the kill very fast when the mesmer panic kites

Scenario: How to force kill a mesmer (that actually knows how to play) as condi war after forcing skull grinder after blurred frenzy ending. Mesmer will panic and die (bad mes) or kite and do mini jumping puzzle long enough to stabilize. Swapping great sword and chasing does not gib a good mesmer and staying on mace I can not catch up. Good mesmer recovers and comes back with cooldowns, before mine are back and has advantage for 30 sec provided the mesmer does not make big mistakes he has a good chance of beating me in this time period.

in PvP

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Ok, let’s get a few things out there. This thread is ok — it could actually be really valuable to those who participate in it on a reasonable level. I see it as an honest attempt by a good player to offer help to other players. Having said that, let’s keep the tone relatively respectful and — as I’ve said before — save the overt aggression for the battleground.

A few of you were concerned about the use of the term “pleb.” It’s not the greatest term, but I seem to remember when newbie/noob/n00b was considered the height of insult and it’s now commonplace and pretty acceptable across the board.

The ground rule is this:

• A generic reference = ok. Example: “The average pleb will…”
  • A direct referral to another player as a pleb = not ok. “You’re a pleb.” “You play like a pleb.” “Your socks carry the unmistakable odor of plebism.”
  • Other types of insults aren’t good, either.

If you’re going to report, look at what’s being said. If you’re going to try an attack or a counter attack, may I politely introduce you to your choice of PvP modes rather than doing it on the forums?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

“Your socks carry the unmistakable odor of plebism.”

hahaha love this one….. ^

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

nothelseth.4621

Situation: How to finish off an actually good mesmer as condi war. Tier: Mesmer who plays with competence and awareness in a 1v1 situation.

Required: teach me what do in the window where I am not at advantage or how to get the kill very fast when the mesmer panic kites

Scenario: How to force kill a mesmer (that actually knows how to play) as condi war after forcing skull grinder after blurred frenzy ending. Mesmer will panic and die (bad mes) or kite and do mini jumping puzzle long enough to stabilize. Swapping great sword and chasing does not gib a good mesmer and staying on mace I can not catch up. Good mesmer recovers and comes back with cooldowns, before mine are back and has advantage for 30 sec provided the mesmer does not make big mistakes he has a good chance of beating me in this time period.

Swapping greatsword and timing your arcing slice is while mesmer is kiting is how you finish mes off.

Dont underestimate how useful your autoattacks are. Just follow and hit arcing slice for the finisher. If you’re not confident in finishing them off stay on node and get decap/fullcap tics which you can later use to kite.

I have no idea about the situation you’re giving because it’s too vauge. You don’t auto win the duel just because you hit 1 skullgrinder. Hes on sword/shield set and you hit a mace f1, this tells me that the mesmer has been on staff, swapped to sword/shield, used blurred frenzy. usually, most mesmers use blurred frenzy before block due to being afraid of signet of might. If this is the case, chasing the mesmer and forcing out his block so that you can dodge the phantasms will put you at a massive advantage. After this the mesmer has no offense and has no realistic way to go on node.

Does this sound applicable to your scenario?

‘’@nothelseth: what qualities should some one who is multi classing look for in a person for a duo? I’m having a pretty difficult time getting above 1850 and staying there solo.’’

Better question is what someone should be duoing for what class you play. You multiclassing is great but it doesnt tell me anything. The only answer I can really give is ‘’another multiclasser’’.

Now if you were to say ‘’I multiclass but I mainly play necro’’ then I could suggest an ele or engi partner.

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Ok, let’s get a few things out there. This thread is ok — it could actually be really valuable to those who participate in it on a reasonable level. I see it as an honest attempt by a good player to offer help to other players. Having said that, let’s keep the tone relatively respectful and — as I’ve said before — save the overt aggression for the battleground.

A few of you were concerned about the use of the term “pleb.” It’s not the greatest term, but I seem to remember when newbie/noob/n00b was considered the height of insult and it’s now commonplace and pretty acceptable across the board.

The ground rule is this:

• A generic reference = ok. Example: “The average pleb will…”
  • A direct referral to another player as a pleb = not ok. “You’re a pleb.” “You play like a pleb.” “Your socks carry the unmistakable odor of plebism.”
  • Other types of insults aren’t good, either.

If you’re going to report, look at what’s being said. If you’re going to try an attack or a counter attack, may I politely introduce you to your choice of PvP modes rather than doing it on the forums?

I’ve whipped up a visual example of your explanation of what’s A-ok!

Attachments: