Ask not what your developer can do for you...

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

now it is the fault of the community if the game is decaying day by day?
lol ok if you like to think so

Meanwhile anet was good and did everything possible for his community

most beautiful side of the coin

in PvP

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Again, it has nothing to do with who’s job it is to make the game successful. It’s being proactive.
If you don’t want to help make this happen, that’s fine. If this becomes successful and you want to get in on the action, that’s fine too.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in PvP

Posted by: tOss.9024

tOss.9024

one question…..Why?

Dont get me wrong love the gw2 game but….why?

If the systems aren’t in the game why should we go out of our way to make a makeshift infrastructure that would be semi stable at best……

Should of been launched with it……

Current system is like LoL w/o ELO or GvG’s in GW1 without a rating system….

Most people have moved on to the new halo or the new cod and even back to WoW…..and with planet side 2 coming in mere hours…..there really is no point in pvping until these BASIC structures are in….

Because people want certain things and they aren’t here yet officially. So why wait around when we can organize it ourselves?
I find this so strange honestly. That so many people say they like the game but don’t want to do anything but gripe at Anet instead of doing things themselves.
Counter strike started with no infrastructure to support large scale stat tracking and it became the biggest game in esport. Players made their own leaderboards, clans, clan sites, and arranged their own tournaments.
When players wanted deathmatch, or something else they changed the game.
Players these days want to blame the developers so much, that they forget how little the developer has to do with just how far a game goes.

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

Again, it has nothing to do with who’s job it is to make the game successful. It’s being proactive.
If you don’t want to help make this happen, that’s fine. If this becomes successful and you want to get in on the action, that’s fine too.

if i buy a car with no radio and they said me the radio was in the price of the car, i wont start sing while driving until they will give me the radio.

unluckly the wideogaming “world” has his own rules and companies can do what they please after they received OUR money.

we payed full game to play bwes’ (alpha test) and now we are still playing a closed beta (you have to pay the game to play so it is closed). and what we have now? 2 devs to take care of a portion of the game. and look…seems they don’t care about a lot of things they said neither a lot of nice suggestions by community. and one year ago they claimed gw2 as an esport….one year ago, and still we have NO infrastructure for esport.
nice

in PvP

Posted by: Daays.4317

Daays.4317

Infrastructure. Infrastructure. Infrastructure.

I want you to say that word. Look up the definition. Memorize it. Because it is the single most important thing to any game.

Nothing can grow and flourish without proper infrastructure.

Right now, GW2 lacks PvP Infrastructure. You have the entry level, 8v8 zerg that allows you time to learn your class. You have target dummies to test things on.

No duels to test certain builds/skills vs friends.
No ladder system for the casual players.
No private servers for the pro players.

If a game is worth playing, and even with its faults GW2 is still a great PvP game, then the community will take hold and grow.

But they can’t without the proper Infrastructure.

This is what GW2 is lacking. This is what LoL was lacking when it was created. This is what they strived to put into their game over a year later. Now LoL is the largest e-Sport out there.

ANet needs to stop their balancing changes. This game doesn’t need perfect balance.

It needs Infrastructure.

in PvP

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

if i buy a car with no radio and they said me the radio was in the price of the car, i wont start sing while driving until they will give me the radio.

unluckly the wideogaming “world” has his own rules and companies can do what they please after they received OUR money.

we payed full game to play bwes’ (alpha test) and now we are still playing a closed beta (you have to pay the game to play so it is closed). and what we have now? 2 devs to take care of a portion of the game. and look…seems they don’t care about a lot of things they said neither a lot of nice suggestions by community. and one year ago they claimed gw2 as an esport….one year ago, and still we have NO infrastructure for esport.
nice

So you’re frustrated at the devs. This thread isn’t about the devs, it’s about a community project. If you want to complain about the devs, do it in another thread.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in PvP

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

If the devs (and i’m not putting any kind of blame on anyone) could implement only one tool to foster this sort of thing, it would be observer mode. Bottom line is if you want something like this to take off, broadcasting it with a good promoter on twitch would be the best way to do it and without that tool, it’s basically going to have to rely on a basic website to deal with it. I’m not a sPvP’er yet, so i can’t comment on the dynamics or mechanics, but i can put a site together and build ladders, but it would be really tough to promote it to the mainstream crowd without observer mode. You really need to centralize a viewer channel and get people watching.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

in PvP

Posted by: Syeria.4812

Syeria.4812

We will continue to listen to your posts about balance.

well if we look at the last patch you guys are not listening

There’s a massive difference between “listening” and “blindly following extremely bad advice from people wholly unqualified to offer it.” Most of the suggestions for how to balance out of the community were awful. The useful information to listen to is the question of what needs balance and perhaps the why it’s needed. The community cried out about bunkers, and both guardian and ele bunkers were significantly toned down. Thief was adjusted (though not to the ridiculous degree the community demanded) and the culling bug was fixed. If that’s not sufficient to mitigate the issue, they’ll do another pass.

The developers are listening, even if they don’t grant every single demand tossed their way. Just because your mom doesn’t buy you a pony doesn’t mean she didn’t listen to you beg and plead. She just knows better than you do, and chose not to fulfill that request.

in PvP

Posted by: Pray.9751

Pray.9751

The developers are listening, even if they don’t grant every single demand tossed their way. Just because your mom doesn’t buy you a pony doesn’t mean she didn’t listen to you beg and plead. She just knows better than you do, and chose not to fulfill that request.

You are right, ranger is also completely viable now. Because it got buffed so much and everyone was glad that the profession with literally 0 use of any way shape or form began to shine in tpvp. From 0 rangers in paid-teams we’ve seen a 250% increase because of the patch. Yay arenanet. Good work.

in PvP

Posted by: Xaximbo.2763

Xaximbo.2763

you can’t do what people did in wow because of the structure of this game.

There are no factions nor open world pvp (WvsW is instanced pvp don’t get wrong, i’d not even consider it pvp) so you can’t say let’s fight on this zone , i remember doing it on duskwood in wow and it was fun as hell battle finished when only one faction had people lurking between the trees.

PvP at the entrance of the dungeons, where a group of 5 coordinated guys could kill 40 pve specced guys.

You can’t do this here not even in world vs world because if you want to form a group of 50 it will take ages to enter and this is the worst thing about wvsw you have to fix this.

Gw2 needs a wvw type map but more focused on small scale pvp with attractive rewards to gather, badges for killing people, and even world bosses where guilds should bring a pvp squad to cover the pve guys while they kill it.

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Gw2 needs a wvw type map but more focused on small scale pvp with attractive rewards to gather, badges for killing people, and even world bosses where guilds should bring a pvp squad to cover the pve guys while they kill it.

You haven’t thought this one through, and not thinking ideas completely through is what leads so often to the community making completely unreasonable suggestions that ANet would do better to ignore.

The problem is that when ANet ignores them, the community gets indignant, like they aren’t being heard. “You don’t agree, so you clearly aren’t listening” is a very childish stance to take and happens to be all to prevalent around here.

If you want small-scale PvP, you want the sPvP maps. There’s no way they can build some WvWvW scenario that’s going to reward small-scale. What is one good idea that wouldn’t lead to large zergs romping around a map? Do you restrict the number of players allowed in? Then you just get huge queues. To alleviate queues, you need to make more instances, but then it’s just some weird middle ground between WvW numbers and sPvP, and you’d still have people zerging around. Even if you had loads of objectives sitting around a map, people would tackle them together in a train, and others would complain about zergs. Hell, people complain about zerging in an 8v8.

If you want to be a small group that kills people waiting for dungeons, then I can’t empathize with you or your opinions. PvPing against people who don’t want to PvP or aren’t geared/specced to PvP holds absolutely no interest to me.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in PvP

Posted by: Jericho.4521

Jericho.4521

I’m all for players being proactive, but I’m not sure exactly what the devs want from us here. If there’s something we can do, I will by all means try to help the devs.

The simple fact is that PvP is losing players over time due to staleness, lack of basic PvP features, and poor class balancing / bug fixes that leave many people disillusioned of the whole thing.

I’ve said it before, but it would be great to have some open DIALOGUE with the devs much more often, not just a “We’re working on it, dun worry guys, k?” Maybe if we can get some serious questions answered, people we retain some hope of the future of PvP in this game. I want it to succeed, I really like this game!

in PvP

tOss.9024

you can’t do what people did in wow because of the structure of this game.

There are no factions nor open world pvp (WvsW is instanced pvp don’t get wrong, i’d not even consider it pvp) so you can’t say let’s fight on this zone , i remember doing it on duskwood in wow and it was fun as hell battle finished when only one faction had people lurking between the trees.

PvP at the entrance of the dungeons, where a group of 5 coordinated guys could kill 40 pve specced guys.

You can’t do this here not even in world vs world because if you want to form a group of 50 it will take ages to enter and this is the worst thing about wvsw you have to fix this.

I’m not saying let’s do exactly what we did in WoW. Rather, let’s put forth the organizational effort we did then.

in PvP

tOss.9024

That small scale map is an excellent idea though. Maybe we’ll get that in the next expansion.

in PvP

Posted by: Fourth.1567

Fourth.1567

Wow, what an amazing thread. Thanks for starting it tOss!

It’s a great idea and one that represents a very different point of view. You guys can do a lot to push the current game, and I applaud you for making an effort.

But at the same time, some of this still falls on myself and other devs. We will continue to listen to your posts about balance. We will continue to push features forward that help you to enjoy the game (like custom arenas, matched tourneys, QP rankings, leaderboards, a way to spectate the game, etc).

I know it sucks that everything isn’t done right away, but just know that we’re still working on the features we’ve mentioned before.

Until you get custom arenas, you can definitely use the current PvP browser to set up 5on5 matches and settle disputes via 1on1 duels. We don’t want to tell you how to enjoy the game, and we commend you for using the current systems as you wait for future features to come online.

This post is rather unsettling though. I don’t believe anyone is asking for matched tourneys or rankings based on qualifier points. Quite the opposite, many people are directly opposed to those systems. Matched tourneys would only increase the chance the top teams meet in the final round and get the best reward. This is the lowest issue players have with the paid tournament system and wouldn’t help to address some of the more pressing issues.

With the current direction seeming to go so far against what players want I would expect the importance of players taking their own initiative or organize a competitive environment would increase. Mostly as a result of needing to sidestep what the game inherently offers.

I think we really need a poll to see how many people want to see a tournament based matchmaking system with an entrance fee or a standard elo ranking system to really show the devs what the community wants.

in PvP

Syeria.4812

Wow, what an amazing thread. Thanks for starting it tOss!

It’s a great idea and one that represents a very different point of view. You guys can do a lot to push the current game, and I applaud you for making an effort.

But at the same time, some of this still falls on myself and other devs. We will continue to listen to your posts about balance. We will continue to push features forward that help you to enjoy the game (like custom arenas, matched tourneys, QP rankings, leaderboards, a way to spectate the game, etc).

I know it sucks that everything isn’t done right away, but just know that we’re still working on the features we’ve mentioned before.

Until you get custom arenas, you can definitely use the current PvP browser to set up 5on5 matches and settle disputes via 1on1 duels. We don’t want to tell you how to enjoy the game, and we commend you for using the current systems as you wait for future features to come online.

This post is rather unsettling though. I don’t believe anyone is asking for matched tourneys or rankings based on qualifier points. Quite the opposite, many people are directly opposed to those systems. Matched tourneys would only increase the chance the top teams meet in the final round and get the best reward. This is the lowest issue players have with the paid tournament system and wouldn’t help to address some of the more pressing issues.

With the current direction seeming to go so far against what players want I would expect the importance of players taking their own initiative or organize a competitive environment would increase. Mostly as a result of needing to sidestep what the game inherently offers.

I think we really need a poll to see how many people want to see a tournament based matchmaking system with an entrance fee or a standard elo ranking system to really show the devs what the community wants.

I’m not sure if you’re understanding what he means by “matched tourneys” as revised matchmaking is likely the single most requested change on this forum. Even more than ladders, leaderboards, and nerfing thief, players have been requesting that. I’m not sure why you’d say that no one’s asking for it.

in PvP

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Fact is, in the two gaming forums I’m actively using, I’ve never seen people lose interest in a game so fast as with GW2. The threads are literally dead by now and the guilds we founded don’t exist any more. Two people have been posting there lately and said that if they hadn’t already quit playing, they would have done so after ascended gear was introduced.
Fact two, of all the people we invited to play the game, not a single one is going to pay for GW2 after this weekend. Even my gf stopped playing, although she really likes to participate in my hobbies (and she actually bought the game on release). I’m not really sure why I’m still playing, probably because I want to do world completion so I have seen everything and solo PvE is still quite fun.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

Fact is, in the two gaming forums I’m actively using, I’ve never seen people lose interest in a game so fast as with GW2. The threads are literally dead by now and the guilds we founded don’t exist any more. Two people have been posting there lately and said that if they hadn’t already quit playing, they would have done so after ascended gear was introduced.
Fact two, of all the people we invited to play the game, not a single one is going to pay for GW2 after this weekend. Even my gf stopped playing, although she really likes to participate in my hobbies (and she actually bought the game on release). I’m not really sure why I’m still playing, probably because I want to do world completion so I have seen everything and solo PvE is still quite fun.

I’ve seen this happen in literally any game with any hype. It’s contagious, forums are no longer filled with people discussing tactics and how to overcome balance issues, but people whining that they shouldn’t have to try hard to succeed in PvP.

You see this less so in other games simply because they are either:

1) Long time established
2) Not nearly as popular as GW2, so nobody cares to argue and whine, since they have no audience for it on those games respective forums.

Truth is, the internet has bred a community of complainers and whiners, it’s just the way things are now, and it won’t improve. On the contrary, I would venture to say, a lot less will ever go in your favor because you can’t pick out the good ideas from the bad with all the whining going on.

If you don’t like something, stop playing. If you like it, keep playing. It’s really that simple.

(Incidentally, this post isn’t aimed at anyone in particular, I’m quoting the above person for the statement about how quickly the game “died” in comparison to other games out there.)

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

(edited by aydenunited.5729)

in PvP

Posted by: Suzu.4193

Suzu.4193

one question…..Why?

If the systems aren’t in the game why should we go out of our way to make a makeshift infrastructure that would be semi stable at best……

Most people have moved on to the new halo or the new cod and even back to WoW…..and with planet side 2 coming in mere hours…..there really is no point in pvping until these BASIC structures are in….

Because people want certain things and they aren’t here yet officially. So why wait around when we can organize it ourselves?
I find this so strange honestly. That so many people say they like the game but don’t want to do anything but gripe at Anet instead of doing things themselves.
Counter strike started with no infrastructure to support large scale stat tracking and it became the biggest game in esport. Players made their own leaderboards, clans, clan sites, and arranged their own tournaments.
Players these days want to blame the developers so much, that they forget how little the developer has to do with just how far a game goes.

Sigh…your comparison is so horrid…..just wow…..

CS is an OPEN source game [in fact CS was a mod wasn’t even a standalone game], the players have control over the ENTIRE game, they can mod it however way they wanted, because they could change ANYTHING they wanted in the game, custom maps, custom game modes, admin powers, and ect. CS built a ladder system because they were given the power to do so. Was in Cal-M in cs man those were fun tournys.

In gw2 we are given no power no customization of any aspect of the game, being forced to play the same map rotation in tpvp and in spvp [not to mention how dismally bad crapicorn is].

And on top of all that we are forced to play Cap points? AB/RA/TA mix up of gw1….. AB was the least popular and least competitive of the pvp types, hell most people didn’t think of it pvp, just a way to farm faction.

If we started with deathmatch that would have given us flexibility, in that we could add more objectives. Impossible with cap points because we HAVE to sit in those mundane little circles.

So yes i still don’t see why we should bother.

in PvP

Posted by: Fourth.1567

Fourth.1567

I’m not sure if you’re understanding what he means by “matched tourneys” as revised matchmaking is likely the single most requested change on this forum. Even more than ladders, leaderboards, and nerfing thief, players have been requesting that. I’m not sure why you’d say that no one’s asking for it.

I don’t believe matched tourneys are the same thing as an elo rating system, it just sounds similar but would function completely different.

To me matched tourney’s sounds like the teams are just seeded so the team with the most qualifier points plays the team with the least in the first round and eliminates them. A change like that wouldn’t fix any of the major issues with paid tournaments.

What it could also mean is that there are multiple tournament queues present representing a different skill bracket or splitting premades and random queue. I would be for splitting premades vs random queue, but do not believe this game has the numbers to also split free tournaments based on skill as this would just skyrocket wait times. This couldn’t be applied to the paid tournament system either.

in PvP

tOss.9024

one question…..Why?

CS is an OPEN source game [in fact CS was a mod wasn’t even a standalone game], the players have control over the ENTIRE game, they can mod it however way they wanted, because they could change ANYTHING they wanted in the game, custom maps, custom game modes, admin powers, and ect. CS built a ladder system because they were given the power to do so. Was in Cal-M in cs man those were fun tournys.

In gw2 we are given no power no customization of any aspect of the game, being forced to play the same map rotation in tpvp and in spvp [not to mention how dismally bad crapicorn is].

And on top of all that we are forced to play Cap points? AB/RA/TA mix up of gw1….. AB was the least popular and least competitive of the pvp types, hell most people didn’t think of it pvp, just a way to farm faction.

If we started with deathmatch that would have given us flexibility, in that we could add more objectives. Impossible with cap points because we HAVE to sit in those mundane little circles.

The point isn’t the mods themselves, just like the WoW comparison wasn’t about doing world or faction PvP. It is show that communities put in an effort, and the effort is what made the game great.
sPvP and WvWvw can be so much more than it is now. To many people just want Anet to hold there hands and show them were the fun is.
In my opinion, mmos are less about the content devs give us and more about what we do with it.

in PvP

Suzu.4193

one question…..Why?

The point isn’t the mods themselves, just like the WoW comparison wasn’t about doing world or faction PvP. It is show that communities put in an effort, and the effort is what made the game great.
sPvP and WvWvw can be so much more than it is now. To many people just want Anet to hold there hands and show them were the fun is.
In my opinion, mmos are less about the content devs give us and more about what we do with it.

Exactly we cant do ANYTHING… sigh still don’t get my point? cs worked because it was open source, WoW worked because PvP was world wide with private duels, you could pvp where ever you wanted. The arenas system came about because of all the dueling.

GW2 does not have that flexibility at all, we just get haphazard servers with very little structure or customization. We cant even duel in Heart of the mists, devs want us to play how they think it will be the easiest to balance for “e-sport”.

in PvP

Posted by: Noctred.6732

Noctred.6732

The problem is that GW2, or at least it’s PvP side, isn’t a sandbox design. It’s straight theme park.

The entire system is formally structured with very specific intentions but the fundamental features required to fulfill those intentions simply don’t exist right now. So, it’s more like a broken down theme park – or one that’s still under construction.

in PvP

Syeria.4812

I don’t believe matched tourneys are the same thing as an elo rating system, it just sounds similar but would function completely different.

To me matched tourney’s sounds like the teams are just seeded so the team with the most qualifier points plays the team with the least in the first round and eliminates them. A change like that wouldn’t fix any of the major issues with paid tournaments.

What it could also mean is that there are multiple tournament queues present representing a different skill bracket or splitting premades and random queue. I would be for splitting premades vs random queue, but do not believe this game has the numbers to also split free tournaments based on skill as this would just skyrocket wait times. This couldn’t be applied to the paid tournament system either.

I guess we’d need clarification on what he meant by that then.

As for if it’s splitting premades from pugs, this would likely help paids indirectly by increasing their accessibility. Separating premades makes tournaments more accessible in general, which should increase interest in tournaments, and therefore increase the number of teams that are formed and playing. Obviously that sort of growth would take some time, but any solution for paids really needs to have a long term outlook.

in PvP

Suzu.4193

one question…..Why?

Wow, you literally have no idea how CS works, but claim to have been -M. Yep, and I’m CEVO-P…

What do i not understand? Counter strike was a mod to the source games, using the same character models and same game engine. [im talking about cal-m 1.6 MANY MANY years ago i started CS 8 years ago infact]. It is an open source game, players can start their own server or rent a server from different companies, and that is where scrims came in. Top clans registered in the Cal series and match ups were made and tourny dates were posted.

Steam name is XenogearX my steam id is 6 digits and 8 years old [what CS players used as rank in the early years of the game if you didn’t know]

So no i don’t have any idea what your post means to me and seems like you your self has not played any cs?

Back on topic….wait your post was off topic.

(edited by Suzu.4193)

in PvP

Syeria.4812

one question…..Why?

Wow, you literally have no idea how CS works, but claim to have been -M. Yep, and I’m CEVO-P…

What do i not understand? Counter strike was a mod to the source games, using the same character models and same game engine. [im talking about cal-m 1.6 MANY MANY years ago i started CS 8 years ago infact]. It is an open source game, players can start their own server or rent a server from different companies, and that is where scrims came in. Top clans registered in the Cal series and match ups were made and tourny dates were posted.

Steam name is XenogearX my steam id is 6 digits and 8 years old [what CS players used as rank in the early years of the game if you didn’t know]

So no i don’t have any idea what your post means to me and seems like you your self has not played any cs?

Back on topic….wait your post was off topic.

Counter-strike isn’t (and has never been) open source. Modding is possible, but while there are significant options, much of the modding is very limited. There has never been a ladder system in CS. While outside groups (CAL, CEVO, ESEA) have set up their own leagues, they’re certainly not ladders. 6-dig Steam accounts ran out 9 years ago. Legit-proof has no record of any league player ever using that name.

Now, on top of all that, Anet has said their current priority is custom servers, which would bring in a lot of those features you state are what made CS work. Yet, when it was revealed that’s what they’re working on, the majority of people on this forum flipped out and whined about it. These servers are something that will be coming out, and presumably soon, so your complaints on that point are extremely temporary and don’t really provide anything.

in PvP

Posted by: Noctred.6732

Noctred.6732

CS ( the original ) is open source (source as in the SOURCE game franchise) it was a mod to the source games and it wasn’t until later on they became a stand alone game.

I don’t think you understand what open source means…

in PvP

Suzu.4193

CS ( the original ) is open source (source as in the SOURCE game franchise) it was a mod to the source games and it wasn’t until later on they became a stand alone game.

I don’t think you understand what open source means…

Im not talking about open source [as in linux ect] meant it as it was an open mod to the source game.

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Until they have custom servers, it’ll be more difficult to organize anything. It doesn’t mean you can’t pop into an empty server and have fun/organize whatever, but it does put a damper on it.

Once they have custom servers, it should be what people need to do whatever they want. Third-party tournaments/leagues, custom pub servers, you name it. That’ll be more akin to something like CS.

Also, Counter-Strike was developed as a mod to Half-Life 1, which was apparently a heavily modified version of the Quake engine. Source was developed for Half-Life 2, which introduced Counter-Strike: Source (and also the death of logical flashbangs). Using the phrase “open source” to reference the original Counter-Strike is entirely mis-informed, especially since Valve purchased the rights to the mod back in 2000.

Also, I started playing around v1.3’s release in 2001. I’ve been a member on Steam since over 9 years ago. This whole 6-digit ID thing is potentially the most ridiculous chest-puffing metric I’ve ever seen, as I’m pretty sure CS1.6 was a general disappointment anyway. To emphasize saying you played “MANY MANY” years ago is insane to me, as I started multiple years before you, and I know there are those who started even before me.

So relax.

At the end of the day, there’s no reason not to try to organize your own competition if you enjoy the game. If you don’t enjoy the game, ask yourself what you’re doing here, because you aren’t going to suddenly support yourself financially off of GW2. If you can’t answer, maybe you should look for ways to actually have fun (perhaps organizing a competitive league?) or leave and wait for the features to be developed. You aren’t paying a sub. You most likely aren’t going to be some hugely popular e-star in GW2. Have fun now, or have fun later.

But there’s no reason to try to drag down a thread simply because you desire to be argumentative.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in PvP

Posted by: JimTN.2706

JimTN.2706

I completely agree with your idea here tOss. I’ve been playing mmo’s for longer than I’d like to admit and I’ve played every major one in the last 15 years. That being said I completely agree with the idea that it is OUR responsibility as a community to push for what we want/need out of PvP. The dev’s have given us a canvas and we are to paint upon it as we see fit.
As for you nay sayers, please don’t compare this game to WoW or any other faction based game. This is a case of apples and oranges. The original GW was based almost solely in the realm of PvP and the sPvP was second to none. I have high hopes for what lies ahead in GW2. It will be different and yet true to the good ol’ GW style. We as players must embrace the change and give constructive feed back to the dev’s to ensure our time playing this game is fun for all.
We should also remember that this game hasn’t been out for very long at all, 3 months by my count. So far the game is rolling along nicely. I’m glad to see players are enjoying it. If you don’t like the style or feel of a game, play another. Don’t expect to buy a game and have it’s dev’s change it to fit you. Adapt to the style and enjoy the journey. Don’t expect instant gratification from an mmo either, it’s always a long haul in which the path itself is always more rewarding than the rewards at the end.
Again, kudos to you tOss. I hope to see more development with this as the game pushes forward.

in PvP

Posted by: go to sleep.6187

go to sleep.6187

mehhh… just give us solo queue match making and a ladder. thanks…

in PvP

tOss.9024

Im glad to see some are on board for this. Please see the dueling centre thread if you would like to join us in preparing for a 1v1 tournament.

in PvP

Posted by: Jeeber.2037

Jeeber.2037

OP I respect and admire your attitude, and I agree that there’s far too much QQ on these forums in general, but you’re forgetting that customer expectations have moved on dramatically since the early days of WoW. Maybe in the early days of online gaming people were more willing to find ways of implementing features they wanted in a game because the entire concept of what experience an online game offered was still being defined. Over a decade on, people shouldn’t have to make the extra effort to artificially create facilities that should have been offered out of the box. I never played GW1 so I had no pre-expectations, but if I were an old GW1 player I would have expected everything that made the first game great to come pre-packaged and ready in this game, and apparently that just didn’t happen. Now add to that the class imbalances and continual bugs, and you begin to see why people shouldn’t be blamed for not putting the “extra effort” in.

Years ago anti-lock breaks were a new feature on cars. Now they’re standard issue. Do we really have to reinvent the wheel and then wait for things to “evolve” each time a company brings out a new model (especially when they had a perfectly successful template to work from in the first place…?). Would you shout and beg the car dealer for the features you wanted, and keep shouting until you felt like you were talking to yourself, or would you just buy a different model?

in PvP

tOss.9024

OP I respect and admire your attitude, and I agree that there’s far too much QQ on these forums in general, but you’re forgetting that customer expectations have moved on dramatically since the early days of WoW. Maybe in the early days of online gaming people were more willing to find ways of implementing features they wanted in a game because the entire concept of what experience an online game offered was still being defined. Over a decade on, people shouldn’t have to make the extra effort to artificially create facilities that should have been offered out of the box. I never played GW1 so I had no pre-expectations, but if I were an old GW1 player I would have expected everything that made the first game great to come pre-packaged and ready in this game, and apparently that just didn’t happen. Now add to that the class imbalances and continual bugs, and you begin to see why people shouldn’t be blamed for not putting the “extra effort” in.

Years ago anti-lock breaks were a new feature on cars. Now they’re standard issue. Do we really have to reinvent the wheel and then wait for things to “evolve” each time a company brings out a new model (especially when they had a perfectly successful template to work from in the first place…?). Would you shout and beg the car dealer for the features you wanted, and keep shouting until you felt like you were talking to yourself, or would you just buy a different model?

I can agree that they could have had more done, and I also agree that the modern game is expected to have more in regards to organization. But my best experiences in mmos have been about 10% structured/dev implemented activities and the rest has always been the ideas my mates or community has come up with.

Edit: I use could here for lack of a better word. I cannot speak for what they had time to get done. From my understanding, “when it’s ready,” really means as long as our publisher will let us wait.

(edited by tOss.9024)

in PvP

Posted by: Prinzkaos.4052

Prinzkaos.4052

They need to remove the falling thing when you get kill and still alive. It doesn’t make sense in pvp. i have drop a lot of pvp in wvw and some noob just rez them. Don’t make no sense. Is hard to win 2v1 or 3v1. remove the after life stuff plz