Balance Goals for the Winter 2016 Update

in PvP

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

The dragonhunter elite specialization has proven to have a very solid impact in many areas of the game……

WUT ????

Are you serious ?
Which areas ? Puzzle jump ? Trading ?

(edited by Kicast.1459)

in PvP

Posted by: Ithir Darkleaf.7923

Ithir Darkleaf.7923

The dragonhunter elite specialization has proven to have a very solid impact in many areas of the game……

WUT ????

Are you serious ?

Go back to your cave, Dragonhunter as been used (and dominating) in SPVP at least since HoT launch even with the nerfs it got.

Now on the topic, it seems like a general good approach of changes and Diamond Skin was the worst trait ever implemented (terrible because of its opness), I’m glad it will get reworked. Hopefully we will get today more specific details about the changes

~ The light of a new day

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

please take a look a dragonhunter longbow skill trueshot too, that skill does so much dmg while on ranger the only dmg skill is on a long channel so it is much more easy to avoid its dmg
at the moment the dragonhunter is the much better ranger
not only are its traps much strong the bow is also stronger as on ranger
oh and of course improving some AA on ranger would be nice too as it does not even do as much dmg as current thief autoattacks

yes and Anet while you’re looking at True Shot please take a long hard look at how hard Ranger Pets hit…..

If you make guard LB weaker than Ranger LB can guards also get some kind of Pet that does mega DPS in pvp. thanks

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

WUT ????

Are you serious ?

Actually in PvP. Esport teams might not be choosing them because they like their boring bunkers, but in street PvP DH is a pain in the butt. Their traps do way too much damage, classes without stability end up downed very easily and their bow does far too much damage. They totally dominate points in 1v1s and 2v2s and if 2 DH are present also in big team fights as well. Thieves and mes (non-bunker) get chewed up the most from what I’ve seen.

(edited by Vague Memory.2817)

in PvP

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

yes and Anet while you’re looking at True Shot please take a long hard look at how hard Ranger Pets hit…..

If you make guard LB weaker than Ranger LB can guards also get some kind of Pet that does mega DPS in pvp. thanks

ITT: People who are salty because rangers actually have burst now.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in PvP

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

please take a look a dragonhunter longbow skill trueshot too, that skill does so much dmg while on ranger the only dmg skill is on a long channel so it is much more easy to avoid its dmg
oh and of course improving some AA on ranger would be nice too as it does not even do as much dmg as current thief autoattacks

Unfortunately Anet doesn’t understand the principle of balance. If you make a class stronger in one area they should be weakened in another otherwise you get what we have to today. I agree about the ranger pets. If rangers are getting buffed up then their pets should be weakened, but maybe most rangers would prefer their pets get buffed as they usually play better than those guys who still only use rapid shot and point blank.

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

Actually it seems the rangers are Salty because Guards have decent ranged damage.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

zerker rangers having burst is OK, bunker ranger having burst is NOT OK

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Welcome to Celestial Wars

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Welcome to Celestial Wars

celestial should have never been added on first place

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

ITT: People who don’t want balanced game play.

in PvP

Posted by: Doon.2364

Doon.2364

Sounds like Guardians are basically getting the short end of the balance changes. If Dragon Hunter is nerfed too much, I fear they will become the new warrior/thief of 2016, no one will want them on the team. Let’s not repeat history with another class.

in PvP

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Well it’s only dragon hunter then, not guardian.

in PvP

Posted by: Silverwing.8750

Silverwing.8750

Thief is getting a damage buff, but will the traditional shatter mesmer be viable again? They have similar issues to the thief, a glass cannon type with low survivability, and with all the stealth reveal skills around now, their main disengage route (stealth) is greatly diminished. (If portal is on cooldown)
With the thief damage buff, will shatter mesmers just be thief fodder again?

in PvP

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

Thief is getting a damage buff,
With the thief damage buff, will shatter mesmers just be thief fodder again?

…………………………….Yes.

in PvP

Posted by: Eiffel.8937

Eiffel.8937

Don’t forget that you also have a pet – I hope you included that into your “we don’t do as much damage as a thief”.

no I did not forget about pets but the sad truth is that besides the two pets mentioned in this thread
the dmg from the other pets is neglectible especially if we are talking about frontline pets againts moving targets
if the pets would actually jump directly into the enemies face when I press F1 and did dmg I would not have complained about the low dmg of ranger AA compared to thieves

in PvP

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

New Celestial Amulet suggestion:

Power: 560
Condition Damage: 560
Precision: 560
Ferocity: 560
Vitality: 280 (Halved)
Toughness: 280 (Halved)
Healing power: 560

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Please just tell us that after this balance patch we won’t get hit for 24k Coalescence of Ruin double hits from a single cast in WvW.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Please just tell us that after this balance patch we won’t get hit for 24k Coalescence of Ruin double hits from a single cast in WvW.

Its your like..3 or 4 post in this thread about something noone care. It doesnt go anywhere so the qq is pointless. Dont want to be hit for 10k cor? Time to get toughness gear and move on.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in PvP

Posted by: Doon.2364

Doon.2364

Well it’s only dragon hunter then, not guardian.

That’s what warriors thought when they think “well Berserker sucks, at least it’s not warriors.” See where they are now. I don’t get the mentality to separate an elite spec with it’s core class. They are one in the same.

in PvP

Jana.6831

Don’t forget that you also have a pet – I hope you included that into your “we don’t do as much damage as a thief”.

no I did not forget about pets but the sad truth is that besides the two pets mentioned in this thread
the dmg from the other pets is neglectible especially if we are talking about frontline pets againts moving targets
if the pets would actually jump directly into the enemies face when I press F1 and did dmg I would not have complained about the low dmg of ranger AA compared to thieves

What auto attack are you talking about anyway? From which weapon?

in PvP

Xillllix.3485

Its your like..3 or 4 post in this thread about something noone care. It doesnt go anywhere so the qq is pointless. Dont want to be hit for 10k cor? Time to get toughness gear and move on.

Everyone in the WvW community cares about this. It’s why many people are just leaving the game. Toughness doesn’t change anything, you still get hit for 10k and the double hit still 1-shot you even if you have 3k armor.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

in PvP

Posted by: Blue Hare.8612

Blue Hare.8612

I don’t think it is a good idea to implement too many changes at once, you just end up overshooting in a way or another and get huge swings in balance. Just look what happened when Anet wanted to get rid of zerk meta, we are now in a complete opposite end of things.

Ppl demand big changes immediately but it is verry hard for Anet to strike balance at the first try. In PvP everything is connected to everything, if you change too much and nerf one class that pushed other off meta and buff the other one, the other one rises to the top and pushes someone else off meta.

Some argue that it is only fair for those op classes to be trash for once and the once underpowered classes to have their payback but that is just childish.

I do agree that the current situation needs some serious work but I would rather have more gradual changes and eventually reach balance. I made a fancy graph to better illustrate this:

Attachments:

{Lepus Timidus}

in PvP

Posted by: Zakhelm.4618

Zakhelm.4618

Please remove rune of Durability from PVP. When most of the meta is same exact rune. This does not bring build diversity to PVP. its gotten to the point I no longer have to place bets(friendly bets to see what classes we are facing and what builds there using) with guildies on what builds we are facing against in pvp. if you want accurate data on what the professions can do you should remove the rune. or else your data will be scued.

DH: Cause no one expects the Guardian to Snipe
Zachelm Guardian of Time-Keepers: Timekeepers HQ

in PvP

Posted by: TheOneWhoSighs.7513

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

Everyone in the WvW community cares about this. It’s why many people are just leaving the game. Toughness doesn’t change anything, you still get hit for 10k and the double hit still 1-shot you even if you have 3k armor.

As someone who is a major WvW & GvG fanboy.
I agree. CoR is ridiculous.
There’s little need for actual gank, other than a mesmer to drop GW on downs.

Granted, I think the absolutely OP banners & other keep upgrades (Airship is THE MOST BALANCED THING I’VE EVER SEEN IN THIS GAME Good job, ANet. Same with the 75% damage reduction on keep siege.) are more pressing.

“Unused Development Initiative. We care so much
about your feedback, that we don’t even read it.” ~ Crystal Suzuki

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

WUT ????

Are you serious ?

Go back to your cave, Dragonhunter as been used (and dominating) in SPVP at least since HoT launch even with the nerfs it got.

Now on the topic, it seems like a general good approach of changes and Diamond Skin was the worst trait ever implemented (terrible because of its opness), I’m glad it will get reworked. Hopefully we will get today more specific details about the changes

Non-existant in the pro league. Although I do agree with the nerfs just saying that in fact DH is not particularly strong the higher the level of play gets but a lot of things the class is based upon is garbage and needs to be fixed before they could get other boosts.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

I don’t think it is a good idea to implement too many changes at once, you just end up overshooting in a way or another and get huge swings in balance. Just look what happened when Anet wanted to get rid of zerk meta, we are now in a complete opposite end of things.

Ppl demand big changes immediately but it is verry hard for Anet to strike balance at the first try. In PvP everything is connected to everything, if you change too much and nerf one class that pushed other off meta and buff the other one, the other one rises to the top and pushes someone else off meta.

Some argue that it is only fair for those op classes to be trash for once and the once underpowered classes to have their payback but that is just childish.

I do agree that the current situation needs some serious work but I would rather have more gradual changes and eventually reach balance. I made a fancy graph to better illustrate this:

Are you serious all they do is gradual changes that’s why things stay over-powered for so long. As for one class being pushed off and another taking its place that is the way it’s going to be most of the time. There is no such thing as perfect balance. That doesn’t mean you don’t try to fix what’s wrong.

in PvP

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

Are you serious all they do is gradual changes that’s why things stay over-powered for so long. As for one class being pushed off and another taking its place that is the way it’s going to be most of the time. There is no such thing as perfect balance. That doesn’t mean you don’t try to fix what’s wrong.

Or you could have classes that just need to be shaved get totally destroyed in one patch.

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

and when will this be?

More deets on that tomorrow.

Did i miss the deets?

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

and when will this be?

More deets on that tomorrow.

Did i miss the deets?

When = Jan 26

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Yeah! He said we would have more details today! …I’m still waiting!

in PvP

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

I have never been hit once for 10+k cor on my rev and i have only..2650 armor. At best i was hit for 7k. I have also seen roaming tempest that i couldnt hit for more than 4k cor at max range so please..spare me this bs. Use proper build or learn how to position yourself.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in PvP

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

In general seems quite good in general, still worried about Necromancer that was already good, now is getting better. … Hopefully the maybes become a fact.

I wouldn’t worry too much. The Necromancer buffs aren’t aimed towards making the current meta build better, but bringing other builds and trait lines back into a comparable state. So, more diversity, same power.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in PvP

Posted by: Krittz.6013

Krittz.6013

For mesmers, they stun and daze which gives them a lot of control over a fight. There really isn’t a counter because most run boon strip, so your stuck wasn’t skills just to survive while they bounce around the field teleporting and stealth. I feel the window is far too small to actually attack the mesmer (and i’m talking about the good ones). And plz, get rid of the blind spam. They have no need for that…

For DHs, make their blocking virtue should only do reflection imo (not block). Their counter to melee is traps and they use a LB, so there is no need for many seconds of blocking vs melee. They should be kiting melee… (holy kitten, counterplay)

Just thought I’d add my thoughts since this topic is more official.

in PvP

Jana.6831

I have never been hit once for 10+k cor on my rev and i have only..2650 armor. At best i was hit for 7k. I have also seen roaming tempest that i couldnt hit for more than 4k cor at max range so please..spare me this bs. Use proper build or learn how to position yourself.

2220 armor – I have no screenshots of the other times I’ve been hit with 10k+ – or I didn’t find them.

Attachments:

in PvP

Xillllix.3485

It has nothing to do with positioning or builds. The skill has (1) a broken trait that doubles the damage up to 17-18k, 14k on heavy armor and (2) there is a bug that makes the skill hit twice the same target, so even if it hits “only for 9k” it will be doing 7k + 9k and insta-kill the heaviest of class.

There is nothing you can say that can defend such a damage burst on a 2 second cooldown.

In the screenshot I posted I got hit for 24k from a single key press at 1200 range. Even if I had been running full bunker I would have gotten hit for 20k and would have died instantly.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

in PvP

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

Actually the problem is not shifting meta, the problem is waiting 5 months between patches.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

in PvP

Malchior.5732

It has nothing to do with positioning or builds. The skill has (1) a broken trait that doubles the damage up to 17-18k, 14k on heavy armor and (2) there is a bug that makes the skill hit twice the same target, so even if it hits “only for 9k” it will be doing 7k + 9k and insta-kill the heaviest of class.

There is nothing you can say that can defend such a damage burst on a 2 second cooldown.

1. I know it’s just hyperbole, but it’s actually a 50% increase which admittedly should be changed. Far too punishing, but then again, Revenant’s don’t have very many burst skills to even take advantage of it.

2. I don’t think it’s actually a bug. It’s just multiple AoEs and you happen to walk into or step into a sweetspot where you take two hits. It’s not quite as common as people make it out to be though. Been playing WvW for a while with full Zojja’s and almost every single damage trait and I just barely hit over 9k every once in a while. Never hit over 10k and I could never tell if I hit anyone twice or not.

However, I do agree it needs a change. CoR already got nerfed to a limit of 5 total targets even though it spawns 3x AoEs so how about just giving CoR an ICD per hit?
How about shaving the damage on CoR and giving Hammer 3-5 the ability to kite enemies? As is, CoR spam is the only reason to take Hammer at all, aside from being our only ranged weapon.

in PvP

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

on my rev

See, there’s the issue right there. All the chest thumping is really him saying, “don’t nerf meeeeee……… pleeezzzz????”

Sorry dude, everyone knows that CoR hits way too hard. If you haven’t done that kind of damage yet, than it is in fact you that needs to learn and change their build.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in PvP

Blue Hare.8612

Or you could have classes that just need to be shaved get totally destroyed in one patch.

Exactly, my point was that you can’t fix everything in one go because you don’t know what kind of effects individual changes have to things you are not trying to change.

And of course in an mmo there is never “perfect” balance, but if you do gradual changes there will never be such a big disparity between professions as there is now.

Just be patient and don’t pressure Anet to make hasty decisions that end up hurting the game. I rather have something working eventually than something even more broken right now, I can play other games in the meanwhile (this is something I can do since there is no monthly subscription fee).

Guild Wars should have a beta/test client that gets updates before the main client. This way Anet could test out patches before they implement them to the game. Of course it would require collaboration from the playerbase to use the test client/server whatever.

Or they could set up an “Experimental PvP arena” that lets players to test out the new patch before it is implemented to the main game. I don’t know what kind of internal testing they have but seeing as thing are now it doesn’t seem to be enough. There was the betaweekends before HOT but it was only for those who preordered (Preordering is bad, don’t do it). It could be hard to make this work inside the main game, I don’t know if it is possible to run different builds of the game in different instances. They could probably make “shadow professions” that are essentially the same as the main ones but with the changes they are testing. (Dunno why I’m even writing this…)

{Lepus Timidus}

in PvP

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I’m gonna propose something crazy here:

Don’t touch warriors or thieves. At all.

Instead, nerf everything else down to their level :P

sips his tea

in PvP

Posted by: Ara.4569

Ara.4569

Nerf everything to the level of the old overpower d/d ele that still exists but is completely overthrown. Do you understand what power creep is ANET ? DO YOU ?!!

Case study among others: foefire’s lords. Easily killed by a single player. So people want lords to be buffed significantly. But give them the support of chrono/tempest, and they are unkillable… Completely messed up.

Nerf everything at various degrees: CCs over stability, heals and active defenses over damage; but nerf everything: passive traits, CDs, amount/duration of boons, EVERY-kittenING-THING.

Balance team is a bunch of clowns, hurting the game to the full extent of their abilities.

(edited by Ara.4569)

in PvP

Xillllix.3485

Nerf everything. Do you understand what power creep is ANET ? DO YOU ?!!

Yeah and the power creep is the real reason why every squishy class had to go full bunker in the first place. If they nerf bunker they will be nerfing the symptom and not the cause, and everything will just get worse.

in PvP

Blue Hare.8612

Actually the problem is not shifting meta, the problem is waiting 5 months between patches.

Actually they are both a problem. If there is too long time between patches we are probably getting a really big patch that potentially changes too much and results a massive swing in balance (not to mention the frustrated players that are sick of waiting). But you can’t have patches too frequently either since players need to adjust to the patch and see if it is any good and what is wrong.

Well, the shift in meta is not inherently a problem but if the new meta is as unbalanced as the previous one then what is the point… Altho I gotta say that it can’t really get any worse so whatever.

{Lepus Timidus}

in PvP

Malchior.5732

Yeah and the power creep is the real reason why every squishy class had to go full bunker in the first place. If they nerf bunker they will be nerfing the symptom and not the cause, and everything will just get worse.

That’s…debatable. I don’t think bunker Tempest, for example, is fine.

Thieves almost purely play Marauder, not bunker (because, well, they can’t really).

Guardians are also thrust into burst and damage with Dragonhunter.

So, the only squishy forced into full bunker stats is the Tempest (actually uses Celestial) and that’s because they’ve been built to just sustain forever. There’s just way too much sustain and not enough good damage options, at least not against super bunkers like…Tempests and Chronomancers and by good damage options, I mean ones that encourage risky play with Marauder/Zerker stats instead of just out-sustaining everything with Celestial.

in PvP

Posted by: Gunlaugr.2716

Gunlaugr.2716

It is understandable that chronomancer will be shaved due to the strong bunker performance. However, based on what you decide to cut, it is likely that you will make shatter chronomancer even more obsolete. Particularly if you plan to increase thief damage output simultaneously. Steal+Backstab+2 auto atk is already devastating against a shatter mesmer.

If you want to move the meta in a faster-paced direction, don’t gut the shatter mesmer.

in PvP

Posted by: Ara.4569

Ara.4569

Risky play with marauder… You mean, like, scrapper ? Just trolling.

Balance team is a bunch of clowns, hurting the game to the full extent of their abilities.

in PvP

Xillllix.3485

Thieves almost purely play Marauder, not bunker (because, well, they can’t really).

So, the only squishy forced into full bunker stats is the Tempest (actually uses Celestial) and that’s because they’ve been built to just sustain forever. There’s just way too much sustain and not enough good damage options, at least not against super bunkers like…Tempests and Chronomancers and by good damage options, I mean ones that encourage risky play with Marauder/Zerker stats instead of just out-sustaining everything with Celestial.

I know, and playing tempest myself I can say I hate it. All the beta weekends I was asking for damage traits instead of bunker traits. They just never listened.

Tempest has no variety, all the traits are defensive, and auramancer wasn’t a good idea since it overlaps water. We certainy didnt need more healing and 7% more protection either.

What the ele needed was a range weapon that does faster spike damage to 1 target, as a complementary to staff, instead of warhorn which does nothing interesting at all and some kitten to survive all the damage buffs other classes got with their elite professions.

in PvP

Malchior.5732

I know, and playing tempest myself I can say I hate it. All the beta weekends I was asking for damage traits instead of bunker traits. They just never listened.

Tempest has no variety, all the traits are defensive, and auramancer wasn’t a good idea since it overlaps water. We certainy didnt need more healing and 7% more protection either.

What the ele needed was a range weapon that does faster spike damage to 1 target, as a complementary to staff, instead of warhorn which does nothing interesting at all and some kitten to survive all the damage buffs other classes got with their elite professions.

I forgot Tempests even had Warhorn :^)

They might be able to rectify these issues with this next patch by improving Scepter and reducing the sustain across the board (as in, almost every class needs sustain nerfs except Warrior and arguably Thief), although I’m sure it’s unlikely to succeed in just one patch. Regardless, I wont be playing Elementalist again for a very long time.