Balancing elite specs

Balancing elite specs

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

I always find it hilarious when people say that revenant block needs to lower duration completely ignoring the fact that its one of the very few blocks that lock the character in place.

Do you like … spam all your high dps/cc abilities when you see the BLOCK popup. Like seriously … you guys make me cringe when you type bullkitten like that.

If you can’t gut a character that has stationary block you are not good at this game. Regardless of how you feel about yourself or what yo mama tells you.

P.S: Thief main here.

I will just say that like for the mesmer, a shield block when you already have good evade on your main hand weapon is a lot. So duration probably needs to be reduced a bit.

This sentence right there is the only reason revenants are locked into specific weapon sets if they want to be viable. Even you OP, as a non rev realize that revs are locked into using sword in at least one of their hands.

Everybody shouts nerf this nerf that nerf this nerf that. How about you suggest something innovative like i don’t know … maybe rework ventari stance in something useful and have it match healbot ele or bunker druid and not being a complete trainwreck with 0 synergy with everything else and borderline impossible to control tablet.

(edited by Ravenmoon.5318)

Balancing elite specs

in PvP

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

I always find it hilarious when people say that revenant block needs to lower duration completely ignoring the fact that its one of the very few blocks that lock the character in place.

Do you like … spam all your high dps/cc abilities when you see the BLOCK popup. Like seriously … you guys make me cringe when you type bullkitten like that.

If you can’t gut a character that has stationary block you are not good at this game. Regardless of how you feel about yourself or what yo mama tells you.

Having block on shield, evade on sword, more block on staff, evade on Shiro util +technical invuln on heal means that you can delay your death for very long, so long that your cooldowns have a chance to come back.

I will just say that like for the mesmer, a shield block when you already have good evade on your main hand weapon is a lot. So duration probably needs to be reduced a bit.

This sentence right there is the only reason revenants are locked into specific weapon sets if they want to be viable. Even you OP, as a non rev realize that revs are locked into using sword in at least one of their hands.

So then you agree that this needs to be nerfed because it also reduces diversity for the revenants. Balancing weapons means buffing bad ones, but also nerfing the too good ones. Revenant weapons are all fairly good (unlike their legends), sword shield is just too much.

Everybody shouts nerf this nerf that nerf this nerf that. How about you suggest something innovative like i don’t know … maybe rework ventari stance in something useful and have it match healbot ele or bunker druid and not being a complete trainwreck with 0 synergy with everything else and borderline impossible to control tablet.

I don’t disagree with that. My post was about reducing the OP components of elite spec. There are a lot of things which can be changed to improve the game, but I don’t intend to suggest how to fix it all in one post :p

Balancing elite specs

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

If someone can press all those abilities in this order every time … they’re better player than you and them being revenants have nothing to do with your defeat. CPM is king in so many games, gw2 is kinda like it.

Balancing elite specs

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

All classes with blocks need the CD doubled. This also includes mesmer and warrior. Defenses and sustain need a nerf. I have been repeating this multiple times. No class should be able to 100-0 another class in less than 5 seconds while having enough sustain to last more than a minute. It kills build variety. If the sustain goes many different builds will become viable.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

Balancing elite specs

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Don’t own HoT expansion so I can’t say my experience playing them, but I being a gw2 player since per-launch I can share my experience playing against them….

Kitten Horrible

It’s not impossible to use a core spec and win, because the elite spec’s are being used by new players as well but in ranked season 2 and even unranked the effort that they have to use to be “efficient” in pvp, now put that build in the hands of a competent player who knows the class and mechanics of pvp?

No its horribly unbalanced and needless to say Arena Net will NEVER admit that Hot spec’s are better than Core spec’s because of politics. Whether this was done intentionally (which 99% would probably say yes) or that it was done to address profession issues and give them an option to break free of them the fact remains that Core builds are by no means statistically or mechanically comparable to the new elite specializations.

To put old players who don’t own HoT or new players who haven’t purchased HoT at this disadvantage is pathetic, it only shows the power of greed and not the satisfaction for the players. I still managed to get 3/4 of the way into ruby using non-HoT builds playing maybe 6 hours a week only because the professions I played I know well, but I still died to complete fools (shown by playing the easiest builds in beginner armor) countless times and I’d see them just button smashing to win. The good players using those builds just recked me over and over and I had no choice but to run or re-queue. Past update did several good things but balance should NOT be done in these quarterly updates, fix your game Arena Net. Do More balance patches, even if they are small changes address things that aren’t used and the ones that are overused, isn’t rocket science to know what is working really well and what doesn’t work.

Ahh, it looks like we got the same ol’ argument we’ve seen elsewhere:

“I’ve been playing this game for years and only had to pay $50, but it’s ArenaNet who is the greedy one, since they expect me to pay anything else for this constantly updated content, even when their primary competition would be charging me $15 a month on top of the cost of an expansion that’s even more mandatory than GW2’s.”

I was fine with the game at launch with a few balance patches, its only gone down hill since and with HoT, it was a huge hill to go down. So yeah, I don’t care to buy their expansion just so I can use the meta builds and have an easier winning experience. Money ain’t the issue, its principle and these “constant” updates" haven’t really been anything but balance updates which should never cost a dime.

And don’t pretend there aren’t numerous games out there that offer free updates to their content big and small. Its about fixing your game, not about scamming your loyal players.

Yea, I don’t buy it. If you really felt that way, you wouldn’t be here. You’d be busy playing one of those other magical games and not wallowing in your misery on these forums.

(edited by Dahkeus.8243)

Balancing elite specs

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Balancing is very tough. In a purely 1v1 setting you’d go by this formula for potential matchups:

y(x) =x(x+1)/2

We have nine classes so that would be:

9(9+1)/2 = 45 match ups.

That is for 1v1, for 5v5 we surely have many permutations. There are five players per team and nine classes from which to choose.

If there are nine classes in 5v5 then the number of combinations is obviously much bigger. The formula could be read as follows since classes can be repeated combination formulas apply rather than permutation and put some factorial operations to work:

(9 nCr 5)² / 2 + (9 nCr 5) / 2 =

9C5=9!/(5!*(9-5)!)

362,880/(120*(9-5)!)
362,880/(120*4)
362,880/480
=756

So 756^2/2+756/2= 286,146 potential matchups. As you can see that’s very hard to balance and doesn’t even factor in possible trait, gear, and rune combinations between them.

Balancing elite specs

in PvP

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

Balancing is very tough. In a purely 1v1 setting you’d go by this formula for potential matchups:

y(x) =x(x+1)/2

We have nine classes so that would be:

9(9+1)/2 = 45 match ups.

That is for 1v1, for 5v5 we surely have many permutations. There are five players per team and nine classes from which to choose.

If there are nine classes in 5v5 then the number of combinations is obviously much bigger. The formula could be read as follows since classes can be repeated combination formulas apply rather than permutation and put some factorial operations to work:

(9 nCr 5)² / 2 + (9 nCr 5) / 2 =

9C5=9!/(5!*(9-5)!)

362,880/(120*(9-5)!)
362,880/(120*4)
362,880/480
=756

So 756^2/2+756/2= 286,146 potential matchups. As you can see that’s very hard to balance and doesn’t even factor in possible trait, gear, and rune combinations between them.

Except we do not ask each match up to be balanced. We are fine (even happy) with some soft counters and some specialization (bad in team fight but good in roaming). So at the end, we just want all classes to be balanced with a “reference level”. So take one build as your reference and just make sure all classes are “overall” (meaning for their role and on average of possible matches) as strong. The problems of elite specs are obvious to many, many have good ideas how to balance them.

And a-net does not even need to try all possible combinations: they have a devoted PvP community (and in particular pro leaguers) who do that for them. So as long as they work by increments (and not by a release every 3 months) they have very little chance of destroying everything.

Balancing elite specs

in PvP

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

Because also having an underpowered set of utility skills makes the broken meta build less broken :^)
pro tip: ventari (and jalis) are both useful in the games most popular game mode and literally EVERY SINGLE class in the game has a variety of utility skills as well as weapons that are useless in at least one if not multiple game modes. That does not justify broken meta builds and revenant is no exception here.

Balancing elite specs

in PvP

Posted by: TheLargeUnit.2793

TheLargeUnit.2793

i give zero kittens about balancing elite specs. bring up the core specs to the same level first. this should be priority.

I believe this is the wrong way to go:

• buffing a core class also buffs the elite spec. As long as the two don’t have clear role separation, they don’t work independently.
  • It is easier to bring the elite spec (only one traitline, 1 weapon, 1 skill category and 1 class mechanics) to core level than the core (5 traitlines, many weapons, many skills and 1 class mechanics) to elite level.
  • pre-HoT was reasonably well balanced, with all classes almost as viable (ranger a bit weak but still played sometimes, ele a bit strong, the rest fine) and some having decent build diversity (medi-power-guard, medi-burn-guard, bunker guard for example, shoutbow and rampage warrior, etc…). Bringing elite specs in line means that this balance and diversity immediately comes back too.
  • power creep has really made the game less fun. PvP has become AOE CC and AOE damage and passive survivability everywhere. No need to target, no need to time your skills, just use everything out of cooldown and it will work more or less fine. Every class evade or blocks for half the time.

So no… nerfing elite specs is by far the best way to go.

(or maybe I misunderstood your message, it was not fully clear to me)

This exactly

Achmed Afro Thunder ~ Six Ft Pole Achmed ~ Dharok The Ravenous
Long Live [ASAP] Zerg: The greatest guild that ever was or will be.

Balancing elite specs

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

Because also having an underpowered set of utility skills makes the broken meta build less broken :^)
pro tip: ventari (and jalis) are both useful in the games most popular game mode and literally EVERY SINGLE class in the game has a variety of utility skills as well as weapons that are useless in at least one if not multiple game modes. That does not justify broken meta builds and revenant is no exception here.

#logc #noneofit

Balancing elite specs

in PvP

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

#logc #noneofit

#referringtoyourself #revenants #playingthevictim

Balancing elite specs

in PvP

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

“Nerf nerf and nerf all this bullkitten I dun like kittening greedy p2w ANET!!! Cause I’m actually a better game developer than you guise! I could make my own game in no time and completely put you out of business.”

Stella Truth Seeker

Balancing elite specs

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

Too late. other games already are doing that.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game