Bug abusing lightning whip

in PvP

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

This is clearly a macro to gain a gameplay advantage over other players, no reason to argue about that I think. And “everyone does it lol” isn’t an excuse for macroing and exploiting broken mechanics.

How is it clear? Why are you convinced people are macroing it?

It’s so freaking easy to pull it off consistently because unlike Mesmer Spatial Surge, Lightning Whip casts so fast you can easily get a rhythm for it.

And why are you trying to tell me that there is no one out there using a macro for that?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

This is clearly a macro to gain a gameplay advantage over other players, no reason to argue about that I think. And “everyone does it lol” isn’t an excuse for macroing and exploiting broken mechanics.

How is it clear? Why are you convinced people are macroing it?

It’s so freaking easy to pull it off consistently because unlike Mesmer Spatial Surge, Lightning Whip casts so fast you can easily get a rhythm for it.

And why are you trying to tell me that there is no one out there using a macro for that?

Innocent until proven guilty possibly? What evidence do you have that indicates anyone is guilty?

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in PvP

Posted by: imaclown.1628

imaclown.1628

You can basically admit that you exploit a certain mechanic and won’t even get banned?

It was pretty clear from basically every GW2 stream that any “high-level” DD Ele uses the stow weapon trick.

Still, I can easily point out who macros it and who doesn’t. Very few people DO NOT macro it actually. And I think this is an even better reason to look into it.
I don’t think increasing the cast time of Lighting Whip would be a bad thing to do honestly. This way, even if you stow weapons you won’t be able to get the double proc of Signet of Restoration. Watching D/D Eles going back to FULL HP in 4seconds after tanking a crit, Steal+Backstab combo is just ridiculous.

#balance #esports

This is the point where I think A.net should actually banhammer them into oblivion. This is clearly a macro to gain a gameplay advantage over other players, no reason to argue about that I think. And “everyone does it lol” isn’t an excuse for macroing and exploiting broken mechanics.
But knowing A.net and the way they handle things they either won’t do anything or just give them a slap on the wrist.

Because “pls dont leave us, we really esports now :c”

I can do it without a macro very very consistently, is it ok for those that can do it without macroing? Or are you under the impression it requirks a macro? Also exactly how much extra hp do you honestly think this trick gives?

I can also do it with necro axe 1 and mesmer gs 1 and I’m pretty sure there are some other occasions where I can utilize this all without macros.

Lol at people who think lightning whip is how eles go back to full life after being redlined. Clearly don’t know how to ele.

Attention Moderators I am not:
S P E E D starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD crappy d/D ele NA

(edited by imaclown.1628)

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

It’s not intended behavior, and we will be fixing it.

Edit: (Specifically the ability to increase the healing potential of Signet of Restoration by cancel-casting Lightning Whip after the first half of the animation.)

(edited by Josh Davis.6015)

in PvP

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

Edit: (Specifically the ability to increase the healing potential of Signet of Restoration by cancel-casting Lightning Whip after the first half of the animation.)

Good Job Anet.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

kokiman.2364

Does abusing it fall under the category of exploiting? I’d love to know that.

GuildWars 2

in PvP

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

It’s sad that Anet even had to confirm that this is unintended.

The people using it are bad enough and deserve no respect. The people actually trying to defend it should be banned…it’s beyond pathetic and evidences exactly the type of player you don’t want in a community.

in PvP

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I don’t understand the inflammatory tone of those against it, honestly. There are a lot of things like this that have never bothered me when they are used against me or by me, things like Mesmers/Thieves being able to teleport up certain cliffs, things like Asura being smaller and harder to see tells on (before generic models), AOE circles not being representative of the skill, and so forth. It’s something that I, as a player, have learned to play around when facing this kind of Ele, and I think that’s okay.

I mean, now that it is confirmed as unintended I’m glad that it will be fixed, but I don’t think anyone is deserving of a ban for using it or defending it. People who want to win will play with what is given to them, and tricks like this are a part of what makes a player really good versus mediocre. Granted, anyone who used a macro is in clear violation of the rules of conduct and should be banned, but just keying it up on your own is fine.

That’s my two copper, anyway.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in PvP

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

Grouch if you change spatial surge (and remove air/fire) as well mesmer will struggle. alot. Please remember this!

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Grouch if you change spatial surge (and remove air/fire) as well mesmer will struggle. alot. Please remember this!

Edit:

Interesting, so as we know, the unintended benefit from stowing Lightning Whip is specifically healing, which is now confirmed unintended.

However, there’s no specific mention of the unintended damage benefit from something like Spatial Surge. I don’t feel like Mesmer needs an adjustment down, but it does contradict the logic behind changing stowed auto-attacks.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

(edited by Chaith.8256)

in PvP

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

I respect your decision to give phantaram a permanent ban. Sorry to hear it came to this. Disgraceful.

Don’t be an kitten . Not much else to say, other than now having confirmation of ANet’s direction and stance.

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Edit:

Interesting, so as we know, the unintended benefit from stowing Lightning Whip is specifically healing, which is now confirmed unintended.

However, there’s no specific mention of the unintended damage benefit from something like Spatial Surge. I don’t feel like Mesmer needs an adjustment down, but it does contradict the logic behind changing stowed auto-attacks.

If they fix one, they will fix all. Just be careful their fix can sometimes bring in more unintended bugs.

in PvP

kokiman.2364

Don’t be an kitten . Not much else to say, other than now having confirmation of ANet’s direction and stance.

What stance? We still don’t know if abusing those unintended effects is a bannable offense.

GuildWars 2

in PvP

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

We still don’t know if abusing those unintended effects is a bannable offense.

As the saying goes after so long it becomes a feature.

If all that happens is this specific bug is worked around for being so apparent on tournament streams it will not help to close the gap between new and the informative players. The self cancel action key needs to retain its value in baiting out interrupts and certain skills like gw1 had while not shortening aftercasts (as well as other inconsistent means) since it contradicts the quickness mechanic.

On a side note I wouldn’t be surprised if a list has already been compiled that is still being looked into. The game is amazing and without subscription, but I feel the players need to push for it to get acknowledged. Next push, dealiverence.

It’s unfortunately a pretty buggy game if you were to grab a magnifying glass.

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

No one is getting banned over a bug with a skill. It’d be unrealistic to even consider. It’s like something being overpowered, just because it needs to be fixed doesn’t mean it’s a bannable offense to use it.

Generic rule: Does it break the market or give me an unfair advantage in it? Or Does this require 3rd party programs eg hacks and macros? = Ban

Also I saw someone post about teleports as being a bug akin to the topic at hand. Go watch the preview streams for “Courtyard”, Proof Z axis teleports are intended and balanced around.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in PvP

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

What stance? We still don’t know if abusing those unintended effects is a bannable offense.

This answer is obvious. Nobody has been banned for it, therefore it isn’t bannable. I assume ANet’s reasoning is this: “It’s our fault for making such an exploit possible, we shouldn’t blame the players for using it.” That’s just my belief. However, we do know it is not a bankable offense, as they haven’t been banning people for using it.

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

glad its gonna get fix’d

doubt theyll ban for it

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

lol if the game is broken, how can you expect people to not abuse it especially when there are no rules against it! Remember the Mesmer Chaos Storm fall damage bug! Good times!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Incorrect.

http://play.eslgaming.com/guildwars2/global/gw2/major/go4guildwars2-northamerica/monthly-final-december-2014/rules

3.8. Illegal Actions
Any actions that result in an unfair advantage are illegal. This includes bug abuse of any kind.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

lol if the game is broken, how can you expect people to not abuse it especially when there are no rules against it! Remember the Mesmer Chaos Storm fall damage bug! Good times!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Incorrect.

http://play.eslgaming.com/guildwars2/global/gw2/major/go4guildwars2-northamerica/monthly-final-december-2014/rules

3.8. Illegal Actions
Any actions that result in an unfair advantage are illegal. This includes bug abuse of any kind.

they won’t bann anyone for that heh or they would have to bann every single ele in tourneys

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

they would have to bann every single ele in tourneys

That would be fair.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

That would be fair.

The salinity is real.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

That would be fair.

when did anet or any gaming company in fact did anything ever fair… or at least, the way we (players) understand “fair”

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

Edit:

Very true, also i guess grouch specifically stated that they are going to change the SoR interaction with lightning whip, not remove the ability to stow it. So i guess mesmer might go safe for now!

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in PvP

kokiman.2364

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Incorrect.

3.8. Illegal Actions

they won’t bann anyone for that heh or they would have to bann every single ele in tourneys

You have to start somewhere, you know or else you can just remove that rule.

GuildWars 2

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Incorrect.

3.8. Illegal Actions

You have to start somewhere, you know or else you can just remove that rule.

Exactly

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

My experience has been that Anet generally takes a pretty lax stance against bug abuse/exploits unless they have directly translated into economic gain.

Unfortunately I do not expect to see any bans or suspensions.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Incorrect.

3.8. Illegal Actions

So? Who cares? It’s a violation of the rules, therefore anyone breaking the rules should be punished. IT’S A RULE. Why have them if they aren’t going to be enforced?

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

pvp needs more players not bans. they’re patching it. put away the kitten pitchforks people.

in PvP

Chaith.8256

So? Who cares? It’s a violation of the rules, therefore anyone breaking the rules should be punished. IT’S A RULE. Why have them if they aren’t going to be enforced?

You aren’t being disagreed with on the grounds that ‘rule breakers shouldn’t be punished,’ it’s more… ‘are they actually breaking the rules by using stow weapon?’

Getting additional sustain out the stow weapon feature is confirmed as unintended, but there’s no mention of the stow weapon feature being unintended for things like damage increasing Spatial Surge, or avoiding the Warhorn aftercasts. Heck, on D/D Ele you can avoid the aftercast on Ring of Earth by using Magnetic Leap after.

You can save time and aftercast on a sizeable list of skills by intelligently cancelling or stowing at the right times.

Banning players for weapon stowing sets a precedent that tournament admins can’t enforce.

IE:

“Oh and the Engineer on the Red Team used weapon swap to circumvent the intended big leap backwards from Acid Bomb and get unfair time to cleave the downed body, and it’s ALL OVER, Red Team Disqualified” #esports.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Nobody thinks you should be banned for this except salty people who aren’t even good enough to perform well in tournaments anyway! Anyways Grouch said it’s being fixed soon which is gr8! What more is there to talk about! If it’s not fixed on Tuesday, keep the QQ goin then! We can talk about how slow Anet is at patching on Tuesday! Vee Wee will lead the charge for that topic!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

(edited by ArrDee.2573)

in PvP

Solstice.1097

I think it is fair that this was exploited.

Now that Anet stated it’s not intended, if you continue to exploit it knowing that, then that’s pretty lame of you.

in PvP

Shockwave.1230

You aren’t being disagreed with on the grounds that ‘rule breakers shouldn’t be punished,’ it’s more… ‘are they actually breaking the rules by using stow weapon?’

Getting additional sustain out the stow weapon feature is confirmed as unintended, but there’s no mention of the stow weapon feature being unintended for things like damage increasing Spatial Surge, or avoiding the Warhorn aftercasts. Heck, on D/D Ele you can avoid the aftercast on Ring of Earth by using Magnetic Leap after.

You can save time and aftercast on a sizeable list of skills by intelligently cancelling or stowing at the right times.

Banning players for weapon stowing sets a precedent that tournament admins can’t enforce.

IE:

“Oh and the Engineer on the Red Team used weapon swap to circumvent the intended big leap backwards from Acid Bomb and get unfair time to cleave the downed body, and it’s ALL OVER, Red Team Disqualified” #esports.

Chaith is touching on the slippery slope I’ve previously mentioned before in one of these threads. As soon as you say you can’t stow weapon in situation A (ie lw stow), when people stow weapon in Situation B (ie spacial surge stow), or situation C (ie canceling a skill from going on full cooldown), or situation D (baiting actions ie CnD stow) people who don’t use stow weapon will start yelling for bans on stow weapon in every situation.

This is why ANet simply needs to take action to change the behavior of the skill in game.

Additionally you can’t even say that lw stow meets the criteria of a bug until ANet officially says it’s a bug. At that point lw stow would be allowed to fall under that rule referenced by ESL, even then ESL doesn’t have to say it qualifies for a ban under that rule if they have a reason not to. As it stands it’s officially unintended behavior (not a bug, while bugs are often unintended behavior, unintended behavior is not the same thing as a bug), it could have previously been intended that the skill fully activate halfway through it’s animation and it could also be intended that stowing weapons exist as a thing in GW2 mechanics. The oversight could simply have been no one anticipated combining that skill with that mechanic while Signet of Restoration is active.

All that said, I’m not for keeping ele lw stow as is. I’m simply pointing out that this is part of the game, and more importantly has been since launch and ANet has at least known about this for a year. This has allowed any top tier ele player to commit this to muscle memory, and it is not reasonable to have the expectation that telling people “this is banned” and expect them to not use this at all during a match when they don’t always have time to think about what they’re doing.

Again this is why ANet simply needs to make a change to it themselves, because it’s so long standing and has been known for so long it’s unreasonable to ban a whole team if their ele uses something that has been legitimate and follows the mechanical rules of the game for so long.

in PvP

Solstice.1097

stow weapon would wait until after the cast if cancellation was not intended.

its just the signet of restoration proc from lightning whip that was unintended use.

in PvP

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

Phantaram’s a pretty funny guy. Makes an entire thread about shaving ele down which includes fixing the lighting whip exploit. Wins WTS in Beijing. Defends against his own suggested nerf.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/balance/Suggestions-to-shave-DD-ele-into-balance/first#post4582911

in PvP

Shockwave.1230

Phantaram’s a pretty funny guy. Makes an entire thread about shaving ele down which includes fixing the lighting whip exploit. Wins WTS in Beijing. Defends against his own suggested nerf.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/balance/Suggestions-to-shave-DD-ele-into-balance/first#post4582911

If you’ve been reading, Phantaram is not defending against nerfing the lighting whip stow. He’s simply saying it’s not a bug or exploit, which I expand on above. We all want lw stow nerfed, even top tier players and that includes Phantaram.

in PvP

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

Is the fix in the Tuesday patch?

in PvP

Solstice.1097

Is the fix in the Tuesday patch?

pretty sure that was stated yes.

in PvP

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

If you’ve been reading, Phantaram is not defending against nerfing the lighting whip stow. He’s simply saying it’s not a bug or exploit, which I expand on above. We all want lw stow nerfed, even top tier players and that includes Phantaram.

Saying it’s not a bug when it clearly is is defending it. He’s well aware of the advantage it gives and exploits it despite saying it should be nerfed. That’s a bit hypocritical to me and a bit un E esportsmanshiplike. Har har.

in PvP

Solstice.1097

Saying it’s not a bug when it clearly is is defending it. He’s well aware of the advantage it gives and exploits it despite saying it should be nerfed. That’s a bit hypocritical to me and a bit un E esportsmanshiplike. Har har.

has he said that since after Anet stated it was not intended?

in PvP

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

pvp needs more players not bans. they’re patching it. put away the kitten pitchforks people.

The problem is that this has become a rather disappointing trend. No one seems to fear abusing exploits/bugs because no ones ever gets banned for using them, not even the people at the top who use them in official tournaments.

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

So any idea when the fix will be implemented?

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

So any idea when the fix will be implemented?

Ele deleted

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Ajax.5346

Ajax.5346

Anet isn’t going to say it is a bug – I bet my left nut on it. They probably consulted with their legal department and their advise was probably “say LW stow is unintended and keep it at that.” There are multiple videos on youtube, twitch, etc of the past tournaments. If Anet comes out and say it is a bug, participants can challenge the results and Anet wants to avoid that. They are not going to ban/susp anyone because that would confirm players were exploiting during official tournaments. They are going to cover their kitten first.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

IE:

It’s a bug. Something that is not intentional by design that happens while in game, aka using a mechanic, is a bug. Abusing bugs is stated to be against the rules. Therefore it is punishable if ESL admins want to enforce their rules against this.

I’m not doubting there are other bugs that are being used that are punishable by rule, but this is the biggest issue at hand.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Incorrect.

3.8. Illegal Actions

world would definately be a better place

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

I don’t agree that people using this bug should be banned. Let’s just hope ANET fixes it on Tuesday.

I do however think that anyone who is using a MACRO should be banned. ANET has said those are against the rules, so hopefully they do something about it.

in PvP

Chaith.8256

It’s a bug. Something that is not intentional by design that happens while in game, aka using a mechanic, is a bug. Abusing bugs is stated to be against the rules. Therefore it is punishable if ESL admins want to enforce their rules against this.

I’m not doubting there are other bugs that are being used that are punishable by rule, but this is the biggest issue at hand.

It’s good to differentiate between bugs, and unforeseen side effects of normal mechanics.

Bugs

• Some that come to mind: Confounding Suggestions suddenly causing Chaos Storm to stunlock, Riposte Bug causing high uptime of invisible projectile reflect shield.

Unforeseen usage of normal mechanics that sometimes require re-balancing:

• Unforeseen uses, like the 100nades mechanic I made a build around. 8 Nades sprayed in random directions – this has the unintended effect of a power nuke when used IN someone’s character model.
  • Every ability in the game that can benefit in some situations by being cancelled via ESC, Stow Weapon, Weapon Swap. I use this feature to stop my Acid Bomb from throwing me backwards, cancel Magnet mid-cast to force my enemy to dodge all the time. This is literally no more of a bug than cancelling Lightning Whip is.

Lightning Whip is in the latter category, unforeseen uses. It’s then a balance issue like 100nade build was. The Devs didn’t intend for Engineers to have that much burst, and the Devs didn’t intend for Eles to always cancel Lightning Whip instead of completing the cast.

I had people telling me I was bug abusing as well when I was landing all 8 of the multi-direction nade spray from Kit Refinement. It’s called legitimately playing the dang game properly. Cancelling Acid Bomb, Magnet, Lightning Whip, Spatial Surge whatever – It’s on Arenanet to balance the abilities properly under the assumption players will use supported mechanics like stow weapon properly, at the right time. Finally, it’s being nerfed. Chaos Storm stunlocking people or perma projectile reflect, these are abused glitches/bugs.

Before everyone inevitably jumps down my throat for defending Lightning Whip cancelling or something, I’m glad it’s on the chopping block to be removed, I think it’s a positive. It reduces the advantage that experienced players have over new players.

Hope that clarified the difference between an exploited bug and unintended use through supported mechanics. Bugs = ESL Punishable. Unforeseen benefits from Stowing/Swapping/ESC on some spellcasts = Balance problem that should be discussed with the Balance team, not ESL Admins.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

kokiman.2364

GW2 Esports – “We can’t ban exploiters because we need more players”

GuildWars 2

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

That pretty much summarizes the issue. The bug abuse is basically on the same lvl as AC zoom cheating in wvw. At least in wvw people don’t pretend that their game mode is a sport.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

That pretty much summarizes the issue. The bug abuse is basically on the same lvl as AC zoom cheating in wvw. At least in wvw people don’t pretend that their game mode is a sport.

The thing is it has POTENTIAL to be more so than MOST games.

So lets all stop hating on Esports for a minute and think about it, for it to be a Esport, these bugs need resolving, so I have no idea how you are thinking, but its clearly very backwards.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU