Can we please give Power Lock

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

A 1/2 second casting time? Give it the same treatment as Infiltrator’s Return.

_

It’s the only stun in the game that has absolutely no casting time other than shock aura. Plus the only thing more painful than an instant stun is how badly it’s used, being spammed more than a Warrior with Rampage.

(edited by Nova Stiker.8396)

in PvP

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

Aren’t you the guy who immediately jumped to the defence of Eles without actually reading a thread that wasn’t about Eles at all?

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

Aren’t you the guy who immediately jumped to the defence of Eles without actually reading a thread that wasn’t about Eles at all?

Not sure what you are talking about.

But aren’t you the guy that posts completely off topic comments? Oh yes, yes you are

in PvP

Embolism.8106

Just trying to give some context.

EDIT: Found it, first post after the OP. Bear in mind this suggestion thread is coming from this guy.

(edited by Embolism.8106)

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

Just trying to give some context to this suggestion.

Don’t get this wrong, Power Lock is really good. An instant stun can be lethal in the hands of a skilled player.

In contrast, an instant stun can make you slam your head against the keyboard when you got 2 Mesmers on your team spamming mantra of distraction against a kiting bunker guardian.

He asked how to counter ele 2.0, I said just run Reaper. So… yeah. If you are trying to prove your stupidity you are doing a great job!

in PvP

Embolism.8106

On a more related note, the problem you’re looking for is Confounding Suggestions, not Power Lock. Power Lock by itself is a Daze.

That’s essentially what I was getting at about you having a habit of not reading. Note that the thread was about Scrapper, not Ele. I see you deleted your post but unfortunately it was quoted by multiple people, so everyone can still see it.

in PvP

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

There are actually a few instant stuns in the game, Engineer Overcharged Shot, Turret destruction trait, Magnetic Inversion, Elementalist Updraft, Necromancer Doom, Fear of Death and Reaper’s protection traits, Thief Sleight of Hand trait, main hand sword stealth attack, Mesmer Mirror of Anguish trait, what you listed and anything from stealth practically.

in PvP

Embolism.8106

There are actually a few instant stuns in the game, Engineer Overcharged Shot, Turret destruction trait, Magnetic Inversion, Elementalist Updraft, Necromancer Doom, Fear of Death and Reaper’s protection traits, Thief Sleight of Hand trait, main hand sword stealth attack, Mesmer Mirror of Anguish trait, what you listed and anything from stealth practically.

OP has sunk down to his neck now. Let’s see if he’ll completely submerge.

EDIT: Although I should point out a lot of what you mentioned aren’t stuns, but they’re still hard CCs and many are without projectiles; so the point stands.

(edited by Embolism.8106)

in PvP

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

Remove overcharge shot its a knockback. A stun is usually better in most cases, because they are locked in place for max burst. I want to add overcharge if not running elixer b or having some kind of stab on you can actually set yourself up for being bursted. Most balanced cc in the game imo considering it can be reflected and cause the engineer too lose the upper hand if missed or bad placement.

in PvP

glaphen.5230

Remove overcharge shot its a knockback. A stun is usually better in most cases, because they are locked in place for max burst. I want to add overcharge if not running elixer b or having some kind of stab on you can actually set yourself up for being bursted. Most balanced cc in the game imo considering it can be reflected and cause the engineer too lose the upper hand if missed or bad placement.

Knockbacks are better than stuns, they push people off the point causing decaps, if you are hit on a tiny point by it then he gets a free decap, it’s one of the strongest CCs in the game for conquest mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

Knockbacks are better than stuns, they push people off the point causing decaps, if you are hit on a tiny point by it then he gets a free decap, it’s one of the strongest CCs in the game for conquest mode.

Well yeah its strong very strong, but It is also very balanced imo its got good and bad.

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

I like overcharge shot, I just wish it was targeted direction like warriors Whirlwind Attack. If a point I’m guarding gets decapped I’ll call it legit as it’s the best skill for decapping, something conquest doesn’t have a lot to offer in teams of hard decap. The only time I wouldn’t call it legit would be getting CCed to death like the ol’ turret engineers.

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

1/2 cast time to a mantra which mantras, as the feature of their design, is to be insta cast. Er, no, now you’re just being silly.

The whole concept of mantras is that you pre-cast the charges for instant use later. Adding a cast time to the casts is asinine. Many players have a hard enough time playing with Mantras as it is.

in PvP

Posted by: Belial.9350

Belial.9350

Mantras have always been insta cast and people didn’t moan about them a year ago, therefore the insta cast isn’t the issue.

in PvP

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

I’d trade Confounding Suggestions for my old Mirror Blade back in a heartbeat.

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

couple things.

Mantras have always been insta cast and people didn’t moan about them a year ago, therefore the insta cast isn’t the issue.

Poor argument.

Coming from a warrior that hates power lock, I’m not going to agree with the op. The mantra has a precast time of 2 and 3/4 seconds just to get access to power lock. in the midst of combat that’s practically impossible. difficult to achieve.

Plus it essentially has their character scream “IM GONNA STUN YOU I GOT IT”

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

in PvP

glaphen.5230

couple things.

Poor argument.

Coming from a warrior that hates power lock, I’m not going to agree with the op. The mantra has a precast time of 2 and 3/4 seconds just to get access to power lock. in the midst of combat that’s practically impossible. difficult to achieve.

Not really that hard, stealths last 3 seconds and 3 illusion Distortion guarantees a mantra.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

A cast time would make this most useless. What about leaving it instant cast but give the skill itself a cast time like it charges up a purple glow on the Mesmer that then stuns the target. Or something easier, like turn it into an instant cast projectile? That way it’s like ele arcane bolt. Fast moving, instant cast, but it does have counterplay. Then have slightly different shades of pink/purple for pain and powe spike.

in PvP

Velimere.7685

couple things.

Poor argument.

Quoted for biblical accuracy.

To add to this, Blink, Distortion, and stealth skills don’t exactly have low recharges. We’re talking about putting one skill on recharge just to cover the charging of another skill.

(edited by Velimere.7685)

in PvP

Azure The Heartless.3261

[Redacted for I am tired]

Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

A cast time would make this most useless. What about leaving it instant cast but give the skill itself a cast time like it charges up a purple glow on the Mesmer that then stuns the target. Or something easier, like turn it into an instant cast projectile? That way it’s like ele arcane bolt. Fast moving, instant cast, but it does have counterplay. Then have slightly different shades of pink/purple for pain and powe spike.

^

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

The issue is it’s intended to be used to interrupt foes, to benefit from on-interrupt traits. It does need a very short cast time with no after-cast, though, so it can still serve its purpose without allowing the mesmer to be casting a burst combo at the same time. An "activation time" as previously mentioned could also work, but would create yet more particle effects around the mesmer.

It also means when you see the mesmer’s burst coming, and you dodge it, you will successfully counter play it instead of having your dodge suddenly interrupted or prevented.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

couple things.

Poor argument.

Quoted for biblical accuracy.

To add to this, Blink, Distortion, and stealth skills don’t exactly have low recharges. We’re talking about putting one skill on recharge just to cover the charging of another skill.

Easy to achieve actually when accounting to all those hip defensive skills.

They have long duration, enough to get the mantra up.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

Velimere.7685

It does need a very short cast time with no after-cast, though,

I disagree with you, and so does ArenaNet… Cheers!

It also means when you see the mesmer’s burst coming, and you dodge it, you will successfully counter play it instead of having your dodge suddenly interrupted or prevented.

The counter-play is the long charging time of the mantra skill itself plain and simple.

Your point does nothing to refute my own. You’re still blowing a necessary defensive recharge in order to charge your Mantra of Distraction. This is about as wise as a Celestial Dagger/Dagger Elementalist blowing his or her Lightning Flash to land Churning Earth. If you think that’s also a good idea, then you and I have nothing more to discuss.

in PvP

glaphen.5230

The counter-play is the long charging time of the mantra skill itself plain and simple.

Your point does nothing to refute my own. You’re still blowing a necessary defensive recharge in order to charge your Mantra of Distraction. This is about as wise as a Celestial Dagger/Dagger Elementalist blowing his or her Lightning Flash to land Churning Earth. If you think that’s also a good idea, then you and I have nothing more to discuss.

Not like you have to blow them specifically for the mantra, it just gives you something important to do during it. Obviously it’s bad for celestial but it’s good for zerkers, they did it all the time in the past but it was always predictable so I dodged it anyways.

(edited by glaphen.5230)

in PvP

Velimere.7685

Not like you have to blow them specifically for the mantra, it just gives you something important to do during it. Obviously it’s bad for celestial but it’s good for zerkers, they did it all the time in the past but it was always predictable so I dodged it anyways.

Your first sentence is good; your second sentence is bad.

This brings me to my next point: The ideal situation in which to charge a mantra is specifically in an instance where you already must blow a defensive recharge, but this sadly puts you into a predictable pattern. Blowing a defensive recharge otherwise is not a good management of recharges, and can easily put you at a disadvantage.

in PvP

Posted by: Erasmus.1624

Erasmus.1624

Give it a cast time. Instant removes skill from play when it isn’t balanced by a resource (either initial cost or a type of resource that requires a high build up time).

in PvP

Embolism.8106

It’s obvious the OP’s problem is with Confounding Suggestions, not Power Lock (though he doesn’t realise it), so I don’t think this warrants further discussion unless we want to talk about CS instead.

in PvP

Erasmus.1624

It’s obvious the OP’s problem is with Confounding Suggestions, not Power Lock (though he doesn’t realise it), so I don’t think this warrants further discussion unless we want to talk about CS instead.

Instant, aimbot effects (much less a hard CC) without a governing resource involve no skill. Instant passives having such a massive sway on combat in general is a different conversation to have.

in PvP

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Instant, aimbot effects (much less a hard CC) without a governing resource involve no skill. Instant passives having such a massive sway on combat in general is a different conversation to have.

Mantra of distraction has a 2.75 second channel time. Trying interrupting that next time instead of just complaining.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

Wrong. My points counters yours. Mesmers have so many of those hip defensive skills, and the stealth skills last pretty long thanks to PU. The recharge is low enough for all of them to be on-demand whenever necessary.

The difference between Lightning Flash + Churning Earth vs. The prestige + Mantra of Distraction is that The Prestige + Mantra of Distraction is worth it. The instant MLG stun is leagues better than a few stacks of bleed. lol. I can’t believe you actually compared the two.

(edited by runeblade.7514)

in PvP

Erasmus.1624

Mantra of distraction has a 2.75 second channel time. Trying interrupting that next time instead of just complaining.

That’s always readied before combat begins. If they need to cast it again, they have stealth or a blink. Please don’t try to be serious when using the preparation cast as an excuse to allow Power Lock to be instant. The joke is old and was never funny.

in PvP

Ross Biddle.2367

The issue is it’s intended to be used to interrupt foes, to benefit from on-interrupt traits. It does need a very short cast time with no after-cast, though, so it can still serve its purpose without allowing the mesmer to be casting a burst combo at the same time. An “activation time” as previously mentioned could also work, but would create yet more particle effects around the mesmer.

Dodges can’t be interrupted.

Anyway, you acknowledge MoD is intended for interrupts (though dazes have many intentions not limited to this) yet suggest a cast time…. which flies in the face of interrupt play. Interrupts require high reaction time already. Vs many skills a cast time would make interrupting impossible.

All that aside, if you want to talk intentions seriously, the Intention of Mantras is that they be charged and instant cast. So you can’t talk about intentions and not eat intentions too

-_-u

in PvP

Ross Biddle.2367

Wrong. My points counters yours. Mesmers have so many of those hip defensive skills, and the stealth skills last pretty long thanks to PU. The recharge is low enough for all of them to be on-demand whenever necessary.

The difference between Lightning Flash + Churning Earth vs. The prestige + Mantra of Distraction is that The Prestige + Mantra of Distraction is worth it. The instant MLG stun is leagues better than a few stacks of bleed. lol. I can’t believe you actually compared the two.

Wait, so I have to take the Chaos line + PU + a torch and or Decoy and or mass invis so I can run MoD? I thought there was no cost/investment?

Anyway, how many hip defensive skills do Mesmers have exactly (how many’s “so many”) to serve in the use of recharging mantras? Can you list them for us? I’m fascinated.

in PvP

Erasmus.1624

Wait, so I have to take the Chaos line + PU + a torch and or Decoy and or mass invis so I can run MoD? I thought there was no cost/investment?

Yeah, but why wouldn’t you? The point is that in GW2, opportunity cost doesn’t really exist given the shallowness of combat. The choices to be made for any build are incredibly obvious, and if one dies in a rapid fashion, it was due to a strict hard counter or because of cooldowns. Tool-tips should not be a substitute for skill, but that’s the mantra in GW2.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

Anyway, how many hip defensive skills do Mesmers have exactly (how many’s “so many”) to serve in the use of recharging mantras? Can you list them for us? I’m fascinated.

• Mind Wrack- Blinds with Blinding dissipation
  • Cry of Confusion- Blinds
  • Diversion- Instant Daze/stun interrupt
  • Distortion- Invulnerability
  • Decoy- Stealth
  • Portal- if you so choose.
  • Blink- Teleport
  • Mass Invisibility- Stealth
  • The Prestige- Stealth
  • Illusionary Wave- Knockback to keep melee away.
  • Illusionary Leap- For MLG teleport.

Learn your class

in PvP

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Ugh. I assume you never played GW1 otherwise you would not say that interrupts take no skill.

I know that getting interrupted is frustrating but just because they interrupted your skillful spamming of ele skills, you should not feel bad but take a step back and think.

in PvP

Embolism.8106

Yeah, but why wouldn’t you? The point is that in GW2, opportunity cost doesn’t really exist given the shallowness of combat. The choices to be made for any build are incredibly obvious, and if one dies in a rapid fashion, it was due to a strict hard counter or because of cooldowns. Tool-tips should not be a substitute for skill, but that’s the mantra in GW2.

Spoken like a true GW2 PvPer who knows nothing about Mesmers. Of course every Mesmer runs PU. Never mind if that Mesmer never stealthed the entire time, she’s definitely running PU!!!

… In fact builds that would run MoD are quite likely to run Inspiration instead of Chaos. Guess what that means? No PU. And between Blink, MoD and Portal, that’s all your utilities accounted for. Guess what that means? No Decoy. And there’s no Illusions in there, so guess what that means? No The Pledge.

in PvP

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

• Decoy- Stealth
  • Blink- Teleport
  • The Prestige- Stealth

Learn your class

And these will serve to cover the 2,75s of charging the mantra? You do know you cannot perform most of these while charging or you cancel the charge?

in PvP

Ross Biddle.2367

• Decoy- Stealth
  • Blink- Teleport
  • The Prestige- Stealth

Learn your class

Ok so lets cut it down to an actual practical list of those with which to safely channel MoD.

• Diversion- Instant Daze/stun interrupt (useless against ranged interrupts, useless against stability, it’s something, but not necessarily reliable, could easily eat a burst in a MoD channel, but ok)
  • Decoy- Stealth
  • Portal- if you so choose. (long CD, unlikely to be available, rarly taken in conjunction with MoD (decoy/blink/MoD) but ok)
  • Blink- Teleport (Gap opener, but no guarantee you’ll be safe to channel without LoS, situational)
  • The Prestige- Stealth

So 4 truly reliable options, one requires taking torch which yes, is a big build investment. Two require burning a stun break, one an elite. Distortion is Mesmer biggest “OMFG!” button and isnt something you burn soley to recharge MoD. So yeah, in practical gameplay terms you’re not using any of these soley to get MoD recharged. You’ll wait for an opportune moment either amidst your rotations, when you’ve had to cycle out of combat, or you go without.

Learn my class.

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

• Decoy- Stealth
  • Blink- Teleport
  • The Prestige- Stealth

Learn your class

And these will serve to cover the 2,75s of charging the mantra? You do know you cannot perform most of these while charging or you cancel the charge?

Uhmm you can stealth Before you charge? 3 of those Options are stealth
DistortionCan Also Cover that too (varies with clones)
You can Also blink while Charging
You can Also potentially Make A CC miss with A shatter while charging.

The only thing that does not work Here is ileap and I wave.

To Sum it up, 95% of what he said can cover a mantra charging

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in PvP

Fay.2357

• Decoy- Stealth
  • Blink- Teleport
  • The Prestige- Stealth

Learn your class

What if the person trying to interrupt you isn’t a total idiot?

Many interrupts are ranged and blinds are easy to clear. This basically brings you down to stealth and distortion. Now, you can certainly use those to charge it, but you have very limited access to them, as well as potentially needing them for other things.

in PvP

Velimere.7685

Wrong. My points counters yours.

Wrong. Your point does not counter mine.

in PvP

StickerHappy.8052

• Decoy- Stealth
  • Blink- Teleport
  • The Prestige- Stealth

Learn your class

Many interrupts are ranged and blinds are easy to clear. This basically brings you down to stealth and distortion. Now, you can certainly use those to charge it, but you have very limited access to them, as well as potentially needing them for other things.

Yes pyro im not denying what you said, but atleast we can agree that those mentioned can be used to cover it right

in PvP

Fay.2357

• Decoy- Stealth
  • Blink- Teleport
  • The Prestige- Stealth

Learn your class

Yes pyro im not denying what you said, but atleast we can agree that those mentioned can be used to cover it right

Sure, and now you don’t have distortion when the thief jumps on you, or you don’t have stealth to open up with the next burst. Charging the mantra is not free because of ‘op mesmer defensive mechanics’, and implying that it is is nothing but lunacy.

in PvP

StickerHappy.8052

• Decoy- Stealth
  • Blink- Teleport
  • The Prestige- Stealth

Learn your class

Sure, and now you don’t have distortion when the thief jumps on you, or you don’t have stealth to open up with the next burst. Charging the mantra is not free because of ‘op mesmer defensive mechanics’, and implying that it is is nothing but lunacy.

Oh yeah not saying its op or whatever just veryfing the fact that they can be used to cover, only on that idea. Not implying anything else

in PvP

Posted by: MarauderShields.6830

MarauderShields.6830

This. You heard the man, Anet. Change it accordingly.

Former running-really-fast-man. Now proud member of Revenant clan.

in PvP

Erasmus.1624

Ugh. I assume you never played GW1 otherwise you would not say that interrupts take no skill.

I know that getting interrupted is frustrating but just because they interrupted your skillful spamming of ele skills, you should not feel bad but take a step back and think.

Interrupts in GW1 had a cast-time. No matter how minute 0.25 s is, in GW1, it was still something to consider. Also, interrupting 1 s and above skills was always cake. GW2 has an average skill cast of 0.5 s (which was far below the threshold of reliable interruption). However, combined with an increase in the total number of buttons along with a drastic decrease in build customization, interruptions have become somewhat underpowered given that rotations in GW2 are comprised of a lot of fluff: passive procs, rapid/instant cast-times, the fact that interrupting a skill doesn’t put it into full cooldown, the lack of any real resource mechanic, and the total length of rotations all passively mitigate the effectiveness of interruptions.

So, what was anet’s solution to this arbitrary benching of overall interruption effectiveness? MAKE THEM INSTANT OR MAKE THEM LAST 2-4 SECONDS!

The game is borked. Skill 404

in PvP

Azure The Heartless.3261

Hey, warrior cat thing that hates mantras chiming in again.

two things.

Mesmers dont bs:

“Mantras can be prepared before battle and then used freely, even in the middle of other actions without interrupting them.”

That being said it’s still 2.75 seconds of screaming your head off that can be stunned, dazed, or otherwise cut off, for a skill that can whiff.

It’s fine.

in PvP

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

couple things.

Poor argument.

Not really that hard, stealths last 3 seconds and 3 illusion Distortion guarantees a mantra.

Why would anyone waste 3 illusions ( two dodge rolls and a weapon skill or 2 weapon skills and a dodge roll) for distortion to then use distortion to cast mantra of disctaction?

Does that even sound like smart gameplay to you?

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg