Countless Thoughts On Proposed Mesmer Changes

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

http://youtu.be/ieV1SbrvbFQ

Give me some feedback, thanks for watching. Also the video was uploaded a few seconds ago, so the res isn’t that great atm.

Countless

in PvP

Posted by: Storm.6408

Storm.6408

Completely agree with scepter change. It needs a change but torment on auto is not the change it needs. If u want ppl spamming auto attacks on cancerous mesmer specs ur going in the right direction. Besides that, love the sword buff

-Zeromis

Zeromis: Team Final Form

in PvP

Posted by: Zoose.1640

Zoose.1640

I support getting torment off scepter auto. It’s way too much for an auto attack.

in PvP

Posted by: Nnight.7215

Nnight.7215

Agreed, torment on scepter auto is not the way to go. Torment is too strong of a condition and will make mesmer’s just want to spam auto attacks. This sword buff though, soooooo good.

in PvP

Posted by: Mike.4830

Mike.4830

#UselessMesmerTalk #QUitalready

Backpack God
The Absurd [RIP] ESL Go4 Weekly Winners
Outplayed By Children [GG] ToL 2 Winners

in PvP

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

calling it wall of reflection and feedback everyone.

in PvP

Posted by: musu.9205

musu.9205

Anet could make AA chain with first : random from 2s chill/cripple/blind and second: 2s torment and let Clones do first attack and .Rest will be fine .

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

I agree countless. Torment on scepter AA is a joke.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Phaeton.9582

it’s a really, really bad idea, and by far the worst change this summer.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I was able to count the number of thoughts proposed

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in PvP

Posted by: Fourth.1567

Fourth.1567

They are definitely taking the mesmer in an off direction promoting more passive play. I really am not getting the impression the class is based around manipulating an opponent, giving them tough choices to make. Torment doesn’t do that. Not moving is almost never an option.

Oh well if Anet isn’t able to offer up competitive changes all the better for me.

in PvP

Posted by: ghostchipz.2341

ghostchipz.2341

ok take torment off the AA but give us back our nurfed confusion oh wait sorry……….

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I really am not getting the impression the class is based around manipulating an opponent, giving them tough choices to make. Torment doesn’t do that. Not moving is almost never an option.

I agree with this 100%. To see how strong “not being able to move” is, look at how powerful immob has become. In pvp, if you stop, you are dead. Torment is just 1.5X bleed in 99% of cases, instantly making mesmer scepter stronger than necro scepter.

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I really am not getting the impression the class is based around manipulating an opponent, giving them tough choices to make. Torment doesn’t do that. Not moving is almost never an option.

I agree with this 100%. To see how strong “not being able to move” is, look at how powerful immob has become. In pvp, if you stop, you are dead. Torment is just 1.5X bleed in 99% of cases, instantly making mesmer scepter stronger than necro scepter.

Necromancer scepter’s auto-attack applies a bleed that’s double the duration as mesmer scepter’s torment, and necromancer scepter also applies poison. That doesn’t even consider the differences in travel and cast times.

Necromancer scepter is way better. Not even close, honestly.

The bleeds are more susceptible to cleanse is my point. Which is stronger: 6s bleed or 4s of torment (1.5x bleed)? Seeing as there is likely to be a cleanse after a few seconds, the torment will get more of its damage off, and thus be stronger.

And necro poison application is offset by getting a clone that stacks torment too. Overall, I’d say the mesmer’s autoattack just became the better of the 2 (especially considering how easily mesmers get a variety of other condis via clone death). Combine that with the effect that mesmers have excellent defense and kiting capability that necros lack, and you can understand why mesmer’s do not deserve an autoattack that is better than condi-necros bleed spams.

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

It’s a tricky one. Mesmer does have a conditon build via PU or anything making full use of sharper images, but so many of the conditions were RnG. Whether it be debil disaa on clone death, or winds of chaos prodcuing one of three potential conditions there was no controlled manner for a mesmer to create and stack exact conditions. They cewratinly had some control with torch, but torch also creates time frames of where nodes can’t be held or captured. If i had to peg why PU never made it to the top it would be because of 50/50 ability to capture or defend, it’s slow moving and even as a condition stacker it still took longer than desirable time frames from them to stomp anyone. It was only in soloQ and hotjoin that one would ever see PU. The changes to scepter (even though I would have enjoyed seeing confusion restored to some of it’s former glory) at least gave the mesmer the ability to stack conditions in a way that they are assured of. Looking at the changes and the mesmer layout you can begin to see the stat allocation can make for some working builds, but not superior builds. If people want to invest heavily into condition damage there is no usable and sound choices there. If they step down to dueling for DE and the ability to produce scepter clones on dodge that will cost 20, and again there is only s0-so traits in that line precision/crit line that benefit a condition build. If they step down again and invest 10 for debil dissipation that produces vuln, cripple, bleed RnG. One condi is not needed, one is useful but not deadly, the last is the one you kinda want. For an extra 10 they can also take chaotic dampening for the staff condition RnG. So far they have little condition removal outside of mantra’s, so they could possibly wanna go 10 into the next tree down for menders purity, or maybe even 20 for malicious sorcery for scepter..then again they may not. Lastly they if place 30 for maimed, again they could take elasticity as a support trait..but so far its looking;
0 0r 30 depending on much condition dmg you wanna invest in
0 or 20
0 or 10 or 20

As it becomes apparent, you can make good builds. Solid builds, but not superior builds. trade off’s are needed. That is why I don’t think this potential change is anything like the dhuumfire patch. The necro at the time was not forced into making hard trade off’s like mesmer is.

I think in the end, if all goes as stated..no one will play it in PvE. No one will play it in higher level Tpvp. You’ll see it played for better or worse in soloQ and it will mostly be a hotjoin favourite until, ppl fully see what ranger are now capable of. Even among the turret overkill engineers, celestial ele’s and off guards in hotjoin that people use to just have fun and see big numbers and have a sense of viable with lesser experience,..then in that meta it will fit right in and that’s all good..but anything higher soloQ top 500, I just don’t see it becoming the next big thing.

No matter the result, it will still remain a build that is preferred second to shatters.

(edited by CntrlAltDefeat.1465)

in PvP

Phaeton.9582

You guys arn’t getting it. Stating that it’s on a level with necro AA simply doesn’t cut it.

Necro is the easiest class to manage, with blinds, soft AND hard CC in the game. They also dont make copies of themselves on dodge; also spitting out torment.

Sadly, much like the warrior changes around this time last year, the only people aware of this fully are the class mains. And they won’t ask for nerfs until they get bored of faceroll.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

You guys arn’t getting it. Stating that it’s on a level with necro AA simply doesn’t cut it.

Necro is the easiest class to manage, with blinds, soft AND hard CC in the game. They also dont make copies of themselves on dodge; also spitting out torment.

Sadly, much like the warrior changes around this time last year, the only people aware of this fully are the class mains. And they won’t ask for nerfs until they get bored of faceroll.

Ok..so clones on dodge. That requires 20 into dueling. Maybe 20 again into Inspiration for malicious sorcery and 30 into illusions for maimed..all this investment and the one tree you’ve put nothing into is condition duration. It still only makes a solid build, not a superior build. The real question is, how will perplexity runes affect it in WvW? Again, all this concern is mostly aimed at a build that will thrive in hotjoin, but won’t see the light of day anywhere else. Hotjoin at the end of the day is the place where this won’t look out of place among the dagger/pistol thieve’s, turretineer’s, terrormancers and celestial ele’s where no one invests in team support and only aspires to zerging most of the time. In that forum, it is harmless. I enjoy hotjoin matches for purely that point. I can make builds I like and I don’t have to give a toss about team support/role..I just get to play and see big numbers and pretty particles everywhere.

in PvP

Posted by: Rolyate.6753

Rolyate.6753

Wouldn’t it make more sense for it to just apply bleeding?

The current problem with conditions is that certain classes are apply to maintain huge up time on a wide variety of conditions making it next to impossible to deal with, none of which require skill or timing, often single button presses.

I feel certain conditions should be easy to apply and therefore easy to remove, however condition specs can then apply conditions such as burning and torment to punish those who are lacking cooldowns or support.

Rolyate
How do you pronounce your name?

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

In the wvw roaming scene, Sc/T PU is already very strong.

Agree that Sc is the worst of the mesmer weapons but I’m not sure this is the right change.

downed state is bad for PVP

in PvP

Posted by: zaxon.6819

zaxon.6819

it is good to give the mesmer a reason to auto attack with scepter.. because then they are not hiding invis. a person running sc/torch is running sc torch because they cant fight out of stealth. and they will not be standing auto attacking vs any person that is any good.

right now you would never dodge or auto attack with scepter.. because any scepter clone you put out is a loss of damage.

in PvP

Posted by: cyyrix.6105

cyyrix.6105

The Illusionary Elasticity buff’s effect on staff clone AA is wayyyy stronger than the scepter AA buff. It’s weird that you’re for one but not the other.

Cyyrix | Marypoppins Deathsquad [mds] | Team Riot [RIOT] | Blackgate