Do the finishers actually do anything?

in PvP

Posted by: Overworld.9613

Overworld.9613

As the title says, do finishers (the swishy glowy ball skill to finish off downed players) do anything meaningful?

In WvW I’ve been told they give a better chance at loot, but in PvP I’ve seen no change in score, and there’s no special loot to gain.
Admittedly I don’t have the largest experience with PvP and it could be a reflex players carry over from WvW into unranked, but with so many player’s builds and playstyles focused on surviving for a few moments more or escaping the combat scenario entirely with their downed skills my question stands thusly:

Is there a meaningful choice between choosing to using the context prompt finisher or continuing to attack the downed player until they die?

Secretly creative

in PvP

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

As the title says, do finishers (the swishy glowy ball skill to finish off downed players) do anything meaningful?

In WvW I’ve been told they give a better chance at loot, but in PvP I’ve seen no change in score, and there’s no special loot to gain.
Admittedly I don’t have the largest experience with PvP and it could be a reflex players carry over from WvW into unranked, but with so many player’s builds and playstyles focused on surviving for a few moments more or escaping the combat scenario entirely with their downed skills my question stands thusly:

Is there a meaningful choice between choosing to using the context prompt finisher or continuing to attack the downed player until they die?

You pick the one you think will upset the other person the most. They don’t do anything else.

Alright meow, where were we?

in PvP

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

Depends on situation and build of yourself and enemies and allies. High vitality players are far easier to revive through damage is probably the most important thing to know. Rest has far too many variables to explain.

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

use and abuse the loudest, visual pollutant finisher available (works best w/ 2 MM necros and all 89 minions) – it may give you a slight advantage in team fights.

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Posted by: Belial.9350

Belial.9350

Finishing the player prevents res.
Attacking it doesn’t.

in PvP

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

You pick the one you think will upset the other person the most. They don’t do anything else.

tis why i use the rainbow unicorn finisher XD

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Finishing the player prevents res.
Attacking it doesn’t.

That’s pretty much it.

It’s very situational. Thieves and mesmers often you just damage down because of their teleports. If you think they’ll be revived you use finisher.

in PvP

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

No, they don’t do anything special it is just visual and no they do not add more loot in WvW iether.

It depends on the situation if you should just attack your enemy to death of finish them off.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in PvP

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

No, they don’t do anything special it is just visual and no they do not add more loot in WvW iether.

It depends on the situation if you should just attack your enemy to death of finish them off.

In WvW it doesn’t give more loot. But “bloodlust” buff will give your server an extra point for each shrine group you control. So up to 3 points per stomp. Doesn’t mean anything on the indiviudal level. But when you add in all the stomps through a day its moderately significant.

Ghost Yak

in PvP

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

In WvW it doesn’t give more loot. But “bloodlust” buff will give your server an extra point for each shrine group you control. So up to 3 points per stomp. Doesn’t mean anything on the indiviudal level. But when you add in all the stomps through a day its moderately significant.

ok. But still different finishers does not give more or less “bloodlust”?

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in PvP

Posted by: Inflames.8026

Inflames.8026

I like how none of you understand what he means except for Edgar.

Finishers are just a cosmetic look. Some pick one to troll the opponent.
Others pick something that fits their theme.
Good luck and have fun out there

in PvP

uhohhotdog.3598

I like how none of you understand what he means except for Edgar.

Finishers are just a cosmetic look. Some pick one to troll the opponent.
Others pick something that fits their theme.
Good luck and have fun out there

Nearly everyone has said that.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

They make anet money

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Maxwell.7843

Maxwell.7843

If I’m not mistaken, if you stomp (=use a finisher) in PvP, when the player respawns he will be in-combat.
If you kill a player with normal damage, he will respawn out-of-combat.

In WvW, stomping can grant some points, as others have already explained.

in PvP

uhohhotdog.3598

If I’m not mistaken, if you stomp (=use a finisher) in PvP, when the player respawns he will be in-combat.

There’s nothing in wiki about this.

in PvP

Posted by: Maxwell.7843

Maxwell.7843

That’s part of the reason why I started with “if I’m not mistaken”.

I definitely recall reading/hearing this, I can’t remember where…
If no one else can confirm it, just disregard it.

(edited by Maxwell.7843)

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

I never heard this theory. I will pay attention to it next time I play.

in PvP

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

Thanks! I gotta tell all my guildies about this!

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in PvP

Posted by: Kalriostraz.6819

Kalriostraz.6819

Thanks! I gotta tell all my guildies about this!

Don’t bother, it’s not a thing and even if it was it’s of questionable usefulness.

On topic, I use finishers based largely on my class. Bunker guard and mes I finish most of the time, as the time to kill or required CD’s are too much of a time or resource investment. Especially if they’re on point because they still prevent capture. On ranger or thief? Usually just kill them unless they are engi or necro. Unless I’m like right on top of them when they die.