Dragon Hunter - Anet's failed experiment?

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

There are two different kinds of DH specs. One runs palladin amulet with meditations and 1-2 traps, usually purification and test of faith. This is the tanky, condition cleanse heavy build. Then there is the other spec that runs marauder. This one can be bursty, but your mileage with this spec can vary. If the DH takes procession of blades, test of faith, and dragon’s maw, this spec can pump out a lot of on node damage and down cleave. This is one of the specs people usually complain about when they get ravaged. Then there’s the medi trapper DPS varient that will run renewed focus as an elite, and only run test of faith with perhaps purification. This one can last longer and does most of it’s dps by bouncing you around through test of faith. This is generally the spec that was taken in pro league whenever DH showed up. It lacks the ward from dragon’s maw that people complain about, but is harder to kill due to renewed focus and additional healing and condi cleanse from either smite condition or contemplation of purity.

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

I used to think the same but no, dragonhunters don’t have too much of everything, they are severly lacking in condi clear and sustain, all they give is might and fury with rune of the dragon hunter, they have almost no answer to cc and are weak to conditions. why do you think reapers have such an easy time with DH.

The only high end damage dealers are true, shot and procession of blades. everything else doesn’t really stand out compared to other classes unless u build up might first. nerfing true shot as said above would simply be too much. DH is fine as it is now. Also True shot is such a telegraphed attack that u really stand an fair chance of dodging it.

dragonhunter is a spec that just like berserker sacrifices sustain for pure burst. if that’s the case it should capable of dealind good dps. they already nerfed traps and their cc.

I stopped reading when I read the lack of condi clear and sustain.

Do you want me to give you builds that say otherwise?

DH is weaker compared to other specs which is very true but might please do some fact checking before you claim stuff.

oh you stopped reading? you mean that single interruptable wings of resolve, smite and perhaps if the guy is not running procession of blades another utility smite condition? that’s really nothing. DH die incredibly quickly at higher levels and proffesional levels of gameplay. infact u can already see the difficulty curve for DH spike, the moment u reach diamond for DH.

revenants, condi reapers, and even just regular reapers with thier applications of conditions can just bombard you. non top tier builds that can apply conditions also do kittentons of damage condi wise, aka condi shatter mesmer, double pistol engineer, condi berserker, and no i’m not talking about win or lose here. but to say that a dragonhunter has an a-ok condi cleanse and sustain is really lying here.

infact i can even say that the sustain is argueble due to aegis and blocks but it’s definately not a tank, it’s sustain is mediocore at best.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAsdTnsABdDhVDBWdC8DhlEi6aZDgEIL/+vAUe5j+rH-TpQSABAs/QrlBAA

Do not tell me that DH have poor condition cleanses.

3 Condition Cleanses, 1 of which is on a very low Cd, 1 of which removes all conditions not to mention the ones you get from blocks (2x from f3 for 5 secs, Aegises you get, focus block) You also get 3 conditions removed on f2.

Do not tell me that this is not a viable build too, You can even go Maw if you wanted.,

Also you keep mentioning Higher levels of play, do you play in ESLs, AGs, Pro Leagues?

If not, why do you worry about these stuff?

What? U litterally took away everything what made an dragonhunter a dragonhunter and really the only thing what made it viable , and expect me not to say it’s an viable build? it’s not an viable build,

By applying this type of logic, when thief was still in a bad u can have a thief go acrobatics, shadow arts and trickery for max condi removal. and take a way lot of thier burst. and then yes then it has condi removal but then again u pretty much come with an heavily inbalanced builds just to deal with condi’s.

every spec can have tons of anti condi removal and sustain but if u go to these kinds of lengtths to the point that u practically go almost full medidation guardian(why not go full medi instead and call it a day) then yes a dh has not an suffiecient amount of condi cleanses.

and why do i talk about higher levels of play? well because i can still be a viewer and observe, have shoutcasters even add commentary and voila i can also form my own opinion on that aspect without bieng there personally. it’s really the higher levels of play that show the ins and outs of a class and build. u get suggestions such as removing berserker, marauder and viper amulets only here.

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

I used to think the same but no, dragonhunters don’t have too much of everything, they are severly lacking in condi clear and sustain, all they give is might and fury with rune of the dragon hunter, they have almost no answer to cc and are weak to conditions. why do you think reapers have such an easy time with DH.

The only high end damage dealers are true, shot and procession of blades. everything else doesn’t really stand out compared to other classes unless u build up might first. nerfing true shot as said above would simply be too much. DH is fine as it is now. Also True shot is such a telegraphed attack that u really stand an fair chance of dodging it.

dragonhunter is a spec that just like berserker sacrifices sustain for pure burst. if that’s the case it should capable of dealind good dps. they already nerfed traps and their cc.

DH is weaker compared to other specs which is very true but might please do some fact checking before you claim stuff.

oh you stopped reading? you mean that single interruptable wings of resolve, smite and perhaps if the guy is not running procession of blades another utility smite condition? that’s really nothing. DH die incredibly quickly at higher levels and proffesional levels of gameplay. infact u can already see the difficulty curve for DH spike, the moment u reach diamond for DH.

revenants, condi reapers, and even just regular reapers with thier applications of conditions can just bombard you. non top tier builds that can apply conditions also do kittentons of damage condi wise, aka condi shatter mesmer, double pistol engineer, condi berserker, and no i’m not talking about win or lose here. but to say that a dragonhunter has an a-ok condi cleanse and sustain is really lying here.

infact i can even say that the sustain is argueble due to aegis and blocks but it’s definately not a tank, it’s sustain is mediocore at best.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAsdTnsABdDhVDBWdC8DhlEi6aZDgEIL/+vAUe5j+rH-TpQSABAs/QrlBAA

3 Condition Cleanses, 1 of which is on a very low Cd, 1 of which removes all conditions not to mention the ones you get from blocks (2x from f3 for 5 secs, Aegises you get, focus block) You also get 3 conditions removed on f2.

Do not tell me that this is not a viable build too, You can even go Maw if you wanted.,

Also you keep mentioning Higher levels of play, do you play in ESLs, AGs, Pro Leagues?

What? U litterally took away everything what made an dragonhunter a dragonhunter and really the only thing what made it viable , and expect me not to say it’s an viable build? it’s not an viable build,

By applying this type of logic, when thief was still in a bad u can have a thief go acrobatics, shadow arts and trickery for max condi removal. and take a way lot of thier burst. and then yes then it has condi removal but then again u pretty much come with an heavily inbalanced builds just to deal with condi’s.

every spec can have tons of anti condi removal and sustain but if u go to these kinds of lengtths to the point that u practically go almost full medidation guardian(why not go full medi instead and call it a day) then yes a dh has not an suffiecient amount of condi cleanses.

and why do i talk about higher levels of play? well because i can still be a viewer and observe, have shoutcasters even add commentary and voila i can also form my own opinion on that aspect without bieng there personally. it’s really the higher levels of play that show the ins and outs of a class and build. u get suggestions such as removing berserker, marauder and viper amulets only here.

Not viable for solo q? What?

What are you even talking about?, its the same exact meta build with shelter (does not have to do anything with burst) and Judges which again is a miniscule difference (fair trade I replaced judges with a meditation)

Do you know how you sound like right now? A cherry picker. This is the same exact build meta build with 1 trait change.

Same amulet, Same runes, 1 or 2 differences with Utilities, I even mention you can go maw which is what the meta build uses. That’s like the Meta build with Shelter.

And you are telling me its not viable? Okay please tell the one who made the meta build he has no idea how to DH.

Do you even play DH or no?

PS: Do you play top tier or no?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in PvP

What are you even talking about?, its the same exact meta build with shelter (does not have to do anything with burst) and Judges which again is a miniscule difference (fair trade I replaced judges with a meditation)

Do you know how you sound like right now? A cherry picker. This is the same exact build meta build with 1 trait change.

Same amulet, Same runes, 1 or 2 differences with Utilities, I even mention you can go maw which is what the meta build uses. That’s like the Meta build with Shelter.

And you are telling me its not viable? Okay please tell the one who made the meta build he has no idea how to DH.

me a cherry picker? Since when do the amount of trait changes and utilizes correspond to how viable a build is? not all skills, traits and utilities are created equal.

the hard facts are that u lack cc: your build has 1 trap utility, 2 trap utility tops when u go dragonmaw which is on a 75 sec cd btw and your spear of justice. as opposed to running 3 traps atleast. u have shelter which heals arguebly for less overall while u could have gone purifcation in which u actually blind, grant regenration and daze your enemies for the same CD. Somehting which is not hard to pull off. U lack also an knockback every 15 sec which is pretty kitten important in the current state of game, not only do you knock kitteners back u actually get another batch of stability as opposed on relying on your single 4 to 5 seconds virtue of courage.

u offer little to nothing to the team, as most of your damage is focus damage, like u bassucally made your bow a lot less effective, u offer little to no aoe damage and cc compared to the normal dh is all massivel inferior just so that u yourself can survie longer it’s a selfish build. infact u did a lot more then just tweaking a few utilities here and there.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_Meditrapper

the normal medi trapper easily runs 3 to 4 traps,

has on average way more cc and aoe damage as they more often then not have procession of blades something u don’t even offer as opposed to your pseudo meditation guardian which it really is. it really is a medidation guardian.

and yes i play dh.

and no i don’t play top tier, which does not discredit me from giving my opinion.

in PvP

StickerHappy.8052

me a cherry picker? Since when do the amount of trait changes and utilizes correspond to how viable a build is? not all skills, traits and utilities are created equal.

the hard facts are that u lack cc: your build has 1 trap utility, 2 trap utility tops when u go dragonmaw which is on a 75 sec cd btw and your spear of justice. as opposed to running 3 traps atleast. u have shelter which heals arguebly for less overall while u could have gone purifcation in which u actually blind, grant regenration and daze your enemies for the same CD. Somehting which is not hard to pull off. U lack also an knockback every 15 sec which is pretty kitten important in the current state of game, not only do you knock kitteners back u actually get another batch of stability as opposed on relying on your single 4 to 5 seconds virtue of courage.

u offer little to nothing to the team, as most of your damage is focus damage, like u bassucally made your bow a lot less effective, u offer little to no aoe damage and cc compared to the normal dh is all massivel inferior just so that u yourself can survie longer it’s a selfish build. infact u did a lot more then just tweaking a few utilities here and there.

has on average way more cc and aoe damage as they more often then not have procession of blades something u don’t even offer as opposed to your pseudo meditation guardian which it really is. it really is a medidation guardian.

and yes i play dh.

and no i don’t play top tier, which does not discredit me from giving my opinion.

So basically you are saying, “I have problems with conditions, but I do not wanna take available options to handle them”

A change to Heavy Light to handle more conditions makes the build unviable? Heavy Light is on A 15second ICD,RNG and you have no control on what skills it will proc on (Unless you count every single time, which again you bring top tier, is that a very good strategy to count every single time when you are faced with super good opponents?), how on earth does that offer a lot for the team? By being Random?

• Even that meta link you posted had given you choices to put either Smite Condition or Contemplation to deal with conditions,
  • Even with the meta link you posted said Swap Maw with RF if you need sustain
  • BOTTOM LINE: If those circumstances arise and you need those 2 to slot in so that makes the build unviable because you only have 2 traps now? This is what you call cherry picking, its the same exact thing on the build link I posted so how come you only see the meta battle build? It’s THE SAME EXACT THING UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES WITH 1 TRAIT CHANGE AMULET, RUNE, TRAITS EXCEPT 1, UTILITIES EXCEPT CONTEMPLATION WITH JI ARE ALL THE SAME

BTW, a top guardians I know do not run maw, like Arken, He runs Renewed Focus, HE also runs berserker, not marauder.

So basically you are saying Arken does not know his class right and his build is not viable because he runs 2 traps?

(edited by StickerHappy.8052)

in PvP

and yes i play dh.

So basically you are saying, “I have problems with conditions, but I do not wanna take available options to handle them”

A change to Heavy Light to handle more conditions makes the build unviable? Heavy Light is on A 15second ICD,RNG and you have no control on what skills it will proc on (Unless you count every single time, which again you bring top tier, is that a very good strategy to count every single time when you are faced with super good opponents?), how on earth does that offer a lot for the team? By being Random?

• Even that meta link you posted had given you choices to put either Smite Condition or Contemplation to deal with conditions,
  • Even with the meta link you posted said Swap Maw with RF if you need sustain
  • BOTTOM LINE: If those circumstances arise and you need those 2 to slot in so that makes the build unviable because you only have 2 traps now? This is what you call cherry picking, its the same exact thing on the build link I posted so how come you only see the meta battle build? It’s THE SAME EXACT THING UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES WITH 1 TRAIT CHANGE AMULET, RUNE, TRAITS EXCEPT 1, UTILITIES EXCEPT CONTEMPLATION WITH JI ARE ALL THE SAME

BTW, a top guardians I know do not run maw, like Arken, He runs Renewed Focus, HE also runs berserker, not marauder.

So basically you are saying Arken does not know his class right and his build is not viable because he runs 2 traps?

No what am I saying is that u could go for condi cleanse, sure. boom but it takes away alot from what u can offer to the team. bassically a dh’s role is to deal kittentons of damage and pbAOE damage right? we can agree on that right?

but when u only use 2 or 3 traps and sacrrifice utilities and traits that actually compliment your role, but not to yourself but also to the team then yeah i will call your build not viable. it’s really that simple.

and again with the slight change. your changes are not small, they are actually quite impactfull really.

let me explain it.

The meta medi trappers offers you. just 2 optional utility slot changes.

but look what you did. is:

pretty much utilize all optional utility traits from the core medi trapper build for the worst really and added 2 more changes. plus a trait change. saying that this is not impactfull is just deluding yourself but this goes further. I already kittening outlined how it impacts gameplay. if u actually look at what most guardians use, aka the rule and not the kittening execption which will include procession of blades. your build is actually noticably different. but u kittening keeping hanging on how much has changed rather then looking at the overal effectivness of the build and what guardians on average use for thier optional utilities which is more often then not dragons maw and procession of blades for kittens sake!!!. which is better then medidations which only apply to your own self sustain. fury is something tons of other elite specs can offer!!! I will say it again it’s a selfish build. as for the 15 sec cd on heavy light. yes pro’s can count to 15, and yes you don’t know on which skill it will proc. but a player has a brain right? a pro player knows thier kittening cd’s by now, So why bring this up? u are bullkittenting me, we both know that counting cd’s means kitten for a pro player. they know thier kittening class man!!

who the hell is Arken? 2 traps or not. U are missing the bigger picture here. u keep making this a kittening numbers game when it’s only part of the problem.

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.3952

Booms.3952

This thread made me mad

#1 gerdian na
0 counterplay

in PvP

StickerHappy.8052

This thread made me mad

Well apparently Xanctus does not even know your former teammate. lol

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

if u actually look at what most guardians use, aka the rule and not the kittening execption which will include procession of blades. your build is actually noticably different. but u kittening keeping hanging on how much has changed rather then looking at the overal effectivness of the build and what guardians on average use for thier optional utilities which is more often then not dragons maw and procession of blades for kittens sake!!!. which is better then medidations which only apply to your own self sustain. fury is something tons of other elite specs can offer!!! I will say it again it’s a selfish build. as for the 15 sec cd on heavy light. yes pro’s can count to 15, and yes you don’t know on which skill it will proc. but a player has a brain right? a pro player knows thier kittening cd’s by now, So why bring this up? u are bullkittenting me, we both know that counting cd’s means kitten for a pro player. they know thier kittening class man!!

Have to stop you here because you’re trying to explain something without having any prior knowledge or experience in.

A popular build does not necessarily mean it’s the most effective… a prime example is Tage’s “burst burn” build (it wasn’t a burst burn build fyi) that every burn guard started using. It got on Metabattle by the sheer fact that he brought it in the finals.

First off, the build you say that isn’t meta is more 1v1 all-rounder rather than TPvP skirmish fights that ESL players apparently use.

Dragon’s Maw is not a requirement. Unless you don’t need Renewed Focus sustains and could go for CC/Damages instead.
Procession of Blades is not a requirement. Unless you can sacrifice a medi stunbreak/heal/cleanses for additional aoe damages.

If Maw fails to CC or deal damage, then you’re without an elite. You’d need a competent team to do what Renewed Focus is meant to do. Same goes for any other traps a DH chooses to bring in replace of a medi.

I’ll tell you one thing though, 3 or more traps wont 1v1 as efficiently as just 2 traps + Renewed Focus. And Hunter’s Fort is not needed against a Power meta so… I wouldn’t even choose it unless there’s 2 or more condi classes imo.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

StickerHappy.8052

if u actually look at what most guardians use, aka the rule and not the kittening execption which will include procession of blades. your build is actually noticably different. but u kittening keeping hanging on how much has changed rather then looking at the overal effectivness of the build and what guardians on average use for thier optional utilities which is more often then not dragons maw and procession of blades for kittens sake!!!. which is better then medidations which only apply to your own self sustain. fury is something tons of other elite specs can offer!!! I will say it again it’s a selfish build. as for the 15 sec cd on heavy light. yes pro’s can count to 15, and yes you don’t know on which skill it will proc. but a player has a brain right? a pro player knows thier kittening cd’s by now, So why bring this up? u are bullkittenting me, we both know that counting cd’s means kitten for a pro player. they know thier kittening class man!!

Have to stop you here because you’re trying to explain something without having any prior knowledge or experience in.

A popular build does not necessarily mean it’s the most effective… a prime example is Tage’s “burst burn” build (it wasn’t a burst burn build fyi) that every burn guard started using. It got on Metabattle by the sheer fact that he brought it in the finals.

First off, the build you say that isn’t meta is more 1v1 all-rounder rather than TPvP skirmish fights that ESL players apparently use.

Dragon’s Maw is not a requirement. Unless you don’t need Renewed Focus sustains and could go for CC/Damages instead.
Procession of Blades is not a requirement. Unless you can sacrifice a medi stunbreak/heal/cleanses for additional aoe damages.

If Maw fails to CC or deal damage, then you’re without an elite. You’d need a competent team to do what Renewed Focus is meant to do. Same goes for any other traps a DH chooses to bring in replace of a medi.

I’ll tell you one thing though, 3 or more traps wont 1v1 as efficiently as just 2 traps + Renewed Focus. And Hunter’s Fort is not needed against a Power meta so… I wouldn’t even choose it unless there’s 2 or more condi classes imo.

Thank you Saiyan… Thank you very much.

in PvP

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Dragon hunter is fine. It is not weak and it sure as hell is not OP. It has great synergies with both melee and ranged weapon sets.

in PvP

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

slap an extra 2 second cd on true shot, reduce cooldown on skill5, make dragon’s maw ring more visible and a bit larger and call it a day.

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in PvP

Posted by: Lorelei.3918

Lorelei.3918

Yep traps that do as much dmg as wells aren’t OP at all in a game mode that revolves around fighting on the point. Wells have nothing on traps, since you can lay one set, and by the time someone steps on them they are off CD so you can then follow up with a second set. Boy I wish I could cast wells twice in a row like that!

And DH is the prime reason thieves still suck in pvp. The fact DH hard counters thieves wouldn’t be so bad were it not for the fact that every spvp team has like 3 DH’ers in it.

I mean the whole argument DH users use is “We’re not OP because Reapers beat us.”

OK so there is one class more OP then you… * slow clap *

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

1. First, … DH, is the only Elite spec, that has a clear, base buff on their Class Mechanic Skill,

Reaper Shroud is a clear base buff over Death Shroud in pretty much every single way.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

Yep traps that do as much dmg as wells aren’t OP at all in a game mode that revolves around fighting on the point. Wells have nothing on traps, since you can lay one set, and by the time someone steps on them they are off CD so you can then follow up with a second set. Boy I wish I could cast wells twice in a row like that!

And DH is the prime reason thieves still suck in pvp. The fact DH hard counters thieves wouldn’t be so bad were it not for the fact that every spvp team has like 3 DH’ers in it.

I mean the whole argument DH users use is “We’re not OP because Reapers beat us.”

So your complaint:

1. Wells are different than traps.
2.DH hard counters thf (core guard didn’t?)

Bohoo

in PvP

Posted by: Miles Smiles.8951

Miles Smiles.8951

Oh yeah, that’s why we’re not even likely to see DH in season finals: they’re so overtuned that pro players don’t want to exploit, right?
Why do you even think you’re reliable enough to tell people what’s op and what needs to be changed? Your confident statements about some spec being an “anet’s failed experiment” doesn’t really look so smart imo (and for the most part because of your confidence, you know, overconfident people often tend to be ignorant).
Sorry for the direct call, but…

but I cant take this anymore, and this has to be said.

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

No, lots of people play thieves wrong because they heard about top ESL players excelling on the class so they wanted to try it themselves only to find they aren’t playing the class correctly. DH also has a relatively low skill floor and ceiling whereas thief has a high floor and ceiling. I think a duel between a top player on DH and a top player on thief would be in the thief’s favor. Both are highly skilled players, but the thief’s higher skill cap would allow its skill to shine whereas the DH would hit a wall being limited by his class’ mechanics. This is just taking 1v1 into consideration a big group encounter may be different. Power rev and druid hardcounter DH and power rev in turn is hard countered by necro, which in turn is hard countered by thief so the wheel keeps turning.

in PvP

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

What really happened was that the Dev listened to the players fears that DH would be a complete failure (the supposed condie-orientated trap DH freaked everyone out) that nobody would use and did as they demanded (I admit I was there, ashamed now), and buffed everything over the top. Bleeds on traps were replaced with more power, daze was added, boons added to traps, longbow damage buffed 12,5%, healing increased, F3 made to block all attacks instead of only projectiles, everything buffed until we ended up in a situation were basically everything DH has is simply superior to core Guardian, instead of being an alternative traitline.
I’d really blame the playerbase for the situation we are now in

9 Guardians later…

in PvP

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

and after all those buffs, DHs still aren’t used in pro league.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in PvP

Posted by: EthanLightheart.9168

EthanLightheart.9168

Same goes with reaper, it’s reapdicolous! Does everyone have to play reaper now or what?

in PvP

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

They should remove class stacking in PvP honestly, I can’t do anything if I play with a class that 2-3 DH counters in the other team, the same goes with Reapers…

in PvP

Agemnon.4608

Same goes with reaper, it’s reapdicolous! Does everyone have to play reaper now or what?

1.Its mobility is lacking and has poor disengage potential making it sound unfun in open world PvE, WvW and PvP since you need to stick around and can’t just disengage if that’d be the optimal course of action.

2.Relies on conditions.

3.This means if someone else engages you then you need to commit to the fight and lots of your damage won’t be actively earned.

So no, I won’t play reaper although the male Asura, “Your soul is mine!” line is among the best in the entire game.

in PvP

Posted by: Regon Phoenix.8215

Regon Phoenix.8215

You know why feminists tries to put quota of female workers? Because they play professional victims and say that men have it better than women.

Here we see the same thing with OP. He wants to get Dragon Hunters nerfed, because he plays victim and says that Dragon Hunters are too strong.

Welp, Dragon Hunters are fine. Deal with it. If you don’t know how to play against someone and they destroyed you, then you are the problem, not the class.

When you fall, i will be right behind you and whisper: “Who will protect you now?”

in PvP

Posted by: Starbreaker.6507

Starbreaker.6507

So no, I won’t play reaper although the male Asura, “Your soul is mine!” line is among the best in the entire game.

That and I like when they say "I’ve beaten you, but you just don’t know it yet "

(edited by Starbreaker.6507)

in PvP

Posted by: Susu.9261

Susu.9261

I have seen about 3 non-DH guardians in structured PvP in months.
This alone should be a clue.

in PvP

Posted by: Floplag.4032

Floplag.4032

Is the DH strong burst wise, yes, it HAS to be to be viable since our sustained isnt exactly that strong. BUT, it absolutely has counters, which is to say basically anything that can trigger the traps, players that dont go by the name leeroy jenkins, or some basic intelligence.

If you have anything that can triger the traps… they are easy kills
If you dont just jump in like an idiot, they are easy kills.
If you think with your brain and not your balls, they are… wait for it… easy kills.

In any event they are far from the worst over tuned spec right now and are not even likely in the meta discussion. Reaper, Scrapper, Thief, all much stronger right now to the point that i literally cannot fathom what im seeing right now going live for season 2.

in PvP

Susu.9261

…If you have anything that can triger the traps… they are easy kills
If you think with your brain and not your balls, they are… wait for it… easy kills. …

If I’ve played on Courtyard, I’d just kite the DH. However all maps are objective based.
Also, how many classes can trigger the traps with something? Not many actually.
What I absolutely don’t get, why 2 traps have zero activation time.

in PvP

Darknicrofia.2604

I have seen about 3 non-DH guardians in structured PvP in months.
This alone should be a clue.

funny, because I’ve seen like 3 DHs through most of diamond/legendary tier matches all of last season.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

A few comments:

• at pro level, DH is not played anymore, because it is bad
  • DH medi-trapper is a noob-stomping build.

This being said

• DH virtues are not instant (while guardians are). That is why many people complained in the forum and they buffed them to make up for it. In my opinion, DH virtues should be stronger but without ally effect, so trading ally support for stronger personal defense/offense. F1 does that already. F2 still heals allies, which I think should be removed, but a higher self-heal + mobility is fine. F3 for guardian is underwhelming, it is better for DH. But here, I think buff the guardian one (1 aegis on more than 40s CD?)
  • traps are not that well-designed. They are too strong for noobs who don’t dodge them, too weak for non-noobs who dodge them. The DH sacrifices meditations (meaning healing and defensive utilities) for them. The trap trait is annoying, just spamming daze, but does not really add flavor.

So yes, this needs to be improved.

How do you know that they will not be played at the pro level? There haven’t been any pro matches since the balance patch.

in PvP

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

1.Its mobility is lacking and has poor disengage potential making it sound unfun in open world PvE, WvW and PvP since you need to stick around and can’t just disengage if that’d be the optimal course of action.

2.Relies on conditions.

3.This means if someone else engages you then you need to commit to the fight and lots of your damage won’t be actively earned.

Mobility on reaper isnt actually that bad compared to base necro and a few other classes.
It doesnt really rely on conditions. Thats a build choice.
The first half of this point is true but the second half is wrong due to point two being incorrect.

in PvP

Posted by: Americium.7182

Americium.7182

Everyone except necro and war. “Not many”, yeah.

in PvP

Darknicrofia.2604

reaper’s so called lack of mobility is so blown out of proportion

why do you need so much mobility when you kitten out perma chill? slowing everything else down by 66% isn’t enough yet?

in PvP

Susu.9261

Enlighten me. Really.

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.3952

Booms.3952

Enlighten me. Really.

Mes – clones
Necro – minions (yes ppl still run that kittening flesh golem)
Ranger – pet
engi – gyros
rev – drop the hammer (ya no one uses it)

then of course the reamining:
thief: most dodge rolls than anything thats ever existed
revenant: 2nd most dodge rolls than anything thats ever existed

so ele and warrior are really the ones screwed. but ele has so much projectile hate with focus and auras that the traps are the ONLY damage a guardian does to them. and when you ONLY take trap damage, its not much.

so warriors get kitten

#1 gerdian na
0 counterplay

in PvP

Susu.9261

Enlighten me. Really.

Mes – clones
Necro – minions (yes ppl still run that kittening flesh golem)
Ranger – pet
engi – gyros
rev – drop the hammer (ya no one uses it)

then of course the reamining:
thief: most dodge rolls than anything thats ever existed
revenant: 2nd most dodge rolls than anything thats ever existed

so ele and warrior are really the ones screwed. but ele has so much projectile hate with focus and auras that the traps are the ONLY damage a guardian does to them. and when you ONLY take trap damage, its not much.

so warriors get kitten

Thanks, for the response. I think the elit trap counters dodging – or was it getting dazed? – , so it’s not helping in my case. Also I can’t really do a lot when DH dumps 3 traps on top of me in 0.5 sec. (Fragments of Faith, Test of Faith has 0 activation time).

I have good results with rangers – pet sacrifice – and also necro can relatively safely tank the traps. The rest of classes worked like you’ve written, but only when DH had pre-activated traps.. not when DH’s dumping them on top of me.

Well I’m not very skilled, so it really could be me failing. Thanks again.

in PvP

Floplag.4032

If you think with your brain and not your balls, they are… wait for it… easy kills. …

If I’ve played on Courtyard, I’d just kite the DH. However all maps are objective based.

objective maps make it easy to know where the traps are, others its still fairly obvious most of the time. You want a big indicators to dumb it down and make it useless? Serious if you want that then let us throw them at distance like mes/necro wells. They are stationary, thus avoidable in 90% of situations.

The triggering someone else mentioned.

Why no activation, again see stationary. you want a cast time and a stationary position? Ask trap rangers how well that works out for them. Here’s a hint, you’ll have trouble finding one.

Bottom line a mind is a terrible thing to waste… use it and DH become very mortal very fast.

in PvP

Susu.9261

objective maps make it easy to know where the traps are, others its still fairly obvious most of the time. You want a big indicators to dumb it down and make it useless? Serious if you want that then let us throw them at distance like mes/necro wells. They are stationary, thus avoidable in 90% of situations.

Why no activation, again see stationary. you want a cast time and a stationary position? Ask trap rangers how well that works out for them. Here’s a hint, you’ll have trouble finding one.

Bottom line a mind is a terrible thing to waste… use it and DH become very mortal very fast.

How do you trigger a trap with clones? Only noob DHs stay behind or on top of traps. They generally fight in front of the trapped area, spear you and then drag you into the trap. Or if you are melee, they just drop it on top of you. I’m sure I’m not telling anything new.
Edit: I don’t think ranger are a good example, since their traps have 0.5 sec activation time.

in PvP

Floplag.4032

How do you trigger a trap with clones? Only noob DHs stay behind or on top of traps. They generally fight in front of the trapped area, spear you and then drag you into the trap. Or if you are melee, they just drop it on top of you. I’m sure I’m not telling anything new.
Edit: I don’t think ranger are a good example, since their traps have 0.5 sec activation time.

Its funny that you would use the “only noobs would do thus and so” argument when the point im trying to make is that only noobs would charge into a DH without considering the traps location.
The pull can be resisted, line of sight, roll out of range, any number of ways… again use your brain here, if you get caught virtually every class has some kind of damage evasion capability, use it. Cant have that cake and eat it to.
As for ranger traps you are right, which is precisely why its a dead spec, well that and the damage got nerfed into the ground.
Ask yourself this, without those traps what does that class have? I know you arent scared of the bow so…
Im sure you will get your way and DH will go the way of the trap ranger which is why i stopped playing mine after season one… the recent boosting to AA and set and forget condi builds is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion, you should be a whole lot more concerned with that over anything a DH does, but thats just me.

in PvP

Agemnon.4608

why do you need so much mobility when you kitten out perma chill? slowing everything else down by 66% isn’t enough yet?

Reaper is strong but the style doesn’t really fit me. I’d rather have more freedom of positioning or disengaging. I honestly think the very concept of chill is a bad design decision.

in PvP

Floplag.4032

Reaper is strong but the style doesn’t really fit me. I’d rather have more freedom of positioning or disengaging. I honestly think the very concept of chill is a bad design decision.

Why? the game has a Quickness and Swiftness feature, why is Slow or Chill out of line? What is bad is how easy and how many ways a Reaper can apply it.

in PvP

Posted by: LordOtto.2650

LordOtto.2650

Who has problem with DH is simply an unskilled player, really, and didn’t even played ranked, or he managed max to sapphire…
The most OP elite is Condi Reaper now, but it can be countered to, if you know them a bit..
Play more and get gut!

in PvP

Posted by: Dristig.9678

Dristig.9678

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is how the mechanics of DH favor sPvP and certain maps in general. I always notice that DHs are a real pain on Forest for example. Forest mid point in particular is made for DH. It has everything they need to be really annoying. It has a tiny capture point (about the size of a trap) it has nice sight lines and elevation so you can true shot anyone that comes through the lower doors and it has a blind corner to LoS people that jump from above (and land on your trap).

DH is noticeably less annoying on Foefire unless they double team mid and intelligently cover the capture point with traps (lol).

in PvP

Susu.9261

Its funny that you would use the “only noobs would do thus and so” argument when the point im trying to make is that only noobs would charge into a DH without considering the traps location.
The pull can be resisted, line of sight, roll out of range, any number of ways… again use your brain here, if you get caught virtually every class has some kind of damage evasion capability, use it. Cant have that cake and eat it to.
As for ranger traps you are right, which is precisely why its a dead spec, well that and the damage got nerfed into the ground.
Ask yourself this, without those traps what does that class have? I know you arent scared of the bow so…
Im sure you will get your way and DH will go the way of the trap ranger which is why i stopped playing mine after season one… the recent boosting to AA and set and forget condi builds is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion, you should be a whole lot more concerned with that over anything a DH does, but thats just me.

Yea.. you are right about a lot of things.
But I still dislike skills setting up damaging fields with zero activation. I didn’t like one of the necro wells for the same reason – even tho I’ve abused it like the kitten I am.

For mirth: We could approach it the other way around: make every trap and aoe skill zero activation time

Edit: lol.. this forums replaces offending words.. kitten… Hahaha!

(edited by Susu.9261)

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Just wanted to add that the title is miss leading. Warriors are the biggest failed experiment. Things were quiet at the sneak peak reveal because many had no clue what to expect, then slowly the perception of Berzerker turned into a huge concern amongst the community as no one knew their role/viability in TPvP. Months later, condi War is absolutely terrible in every aspect; the class simply does not work even after the most recent balance patch.

Thieves are second to Warriors up till the recent patch. They were so out of place, Anet gave thieves a huge buff while even thinking of “giving their evade dodges a mechanical overhaul” sort of speak… not sure if they’ve changed it or are still looking into it.

As for DH, we’re very counterable. Ele/Engi/Ranger/Rev have at least 1 build each that can completely counter us 1v1 while (disregarding the fact that Necro & Thief would have to make a few mistakes to lose) Necro/War/Thief is usually 50/50 matchup on a good day.

Taken from strict 1v1 dueling servers and not higher tier builds these classes play in TPvP. In other words, what I said about condi mesmer is true but that build’s performance is poor in TPvP.

Guardians are technically in the same spot in regards to soloQ, still a nuissance. Except this time around, we’re seeing a bit of daylight in tourney thanks to 0 class stacking, but barely hanging on.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

Floplag.4032

Yea.. you are right about a lot of things.
But I still dislike skills setting up damaging fields with zero activation. I didn’t like one of the necro wells for the same reason – even tho I’ve abused it like the kitten I am.

For mirth: We could approach it the other way around: make every trap and aoe skill zero activation time

Edit: lol.. this forums replaces offending words.. kitten… Hahaha!

I personally as someone who plays a Ranger main and a DH would prefer to let me place traps at range like wells so that i would actually be viable in WvW as well. I would trade that for a short activation time like well myself. i hate being forced to play something i dont really want to play to be viable in that game mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Lorelei.3918

Lorelei.3918

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is how the mechanics of DH favor sPvP and certain maps in general. I always notice that DHs are a real pain on Forest for example. Forest mid point in particular is made for DH. It has everything they need to be really annoying. It has a tiny capture point (about the size of a trap) it has nice sight lines and elevation so you can true shot anyone that comes through the lower doors and it has a blind corner to LoS people that jump from above (and land on your trap).

DH is noticeably less annoying on Foefire unless they double team mid and intelligently cover the capture point with traps (lol).

I mentioned this in my post earlier. DH are only OP when it comes to spvp. I would go further and say that the only map they are not OP on is Foefire, because it is the only map I know of with a good sized control point.

IMO all the maps should be remade with similar large control points. Almost everyone picks Foefire when available. I’m willing to bet money the people who don’t are Dragon Hunters.